• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II

Well got a call from Vortex today from a tech checking my scope. Said he couldn't duplicate my problem. We talked for about 30 minutes, nice guy. My PST should be on it's way back. I was very thorough in my scope mounting and trouble shooting the issue. I remounted my NF NXS and the results were perfect as usual. I can't explain it.

When I remount the PST I'll be picky as usual. I'm down to grasping at straws like wondering if something like the scope finish allowed the scope to shift in the rings. I'll clean everything with alcohol before putting it back together. Any other off of the wall ideas. I already triple checked the usual stuff and like I said the rifle was solid with the NF mounted just like it has always been with the NF and previous PST I.

I would be happy to find and admit that it was all me.

I'd assume, you'd have enough experience to have adjusted your Parallax correctly?

Well got a call from Vortex today from a tech checking my scope. Said he couldn't duplicate my problem. We talked for about 30 minutes, nice guy. My PST should be on it's way back. I was very thorough in my scope mounting and trouble shooting the issue. I remounted my NF NXS and the results were perfect as usual. I can't explain it.

When I remount the PST I'll be picky as usual. I'm down to grasping at straws like wondering if something like the scope finish allowed the scope to shift in the rings. I'll clean everything with alcohol before putting it back together. Any other off of the wall ideas. I already triple checked the usual stuff and like I said the rifle was solid with the NF mounted just like it has always been with the NF and previous PST I.

I would be happy to find and admit that it was all me.

Hi Quickdraw,

Scott here at Vortex can help you trouble shoot this. We want to get you shooting this scope and be happy with it. Scott has loads of experience shooting in PRS and working with scopes when things like this happen. Often times it's something very unexpected. Unfortunately, Scott is out at the NRA show right now otherwise he would have caught this post. He should be back in the office next week on Tuesday. If you don't get it worked out by then give us a call and ask for Scott to walk you through some tings to try. We are certainly happy to take a look at the scope again if needed.

1-800-426-0048

You may already be aware of the following but just in case...

Some things to look at:
- Make sure the turret set screws are tight
- Make sure zero stop is set when you do your shooting test
- Make sure parallax is set properly
- Make sure diopter is set properly
- Same ammo
- Same shooting conditions to best extent possible
- Try shooting on a couple of different days and see if anything changes (i.e could be environmental conditions)

There is a lot more Scott can go over with you but these are the basic things to look for.

We have been shooting bullets through the same hole all day long with the PST Gen II as we have been testing them for quite some time. So, we know it's possible to get you where you want to be. We will get it figured out one way or another. We don't want to leave you scratching your head on this one. Sorry it's taking more time than you would like but we are committed to doing whatever we can to make sure it shoots like all of the PST Gen II's we have been shooting for quite a while now...whether it's the scope or something totally unrelated to the scope we are happy to help.

Dave

Man you got to love Vortex for staying on top of customers that have problems. I am a huge NF fan, but I will be a Vortex customer for life also. I have bought 3 PSTs and a Razor Gen 2 and when I can get a PST GEN2 I will get one of those also.

Hi Quickdraw,

Scott here at Vortex can help you trouble shoot this. We want to get you shooting this scope and be happy with it. Scott has loads of experience shooting in PRS and working with scopes when things like this happen. Often times it's something very unexpected. Unfortunately, Scott is out at the NRA show right now otherwise he would have caught this post. He should be back in the office next week on Tuesday. If you don't get it worked out by then give us a call and ask for Scott to walk you through some tings to try. We are certainly happy to take a look at the scope again if needed.

1-800-426-0048

You may already be aware of the following but just in case...

Some things to look at:
- Make sure the turret set screws are tight
- Make sure zero stop is set when you do your shooting test
- Make sure parallax is set properly
- Make sure diopter is set properly
- Same ammo
- Same shooting conditions to best extent possible
- Try shooting on a couple of different days and see if anything changes (i.e could be environmental conditions)

There is a lot more Scott can go over with you but these are the basic things to look for.

