• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II

In other news optics planet have changed the time from 1-7days to 2-5months :/

Doug,

Thanks for posting in here. Do you know if all of the orders that were submitted will be fulfilled soon? I called the shop and was told that my order might ship Monday or Tuesday. When I emailed Vortex they could not tell me when my order would be shipped, but he told me the FFP 5-25x50 MOA scopes are backordered until August.

Thank you,

Robert Holden

Hi Robert,
Vortex usually inventories all deliveries over the weekend and we get a new allocation inventory list on Monday mornings. I will know Monday by 10AM if you'd like to give a call I can know for sure.

Hi Robert,
Vortex usually inventories all deliveries over the weekend and we get a new allocation inventory list on Monday mornings. I will know Monday by 10AM if you'd like to give a call I can know for sure.
Doug and Neil have been nothing but helpful ! You are both an asset to the shooting community

I am not sure why, but I am going to throw my .02 into this shit show. If a company's website shows "in stock" call me crazy, but to me the product should be physically on hand and ready to ship.......as for Vortex I think they make some really great scopes have the best warranty hands down, but when it comes to bringing a new product to market they sure make shit show out of it......I am going to get a PST Gen 2 FFP Mil, but that vendor will have to physically have it on hand ready to ship before they get my CC number.

I agree 100% with having a product in stock if you advertise it but not the second part. Vortex doesn't make the "shit show". Vortex is always pretty accurate and honest about when one of their new products will hit the market and they will usually go on the farher side of an approximate date versus saying it will be sooner and make people wait longer than they thought. They were right on with the AMG and still on with the Gen II PST. Some SFP models shipped a little earlier but not all so you still need to go by their original statement on release and ship date. The issue comes with vendors wanting to be the first to make sales, as they are competing for your sale, and putting it on their site and some advertising it as in stock when it's not. Getting in on a pre order is fine but as long as you know it might be a while. "Coming soon" on vendors site's means different things to people. Some people see "soon" as next week when "soon" could actually be months.

Bottom line is that if you have a question of when a Vortex scope will be shipping then call Vortex and ask. They are great to deal with and aren't bothered by the calls.

Midway USA says the PST gen 2 2-10 ffp mrad is in stock. Also 3-15's, 1-6's and 5-25 sfp's.

Last edited:
Doug and Neil have been nothing but helpful ! You are both an asset to the shooting community

+1, I just ordered a Razor 42706 and thought they were great to deal with. Scott and Neil were great, and I asked to speak with Doug just to thank him for a great transaction.

Reading this thread makes me feel alot better about cancelling my order about a month ago and going in a different direction.. Don't get me wrong, I'll have a PST II at some point for a 223, just glad I decided to grab a NF and put the Vortex on hold until readily available... Hope you guys get some scopes in your hands soon..

Just ordered my Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15 x 44 FFP MOA for my new hunting rig today afternoon from MidwayUsa, already shipped.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am not sure why, but I am going to throw my .02 into this shit show. If a company's website shows "in stock" call me crazy, but to me the product should be physically on hand and ready to ship.......as for Vortex I think they make some really great scopes have the best warranty hands down, but when it comes to bringing a new product to market they sure make shit show out of it......I am going to get a PST Gen 2 FFP Mil, but that vendor will have to physically have it on hand ready to ship before they get my CC number.

I'll just say here that you don't seem to taking into account the speed of of the market you are dealing with here.

Vortex has done an outstanding job of building an affordable quality scope. With those two things in mind demand will be high. And, available quantities are going to suffer until that increased demand can be met. Vortex didn't start the shit show. They do their best to see the demand then fill it. They can't always see the increase in demand coming. So, they produce at the expected rate, an backfill what they can as demand increases.

You really ought to be glad that they don't jack the prices like other scope companies have when demand is this high.

I'll just say here that you don't seem to taking into account the speed of of the market you are dealing with here.

Vortex has done an outstanding job of building an affordable quality scope. With those two things in mind demand will be high. And, available quantities are going to suffer until that increased demand can be met. Vortex didn't start the shit show. They do their best to see the demand then fill it. They can't always see the increase in demand coming. So, they produce at the expected rate, an backfill what they can as demand increases.

You really ought to be glad that they don't jack the prices like other scope companies have when demand is this high.

I see your points and they are valid, but it seems like Vortex lets the cat out of the bag on new scopes a good amount of time before they are even ready to ship the very first batch which IMO adds to the "shit show" I understand some pre release hype to get the customer's mouth watering maybe a few weeks before they are ready to ship, but it seems like Vortex likes dangling that carrot 3-6 months before they can give it to you and IMO that adds to the "shit show" When NF released the new 7-35 ATACR they were shipping within 3-4 weeks not 3-4 months when NF released the new ATACR with the MIL-C reticle again shipping within 3-4 weeks not 3-4 months.

