• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walnut Media size

Mudflap621

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
So I’m in need of replacing my walnut media and I’m tired of paying stupid prices for Dillon or Lyman etc. I’ve found walnut media at places like Home Depot and harbor freight but unsure of which size to order. Any help would be appreciate or also other sources of media.

So I’m in need of replacing my walnut media and I’m tired of paying stupid prices for Dillon or Lyman etc. I’ve found walnut media at places like Home Depot and harbor freight but unsure of which size to order. Any help would be appreciate or also other sources of media.
Mine says medium on bag pours out of necks but occasionally sticks in flash holes

Reactions: mr.quick
12-20 is the grind for walnut sold as media...and....wait for it...lizard cages. Same stuff, MUCH less $$.

Do you all get really bad dust from walnut shells?

I’ve hear of using the reptile bedding so what does their 5qt bag weigh? I found media from HD for about $1 a lb delivered.

This is what I have had great success with.

D94688B5-5F76-4871-991C-B37A1FF6F1C6.png

20-40 grit walnut media won't stick in flash holes. You can get it from distributors, or in 5-pound bags off amazon.

Lizard litter doesn’t seem to create nearly the dust that corn cob did. But my tumbler is in a storage building so neither is a problem.
Corn cob doesn’t create dust, that’s walnut that is dusty.

The lack of dust is the main reason so many people use corn cob. Personally I’m done with walnut, just not worth the hassle and I’ve used all the tricks to deal with the dust. Corn cob is just easier.

I too use lizard bedding.

I run some additives so I don't have dust issues. A splash of mineral spirits and a squirt of NuFinish or whatever cleaner wax I have handy every so often. Let it run 10-15mins before I put my brass in.

I usually put mine in and goto bed and get it out the next day. Comes out nice and clean...shiny and slick.

Reactions: marchboom
Also just use a good case polish like Dillon makes. So many people want to substitute some sort of home remedy from under the sink, but a $10 bottle of case polish lasts several years and works a lot better than car wax, Lemishine, etc.

Ended up ordering the zilla bedding I’ll give it a whirl thanks folks.