We have been shooting bullets through the same hole all day long with the PST Gen II as we have been testing them for quite some time. So, we know it's possible to get you where you want to be. We will get it figured out one way or another. We don't want to leave you scratching your head on this one. Sorry it's taking more time than you would like but we are committed to doing whatever we can to make sure it shoots like all of the PST Gen II's we have been shooting for quite a while now...whether it's the scope or something totally unrelated to the scope we are happy to help.

Dave

Thank you Dave for the follow up on this. I'm in the process of replacing 3 of my MOA based scopes with MRAD FFP Vortex scopes like the aforementioned PST II and I also have 2 AMG's on order. What I saw at SHOT convinced me of the direction I wanted to go with my Optic selections.

I appreciate the ideas and I already have gone through those exact same steps and double checked most of those before ever even thinking that I might have had a scope problem. The one new item that came up in my research these past few days was the set screws on the inner turret as well as the set screws on the turret caps. In the past I have always just used the recommended thumb and forefinger on the small end of the allen wrench to tighten the set screws. I noticed in the owners manual for the PST II that there is an actual torque setting of 8 in/lbs now. I'm curious if this could be my issue in the turret slipping during dialing. In any case the torque wrench will be out when I tighten these down this time around.

While I might not be the most accomplished competitor I can shoot well enough during equipment setup and load development with this rifle to get half-moa or better groups. I am a practical mechanic and have a good foundation of experience and knowledge setting up a rifle and scope. My ammo is also well beyond top quality hand loads. While I am 100% certain that I had an issue with the PST mounted after talking to the tech and having faith in his ability and experience I am now about as certain that the issue isn't in the scope but in another area probably to do with mounting or setup. Either way we'll get it worked out and I'll be very happy on Monday when FedEx drops off my scope again so I can get after it.

Last edited:
Hi Quickdraw,

Dave

I'll probably be calling Scott tomorrow. I remounted the scope today after getting it back. Same issue, had it zeroed 6 or 7 times we thought, tightened everything down and .1 to .2 or more shift in different directions. 2 shooters getting the same results. Close to 100 rounds now chasing zero around. Mounted the NF now twice on this rifle and 2 shots each time to zero, as usual. Going out again tomorrow and will probably call Scott from the range. Love the scope, hate what's happening.

OFFICIAL RESULTS:

I got Scott at Vortex on the phone yesterday to go through a troubleshooting procedure. He was very nice and spent close to 1/2hr with me talking about what I was seeing and going through a procedure to evaluate the scopes performance. I immediately went to the range to run through what he had suggested. When I got started I decided that I didn't have a good starting point and decided to put of test until I had a baseline for my rifle.

I returned home and did a complete cleaning of my rifle. Double checked mounting, torque, diopter and other possible relevant setup procedures. I returned to the range today and ran 15 fouling rounds through the rifle and began the suggested tests and firing order. After 27 rounds through the rifle over 3 different tests I can say that the scope is 100% reliable. When I had returned the scope to Vortex and the tech checked it out he had the same results. At this point I can't say for sure what the issue was but there was not an issue with the scope, quality of build or quality control. In fact Vortex went out of their way to not only stand behind their product but also stand behind me in resolving my issue.

Thank you Scott, Dave and Vortex in general for your patience and support. I really like the PST II and look forward to years of great service from it. I can't wait for my AMG's to be built and delivered.

Last edited:
OFFICIAL RESULTS:

I got Scott at Vortex on the phone yesterday to go through a troubleshooting procedure. He was very nice and spent close to 1/2hr with me talking about what I was seeing and going through a procedure to evaluate the scopes performance. I immediately went to the range to run through what he had suggested. When I got started I decided that I didn't have a good starting point and decided to put of test until I had a baseline for my rifle.

I returned home and did a complete cleaning of my rifle. Double checked mounting, torque, diopter and other possible relevant setup procedures. I returned to the range today and ran 15 fouling rounds through the rifle and began the suggested tests and firing order. After 27 rounds through the rifle over 3 different tests I can say that the scope is 100% reliable. When I had returned the scope to Vortex and the tech checked it out he had the same results. At this point I can't say for sure what the issue was but there was not an issue with the scope, quality of build or quality control. In fact Vortex went out of their way to not only stand behind their product but also stand behind me in resolving my issue.

