• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting a loosely built M24 clone. Help me get going if you can...

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
I've always admired the M24 and I want to build a loosely built clone of one. I don't care too much about clone correction but I'd like it to be somewhat close.

I was thinking the first start of the build...Should it be a Remington long action receiver and bolt? I don't exactly know how a long action vs short action works but I do know it will be a 308.

What dictates which magazine has to be used? I want this to have a flush magazine and not one that extends past the stock.

Have you checked the M24 Build threads and / or done any research into the M24 variants to know what is correct and where you think you cAn deviate while still putting together a rifle that meets your expectations?

All your above questions would be answered if you had.

M24 Build thread

Have you checked the M24 Build threads and / or done any research into the M24 variants to know what is correct and where you think you cAn deviate while still putting together a rifle that meets your expectations?

All your above questions would be answered if you had.

M24 Build thread
I've looked at them and it is perfect for a clone but I am looking for a clone at 5 yards.

If .308 and past-arm's length, more inspired-by than clone, then maybe... just go buy a PSS. Restock that when you find time/money to get closer to whichever version of the M24 you like, accessorize a bit, but it starts pretty close and the long action doesn't get you anything with a short action cartridge.

I've looked at them and it is perfect for a clone but I am looking for a clone at 5 yards.
What does that mean?

An imperfect M24 “clone” is going to look like an inperfect clone at 5 yards the same as if you where standing next to it…

Id do an inspired build…long action Remington 700 w/.473 bolt face (30-06), m24 HS Precision stock, badger scope base, bartlein bbl in m40/m24 contour - 5R rifling, trigger of your choice, bottom medal or dbm of your choice. Set of badger or leupold mk4 rings (med height) and a 10x mk4 scope (or similar optic that fits your budget). That should look the part and shoot lights out if put together right.

Last edited:
Something like this?
Remington long action, m24 contour barrel, HS Precision stock, 20 moa rail and PTG bottom metal.
The only things "m24" about it are the action and stock, but it looks the part. Chambered in 6.5x55

Attachments

• 20200703_210152.jpg
    20200703_210152.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: Marksman and KCode
What does that mean?

An imperfect M24 “clone” is going to look like an inperfect clone at 5 yards the same as if you where standing next to it…

Id do an inspired build…long action Remington 700 w/.473 bolt face (30-06), m24 HS Precision stock, badger scope base, bartlein bbl in m40/m24 contour - 5R rifling, trigger of your choice, bottom medal or dbm of your choice. Set of badger or leupold mk4 rings (med height) and a 10x mk4 scope (or similar optic that fits your budget). That should look the part and shoot lights if put together right.
You worded it fantastically! I'm looking for a M24 inspired build, not a clone.

Thank you!

Reactions: nn8734
Something like this?
Remington long action, m24 contour barrel, HS Precision stock, 20 moa rail and PTG bottom metal.
The only things "m24" about it are the action and stock, but it looks the part. Chambered in 6.5x55
Absolutely nailed what I'm going after! I apologize guys for not being as technical as you all, I'm not a bolt action guy at all.

You worded it fantastically! I'm looking for a M24 inspired build, not a clone.

Thank you!
You’re welcome…thinking an M24A2-like build is what you may be after.
1664485121618.jpeg

I mean but why tho? I understand the guys who want a clone but if you just want a remmy 700 in 308 that's easy lol

Reactions: spife7980
You’re welcome…thinking an M24A2-like build is what you may be after.
View attachment 7966389

Just did a bit of looking and that in a detachable 5rd magazine is about exactly what I want. Would starting with a long action 700 receiver be a good start? Then maybe sending it to have a barrel put in by someone?

Just did a bit of looking and that in a detachable 5rd magazine is about exactly what I want. Would starting with a long action 700 receiver be a good start? Then maybe sending it to have a barrel put in by someone?
To be honest, buying a Remington action these days doesn't make a lot of sense.
You would want the action worked over, most gunsmiths will want to, at the very least, true the action face and lap the lugs in. They are putting their rep on the line and just screwing a barrel onto an action doesn't always result in great accuracy.
Personally, I would start buying the components and get in touch with Mack Bro's and get put on the list for an Evo II long action.
This is a custom action that won't need to be trued, and actually costs about the same as a stock remington action:

It is a 700 clone, will fit in the same stock. I would talk to them first to make sure it would be comaptible with a DBM.
If you can get a good deal on a 700 action, but are looking to pinch pennies, then send your action to Shaw barrels, have them true it and install an m40 profile barrel on it.
Their barrels shoot very well.

Yep, LA 700 action with a .473 bolt face; 30-06 action is what you need or a “clone” action like what Bighorn or Impact make. Basically you’d have a M24A2 minus the “M24” marked action as all the other parts including the MARS rail are available. If you wanted to really get super close, find an OPs Inc 3rd model suppressor and a gunsmith who can contour the muzzle end of the barrel to accept the suppressor and you’re done.

