• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Washington state monthly matches at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club

looking forward to meeting some of you in July, just gonna observe thanks, hoping I can make this without my other job in the way.

I'm sorry to have missed it today, I'm up near the Canadian border posting on a slow sattelite connection. if you're taking July reservations already please save spots for me, laurel, and my dad.

Everyone that posted here I have you down for next month.

Also, we are going to start using dedicated RO's for each match. Unknown and I are still figuring out the details of what we can use to entice shooters to come out and RO for us, so we will let everyone know as soon as we get it figured out. I would like to have 3 RO's for each match that are not going to shoot the match. This way we can have the same person running a stage for all shooters and not rotating like we have to do now.

That being said, if anyone wants to volunteer to RO at next months match let me know, thanks.

Everyone that posted here I have you down for next month.

Also, we are going to start using dedicated RO's for each match. Unknown and I are still figuring out the details of what we can use to entice shooters to come out and RO for us, so we will let everyone know as soon as we get it figured out. I would like to have 3 RO's for each match that are not going to shoot the match. This way we can have the same person running a stage for all shooters and not rotating like we have to do now.

That being said, if anyone wants to volunteer to RO at next months match let me know, thanks.

That sounds good. I'll certainly volunteer to do it, but I don't think I'll even be able to attend the July match,... that is if it's on the 5th of July as I suspect. Is it the 5th? If so, I'll be out of town.

On the topic of RO's and stages. I've been wanting to take a poll on the need/desire of grouping shooters at these matches. Inevitably a group runs faster than the others, and conversely, one that runs slower than the others and gums up the 'flow' of the match. I remember at one of the matches,... maybe 3-4 months ago (?), we ran kind of a free-for-all, i.e. each competitor was responsible for getting themselves in line for the next stage and could complete them at the pace the shooter desired, and it was AWESOME! Everyone I talked to loved the format as it left folks time to address any tweaks on their gear that needed doing.You got a chance to converse with everyone, check out the latest gear, watch how someone completes a stage,...etc. Again, it was AWESOME! In any case, it's just a thought.

Ry

Got this in an e-mail,... it's pretty good:

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right in my doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about my business. While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house. After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so.In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself. Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World. But if you take out Chicago , Detroit , Washington DC and New Orleans , the United States is 4th from the bottom for Murders. These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States . ALL 4 are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data – right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons.
I hear they're making people fat.

If there is still room, please put me down for the July match.

Well I just moved to Puyallup not too long ago, and I really just love to shoot at steel targets. Does UNSC have any steel matches, or allow steel targets on the range for members?

Well I just moved to Puyallup not too long ago, and I really just love to shoot at steel targets. Does UNSC have any steel matches, or allow steel targets on the range for members?

We have our practical rifle match on the first Saturday of the month, which is mainly shooting steel. They also have a steel handgun challenge once a month. They have a few pieces of steel set out on the 550 yard range, but in order to put your own steel out there you need to contact a range officer and make sure its ok.

Thanks for the info! I called today and I'll be signing up for a membership this week. I'll see ya'll out there sometime!

Kevin, if there's room, I can shoot the July match.
Thanks,
Doug

Also, I agree with Ryan about the style of match organization where we queued at the position. It really helped me as a new shooter to talk to the folks around me. Regardless, I really appreciate all your time and effort to build this up.

Somehow I missed Ryan's post the first time around, but I agree too. Letting people line up when they wanted, at whichever stage they wanted, seemed to minimize downtime and kept things flowing really well.

Here is the tentative course of fire for July's match. You will notice that we have included a pistol stage for this match. If you do not own a pistol or are not sure what kind of pistol is suitable for this please shoot me a PM and we will work it out. I am willing to let shooters borrow my Glock 17 for the pistol stage if they need to. I only ask that you bring 20 rounds of factory 9mm ammo to shoot the stage with. There will be no drawing from holsters or mandatory reloads but it is 20 rounds for the stage so most will have to do a reload. If things go well with the pistol stage expect to see more pistol shooting in the months to come.