Thank you Scott, Dave and Vortex in general for your patience and support. I really like the PST II and look forward to years of great service from it. I can't wait for my AMG's to be built and delivered.

Hi Quickdraw,

I'm really happy we got this all worked out for you! That's awesome! I'm sure you will love the scope the more you use it. We are more than happy to help in any way we can whether it be with our optics or just shooting in general. Happy shooting!

Dave

I've been looking for the 5-25 ffp mrad, does anyone know when these will be available?

ACE25962-A81A-4D49-A93D-1077A490703B_zpsolqtuu6s.jpg

16CE0C07-BD06-4FA4-A889-328432921216_zpszmrfdrwh.jpg

Was able to put 35 downrange this afternoon, so here's a potato review from a purely recreational shooter:

Glass is a definite step up from Gen1 PST; compared to my 4.5-18x LRTSi in the exact same conditions (shaded forest canopy) I could not discern any difference in sharpness, brightness or optical clarity on a white paper target at 113yds. That's hardly a comprehensive evaluation, but optically I don't judge it to be a definite step down. I like the turrets, they are tactile & audible but not quite as stiff as the Gen1 PST or HST. The reticle seems to work well and the open center is conducive to shooting groups. Finish is a bit shinier than a Gen1 PST or HST, but I wouldn't call it 'glossy'. Eyebox is a bit tighter than the LRTSi when on 18x, but I didn't find it at all difficult to get behind.

Was browsing around my local Scheels (SLC) to look at their pst 2's. They had the 3-15 in both mil and moa. They just got in a 5-25 moa yesterday that they hadn't brought out yet. Didnt catch the price but they are out there. They sure looked nice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I bought a 5-25 mrad off the px, I'm anxious to get it and see how it tracks. I have a Nightforce 20 moa mount and Vortex matched rings on the way also.

Just wanted to give a short update on my 5-25 pst gen2. I've had it for a couple of months now. Today I was at the range for close to 4 hours working on load development (100 yards). So far I am very happy with the scope. I didn't experience any eye fatigue that I sometimes get with lesser scopes. Before getting started on the load development I set the zero stop with a known load. After I finished the load development I wanted to check how much elevation I had with my 20 moa rail plus Burris xtr rings for an upcoming 1 mile shot. I dialed all the way up (63 moa). Then dialed all the way back to 0 and shot another group with a known load.. worked perfectly. Next weekend I'll be testing this out at 1000 yards. So far so good.

Have had mine on 22 trainer for a while now. Tracking has been spot on over 500 rounds, glass clarity and eyebox are still impressing me!

Aand now we wait. I just got the notice that my 5-25 ebr-2C is on its way only been waiting since December but Im happy with what I paid so it was worth it. Let'shope it gets hereally quick. It should I'm only 8 hours from the showroom

Anyone have first hand experience behind the new offerings from Vortex. Looking forward to the reviews.

I got a 3x15 in today, I have a 4x16 gen 1 already. The first thing you notice is the weight, it's a lot heavier than the gen 1. Seems to be much better built and feels much more rugged. The turrets are the biggest upgrade over the gen1's in my opinion, they are bigger, have a better feel to them, are easier to see, and the zero stop feature is leaps and bounds better. I've only put 20 through it so far but it seems to track very well and the glass is much brighter than the gen 1's. I have two nightforce NSX's one is new and the other one is about 12 years old, the glass quality in this gen 2 falls right in between the two night forces. For the money I don't think you'll find a better optic.

Got my 5-25 mrad ffp yesterday. The turrets are definitely better that the gen 1 and the glass is better as well. I'm going to get it mounted and see how it tracks this weekend. I hope it passes the test, otherwise I'll have to spend twice as much for the Razor 4.5-27 with the same reticle.

Got my ffp 5-25 today
6 months from order date to the day

Looks good at first glance

Got my 3-15ffp in today!

Turrets- elevation turret is good. Feels just as gen 1 razor, but the windage turret feels like the gen 1 pst not bad but the feel is different between the two.

