• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA.com....(LL review)

Re: New Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD at SWFA (PICS)

So you guys don't notice an unforgiving eye relief at 20x? we need more guys like you with some real world opinions.thx

Scarlett,

I'd like to address the clicks while setting up zero. The zero stop is designed so that the click mechanism and the zero stop is disengaged when you set it up during initial sight in.

This allows the shooter to more precisely set the elevation zero for high precision rifles. In other words, you aren't bound by 0.1mil clicks when you zero. Since the clicker is disengaged, you can actually dial as small an increment as you want. You simply use the scale on the knob to know how much or how little to dial. Once you are zeroed and set the zero stop the clickers are engaged again at the exact point you set your zero.

It's really very simple to set up.

Edit - Just got the Zero Stop video loaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDt4rlQXuLM

-Sam

Nice video. I like that precision for elevation. The more I research, the more I am convinced my trg42 will have a vortex friend soon. How strong is the hold of those set screws for the turret? Seems like potential for slippage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scarlett_Red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice video. I like that precision for elevation. The more I research, the more I am convinced my trg42 will have a vortex friend soon. How strong is the hold of those set screws for the turret? Seems like potential for slippage. </div></div>

They are extremely strong. The inner cap set screws are stainless steel cup point and bite hard into a brass wall. There are three of them.

We use the "two finger rule, on the short end of the hex wrench" to snug them down and that is PLENTY of force. They are not budging.

The three outer set screws use a standard point with a camming action into a v groove. They are not going anywhere either.

The real tell is that when you hit the zero stop it comes to a rock solid stop with an audible click. We've tested this pretty extensively. So, I'm completely confident in the strength of the turret and set screws.

We are currently working on our new brochure for the Razor, which includes some drawings of the internals of the turret. Once I have a .pdf I will post it and it will help you visualize how the turret is designed better.

-Sam

Actually, here is a cutaway of the elevation turret from the brochure:

Zero-StopAssembly.jpg

Nice video Sam, very clear. I like the fact that when zeroing there are no clicks so you actually have the ability to dial .05 mils if needed. Very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Just one example, the thread pitch of the turret screws are machined to within 2 microns. That's 78 one millionths of an inch. Your run of the mill CNC shop can't do that. They have to be done on extremely precise Swiss Turn machines."

Zero-StopAssembly.jpg
</div></div>

Starting to sound like a bargain at $1,999. Great job Sam. The video and brochure will help tell the tale and further educate everyone as to what a great scope this really is.

Now I understand why the E turret is the size and shape that it is. Very cool video and thanks for tossing up the cutaway.
Nothing to hide is a good policy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, here is a cutaway of the elevation turret from the brochure:

Zero-StopAssembly.jpg
</div></div>

Jesus, it looks like the inside of a Breitling.

I'm excited to get mine mounted. I talked to Lowlight and a hunter before I ordered mine and I've fondled it a good bit and am happy. Now to just get my rings and the rifle back so I can test run her
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Just one example, the thread pitch of the turret screws are machined to within 2 microns. That's 78 one millionths of an inch. Your run of the mill CNC shop can't do that. They have to be done on extremely precise Swiss Turn machines."

Zero-StopAssembly.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Starting to sound like a bargain at $1,999. Great job Sam. The video and brochure will help tell the tale and further educate everyone as to what a great scope this really is.</span> </div></div>

Something we finally agree upon
wink.gif

If <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span></span> don't agree with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Rep </span>and a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Dealer </span>I'd begin to question your over the top personal and psychological investment in the Vortex Razor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just can't get over that big ol penis knob on top though.LOL

Steve </div></div>

Something you care to share, Steve?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span></span> don't agree with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Rep </span>and a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Dealer </span>I'd begin to question your over the top personal and psychological investment in the Vortex Razor. </div></div>

Popcorn.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span></span> don't agree with a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Rep </span>and a <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Dealer </span>I'd begin to question your over the top personal and psychological investment in the Vortex Razor.</div></div>

LOL, are you saying that hunter223 has an almost unnatural love affair with the Vortex?

Well, on this board it would be unnatural. However, with the PC running amok in general, he could move to Vermont or Taxachusetts and marry his scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just can't get over that big ol penis knob on top though.LOL

Steve </div></div>

Something you care to share, Steve?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Haha....Poor choice of wording on my part ay.

Now that they have the pic up it does look like a stout mechanism.It is kinda tall though.

Steve

No doubt about it, the knob is monstrous. But seeing the cutaway really explains it. I really dig the no-click zero setting, and the fact that it is made at that particular optics plant really doesn't surprise me... some of the styling queues (knurling, in particular) are similar and sorta made me suspicious anyway. Vortex has done all BUT say it... so if you can't connect the dots, then there is no hope for our species, lol.