I want the action and bolt handle to be that of a M24. So the flat pancake type Remington handle

All the aftermarket actions you guys are suggesting don't really look M24'ish.

Last edited:
Say I get the long action above? Who would some suggested barrel makers or gunsmiths that would be a good choice to pair it up with a M24 style barrel and have acceptable accuracy? Not looking for clover leafs at 600 yards but I'd like decent grouping at 300-400 yards as that's all I have access to.

grab a real M24 action off of gunbroker and build it however you want. Then when clone purists give you shit for calling it a M24 you can point to the receiver and say "ackchyually"

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
I personally wouldn't waste the effort building a 308 on a long action when you have zero intent to have the real deal top to bottom. Nor have a plan to swap the gun later to 300WM.

You can get a cheap and easy to find 700 Varmint model. Order a new HS Precision stock that is the correct model...just short action. Get a Mk4 or whatever scope you want. You can easily have a AICS pattern mag and bottom metal in short action. Leupy canted rail and Mk4 rings.

Odds are building a short action when you look at all the parts....LA magazines, LA bottom metal, clone correct LA stocks, clone correct LA rails....the SA will be much cheaper.

You can get a Mk4 with a TMR reticle or H59. And not be hamstrung with a M3A 10X. Get a Mk4 5-25 or something with matching turrets to reticle. Its "basically" the same. Buy a good modern trigger with the money saved.
FB_IMG_1664510124987.jpg

There's nothing magical about the M24.
Especially if your not going whole hog tracking down all the critical parts.

I personally wouldn't waste the effort building a 308 on a long action when you have zero intent to have the real deal top to bottom. Nor have a plan to swap the gun later to 300WM.

You can get a cheap and easy to find 700 Varmint model. Order a new HS Precision stock that is the correct model...just short action. Get a Mk4 or whatever scope you want. You can easily have a AICS pattern mag and bottom metal in short action. Leupy canted rail and Mk4 rings.

Odds are building a short action when you look at all the parts....LA magazines, LA bottom metal, clone correct LA stocks, clone correct LA rails....the SA will be much cheaper.

You can get a Mk4 with a TMR reticle or H59. And not be hamstrung with a M3A 10X. Get a Mk4 5-25 or something with matching turrets to reticle. Its "basically" the same. Buy a good modern trigger with the money saved.
View attachment 7966664
There's nothing magical about the M24.
Especially if your not going whole hog tracking down all the critical parts.
Long action in .308 Winchester is Correct for M24 style rifle . The OP is talking faux M24 not your personal preference . Long action .308 lets you seat those bullets where you want, huge benefit .

Say I get the long action above? Who would some suggested barrel makers or gunsmiths that would be a good choice to pair it up with a M24 style barrel and have acceptable accuracy? Not looking for clover leafs at 600 yards but I'd like decent grouping at 300-400 yards as that's all I have access to.
First, decide how much you are willing to invest in the look alike rifle.
A new barrel is going to cost you 300-350 dollars. having said barrel threaded, chambered and installed is going to cost another 200-250.
Having the action trued is going to run 150 or so
The proper HS precision stock is going to run around 580 bucks.
The easy button for this is to call Robert at RW Snyder Gunsmithing, he is a hide sponsor @RWSGunsmithing
go to the basse custom rifle page and make the following selections.
Action - Remington
Right handed
No Stock
Trigger - Tuned Remington
Muzzle - recessed crown
Barreld action cerakote finish - black
Barrel make - no preference
Barrel contour - M24
Caliber - .308
Barrel Length - 24"
Bolt knob - factory remington
Spiral flute bolt - no

Your total will be $1950 for a custom made rifle. You'll need to buy the stock seperately. You will HAVE to call him, since you want a long action.
He may also be able to get the stock for you, it's just not something he typically stocks. This is actually a very good price, as it includes cerakoting the rifle.
You could also source the parts, the action, barrel and recoil lug and send it to him for truing and install, which will help you spread out the cost.

Long action in .308 Winchester is Correct for M24 style rifle . The OP is talking faux M24 not your personal preference . Long action .308 lets you seat those bullets where you want, huge benefit .
Correct, I was looking for adjustability with hand load 308s and then stumbled into remembering I could turn that criteria into a "M24" but I don't care for the having to match every single part down to the NSN number.

Then go long action with the HS PST011 stock with whatever brand M24 contour barrel you want.

Anything less than that and you quickly lose any semblance of an actual M24.

Reactions: Bakwa
I like that term, "clone at five yards."
I'm going to put that one in my pocket and use it to piss off clone purist. 😉

Reactions: jpop8807