Glass- Is good! I would say as good as first gen razor but not as good a second. Handles chromatic deviation better than my lrhs elite bushnell and way better than the dmr I had. FOV is great! better than my 4-16 atacr, and about the same as gen 2 razor. Bushnell is losing in that department also.

Overall finish is good not to shiny like some have stated ect. Weight is good

Eyebox- I would say it has a improvement over the first gens but still a little tricky on max power. No where as bad as say the 6-24 gen 1. Scope is really easy to get behind on 12x and under power.

hows the tracking?

I would like to hear from folks that get their hands on the 1-6x24 model. Did Vortex change the finish from bright to matte?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the new turrets look significantly lower profile than the gen 1. One of my only complaints of my gen 1 6-24 is the turret height, in conjunction with no lock, makes the turrets prone to bumping....especially while hunting and hiking it. Anyone care to measure turret height difference for us and report?

Has anyone purchased recently through the Vortex LEO/Mil program and what's the realistic wait time? I'm looking to upgrade from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2. I'm debating the long wait through Experticity or paying a bit more on the chance I can catch a Hide vendor with stock on hand.

Has anyone purchased recently through the Vortex LEO/Mil program and what's the realistic wait time? I'm looking to upgrade from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2. I'm debating the long wait through Experticity or paying a bit more on the chance I can catch a Hide vendor with stock on hand.

I'm curious to know as well. I ordered the UH1 almost five months ago and it still has not shipped.

Well shit. That's not what I wanted to hear. I know I had previously ordered a razor hd that was five months in on the wait and cancelled for a gen 2 I found here used.

I have a friend in the military who ordered two PST Gen2s back in January directory through Vortex he called a few times and they kept telling him another month he got tired of waiting and ordered a Gen 2 Razor from Scott @ Liberty Optics he got a helluva deal. He did keep one on order for his wife's rifle and it still has not shipped.

I had a first gen 4-16 PST. I found the eyebox just a bit too tight. Maybe it just me being a spaz. Anyone have an issue with this. I like the company and their offerings....and of course their great support if anything goes wrong. But when I see the eyebox on scopes like Burris EXT's it gets my attention. I'm about to buy a 5-25 FFP.....debating and comparing Kahles, S&B and Nightforce at the moment.
Wish I could get my hand on a vortex 5-25. I'd love to see how the new ones are.

yes. ordered in December. still waiting.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I talked to my local Vortex dealer a couple days ago. He said orders are booked a year out.

Ordered in March and was told 1-3 months out. Severe backorder/backlog.

I called up SportOptics and placed a preorder for the 5-25 and was quoted 2 to 4 weeks. Ben seemed pretty confident in the ETA.

Reactions: CornoIV
Guys, again, you have to realize that if you order direct from Vortex you are getting in line for scopes behind other vendors who might have ordered hundreds of them. That is the reason for the longer waits when ordering direct. You save some money but on a new product the wait might be a while so if you need the scope soon you might want to order from a vendor.

Vendors for the most part know when they should be getting deliveries and what they ordered so they can give an idea of when they should be getting the scopes and how long your wait should be.

I have two nightforce NSX's one is new and the other one is about 12 years old, the glass quality in this gen 2 falls right in between the two night forces. For the money I don't think you'll find a better optic.

Interesting. I'd like to get a more modern optic on my AR, but it currently wears a late model 2.5-10x42 NXS and I'm not sure I'm willing to step down optically. Granted this Vortex should cost half as much.

Any comparisons to Athlon's comparable optic, I believe the Ares BTR 2.5-15x ?

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd like to get a more modern optic on my AR, but it currently wears a late model 2.5-10x42 NXS and I'm not sure I'm willing to step down optically. Granted this Vortex should cost half as much.

Any comparisons to Athlon's comparable optic, I believe the Ares BTR 2.5-15x ?
I'm not sure how old you NXS is but I have two of thema 5.5x22x56 NXS that's probably 15 years or so old and and new 5.5x22x50 the pst gen 2 3x15 i just got is a little crisper than the old NXS but not quite as crisp and the new one. Hope that helps