Remember that this match is being held on July 5th, which as we all know is the official start of the northwest summer! Be prepared for a long, all day match, outside, in the sun and heat. Bring water and snacks, there is nothing available at the range except a garden hose.

We are still looking for a few RO's for next month, so if anyone is interested in helping out let Unknown or myself know.

100 yard COF

Positional – 120 seconds – 9 rounds – 18 points possible – 3 points per hit
Start standing at the low ready with an empty rifle. Upon the start signal load rifle and from the standing position engage the 10” circle, 8” circle, and 6” square with one round each then repeat from kneeling and seated. No bags or pillows may be used. Only your shoulder, sling and hands may support the rifle.

Parapet – 60 seconds – 6 rounds – 12 points possible – 2 points per hit
Start standing behind the parapet at the low ready with an empty rifle. Upon the start signal load rifle and use the parapet as support to engage the 6” square with 2 rounds from each level of the parapet.

Pistol barricade @ 25 to 40 yards – 120 seconds – 20 rounds – 10 points possible – 0.5 point per hit
Start standing behind the pistol barricade with an empty pistol. Upon the start signal load pistol and use the enclosed ports of the barricade to engage the two IPSC targets with two rounds on each target from 5 different ports on the barricade (4 shots from each port).

550 yard COF

Swinging platform – 90 seconds – 6 rounds – 18 points possible – 3 points per hit
Start standing behind the platform with an empty rifle at the low ready. Upon the start signal climb onboard the platform, load rifle and engage the silhouette targets in order from near to far with 2 shots at each target.

Horizontal barricade – 90 seconds – 9 rounds – 18 points possible – 2 points per hit
Start standing behind the horizontal barricade with an empty rifle at the low ready. Upon the start signal use the barricade as support, load rifle and engage the circle targets in order from near to far with 3 shots at each target.

From the rack – 90 seconds – 9 rounds – 18 points possible – 2 points per hit
The shooter’s rifle and gear will be staged in a “gear rack” with the exception of ammunition which will be on the shooters person. Upon the start signal the shooter will retrieve their gear, move to the designate shooting position, assume a prone position, load rifle and then engage the square targets from near to far with 3 shots at each target.

Non-dominant (weak side) prone – 120 seconds – 6 rounds – 18 points possible – 3 points per hit
Start standing at the low ready with an empty rifle. Upon the start signal shooters will assume a non-dominant (weak side) prone position, load rifle and engage the silhouette targets in order from near to far with 2 shots at each target.

Barricade – 90 seconds – 6 rounds – 12 points possible – 2 points per hit
Start standing at the low ready with an empty rifle. Upon the start signal use the enclosed ports of the barricade (no prone) to engage the circle targets and then the silhouette targets in order from near to far with 1 shot at each target.

Long range positional – 120 seconds – 4 rounds – 16 points possible – 4 points per hit
Start standing at the low ready with an empty rifle. Upon the start signal assume a kneeling or seated shooting position and engage the 12” square plate at 500 yards. You may use a sling, bag, pillow or other devices to aid in building a solid position. You may use a tripod or shooting sticks but no part of the rifle (bipod) may touch the ground.

please count me in for july! I want to give my 223 a workout

questions,

1-can we zero our rifles and gather dope out to 550 before the match starts? I will just have mounted a mew scope on the rifle I am picking up over on the west side

2-Was is the start time?

3-Approximate finish time?

4-I have a spring TPOST target I would like to beat up, Can we use it? Maybe on stage Parapet?

please count me in for july! I want to give my 223 a workout

questions,

1-can we zero our rifles and gather dope out to 550 before the match starts? I will just have mounted a mew scope on the rifle I am picking up over on the west side

2-Was is the start time?

3-Approximate finish time?

4-I have a spring TPOST target I would like to beat up, Can we use it? Maybe on stage Parapet?

