• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Gen II vs SWFA SS - Thoughts?

AyKay

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2014
Looking for a mid priced FFP Optic for my .22 trainer.

My choices are between the PST Gen II 3-15x44 (or 2-10x32) and the SWFA SS 3-15x42.

I can get the PST for $180 more than the SWFA.

Which is the best option here?

I recently bought a PST Gen 2 for my trainer and I am more than content with the purchase. Tracking and box testing proved near perfect results and glass is very comparable to my Bushnell ERS. I have also worked with customer service and it met all my expectation. Side note customer service was not for a issue with the glass.

The zero stop on the vortex is handy, I just received my gen 2 pst 5-25. It is a huge upgrade from the gen 1 pst 4-16 that I had.

What issue did you have to call vortex, Tcoddington?

I would go with the PST Gen II. I had a really bad experience with SWFA and will never give them any more of my money..

I have a SWFA SS 5 - 15 x 42 on my upgraded (Timmy trigger & Boyd's Classic laminated stock) Ruger Amer. Predator. Very good glass for the money, FFP, mil/mil, side parallax knob. BUT... the turrets, while stiff to turn, have NO locking mechanism, let alone zero stop. Other than that and a kinda stiff zoom ring I like it.

Got it on a rare SWFA sale for about $550. It's a good match for my very accurate but inexpensive RAP. SWFA scopes have a reputation for decent glass and ruggedness. They will constantly withstand the abuse of the reverse recoil from an air rifle when other more costly scopes fail. Maybe SWFA has learned to glue ALL their lenses in place, like NightForce. While their mil reticle is not as useful as the H59 reticle on my competition scope it works well for hunting, which is why I put it on my RAP.

BTW, get the Vortex.

Last edited: