• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

I got my 2nd one on Sun and just mounted / bore-sighted. Control stiffness and turret feel is fine for me, and seems the same as my first one, which was part of the February batch. Love these scopes.

Anyone found the correct tenebraex sizes yet?

I've got them on both of mine - ordered direct for the first pair (took forever to arrive) - Mile High had them as well and got the 2nd pair from them (arrived fast, and cheaper). The T-braex site has them listed under Razor 6-36, so you can get the part numbers and buy from Mile High if desired.

Reactions: 5RWill
What's up with the video? I'd be interested in this. My turret is locking up pretty good. Vortex offered to fix it but not sure if it's worth sending in or not.

Reactions: b6graham
What's up with the video? I'd be interested in this. My turret is locking up pretty good. Vortex offered to fix it but not sure if it's worth sending in or not.

Why wouldn't you send it in if you are not happy?

Why wouldn't you send it in if you are not happy
They offered to overnight it and fix it, I just didn't want them to pay for all that if the "fix" wasn't helping all that much. I don't view it as necessarily broken, just something more of a design flaw maybe. Idk, I decided to send it in and we'll see how it comes back.

Reactions: Rob01
They offered to overnight it and fix it, I just didn't want them to pay for all that if the "fix" wasn't helping all that much. I don't view it as necessarily broken, just something more of a design flaw maybe. Idk, I decided to send it in and we'll see how it comes back.
Omg send it in. They make 4x that off some schmuck buying a crossfire they spend 3.67$ on

Reactions: TheOE800
Silly question but was curious….Does anyone know if they will offer this optic in black like damn near everyone else?
Already been discussed ad nauseam in this thread, but the good news is, it does look like a big turd on my AI pale brown. 😂. Think of it this way, it’s what’s inside that counts…

• Haha
Reactions: roberthu526
range report after shooting a PRS match this weekend with the gen3

i shoot 98% of stages at 16x. and have for the past 2-3 years.

rain basically all day. very heavy at times.

cranked the magnification to 20x on the first stage and left it there, and at times was up at 25x. even in the heaviest downpours. very noticeable difference coming from a gen 2

i will send mine back to Vortex in july when i have a shooting break for the upgraded/improved turrets. they feel okayish when shooting a stage, but i think they do leave some to be desired even compared to the gen2

Got mine back today! I sent it off Friday of last week and it was at my door this morning. Turrets feel WAY better. It went from not close to as good of a feel as my gen 2, to as good if not better. Does not fall down into locked position anymore. Pretty big difference to me. Extremely happy with it now.

Last edited:
Got mine back today! I sent it off Friday of last week and it was at my door this morning. Turrets feel WAY better. It went from not close to as good of a feel as my gen 2, to as good if not better. Does not fall down into locked position anymore. Pretty big difference to me. Extremely happy with it now.
Good to know, and glad to see Vortex taking care of their customers and addressing these issues so quickly.