Hey Jake-

1: No, we don't have time in the morning to setup a zero range or let people shoot before the match starts. Too much to do in too little time.

2: Need you there by 0830 for the safety brief / orientation for first time shooters.

3: We should be done by 3 or 4 PM

4: Bring the target, we should be able to use it and adjust the COF on the fly.

See you there buddy!

Thanks Kevin. Congrats on your placement for last month. Nice shooting!
Happy about the pistol stage.

Also, my Chrony is TU, I think. Any chance to confirm MV at the shoot?

Kevin,

It looks like my dad will be out of town on the 5th and can't make the match. His spot is free now.

Seeds,
This isn't directed at you, so please don't think I'm singling you out. I'm posting this because we regularly get similar requests, and it seems only fair that we explain to people why we do things the way we do. We realize that many venues DO allow shooters time to check zero, or velocity prior to matches. Like all the other people using the UNSC facilities, we have to obey all the club's rules...not just most of 'em.

Kevin and I have shared a number of discussions about having people check zero, or velocity, or otherwise do shooting prior to the practical rifle matches. Here is what we came up with, so people understand why our normal response, is "no".

The club requires that anyone who is not a club member can ONLY shoot at the club if they pay the $10 guest fee, and have a member present with them during ANY shooting. What this means is that if you are a club member, you would be OK to shoot on any of the club's ranges that aren't being used for a match. If you are not a club member, you are prohibited from doing any shooting unless it is at the match, or you pay the guest fee, in addition to the match fee.

Prior to the match, (starting at about 7:00 AM) Kevin and I are busy setting up the steel, painting targets, getting the scoring figured out, squadding people, finding range officers, getting competitors signed up for the match, and about a dozen other logistical items. We don't have the time to stop what we are doing to accompany someone to another range so they can check velocity or zero. The last thing Kevin and I want is to get our discipline shut down because we chose to disobey the club's rules by allowing non-members to shoot on their own.

If people are able to find a club member who has the spare time to accompany them to a range to shoot (such as the 175 yard range), then there would not be a problem. But please keep in mind that doing so would require paying the guest fee ($10) because match fees only authorize non members to shoot at the match stages. Club members can shoot on any available range whenever they wish.

Kevin, looks like I will be able to make it on the 5th after all. Can you add me in if its not too late?

Shamir

No problem, and thanks for what you do to make this kind of shoot available to me, a greenhorn right off the street.

I wish I didn't live clear across the state and had a reasonable amount of travel to attend these matches. Damn good practice fo shur!

We just took delivery of lots of new steel...

10 2"x 3" rectangles
10 3"x 5" diamonds
10 4" x 4" squares
2 3.5" x 7" rectangles
3 40% IPSC
3 8" squares

Thanks very much to Jake at JCSteel targets for getting these to us so quickly, and for a terrific deal on them all. All painted, and ready to go.

I think we forgot to post which targets will be at which distances for the July match, so here is the info. Additionally, we are probably NOT going to be posting the big numbers next to the targets for the July match.

100 yard range
One target frame with a 10” circle, 8” circle, 6” square
One target frame with 6” square
66% IPSC on t-post
66% IPSC on t-post

550 yard range
100 yard line – 6” square and 8” circle
200 yard line – 10” circle
275 yards – 8” circle
300 yards – 50% IPSC
432 yards – 50% IPSC
500 yards – 12” square
535 yard line – 12” square and 66% IPSC

Does anybody know a good gunsmith in the general UNSC or Portland area? I'd like to get the muzzle of my Tikka threaded and a brake put on, but don't want to necessarily ship it somewhere. I'd prefer somebody near Portland, but I'll be up at UNSC on Saturday, so I could drop it off near there as well. Recommendations appreciated.

Shamir,
Travis does really good work. His "Handle" here on the hide is RBros. You can email, or PM him to discuss your project. When time permits, he comes out and shoots with us. You go past his area (around olympia) on your way north from down south, so dropping off your rifle wouldn't be too much out of the way.