• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50

Does anyone know if the LHT 3-15 throw levers fit this version? The typical throw lever retailers don't distinguish between the models, and I want to verify they're the same rather than sites haven't ben updated. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the LHT 3-15 throw levers fit this version? The typical throw lever retailers don't distinguish between the models, and I want to verify they're the same rather than sites haven't ben updated. Thanks.
Well,both scopes have the same size knob so I'm sure they are the same. My question is what lever do you have because none of the Vortex SV's call out the LHT and I need to source one eventually. I'm really liking these LHT's, especially the 3-15 SFP scope ret for close varmint shots.
Cheers,Scott

Well,both scopes have the same size knob so I'm sure they are the same. My question is what lever do you have because none of the Vortex SV's call out the LHT and I need to source one eventually. I'm really liking these LHT's, especially the 3-15 SFP scope ret for close varmint shots.
Cheers,Scott
Thanks. I'm looking at the AO levers as they're my go to as long as they cover the application. I have them for a variety of Burris and Athlon optics.

MK Machining makes some for the LHT

Yes, they do fit. I also make throw levers. $15 each.

...It looks pretty sweet being so light, I can't help but think the mag range should've been 4-20. The FOV spec at 4.5x in narrower than the PST 5-25 at 5x. I can appreciate they sacrificed FOV for weight savings in the LHT line but it pains me to see it so much narrower than the PST line (17% better). I'm probably just splitting hairs, I'm guessing most folk wont use this scope in tight brush where they need less magnification.
Just reviewed this thread again, and beetroot's comment above caught my attention. Currently I have a 1.5-6x42 Burris Four-X scope mounted on my main deer rifle (18" Ruger M77 in .308) and it works very well for the wooded areas I hunt in central and east Texas. I very rarely see shots over 125 yards or so and typically leave magnification set at @ 3x. I can't see putting this new LHT on my rifle. If they could make a 3.5-17 (same erector ratio as 4.5-22) it would have a lot more appeal to me and perhaps other hunters in the eastern half of North America. That 1x difference between 3.5 and 4.5 doesn't sound like much, but it really is when you need to get the biggest FOV possible at low mag, and it would arguably still have enough top-end mag to be useful for long range shooting. Otherwise, this new Vortex looks like an excellent scope. Maybe they'll expand the line in the future.

Reactions: 260284
yeah imo 3-15, just like their other LHT's, would be a great mag range. but given this is going on an elk gun where i will prob shoot in the 100 - 500yd range, the 4.5-22 should work, esp being that i prefer to hold and the one i got is ffp where the reticle will be accurate at any x.

You will love it. Light, Great IQ, good reticle. Its the perfect hunting scope, other than the tight mag ring.

I would have loved to use it for NRL hunter but the zero stop limiting elevation is kinda silly.
You do not have to put the zero stop ring in, but even if you do you still have 11 mils or so which is plenty,

Reactions: Holliday
Just reviewed this thread again, and beetroot's comment above caught my attention. Currently I have a 1.5-6x42 Burris Four-X scope mounted on my main deer rifle (18" Ruger M77 in .308) and it works very well for the wooded areas I hunt in central and east Texas. I very rarely see shots over 125 yards or so and typically leave magnification set at @ 3x. I can't see putting this new LHT on my rifle. If they could make a 3.5-17 (same erector ratio as 4.5-22) it would have a lot more appeal to me and perhaps other hunters in the eastern half of North America. That 1x difference between 3.5 and 4.5 doesn't sound like much, but it really is when you need to get the biggest FOV possible at low mag, and it would arguably still have enough top-end mag to be useful for long range shooting. Otherwise, this new Vortex looks like an excellent scope. Maybe they'll expand the line in the future.
I wonder if they'll make a FFP version of the 3-15x42, it would be an easy solution to the problem you raised.

I'm basically in the same boat as you, the FOV on the low end is just too high for any use I have for a hunting scope.

Reactions: rhsc and Texascbr
For those of you who've compared the 3-15×42 LHT to the 4.5-22×50 is there any improvement in the eye box?

I bought a 3-15 this spring and hated the tunneling effect, it was a huge pain in the ass getting on target with any reasonable speed shooting prone..
I sold it and picked up a vx5 which Is way easier to get behind but still not great

Replying to my own post to update that I've decided to keep all three of my scopes because I really like the optic. The good news is one scope out of the three has what I'd say is appropriate "pop-up" tension for a hunting optic. The one in the vid is the worst, and one is in-between.

