• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vudoo V22 and CCI Subsonic Segmented HP

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So, I’m a ways out for buying my next 22 LR (or so my brain is trying to convince me). Unlike quite a few of you, I’m not focused upon shooting dead trees or alloyed minerals. Don’t get me wrong, that’s fun, but my focus is on prairie dogs.

I’ve found CCI subsonic segmented HP, with its three little blow apart petals, absolutely murders those little buggers. My shots tend to be 75-135yds.

Thinking about a V22, but I’ve heard V22s are optimized for Center X. I’ve also heard Tikkas shoot most ammo well.

And lots of you like the big Rem 700 mags, but I’m trying to imagine myself walking around the prairie with 6-10 R700 mags spilling out of my greasy-ass overalls.

Ok, I don’t wear overalls. But I should. because they are practical, damnit!

Anyone here that shoots that specific round in a V22? Tell me about it. (And tell me about any other subsonic segmented hp rimfire ammo…I haven’t found any.)

Last edited:
with its three little blow apart petals, absolutely murders those little buggers

So y'er looking for meat spray?
If'n ya' want meat spray then ya' need to be lookin' at a 17 hmr.
That'll give ya' meat spray, and then some. Oh yeah....;)

Even at 200 yards it'll do minute of pd, all 50 shots, eh?

2tUEfZ-8hm4mrOqlG1tdVx6CfBXp8qBek0bSbS1j5U24d_Ddf0fkPQWUmm3uXjHO297SJKP5u0AdGEcxrziXa5ZYpa-avf7TQbn6Wb5CjR_yQSsWM-0aM0UsY7g-XPAhc4GCNVz_EGI_wD66CZe1_XnTN6AEQrR4KCGeCR32t1kKHIZhtaYw6JSg8JIAzZeNAOxwLsMy05RbiCJ1c2fKTBDoXRclCJUcxwG04b-O2qEf1EYJvLBmVbofv4exdxdU8X8gakv70wQrO_xvOuvEgM1coPvaND3XSPuqV1PRWjQ6PDLNbsN4b_XDE58B9kgc-zfAfGvW99qrM7-kavPxAHPUTGJZSv1iCF_OLFaGbiYWqWA81MqotTitTeYnkycymkYn54-dQjZXNkqbkDH3dsKopjlhVqWxkm49wR2Pi4VUcPA-N_IrnFKnXeT5cPD2JE9MgYfiypmNtuMx6SBMkTPHiONsqLIuCzoPvPLf4c_uvjerTn5J84wFe2ABYL2FTz8LQQ1GRvofKxtcnb6HFuOKZpqy6uoDl4rZEIcgp6DZYhv6GeOy4EuyeZCSSQ4-QEnnkZ7kuC5MR0tFjAveTw_ePF3k5t3vOm6vjjbs02WCX2WLl9DTdulDnSJMao6GcfkEZhAPimXMRxPn3Vhp9hggu_EsMOvW=w451-h543-no

• Wow
Reactions: nakoa01
Well, I’ve got a .204 and 17 Hornet, so the spray part I’ve got covered. Those two guns are for longer distance, from a table or truck bed.

The 22 is for quietly popping them when one is stalking on the Serengeti, deep in the elephant grass, ever alert for the dingos and leopards.

Sorry, had a flashback.

A .22 subsonic out of my 28” barrel is about as quiet as a suppressed gun. If you happen upon a bunch of dogs that haven’t been all shot up, then they are rather dumb, and if the gun isn’t loud, they don’t run for cover. And the ammo I like kills them DRT vs having them crawl back to their hole.

You dig, dawg?

Gotcha CB. Goin' stealth mode.

Although ya' got me thinking....dingo's...Serengeti?
They emigrated and we're talking invasive species? :D

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
I mean, here’s what a 204 does at 220 yds, if memory serves (or was it a 17 Hornet at 100yds?). Probably the Hornet. 204s can cut them in half at closer ranges. It’s like a tank shell to a human. I’m looking to be quiet while walking around, not my regular full-on M1 Abrams 120mm self.