I like it. I will wait and see where the price goes, as I think it's a little hefty, but I understand that is MAP and not street... if someone has an inside track on a good deal, PM me and I won't spill your beans.

I'm definetly considering dumping the dead weight from my arsenel and streamlining into only a couple of rigs with nicer gear on top. This is probably the scope i'll end up with, but the price point does make me shy a little... Hell, I owe less on my truck, haha.

I think this is going to be a very nice scope for the money based on my own experience with Vortex products. You can't beat their warranty. It will be a good competitor to NF and USO. Equivilant Premier and S&B are $1k more.

what kind of level indicator was that in the video?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of level indicator was that in the video? </div></div>

it comes with the scope

i would trade my nightforce for that scope if i could get a good deal on it

Location, Location, Location = Setting the right price!

Vortex is middle of the road, their binos are garbage and even in they attempted to make a high end bino for $2000 nobody would buy one as Leica/Zeiss/swaro rules the high end market.

So why would anyone pay $2K for a scope when you can find NIB or like new SB PM2's for another few hundred more? and there is USO and NF and Premier.... This thing is not going to be as good the the SB thats a given from the gate so price it like a hyundai not a BMW.

Make this 34mm tube, stick with black and price it at $1300 and its a done deal.

oh yeah, Steiner binos suck, always have always will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Loongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So why would anyone pay $2K for a scope when you can find NIB or like new SB PM2's for another few hundred more? and there is USO and NF and Premier.... </div></div>

Question...

Do SB, NF or USO offer a lifetime, no questions asked, transferable warranty requiring no proof of purchase? Perhaps that is worth something to some people.

No flame, just my .02

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Loongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Vortex is middle of the road, their binos are garbage and even in they attempted to make a high end bino for $2000 nobody would buy one as Leica/Zeiss/swaro rules the high end market.

So why would anyone pay $2K for a scope when you can find NIB or like new SB PM2's for another few hundred more? and there is USO and NF and Premier.... This thing is not going to be as good the the SB thats a given from the gate so price it like a hyundai not a BMW.

Make this 34mm tube, stick with black and price it at $1300 and its a done deal.

oh yeah, Steiner binos suck, always have always will. </div></div>

I would ask a simple question. Have you looked through one? Have you looked through the Kibab bino?

oh yeah, Steiner binos suck, always have always will. </div></div>

Vortex binos garbage? Not at all. Their Vipers and Diamondbacks are the best binos in their class, easy. The Vipers and Razors are 100% Japanese made and of very high quality, factor in price and they are a great value. Leica binos? Talk about hit or miss QC over the last couple of years. I can't tell you how many people have loved their Viper binos, I've taken one pair back in 4+ years.

Steiner....OK, we agree on that one.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why would anyone pay $2K for a scope when you can find NIB or like new SB PM2's for another few hundred more?</div></div>
I strongly suspect a troll. But on the off-chance - three reasons.

One - it's a darn good scope (I know - I'm using it). Two - the warranty and customer service are stellar. Three - not many of us can snub at "another few hundred dollars".

i need to start saving for this scope so i can put it one my 6.5 creedmoor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the scopes are still selling at 1900.00 in 6 months you’ll be able to label me surprised. </div></div>

Well its been 6 months now and I see no reduction in pricing from any dealers. I personally would buy it in a heartbeat vs any other scopes even close to the price point myself, but that is just me. I don't sell my shit so I would never worry about resale values either, but the lack of even one coming up for sale tells me that there are a lot of happy people using the Razor. I can not justify the cost right now so I will be buying a Viper PST or two once they are released. I am still hopeful if I am satisfied with the Viper PST's that I will own a Razor sooner than later though. 2 kids in college is putting my wallet in a steel vise at the moment.
I like everything about Vortex so far. They are present in most all big forums and answer all questions and the response to their products has been extremely positive. If push comes to shove, I trust that they will be around longer than Premier, but I would not wish that any company should falter. All I am saying is that a large company, that truly listens to their market, can provide niche products that push the envelope to allow the technology gains to filter down to lower cost products that can reach a broader market and sustain profitability and growth.
Sam and Vortex seem to have a damn fine game plan in place from what I have seen so far. I would be the last one to doubt they will not succeed and do so it a most positive manner. They seem to have a better read on the scope market than any of the mass market manufacturers and are also making in roads into what was once sacred ground of the niche products (Nightforce, Premier, S&B, etc). Time will tell if they are truly all that, but I can not see how anyone would be less than impressed with how this company has blasted into the forefront of the optics market, across such a wide market.

Not only the price doesn't go down, but the buyer incentives seem to be drying up - e.g. I wonder if anybody offers a set of free rings with Razor HD now (unlike a few months back).

The Vortex Razor is definitely on my list of scopes to own. I do wish Vortex would release something in the range of a 3-14x model. I understand the market that it's geared for though.