• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes vortex viper 6.5-20x44 maximum elevation after sight in.

savageshooter623

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Adair Iowa
Hey all! Im looking for a new long range scope, and I would like a lot of adjustment for a reasonable price. Its only going on a .308. My only question is, how much adjustment am i really getting out of this 68 moa range? does anyone know how much more elevation they have on this scope after a 100 yard sight in? Same info on other reasonable long range scopes is also appreciated. I know millett has 140 moa, but im hesitant to snach it because of the hot and cold reviews...Anyway, i am obviously looking at that budget friendly 500 dollar give or take range, because after all its still just a .308. Thank You!

I just purchased this scope. I can tell you for sure after I take it out.. will probably be a month (waiting on a barrel).

That said.. I know for my 260 I need ~32 moa of elevation to reach 1000 yards. This viper might just make it. Your 308 will probably need a little more. With a 20 moa base you will probably be good to go out to 1000 yards and maybe a touch beyond.

Sightron III 6-24x50 has 100 moa of internal adjustment but those are a couple hundred beyond your $500 limit. Then there are fixed scopes like the SS series.. also the sightron III fixed scopes (diff glass then normal SIIIs) are on close out price at SWFA, they have 100-120 moa.

Like you I looked at the millett but didn't want to take a chance. The reviews I saw were mixed. Camera Land has the the viper with the plain cross hairs for $279.. so for that price you get the same glass as the other vipers, plus Vortex's warranty. If I end up having to spend an extra $40 for a 20 moa base I'm still doing good since the special price on the scope already saved me $150 over the normal viper price.

Thanks a lot! I am actually trying to reach one mile which is going to take about 98 minutes for me depending on my load. Just purely for the challenge. My current scope only gives me 30.25 minutes from a 100 yard zero and that gets me just to 1000. Now that Iv succeeded that far, Im feeling adventerous! lol I may give the millett a try since those reviews were 2-3 years old, and the ones who had a bad one had no issues returning it. I would still appreciate an update! Isnt it amazing that a good quality optic can cost so much??

My only question is, how much adjustment am i really getting out of this 68 moa range?

Nearly all scopes come from the factory centered in their range for elevation and windage. Thus a total 68 MOA elevation range would have 34 MOA of travel up or down before sight in. For most scope and rifle combinations you are going to need to look at a canted base in the range of 20-30 MOA if shooting ELR.