• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanna get lean? Eat fat.

Cactus Kid

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2011
We all know the that if you want to loose fat we have to stop eating fat . After all, fat has twice as many calories as carbs or protien, the doctors have linked fat to heart disease, obesity, and high cholesterol, so it makes since to not eat them. Right?

Then why is America fatter than ever? *Since 1970, Americans have been eating less and less fat. That's right. We eat less fat today than we did 40 years ago. However, the overall calories have INCREASED. But how could this be? We did what wad recommended and now we are fatter than ever!

Well it all starts with a study done in the 1950's called the Lipid Hypothesis. In this study, the aim was to prove a correlation between the amount of fat in a countries diet and the heart disease rates. And the end result showed a very obvious correlation. The more fat a country ate, the more at risk they were for heart disease. But one problem: the doctor doing the study picked and chose what contries results were posted. Infact, several countries ate higher amounts of fat than the top countries included in the study that had the LOWEST incidence of heart disease. For example, the Inuit's diet is comprised of 60-80 % of heavily saturated animal fat, yet heart disease is is unheard of.

It is said that we are fat because we eat more than ever. This is true, but why do we eat more than ever? I mean, I don't think people counted calories, practiced portion control, or worried about the fat in their food. People ate when they were hungry, ate until they were full, and went on with their life.

It is true that we are less active than before. But that means that we should be less hungry, right? The humans body works by increasing hunger as activity increases. But we are less active than ever, yet we eat more than ever. How is this?

When we replaced fats with carbohydrates (those cookies are
Fat free after all) it does something in our bodies. It jacks ups our insulin.*

Insulin is transport mechanism. It caries glucose from the blood stream to *recptor sites inside muscle and liver tissue as glycogen (this is were the body gets energy during intense exercise). After all the receptors are full, the excess is stored as fat. Since most of use don't exercise long enough to deplete glycogen, most is stored as fat.

Insulin is also highly anabolic. Infact, it is argued to be one of the most anabolic hormones in the body. However, it is competly anabolic. It builds muscle and fat at rapid rate, and can totally blunt the oxidation of fat for energy for several hours.

When we eat carbohydrates, the body breaks down the carb into glucose and resleases this glucose into the blood stream. You may know this as "blood sugar." well blood sugars like the remain at a constant 90 value (ng/dl). No more no less. When we eat carbs, especially highly refined, our blood sugar gets elevated. The body releases it's transport mechanism, insulin, to lower this blood sugar.*

But, when high glycemic carbs especially are eaten, the blood sugars get jacked up so fast the body just starts dumping huge amounts of insulin to get the blood sugar down. But in the
midst of this insulin chaos, the body releases TOO much insulin. So after *blood sugar gets down to it's preferred 90 ng/dl blood sugar levels, there is still a ton of insulin transporting the
*Blood sugar to receptors.

Did you know that it is this drop in blood sugar is what sends people in diabetic shock? It's hypoglycemia, and it can kill. Your body does have a system in place to raise blood sugar with out carbs, involving a hormone called glucagon. But the body is in cris mode, we need this blood sugar raised NOW.*

So the body sends out hunger hormones, sending you jonesing for something to eat, especially something sweet. Starting the cycle all over again.*

So before you decide to cut fat out of your diet consider this:

- carbohydrates are unessential to our survival as humans. We have essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, but not essential carbohydrates

- over half of the cell membranes are made of saturated fats

- cholesterol is vital for hormone production

-when the body is deprived of fat, it will horde the fat so it can synthesize hormones

- studies show that men who eat a higher percentage of fat in their diet have higher testosterone levels

I'm not sayin that carbs are the devil, they are very useful and recommended, but don't discount the value as fat.

Re: Wanna get lean? Eat fat.

Your writing or can you provide a citation?

Mostly I agree, its not fat that actually makes people fat. A lot of things in fitness are counter-intuitive. But fat is inherently high in calories, and THAT makes people fat. A regular diet should include a good balance of fat, roughly 20-30% of your daily intake.

It's my writing.

I think people put too much emphasis on caloric intake of the macros. Fat is higher in calories, but why are we eating, as a nation, less fat than ever but we are fatter than ever?

But I don't think 30 percent of calories is "low fat" please don't mistake my point: I am not anti carb, I am anti low fat!