Spent the day behind my G3 Razor for the first time. Had a 7-35 MK5 with the PR2 reticle, G1 Razor, 4.5-27 G2 Razor, and a 5-25 Tangent Theta to compare to side by side. Spent a few mins going back and forth with each side by side. Spent quite a bit of time behind each while shooting. Only looked through the TT, didn't shoot with it. Thoughts:
G3 turrets are great to zero, but way too stiff when dialing and having to make sure you don't apply downward pressure on the elevation turret to avoid it locking is just a shit design. I actually thought the G1 Razor had the best turret "feel", it's a well used scope but the smoothness, sound, and feel of each click is just perfect *to me. MK5 turret is great all around. TT was great but the clicks are very close together compared to the rest, I think it was a 15 mil turret VS 10 mils on the other scopes, think I preferred 10. The TT tool less turret is awesome. G2 turrets were fine.
Obviously preferential, but the PR2 reticle in the MK5 is badass. Just enough information and it's so unuttered that finding the target and spotting impacts is so easy, that reticle is the winner for me. The G3 reticle is definitely very good, better than the 7C it sort of replaced. I would probably be in love with the G3's 7D reticle if I wasn't using the PR2 at the same time.
Glass: I'll start by saying that my vision is exceptional but my eyes aren't real picky when it comes to glass clarity/resolution/etc, when I get behind a scope I'm focused on what is happening, finding a target and taking a shot VS thinking about the glass. I've always cared about tracking/durability/reticle choice in that order when picking a scope, not really glass quality. Our shooting was 400-900 yards on mostly white steel with dirt backstops. None of the scopes had any trouble spotting impact splashes of 6mm bullets or flying dirt from misses at 900. The extra magnification of the G3 and MK5 made picking out individual splashes in a cluster of impact marks easier I thought. I wasn't blown away by the TT like I expected to be, actually wasn't blown away at all. Great detail and color but I didn't find it better than the G3 or even the MK5 for that matter. I did not like the edges, my eyes seemed to be forced to the center of the picture to be happy. G1 and G2 Razor were as expected, good, not limiting, the others were better but I could run these 2 all day and be happy.
The MK5 and G3 Razor are close. I spent a lot of time behind both at the range and at the house afterwards at dusk looking at trees/buildings/etc, lots of color and detail to pick apart. They both seem to show a very natural picture, not tinted or anything weird. Neither seems brighter than the other. The colors they show are very close, the different shades of green on palm trees appeared pretty similar between the two scopes, a tan stucco wall was nearly exact. The G3 is crystal clear all the way to the edge, it's really great in that regard. The MK5 has a slight blur right at the edge, I don't really notice it unless I look. After a LOT of back and forth between the 2 scopes, the G3 definitely has a sharper image, but not by a ton. It resolved individual leaves and branches on bushes at about 700 yards better than the MK5 and I could pick up some movement of the screen on a porch blowing ever so slightly in the wind that I couldn't really pick up with the MK5 at roughly 800 yds, not certain what it was about the screen that the G3 saw better. The G3 glass is really really good in my opinion.
I'm not real thrilled with the eye box on the G3, I found it harder to get behind than any of the other scopes.
Overall, the G3 is pretty slick. Like widely discussed, the turrets are stiff and the eye box was finicky to me... I could look through that crystal clear picture for hours though!

At street prices *I'd* probably go:
MK5
G3
G1
G2
TT (what I saw didn't beat or justify double the cost of the next most expensive)
Did you set up every optic diopter to you before testing?

Not to resurrect the thread but has anyone recently received this optic from vortex? If so, have they made any changes to the turret locking or elevation turret since the initial complaints.

I’m would assume with a large number getting sent back to them for a fix, they’d consider making manufacturing changes to prevent EVERY scope from getting sent back but wanted to see if anyone had any first hand knowledge.

I have one on order from Euro-optic but they’re waiting on another batch from vortex.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
guy i know got one saturday

he will be sending it back to vortex at some point

we'll be comparing with mine (which should be coming back this week) at a match 5/21

Not to resurrect the thread but has anyone recently received this optic from vortex? If so, have they made any changes to the turret locking or elevation turret since the initial complaints.
I got one on 4/30 direct from vortex. The locking detent and clicks were quite soft.
Vortex had it fixed to my complete satisfaction in 8 days door-to-door.

got mine back. 10 days door to door (i shipped on a friday so 2 weekends)

major difference in turret feel and the lock/unlock feel is more positive as well

wonder how much they will spend on shipping costs and repair/warranty ISO rectifying the issue from the factory design/construction

got mine back. 10 days door to door (i shipped on a friday so 2 weekends)

major difference in turret feel and the lock/unlock feel is more positive as well
Glad you and others are reporting worthwhile improvement. I sent mine in early on and elevation/windage are still too stiff and gummy. I still plan on ordering another one by month's end... turret feel notwithstanding, other improvements are compelling.

What are the best scope caps to use on the new 6-36 Razor?