Announcing new products at SHOT isn't creating a "shit show". That is what it is for. It's not dangling a carrot but informing the customers of products you have coming. They always gave accurate timelines. They never created any "shit show". That happened when vendors started taking people's money and then people got upset because they didn;t get their scope the next week when Vortex had always told them when they would ship.

Bottom line is if you need to know when they will arrive call Vortex. Not the dealers.

In the past 6 10 years I would say scope quality per dollar spend had increased 5 fold, thanks to Vortex for the most part. What you get for $1k today cost you 4 k 10 years ago. Everyone needs to relax. I hope they delay this dam gen 2 pst so they can speed up delivery of my AMG.;)

The PST II and AMG are each made at different locations/countries therefor the production of one doesn't affect the other.

I did get my switch view SV-5 in though and it was backordered a few weeks ago. Sometime this summer I'll even get to mount it. If more people canceled their orders.....I might get mine sooner.

When NF released the new 7-35 ATACR they were shipping within 3-4 weeks not 3-4 months when NF released the new ATACR with the MIL-C reticle again shipping within 3-4 weeks not 3-4 months.
Do you know anything about the Nightforce Beast or the first Atacr release? It was 2 years people waited. They got so burned, everyone ran to Vortex scope.
The people on this site are their own worst enemy. Just because you saw on it FB or Instagram doesn't mean it's available in the marketplace. You gotta be the first to have it and then bitch when you have to wait.

So I got to play around a little with an FFP/MOA 3-15x this past weekend and I have to say I was extremely impressed. I own the G1 4-16 PST and everything I don't like about that optic has been resolved in the G2 3-15. One thing Im really picky about is eyebox sensitivity at max magnification. I found this optic super easy to get a great sight picture at max magnification, and this thing didn't darken up at higher mag ranges like my G1 does. On my G1 4-16 everything above say 12-13x starts to get 'darker' and its a lot of work to get your eye in that 'perfect' position for a bright and clear sight picture.

I also got to do a little side-by-side comparison with a 4-14 SHV F1. I may get flamed for this, but in terms of 'brightness', FOV throughout the mag range, and features provided in the price point, I really think the PST2 kicked it ass. I will admit I found the resolution on the SHV to be slightly better, but if it were my money I would pick the PST simply because I'm a slut for good FOV, and really like the control features it provides.

Once the market calms down I will likely be replacing my G1 4-16 with one of these. Very impressive optic. That's my $.02.

So I got to play around a little with an FFP/MOA 3-15x this past weekend and I have to say I was extremely impressed. I own the G1 4-16 PST and everything I don't like about that optic has been resolved in the G2 3-15. One thing Im really picky about is eyebox sensitivity at max magnification. I found this optic super easy to get a great sight picture at max magnification, and this thing didn't darken up at higher mag ranges like my G1 does. On my G1 4-16 everything above say 12-13x starts to get 'darker' and its a lot of work to get your eye in that 'perfect' position for a bright and clear sight picture.

I also got to do a little side-by-side comparison with a 4-14 SHV F1. I may get flamed for this, but in terms of 'brightness', FOV throughout the mag range, and features provided in the price point, I really think the PST2 kicked it ass. I will admit I found the resolution on the SHV to be slightly better, but if it were my money I would pick the PST simply because I'm a slut for good FOV, and really like the control features it provides.

Once the market calms down I will likely be replacing my G1 4-16 with one of these. Very impressive optic. That's my $.02.

Thanks for the mini review! Sounds like the gen II PST is much improved on what was already a pretty nice platform.

MWM-5150, have you had a chance to play with a Burris XTR II? If so how do you think the PST Gen II stacks up to it? These are the two I am looking at, at the moments. Thanks!

MWM-5150, have you had a chance to play with a Burris XTR II? If so how do you think the PST Gen II stacks up to it? These are the two I am looking at, at the moments. Thanks!

Depends on which XTR you're talking about. I have only looked through the XTR2 4-20 & 5-25, but they were only in-store (out the window) and not mounted on rifles at a range. I have not looked through the 5-25 PST2, but if it performs as well as the 3-15 it will be a real home run. If I were picking between the 3-15 PST2 and the XTR2 4-20 (only because these are the two I've actually seen) I would definitely give the nod to the PST2. The sight picture was just awesome on the PST2. The 4-20 Burris definitely had more sensitive eye box at upper magnification and the distortion at the edges of the FOV was more pronounced. The 5-25 Burris I thought was even more sensitive (with more CA) above 20x. The PST2 might have an edge over the Burris in terms of glass clarity. Comparing the two 3-15's side by side would be a more fair comparison. To me, what I really appreciated was how easy it was for me to get that clear sight picture out of the PST2.