I like your signature though, accuracy > precision

You should not cut out anything in a balanced diet except empty calories. Fats should account for about 25-30%. Having agreed on that saturated fat should be but a small portion of the fat intake. Carbohydrate is also necessary and is the best form of fuel for the body in a complex form. It is the only source of energy for the brain. The body can and does metabolise fat(cardio exercise is dependent on it) and protein,protein as a last resort but it will use it.Protein also burns dirty. Eat what you want, just smart.Exercise alot if you want real results and moderate all the useless stuff most of us look forward to now and again and you'll do just fine.

I think that alot of people problems has to do with so much processed crap , so many higly processed foods in for on break and crackers and such , realy bad fats like hydrogenated oils and other bad saturated fats.

I firmly believe that people who go on "diets" to lose weight are setting them selves up for failure.
If you have a poor eating regiment that has gotten you fat then go "diet" for 2 months and lose 30lbs do you honeslty think that going back to the same bad eating is not going to yield the same bad results.

Everybody is differant our genetics are differant thuse we dont use the nutrients the same , some people can eat 400-500 grams of carbs a day and be fine , if i did that even in a big calorie deficit i will gain fat and feel like a pregnant cow but when i cut the carbs out i feel and look much better where some folks turn into zombies when they cut their carbs out. The trick is finding your happy medium this is why its not a good idea to follow sombody elses diet , what works for them may not work for you

BUT , carb sensitive or not i think that everybody should have alot more healthy fats in their diet.

All that said , the vast majority of people wo get realy lean and maintain a deceint amount of muscle do so with little carbs

Excellent summary Tango. I would also add that fat aids in recovery when you are training heavy.

Most people restrict calories and then follow a LSD cardio program which helps them lose weight fast but when they arrive at their desired weight they find they are now skinny fat... they lost muscle and fat in roughly the same proportion and made themselves light but weak. Less muscle is never a good thing.

TvoLE,

+10, sir. References? Here ya go:

www.garytaubes.com
www.archevore.com
www.bodybyscience.net
www.hyperlipid.com
www.proteinpower.com

the lipid hypothesis is pure, unmitigated bullshit propagated by BigPharma, BigAgra, BigMD, but mostly, by BigGummint.

It is NOT about calorie intake/calorie output; it's about the nutrient composition of what one eats. read up the links, crew. I'm now 73, weigh in at 161.2#'s and 8.5% body fat this AM. I strength train x1 per week using the protocol outlined in body by science (which I've been doing 10 years continuously before that url was created) and have the rest of my time to enjoy myself. Oh, back in the old days, I completed 20 plus marathons, attempted 100 mile ultras x3 with a personal best of 60 plus, and have a PB at the 50 mile distance of 7 hours 40 plus minutes. It was all bullshit so far as health is concerned. YOU CAN'T OUT RUN A DOUGHNUT
smile.gif

tony

I beg to differ on the "society eats less fat" part. Look at how often people eat fast food and all the other junk.

the movie fathead dissects that argument quite well.
its not the fat, its the carbs. carbs = sugar. makes you fat.
while the fast food eating counter to 'supersize me' was done in the movie to simply prove a point, the guy who made the movie is basically a 'paleo' eater and all supporting documentation in the movie is put forth by the weston a price foundation among others.

europeans, tend to eat much more saturated fats than we do and the obesity problem isnt anything like the US.

I disagree with the conclusion of the original post. While the post correctly trashes carbs, it says nothing about protein. Tell me why fat is superior to protein? Reason - it's not. Why choose something that is no better than second best?

I still can't say I agree with the high fat low carb diet you suggest.

My dad is 60 yrs old this month. Is 6'0" and consistently weighs around 190 lbs. His diet consists of:
granola for breakfast
sammich for mid morning snack
sammich for lunch
sammich for mid afternoon snack
chicken and vegtables and a side dish for dinner

His sammich's are either PBJ or 2 pieces of lunch meat. Usually turkey breast. Always on wheat bread. A high protein diet with a health balance of carbs seems the way to go in my mind.

It's all about the fat. Olive oil, almond butter, guacomle, whatever. Just make sure it's the good kind. Animal fat doesn't bother me much either.