@jimsair, I have aadland caps on one mine, like them thus far! Ran tannebraex on most, decided for something different. Was a good choice.

I just bought 3 of them. I really only needed 1. My turrets seem to be fine. At least on the 1 I opened. The other 2 are still in the box's.

• Haha
Reactions: 4O6shootist
What are the best scope caps to use on the new 6-36 Razor?
I've run Tenebraex, Aadland and Vortex Defender caps and like them all, Tyler is now making them at MK Machining and have wanted to try some of his out as well. Aadland and MKM's appear to both be hard with a screw to tighten to the scope, Tenebraex uses an adapter if your scope doesn't already come with one but they are probably the most slim and least intrusive of the bunch, the Vortex Defender has a rubber sleeve that fits over your ocular and objective bell and are the largest with regard to coverage area but I like their lay flat design.

I'm not a fan of Defenders in general, the ones I've had pop open too easily.

Tenebraex are good, never used Aadland before

I just got one this week. Parallax rings is insanely stiff, and the turret feel doesn't match. Elevation is louder and more positive. They don't lock up very firm. Funny when I placed the order they told me these issues were fixed on the current ones. BS I'm sending it back tomorrow.

Dear Vortex,

Please make a Razor HD Gen 2.5:

proven Gen 2 design/turrets + awesome Gen 3 glass.

Thanks.

Reactions: Schütze
I’ve got two Razor Gen 3’s that replaced Razor Gen 2s and I had one out this morning on Quantico Range 4 where i do all of my shooting with these scopes.

This is the first of two that I bought in January and the turrets (particularly the elevation) have gotten much better with use. Originally they felt like they’d been over lubed but they don’t anymore.

Parallax is still stiff but I’ve gotten used to it. A buddy asked if they make a throw lever for the parallax after he tried it.

Overall I’m happy with both of my Gen 3s and still maintain the price difference between my 35X NF ATACR and the 36X Gen 3 makes the Razor a better value for the kind of shooting I do. (Dial it and forget it)

62810EDB-AED3-43B8-8468-89415A188F6A.jpeg

54226174-7578-475F-BC59-1EF8D062CE93.jpeg

Last edited:
I got lucky I guess, played with a guys r3 at the range that was a poor example and had already sent it back and it was still trash compared to mine that has not been rma’d

I love my scope but if it was like the shit turreted one I played with I would probably not stay with it

I like both mine very much. No returns on the turrets. The 2nd scope is slightly better than the first. I have since acquired a few zco, 420 and 527. I will say the zco glass plays better in heavy mirrage. That's the real only noticeable improvement, maybe a lil bit of edge clarity. At the street price these can be found from a few select dealers, they are a bargain.

Reactions: bhoges
Gen 3 razor went down at 2 day PRS match this weekend. Luckily guy had a backup on his rimfire he swapped.

Big Surprise... Turret failure.

I got to check out another one at the range earlier today... something was fucked up with the parallax mechanism. We all know the numbers on the dial don't necessarily mean that much, but this one was wonky, dialing out the parallax when looking at a target at 600yrds had 3 of us all scratching our heads. I was landing between 150-300 on the dial when looking at a small target at 750yrds, and while I didn't play with it long, there were some targets/distances that I couldn't really get dialed in to anything I'd call "good". He's going to be sending it back to Vortex.

The turret feel was garbage and the elevation turret kept falling and inadvertently locking (just like the other 3 I've played with), and the magnification adjustment felt/seemed too loose, way too easy to move almost like it was broken.

Also, it may have just been the lighting conditions today, and I might just have a nice example of a Gen 2 (while he somehow got a poor example of a Gen 3)... but the glass didn't look much better either, and everything else about it was shittier for sure.

Keep in mind that I was looking for a reason to buy one, my wallet is practically on fire, but for now, it's still nope.

I called today shipping it back this week. For the money these cost they should correct these issues. Pull them out of the box and repair them before they go out.

Reactions: Secant