I’m adding here a disclaimer: these things often carry the bubonic plague (yeah, that one) that is transmitted via flea bites, so no touchy or eating (unless you are a subsistence PD hunter, lol). Everyone (except PETA folk) wants them dead…the holes they create maim horses and cattle, and they denude the land.

Attachments

• 1AEB164A-B952-42DF-9CD9-B212B375558E.jpeg
    1AEB164A-B952-42DF-9CD9-B212B375558E.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
You’ll find the V-22 will not close consistently on the CCI stuff using the 22LR Ravage chamber. One box can be great and the next, not so much. In the very near future, we’ll be offering a selection of chambers for the guys wanting to hunt with their Vudoo, so CCI and other non-match type ammo will be available for use. Of course, the rifles will deliver a high level of accuracy, so no worries there.

MB

This is good news. Thank you for the timely response. Glad I didn’t impulse buy!

@RAVAGE88
"You’ll find the V-22 will not close consistently on the CCI stuff using the 22LR Ravage chamber. One box can be great and the next, not so much."
I made this for that very reason. I have seen cci sv up to 5 thousandths difference
IMG_2618.jpg

Reactions: RAVAGE88
It’s just a plain Jane hollow point. Northern fox squirrels don’t walk away from them if you make an even decent shot. Rodents aren’t that hard to kill

It’s just a plain Jane hollow point. Northern fox squirrels don’t walk away from them if you make an even decent shot. Rodents aren’t that hard to kill
I agree, I would reckon any PD will die if shot with any .22 LR round. HOWEVER, I just want them Dead Right There (DRT) vs. dying in their hole. Less suffering and, I admit, more satisfaction.

When hit in the body with a non-segmented bullet, a prairie dog (technically a ground squirrel, albeit a large one) tends to make it back to its hole more often than if it’s hit with a segmented HP. Even with fatal wounds, these things seem to summon an invisible Forest Gump that scoops them up and dives, with bleeding PD on its back, for the safety of a foxhole. Tough little critters.

“Well, just hit them in the head,” might be the counter-argument. This ignores playing the odds, and anyway, have you tried to hit a prairie dog head with a subsonic .22 at 130yds with a 15mph swirling crosswind in which you have five, six, seven seconds to set up sticks and aim? It’s a very different proposition than shooting tree squirrels at 40 yds from a static location in a quiet and still forest.

Reactions: nakoa01
@RAVAGE88
"You’ll find the V-22 will not close consistently on the CCI stuff using the 22LR Ravage chamber. One box can be great and the next, not so much."
I made this for that very reason. I have seen cci sv up to 5 thousandths differenceView attachment 7199642.

Exactly. I have something similar and see the same thing. We're headspacing at .043 for Lapua, Eley is .041, so when you have 22LR ammo that headspaces at 22WMR specs, the bolt won't close.

MB

Next year I have as already decided I must own a vudoo lightweight sporter. Yes mags are huge but for the quality and accuracy I have gotten put of my vudoo, I will bring a big fanny pack or small back pack. Lol

I agree, I would reckon any PD will die if shot with any .22 LR round. HOWEVER, I just want them Dead Right There (DRT) vs. dying in their hole. Less suffering and, I admit, more satisfaction.

When hit in the body with a non-segmented bullet, a prairie dog (technically a ground squirrel, albeit a large one) tends to make it back to its hole more often than if it’s hit with a segmented HP. Even with fatal wounds, these things seem to summon an invisible Forest Gump that scoops them up and dives, with bleeding PD on its back, for the safety of a foxhole. Tough little critters.

“Well, just hit them in the head,” might be the counter-argument. This ignores playing the odds, and anyway, have you tried to hit a prairie dog head with a subsonic .22 at 130yds with a 15mph swirling crosswind in which you have five, six, seven seconds to set up sticks and aim? It’s a very different proposition than shooting tree squirrels at 40 yds from a static location in a quiet and still forest.
While I understand what you’re saying, taking a shot at 130yrds in a 15mph swirling wind with any 22 is not very good odds for a clean kill.

While I understand what you’re saying, taking a shot at 130yrds in a 15mph swirling wind with any 22 is not very good odds for a clean kill.
You’d be surprised. If you hit them most anywhere with those segmented rounds, the PDs tend to DRT. Give them a try.

I think they make a supersonic version too.