Gotta keep tabs on your carbs, as said above.

i agree with the high protein part...
i just think people, generally influenced by the govt health-complex, place to much emphasis on saturated animal fats, etc. the real 'bad' fats are the hydrogenated vegetable oils, etc. which are the supposedly 'good' fats the vegetarian and 'health' lobbies had a hand in making mcdonalds and other fast food places switch to.

if anything, taking the position of 'quality protein and good fats tend to be good and grains tend to bad' shows that there is much more to heart disease, cholesterol, and general health than what the general establishment tells us. the same establishment who urged americans to be on high carb, low fat diets and made everyone fat.

Okay, look; it's all about having a BALANCED diet (balanced ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins) and eating at the right times during the day. Loading up on carbs and waiting for 4-5 hours before your next meals will put your body into a fat-storing/fat-accumulation mode.

And by the way, for all of you that workout 'till your kidneys bleed; you only need about 1.0 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. Forget about this argument, "Well, I take 320 grams of protein per day because my body really needs it."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, look; it's all about having a BALANCED diet (balanced ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins) and eating at the right times during the day. Loading up on carbs and waiting for 4-5 hours before your next meals will put your body into a fat-storing/fat-accumulation mode.

And by the way, for all of you that workout 'till your kidneys bleed; you only need about 1.0 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. Forget about this argument, "Well, I take 320 grams of protein per day because my body really needs it." </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, look; it's all about having a BALANCED diet (balanced ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins) and eating at the right times during the day. Loading up on carbs and waiting for 4-5 hours before your next meals will put your body into a fat-storing/fat-accumulation mode.

And by the way, for all of you that workout 'till your kidneys bleed; you only need about 1.0 gram of protein per pound of <span style="font-weight: bold">lean body mass</span> per day. Forget about this argument, "Well, I take 320 grams of protein per day because my body really needs it." </div></div>

+2, I also added the emphasis on the "lean body mass" x 1g/day; and that's still the high end.

Aren't simple carbs the most quickly metabolized by the body, followed by proteins, and then stored fats? I may be wrong. I love saturated fats. My grandpa ate eggs and bacon most mornings along with burnt toast. And was walking three to five miles a day to visit friends up until he was 90, eat the fat everyday and don't be afraid to get sweaty everyday.

i dunno if we eat less fat or not. Kinda doubt it.

but we certainly eat more refined sugar. a lot more!

The saying that always sticks with me is if it has a label on it....you probably shouldn't eat it. Simply saying eat more fruit, veggies, and less processed products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whiskeytangofox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beg to differ on the "society eats less fat" part. Look at how often people eat fast food and all the other junk. </div></div>

It's true. Research proves it. We eat less fat now. We eat MUCH more sugar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the conclusion of the original post. While the post correctly trashes carbs, it says nothing about protein. Tell me why fat is superior to protein? Reason - it's not. Why choose something that is no better than second best? </div></div>

Fat better than protien? It's not. Protien better than fat? It's not.

We have Essential amino acids. We also have essential fatty acids.

To say that protien is superior to fat shows your lack of knowledge on nutrition.

The article assumes adequate protien intake.
Qm

When I played soccer in college we called the 'right' diet the Monkey Diet - which was shorthand for fresh stuff: meat, nuts, veggies, fruit. Grains if they were whole (whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc.)

And I'm with the OP - the body needs fat in the diet. Fat isn't the enemy. Sitting around on your ass is the enemy. Like what I'm doing right now...

There was one RAAM racer, ...actually, <span style="text-decoration: underline">the</span> RAAM racer, Rob Kish, ...who only ate Haagen Dazs ice cream during the race. They found out in the first years of the RAAM that 22 hours a day in the saddle was hard enough on the gut without the stress of solid food, so liquid-only diets became the norm. While everybody else was fueling on 4-calorie per gram carbo sports drinks, he was enjoying 9 fatty calories per gram ice cream. Admittedly not the recommended long term diet but it worked well enough for Kish that he finished the RAAM solo event 19 times, won three and came second six more.

I'm on board with a low carb, high protein diet with no restriction on fats. After five months I am extremely lean, just had complete blood work done. I explained my diet. The doctor said "whatever you're doing, it's agreeing with you."

And he enthusiastically encouraged me to continue.