All this to say though, the Burris still has its advantages. The 34mm tube does provide you with a lot more elevation adjustment, and I like having plenty of "cushion". Meaning I prefer not to use the scope at its elevation limits, and the reticle travel on the PST is a little tight if you plan on running anything at extended ranges. I really like the SCR reticle too, but reticle preference will vary from person to person. Also, the Burris has a very positive history of tracking and reliability, while the PST2 is a brand new optic.

FWIW, (this is all emotion here) the limited time I had with the Burris 4-20 did not give me that "I really want this scope now" feeling. Within a few minutes of getting behind that PST2 I was thinking "Damn, I really want one of those."

Edit: Another big advantage to the XTR2 is you can actually buy them right now!

Last edited:
Thanks for that run down, helps a lot. I have been hunting around for the XTR II 5-25 in FDE, but might just jump in line for the PST as it sounds promising so far.

Do you know anything about the Nightforce Beast or the first Atacr release? It was 2 years people waited. They got so burned, everyone ran to Vortex scope.
The people on this site are their own worst enemy. Just because you saw on it FB or Instagram doesn't mean it's available in the marketplace. You gotta be the first to have it and then bitch when you have to wait.

Yes I am very aware of the debacle with the BEAST and first ATACR release and I was not referring to either one of those it seems NF has learned from them as of late. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here and this is pretty much the last comment I will make on it, but it does seem odd and it doesn't take Columbo to figure that the most popular, highest demand model, (FFP 6-24 MIL Based) scope is the one that has yet to ship seems like more effort would have been put into that model than some of the others.

I spoke to Nick at vortex, and also Optics planet.

Optics planet had no idea when they were going to get more stock or how much stock they were going to get in the first shipment of FFP scopes (I'm in the top 150 orders) so it's likely I'll get it on the shipment.

Vortex couldn't tell me how many they were shipping to OP, they said if I ordered it with a wait time of what ever it was I'd expect to get it in that wait time and conversely new orders would be on the new wait time list.

I also know the first shipment to overseas distributors is also due to arrive in 2 weeks.

So we just have to wait and see...

For those of you into 3-gun I can give my experience with the PST Gen II 1-6. I had it for 3 days before it shit the bed. I got it on a Friday, I zeroed it on the following Saturday with no problems, and I expected it to perform well on Sunday. Had a 3 gun match that Sunday and the dot went out on the 3rd shot. Collectively it had 60 rounds through it and it was already busted. What happened was the illumination dial went from solid "clicks" to very mushy ones and could move very easily. I don't know if this was recoil based or it just wasn't assembled right from the factory, but I could not get the dial to stay in an illumination slot. To troubleshoot, I took out the battery, put it back in a made sure the cap was tight and put on proper and it still wouldn't stay illuminated. I'd turn it to an on position, it would flicker on for a moment and then nothing. No Dot. It sucks because it's a great scope otherwise, but I definitely see where they cut some of the cost compared to the Razor.

To their credit, Vortex next day aired me a replacement and it has yet to fail again, but my confidence has be shaken a little bit in the scope. Especially when I have several "bigger" 3 gun matches in the near future.

Scott at Liberty Optics just sent me my Fed Ex shipping #.

PST Gen 2 1-6x due to arrive Monday the 10th.

They ARE trickling out. Will write up a comparison between the Razor 1-6x, PST gen1 & gen2, Burris XTR2 1-5x later.

FYI, I ordered a brand new Burris XTR2 1-5x from Midway for $441... it was clearly a refurbish with a nick on the tube, scratches under the scope, a stretched out o-ring for the battery compartment, and a possible issue with the top 2 levels of illumination (or I just didn't read the manual). They did an RMA covering shipping easy, but it shouldn't have happened anyway. Illumination and reticle were far better than the PST gen1, glass was worse, the Razor Gen 2 HD we had (couple years old) looked like a VR heads up display with much less distortion by a LARGE margin.

I've heard the PST Gen2's glass is 15% better than the Gen1. a youtube video with sales/3gun guys say that it's much closer. looking forward to seeing for myself. 80% of the Razor at 50% of the price sounds pretty nice

IN STOCK Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24mm 30mm Tube, Capped Turrets, VMR-2 MOA Reticle $699.99 http://bit.ly/2oERKdm 916.670.1103

17795726_1504504516258723_163969029587322505_n.jpg?oh=3dddc376fdeb82bb4956497f027ed87f&oe=5994...jpg

My PST Gen II 3-15 x 44 FFP MOA arrived today. Mounted on my Tikka T3X Hunter. I have time to compare it with my PST Gen I and one of my AMG. The crystal is to my eyes a lot more clear than the PST Gen l with better eye box but not as good as the AMG, the parallax knob is butter smooth but the light knob is very hard to move. IMHO the best improvement compared to the first generation is on the Turrets, the zero stop is like the Razor G 1 but they look physically like the Razor Gen 2 or the AMG, they are big, I would say bigger than the AMG turrets and a little bit smaller than the Razor G2 but because the whole scope is smaller than the Razor G2 they look bigger. Clicks are clean and clear, very well audible. As cons I will say that the color is a little bit shiny for my taste, the light knob is very hard to move and the weight is on the heavy side for a 3-15 x 44. This weekend when I get to the range will test more and will post. At the end I think Vortex got a winner with this scope.