Vortex has agreed to take a look at the scopes and the lead engineer had some ideas like adding more grease to an o-ring, making a custom spacer, or finding a scope with more tension.

This didn't come up in development, he said, and no feedback except mine has yet reached his ears.

I like Vortex customer service.

Anyway, there you have it and I'll update this thread on what happens. @Diver160651
Sorry for the continual replying to my own emails, but it'll help others backtrack.

Short version: I sent in two scopes with elevation dials that popped up too easy. A couple of weeks ago, I got my two Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50's back from Vortex. Although it took awhile, they did me right. They searched their scopes and found two with much more tension in the pop-up mechanism and sent them to me. I'm a happy camper now. @Diver160651

Yea it was pretty bad. A throw lever is pretty much required. EVERYTHING else on the scope however is pretty awesome. I would like a little bit better turrets but for $1200 at that weight, Size, glass quality and reticle its a home run for a hunting optic.

The only upgrade IMO would be a ZCO 4-20 or a TT 3-15.

@koshkin said the one he tested did not have a tight mag ring, so its possible only certain units are effected.

Mine also does not have a tight mag ring. My first guess (as a mechanical engineer) is a wider tolerance band at the sealing interfaces, and a thick enough o ring to account for the largest possible gap, which ends up over compressed with the tightest possible gap.

Alternatively, are people seeing different stiffness if it’s warm vs cold? Could also be related to thermal expansion or grease consistency.

Reactions: Stickshift
Mine are tight but manageable. I have a TT 3-15H and I like the LHT better. I guess something is wrong with me. 😂

I posted this in another thread but I’ll ask here too;

The Bushnell LRTS/LRHSi are at the top
of my list for a rifle I should be receiving here shortly. That was until this bad boy came out.

Is the price difference between the Bushy and this new Vortex worth it? The main limiting factors I see are the 6mil dials and push button illumination on the Vortex.

Yes mine is almost impossible to turn. This optic reminded me why I got away from vortex in the first place.
I checked one out yesterday at a local Cabela’s. Mag ring was really hard to turn - a cattail would be a must have. Parallax was pretty stiff. Locking elevation was easy to lift, but the turrets felt really mushy. Glass seemed good but hard tell in the store. I know everybody is raving about these things but it just felt cheaply done, especially for the Razor line. Fit and finish on my Razor Gen 1, Gen II and AMG were all much nicer.

Reactions: Texascbr
^^ exactly. It doesn't stand up to the razor line IMO.

You'd think it's a hunting optic....you're usually wearing gloves, and need to be able to adjust your optic easily. No way in hell your adjusting mag or parralax easily with gloves on in cold weather.

My parallax isn't stiff, but my magnification is stiff, throw lever works well. Yes the turrets aren't great. They work though and the scope tracks in my testing. I shot my muley at 670y bout 30 mins into legal light a few weeks back. I feel the scope does a great job gathering light, has by far the best long range reticle in its weight class. The mk5hd 3.6-18x44 compares okay to it optically, better in terms of turrets and power, however it's 4oz heavier, and the glass IQ isn't as good. I feel this scope has its own slot, very light, high magnification, ffp, good long range reticle. Yes March makes weight class competitive scopes but at 2x the price. They suffer in eyebox/parallax, but may have better glass and definitely better turrets and power/parallax dexterity. I had a bushy 4.5-18x44 elite hunter. I disliked the heavy reticle, and narrow FOV. yeah the turrets were definitely better than the HD lht, but other than that particular grading, I feel the vortex bests it in all other categories. The busy feels more solid, which it's 6oz heavier and has a larger turret housing, feels denser, the vortex feels more hollow? Hard to describe. But overall I'm extremely happy with my 4.5-22x50 and will likely buy more of them for rifles where making a weight is in mind.

In regards to stiff controls, I find with some scopes, a breaking in period is needed. I twist zoom rings and parallax knobs back and forth a bunch to (sometimes) mitigate. I also notice some scopes settle back into stiffness if not used for a while, and that my PST II's and LHT's do have wide stiffness variation (roughly eight PST II's, three LHT 4.5-22, one SFP LHT 3-15).

I gotta say, though, it's not a big deal (to me). Once I get a scope to a mag setting, I don't tend to move it too much in the field when hunting. I use binos or spotters for finding game and mostly leave the scope at the mag that I think I need. But I'm not a gamer and tend not to shoot in more dynamic situations.

In regards to stiff controls, I find with some scopes, a breaking in period is needed. I twist zoom rings and parallax knobs back and forth a bunch to (sometimes) mitigate. I also notice some scopes settle back into stiffness if not used for a while, and that my PST II's and LHT's do have wide stiffness variation (roughly eight PST II's, three LHT 4.5-22, one SFP LHT 3-15).

I gotta say, though, it's not a big deal (to me). Once I get a scope to a mag setting, I don't tend to move it too much in the field when hunting. I use binos or spotters for finding game and mostly leave the scope at the mag that I think I need. But I'm not a gamer and tend not to shoot in more dynamic situations.
Do you feel the eye box is any better on the 4.5-22 compared to the 3-15×42?

Yes, it's unreal how stiff it is, my parallax is still as well, I like everything else about the scope.
I make a focus wheel for that parallax ;)

LH levers if made precisely, do NOT fit the LH/T. The "nub" is slightly different. Found that out upon release.

However, they can be backwards compatible if a lever is made to fit the LH/T as the diameter is the same.

I make a focus wheel for that parallax ;)

LH levers if made precisely, do NOT fit the LH/T. The "nub" is slightly different. Found that out upon release.

However, they can be backwards compatible if a lever is made to fit the LH/T as the diameter is the same.
I bought your mag lever but i was not aware you made a parallax wheel, thanks.

Do you feel the eye box is any better on the 4.5-22 compared to the 3-15×42?
Just tested that out on a tripod. (Edit: don’t have the 42mm LHT, just the 50mm with the G4 reticle). At 15x the 50mm LHTs are a tie.

On a tangent: the PST II 3-15 has a wee bit better eyebox than either to my eye (I know you didn’t ask but I just had to check). But of course it’s heavier, supposedly worse glass (I have the start of cataracts so hard for me to tell), no locking turrets etc but I think that particular model is a gem with its wider FOV than either LHT. Koshkin likes it too.

Even with cataracts I noticed my PST II 5-25 definitely has a bit (a bit!) worse glass than the LHTs (and PST II 3-15), but that PST II 3-15 has some magic and punches above its weight class.

Again, take what you will from this cataract guy.

But after I spun a PST II turret while hunting, the LHT 4.5-22 get the nod for PD shooting while walking about.

Last edited:
Just tested that out on a tripod. At 15x the LHTs are a tie.

On a tangent: the PST II 3-15 has a wee bit better eyebox than either to my eye (I know you didn’t ask but I just had to check). But of course it’s heavier, supposedly worse glass (I have the start of cataracts so hard for me to tell), no locking turrets etc but I think that particular model is a gem with its wider FOV than either LHT. Koshkin likes it too.

Even with cataracts I noticed my PST II 5-25 definitely has a bit (a bit!) worse glass than the LHTs (and PST II 3-15), but that PST II 3-15 has some magic and punches above its weight class.

Again, take what you will from this cataract guy.

But after I spun a PST II turret while hunting, the LHT 4.5-22 get the nod for PD shooting while walking about.
Thanks
I was hoping to hear that the eye box was improved, maybe it was just me but I had a hell of a time with tunneling on my 3-15 lht.

I edited my post. I don’t have the 42mm LHT. FYI.
Thanks that makes a difference!
I'm suspecting/hoping the issues I had were due to the 42mm objective at max magnification.
The 4.5-22 is one I'm considering seriously for a lightweight lr hunting setup

Thanks that makes a difference!
I'm suspecting/hoping the issues I had were due to the 42mm objective at max magnification.
The 4.5-22 is one I'm considering seriously for a lightweight lr hunting setup
If your a ffp mil guy, there is no better choice unless your willing to get a March 3-24x52. But that scope still has eyebox sensitivity and requires a lot of parallax tuning. However you get slightly better glass, excellent turrets and smoother mag/parallax rings.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
If your a ffp mil guy, there is no better choice unless your willing to get a March 3-24x52. But that scope still has eyebox sensitivity and requires a lot of parallax tuning. However you get slightly better glass, excellent turrets and smoother mag/parallax rings.
Good to hear
I actually run a March FX 4.5-28 on my 30 Nos, it's an awesome scope but I cant afford another.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I've been looking at scopes that would work on an AR15 SPR that would be at home both in the field as well as shooting some Quantified Performance or IWI gas gun matches. This definitely looks like it could bridge those two well. I had been leaning heavily toward an XTRIII, but with this scope being nearly 1/3 lighter, I think this scope with an offset dot would be a pretty damn good setup for a lighter SPR that could still do work on the square range. Has anyone here run this scope in a similar setup?

Reactions: Glassaholic