My breakfast is a patty of sausage with a 3 egg omelet, eggs infused with a finely diced habanero, and with swiss & tomato inside. I'm not afraid of fats at all. Lunch is usually a roasted chicken breast or roast beef with a side spinach based salad and wholly guacamole as the dressing. Pork chops, burger or steak for dinner.

I do get some carbs but they are from raw vegetables. Spinach, tomato, cucumber, avocado, etc. And the 2.6 that come with a michelob ultra. :-D

I take supplemental protein only immediately following a strenuous strength workout.

This may not be the right solution for everyone, but it is working for me.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cactus Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the conclusion of the original post. While the post correctly trashes carbs, it says nothing about protein. Tell me why fat is superior to protein? Reason - it's not. Why choose something that is no better than second best? </div></div>

Fat better than protien? It's not. Protien better than fat? It's not.

We have Essential amino acids. We also have essential fatty acids.

To say that protien is superior to fat shows your lack of knowledge on nutrition.

The article assumes adequate protien intake.
Qm </div></div>

I assumed "adequate" fat intake, which isn't much. I never said cut fat completely out of your diet. The OP suggested replacing carbs with fat. I suggested replacing carbs with protein. It works for me, and replacing carbs with fat doesn't. Why up your calorie intake by going with fat?

There are general rules and exceptions. Generally, folks generally eat too much and generally exercise too little. Generally, dietary rules apply to each individual. However, each of us have a distinct homeostatis or basal metabolic rate. Some eat a lot and do little but remain skinny and the converse is true as well, so the one rule will never apply to all.

Sugar comes in several forms. Fructose, lactose, sucrose, sucrolose, glucose and one of these is found in most processed foods. Even in light bread. So we consume too much food in terms of amount, and in terms of calories because its packed with calories in the form of sugar in one of its sub-catagories.

This is merely my layman's understanding based on what I've read and I'm a skeptical reader, believing little of what I read and nothing of what the blond heifer on the tube says.

To be healthier and not fat asses we have to replace processed foods and let up on the meat with grain, nuts, fruits, vegetables, seeds....raw when possible and season with herbs. Cooking kills healthy enzymes that aid digestion.

And stop taking supplements and medicine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that alot of people problems has to do with so much processed crap , so many higly processed foods in for on break and crackers and such , realy bad fats like hydrogenated oils and other bad saturated fats.

I firmly believe that people who go on "diets" to lose weight are setting them selves up for failure.
If you have a poor eating regiment that has gotten you fat then go "diet" for 2 months and lose 30lbs do you honeslty think that going back to the same bad eating is not going to yield the same bad results.

Everybody is differant our genetics are differant thuse we dont use the nutrients the same , some people can eat 400-500 grams of carbs a day and be fine , if i did that even in a big calorie deficit i will gain fat and feel like a pregnant cow but when i cut the carbs out i feel and look much better where some folks turn into zombies when they cut their carbs out. The trick is finding your happy medium this is why its not a good idea to follow sombody elses diet , what works for them may not work for you

BUT , carb sensitive or not i think that everybody should have alot more healthy fats in their diet.

All that said , the vast majority of people wo get realy lean and maintain a deceint amount of muscle do so with little carbs </div></div>

i got to where the only carbs i touch are the 40grams of maltodextrin, and 20grams of dextrose i take in post workout with my shake..and sometimes 30grams of maltodextrin with protein before the gym too....the rest of my carbs come strictly from vegetables, and almonds at this point

I am one of the lucky people - 5'10" and weigh 11 stone (154 pounds) and have done since I was 17 (I'm now 43). I eat whatever food is available, at whatever time I happen to be hungry. I have absolutely no idea what chemicals, salts, sugars or other additives are in any of the foods that I eat. I have to admit though, I very rarely eat candy, or drink fizzy drinks. I do however manually lift and shift about 14(metric) tons of frozen fish a week, delivering 45 and 60 pound boxes to fish and chip (french fries?) takeaways.
This probably just means that my food intake is, and has been adequate for my energy expenditure, for most of my life.

My brother-in-law lives in Alaska in a small town of mostly natives. They eat loads of fat, whale blubber, seal fat, Crisco mixed with local berries make up "Eskimo Ice Cream", etc. They live very long healthy lives...not sure how it plays into the discussion but worth noting...