Last edited:
I contacted Vortex on Monday, 4/3, and they said their best guess is 4-6 weeks.

So that probably means July or August. I cancelled my order with them and friends who own a store stopped stocking their products because they can't deliver.

I've got a 5-25, 3-15, and 1-6... they are all great. Spent some time looking through them last week to get everything zeroed.

The 1-6 is big and bright. The battery compartment is a little tough to get closed without leaving a little mark on it but it's a bright even in day light. The reticle is simple and un cluttered and I like it better than the old TMCQ and way better than the strike eagle. It's a true 1x with zero fisheye and is easy to use with both eyes open. The eye box is plenty forgiving for snap shot.

The 5-25 ffp is great... it's a little gray compared to my Razor GII but for less than 1/2 price it's pretty great. The glass is at least as good as the bushy LRHS. I'll do a FA resolution test this week hopefully if it stops raining. Same goes for the 3-15 it's on my 22 right now and haven't spent much time with it but it's not even in the same ballpark as the old 4-16. LEAPS and BOUNDS better.

The turrets seem to track true and feel pretty good. A little mushy than Rzr but improved over the last version. I really like the lower profile. I am not sure if it's user error but when I set the zero stop I would stop exactly at zero where as the RZR lets you dial .5 mil past zero. I just re-zeroed using the .5 mill has and then set the cap accordingly so it acts like my other scope.

More to come but so far these things are amazing value.

I've got a 5-25, 3-15, and 1-6... they are all great. Spent some time looking through them last week to get everything zeroed.

The 1-6 is big and bright. The battery compartment is a little tough to get closed without leaving a little mark on it but it's a bright even in day light. The reticle is simple and un cluttered and I like it better than the old TMCQ and way better than the strike eagle. It's a true 1x with zero fisheye and is easy to use with both eyes open. The eye box is plenty forgiving for snap shot.

The 5-25 ffp is great... it's a little gray compared to my Razor GII but for less than 1/2 price it's pretty great. The glass is at least as good as the bushy LRHS. I'll do a FA resolution test this week hopefully if it stops raining. Same goes for the 3-15 it's on my 22 right now and haven't spent much time with it but it's not even in the same ballpark as the old 4-16. LEAPS and BOUNDS better.

The turrets seem to track true and feel pretty good. A little mushy than Rzr but improved over the last version. I really like the lower profile. I am not sure if it's user error but when I set the zero stop I would stop exactly at zero where as the RZR lets you dial .5 mil past zero. I just re-zeroed using the .5 mill has and then set the cap accordingly so it acts like my other scope.

Where did you get a 5-25 FFP?

Same here. The zero stop in my 3-15 stops exactly where you press the set screws, I think its like the Razor Gen 1.

I cancelled my order at CL today. I only ordered there and was willing to pay full price because they advertised In Stock - Ready to Ship. After more than 2 weeks and several calls to them it is obvious that they don't have any idea when they would be able to fill my order but then again neither does Vortex.

I've had another PST II on order at OP since the 1st of the year. As long as I'm waiting months anyway I'll just wait for the one I'm getting a 10% discount on. I have 2- AMG's on order also at 10 off and might even see them before the PST's. Either way whenever Vortex decides to send me a few scopes I know that I'll enjoy them.

Last edited:
If he's got that many PST gen 2's in FFP for show and tell, it's definitely an inside job, he's got a hook up somewhere... Nice looking scopes bribass, keep us informed of how they do and keep the pics coming.. One of these are on the short list once they ever become in stock..

Just for you to compare the new PST G2 turrets size. Here is a picture side by side with a Razor AMG.

b548b760fdcfd8bec1c32b74203a9b1a.jpg

Got my 3-15ffp in today!

Turrets- elevation turret is good. Feels just as gen 1 razor, but the windage turret feels like the gen 1 pst not bad but the feel is different between the two.

Glass- Is good! I would say as good as first gen razor but not as good a second. Handles chromatic deviation better than my lrhs elite bushnell and way better than the dmr I had. FOV is great! better than my 4-16 atacr, and about the same as gen 2 razor. Bushnell is losing in that department also.

Overall finish is good not to shiny like some have stated ect. Weight is good

Eyebox- I would say it has a improvement over the first gens but still a little tricky on max power. No where as bad as say the 6-24 gen 1. Scope is really easy to get behind on 12x and under power.

Attachments

• IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2935.PNG
    IMG_2935.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 61
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg