• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 SFP, Yay or nay?

aoisdff8a7ytuigh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
United States
Hey forum,

On may 14th or 15th I will be going down to North Carolina and Tennessee to visit my extended family, and my dad and I are planning to take a day to just shoot. The ranges we have already bought our targets for are 100, 300, 500, and 1000 Yards. I'm using a 7mm Rem Mag with a 3-9 scope, which is not adequate in my opinion for the round or for the distances I'll be shooting at. I have a budget of just under $500, and two scopes caught my eye from Vortex, the Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP, and the Strike Eagle 4-24x50 SFP. As of right now I'm leaning towards the Strike Eagle, mainly because I do not like FFP Scopes, I like the reticle on the SE more, its cheaper, and I am a bit of a fan of Illuminated Reticles, which the Dback does not have.

So as of right now, I just would like to have a reassurance about the scope from someone who maybe has had one before, because I can't trust amazon or YouTube reviews, most of them are just product spotlights, not honest reviews.

Have you looked at the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 - APMR FFP IR MIL, for only $269.99?
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

argos out mile all the time extra money put it towards 45 moa base , rings or mount

I can kind of understand sfp on a lpvo, where you’re either point and shoot at low power or max zoom to see the holdovers. I can see sfp in “one distance disciplines” (f class, bench rest, etc) where you are always running max zoom at the same distance. I even see the utility of a dead simple duplex reticle in a sfp 3-9 “hunting scope.” But, building variable power, high magnification, sfp scope- designed and/or intended for long range shooting- and including a graduated reticle Is beyond me. If you want that fancy reticle you paid extra money to have (and don’t kid yourself, if it is anything other than a duplex reticle, you DID pay extra for it) to actually be useful, buy a FFP scope.