• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Washington state monthly matches at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club

Shamir,
When considering Travis' work, keep in mind how unusual it is for anyone to get a 100% satisfaction rating from all their customers...very unusual, and equally favorable.

Thanks guys - will email in addition to the PM. i'm going to be out of the country for a while starting mid-July, so it would be awesome to get this done while I am gone.

Does anybody know a good gunsmith in the general UNSC or Portland area? I'd like to get the muzzle of my Tikka threaded and a brake put on, but don't want to necessarily ship it somewhere. I'd prefer somebody near Portland, but I'll be up at UNSC on Saturday, so I could drop it off near there as well. Recommendations appreciated.

I used https://www.tornado-technologies.com/ in Hillsboro for threading many times. They have always been great.

Kevin,

I won't be making it to the match on the 5th. Hope you all shoot straight and have fun! Gonna miss it!

-BGE

I used https://www.tornado-technologies.com/ in Hillsboro for threading many times. They have always been great.

I used Tornado twice - terrific work. Sometimes they can take a while as they do their work in lots by thread size. As them about the lead time for your particular thread size. The first time I used them I waited almost four months. The second time my work was completed in a week.

I think I've seen him pop up in a few threads here on the hide. Thanks - I've PMed him.

Hi Shamir,

FWIW, I have Travis building me a complete rifle in 6.5x47. It will be ready next week. I decided to go with Travis when I saw the level of service he gave my shooting buddy Steve. You can't go wrong with Travis.

Regards,

Ed

Last edited:
I checked weather forecast before the match at UNSC yesterday...It said expect a high around 70...WRONG! My face feels like a piece of overcooked bacon this morning. I didn't shoot worth a darn, but I really had a great time. We are fortunate to have a great bunch of shooters attending there, thanks to all of you for making all the work worth while.

Big thank you to Anton and Kevin for all the hard work and hours of effort to make this happen. I always look forward to getting out and shooting at UNSC every month.

I agree. It takes a lot of work and dedication to keep a match like this going. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the match guys it was a blast as usual. I would also like to claim a spot for August Thanks.

Thanks again guys! Great match! I will be bringing the .22/45 next time though! Any word on standings?

Many thanks to Anton and Kevin for running an awesome match. i probably wont make it for the next couple of months, so I will see you guys again in the fall.

Please add me, Laurel, and Joe to the August match too.

Thanks for the opportunity to shoot with you folks. Had a great time and learned a bunch.

Please sign me up for next months match!

Thanks

Thanks *Nine for reminding me! I'll take a spot for August if there are any left.

Lucas R.

Hey Guys, can you please put Zack L. and Tracey L. on the list for the August match? Also, which day will it be?

Many thanks!!

Matches at UNSC are held on the first Saturday of each month...unless driving is hazardous, such as icy roads in winter.

Orientation/safety briefing is mandatory for all first time competitors, and it starts at 08:30 AM the day of the match. The match proper starts at 10:00 AM, maybe a little sooner if we get all the paperwork done early. However, shooters who show up at 10:00 AM (ones that have previously completed the orientation) will get to shoot.

We publish the course of fire a week or two ahead of the match so people will know the round count. Kevin and I are finalizing the August match, and have already started sending the proposed course back and forth to each other. The proposed course gets draw up, and we send it back and forth for improvements and modifications.

Anyone wanting on the mailing list for the UNSC matches should send a short email saying something like "add me onto the mailing list" to [email protected]. Then we will put you onto the mailing list and send you a copy of the course of fire after it gets published.

Entry fee is $20 (for now), and usually the matches require between 60-80 rounds of ammo. Most targets are steel from 100-545 yards. We will laser the targets for distances after they get placed on the range. Then we put post the distance to all targets near the sign up area, prior to the match.

Interested shooters can scroll back through this thread to see what previous courses of fire have had in them. We almost always have some kind of standards course (standing, kneeling, seated), and usually have a barricade, parapet, roof top, doghouse, or other sorts of props in use. We don't use all of the props, just enough to keep things different from match to match.

A few photos of props and stages for those who haven't shot one of these before (they're really a great deal of fun!)

WP_20130706_023.jpg

WP_20130803_013.jpg

WP_20130803_025.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D

IMG_20140405_131511.jpg

August 2014 Practical Rifle Tentative Course of Fire

100 yard range:

LEFT SIDE OF RANGE:
6" square (T1)
4" square (T2)
5.5" x 8.5" rectangle (T3)
3.5" x 7" rectangle (T4)

RIGHT SIDE OF RANGE:
12" round (T5)
40% IPSC (T6)
10" round (T7)
12" square (T8)

1. Left side of range: 12 rounds, 120 seconds, 1 point per hit
Begin with empty rifle. Rifles with removable magazine will have magazine out, rifles without removable magazine will remove the bolt. After start signal, move from start area to shoot position, and place empty rifle on the ground. Return to start area and retrieve either 6 rounds of ammo in a magazine, the bolt, or 6 loose rounds of ammo. Return to shoot area and engage T1-4 with one round each, and re-engage T1-2 a second time (6 shots total). Leave empty rifle at shoot area, and return to start area. Retrieve 6 LOOSE rounds of ammo, return to rifle, and engage T4,5, then T1-4 with one round each (6 rounds total).

2. Standards: Right side of range. 12 rounds/120 seconds/1 point per hit. There will be a gently balanced 1x2 above shooter's muzzle at both shoot areas. Shooter's muzzle must protrude below the 1x2 during shooting and preparation, but if the 1x2 is dislodged by the rifle (poor muzzle control), the shooter will receive a zero on the stage.

After the start signal shooter will engage T5-8 with one round each from offhand, then with a completely empty rifle (chamber and magazine), move to shoot area 2, and fire one round on T5-8 from kneeling, then transition to seated position and repeat.

3. Rooftop/barricade. Left side of range. 12 rounds/120 seconds/1 point per hit. This will use the small roof top placed onto it's side with the point of the "V" toward the targets. Begin @ low ready with empty chamber. After start signal, engage T1-4 with one round each from either right, or left side of barricade, but with muzzle below the top line of the barricade. Then engage T1-4 with one round each from over the top of the barricade, and finally, engage T1-4 again from the other end of the barricade, again below the top line of the barricade. Must use cover and remain inside side fault lines.

4. Pistol stage. 16 rounds/ 60 seconds/16 points possible
Shooter will begin with pistol at low ready position on the left side of the range,
about 15 yards from the left bank of targets. Pistol will be loaded with no more
than 8 rounds. After the start signal, shooter will fire one round only on T1-4,
and repeat. Shooter cannot leave shoot area 1 until his pistol has it's slide
locked to the rear, or the cylinder open. After pistol has it's slide locked to the
rear, or cylinder open, shooter will move to shoot area two, located in front of
targets #5-8. Shooter may reload their pistol only AFTER stopping at shoot
area two. Shooter will then fire one round only at targets #5-8, and repeat.
Shooter must engage targets as designated 1-4, then 1-4 again, then engage
targets 5-8, then 5-8 again.

550 yard range

535 yards: 66% IPSC, and 50% IPSC (T12, and T13)
500 yards: 50% IPSC, and 66% IPSC (T10, and T11)
435 yards: 40% IPSC, 50% IPSC, 66% IPSC (T7, T98, T9)
375 yards: 8" square, and 12" square (T5 and T6)
300 yards: 10" round, and 12" round (T3 and T4)
200 yards: 4" square, and 6" square (T1, and T2)
100 yards: small triangle, small rectangle, and small square (Bank #1)
small rectangle, small square, small triangle (Bank #2)
small square, small triangle, small rectangle (Bank #3)

Stage 4. In the cards. 9 rounds/90 seconds/1 point per hit. There will be three cards, with each card indicating the various banks of 3 targets at 100 yards. The deck will be shuffled and placed at random in front of the shoot area. Shooter begins with empty rifle on ground next to the deck of 3 cards. After the start signal, shooter will turn over ONE card, load rifle, and engage the bank of targets indicated on the card they turned over. If the incorrect bank is engaged, there will be a zero score for that bank of targets. All banks of targets shall be engaged from RIGHT TO LEFT ONLY. Shooter will repeat this process with the other two banks of targets.

Stage 5. Parapet. 10 rounds, 120 seconds/1 point per hit. Using rifle, sling and bipod only...no bags, packs or other support. Begin at low ready, chamber empty. After start signal, from the uppermost level of the parapet, engage T3 with one round, and T4 with one round only, and repeat. Then from the lowest level of the parapet, engage T1, and T2 (200 yards) with one round only. From the middle height level of the parapet, engage T5 with one round, and T6 (375 yards) with one round, and repeat.

Stage 6. Horizontal Barricade. 9 rounds/120 seconds/1 point per hit
Shooting around the ends of the barricade will be done from a full left handed position around the left side, and a full right handed position around the right side...hybrid positions are not allowed. Shooter must pull the trigger with the hand matching the side of the barricade they are shooting from (i.e., left hand side of barricade=left trigger finger). Start position is low ready, empty chamber. After start signal, move to either end of the barricade, and engage T7, T8, and T9 (435 yards) with one round only from that end of the barricade, using the barricade as cover. Repeat over the top of the barricade, and repeat from the remaining end of the barricade.

Stage 7. Parapet and barricade. 12 rounds/120 seconds/1 point per hit. Shooter will begin in overwatch position from either end of the barricade, or any level on the parapet. Shooter will have 30 seconds to acquire their overwatch position prior to start of the stage.
Shooting positions will be from either end of the horizontal barricade, and from one level (shooter's choice) at the parapet. Shooter must use cover at the horizontal barricade.
After the start signal, shooter will engage T10, T11,(500 yards) T12, and T13 (535 yards) with one round only. Move to next position and repeat, move to final position and repeat. IF THE MUZZLE OF A LOADED FIREARM GOES ABOVE THE BACK STOP AREA, SHOOTER WILL ZERO THIS STAGE. THERE WILL BE NO WARNING FOR FAILURE TO PROPERLY CONTROL YOUR MUZZLE.

Last edited:
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if the 550 is open tomorrow(July26)? I usually go every Saturday. Their event schedule says archery and 100 yard range closed for 4H then under it, it says sporting clays 550/trap closed. Im wondering if this is a typo since i thought they only closed the 550 for the practical shoot and the 50cal load development. Its to late to call their and i was hoping to be there when they open like always. Any info would be great! Thanks ahead of time.

For some of the sporting clays matches I think they close down the 550 range as they have some targets up on the hill behind the 550 range, and along the road that runs down to the 550 pits.

There were a couple of times when we had to cease fire at practical rifle matches when we noticed people on the hill way above the 550 yard berm. They told us they thought they were behind the hill, and we told them we could clearly see them while we were shooting. They said they would go elsewhere, but the same thing happened about a half hour later.

We later learned that they place targets up there for the bigger sporting clays matches, and the fellows who were on the hill were working on the targets. Although no one likes to loose a range, I am pleased that they are being more cautious about having conflicts between the 550 range and sporting clay target placement.

I'm not a big shotgun shooter, but I can appreciate that sporting clays need range time too. Keeping everyone safe is, and should be the highest priority. Sporting clays brings HUGE amounts of money into the club, so it is understandable that they want to close down a rifle range in order to keep the sporting clays shooters safe. My guess is that sporting clays is the single biggest money maker for the club. That alone explains a great deal.

Looks like a good one,... Unfortunately, I'm gonna miss out on it,... and probably September's,... I'm in the midst of closing on a new house and the seller already bought a new place and wants to close it by the end of the month, so I'm running around like a chicken with,... you get the idea. Check it out! Right on the Pilchuk River:

The House:
Crooked_Mile_Main_House.jpg

The Shop:
Crooked_Mile_Shop.jpg

The Porch & River:
Crooked_Mile (1 of 1)-21.jpg

I got it for a great price, but it needs some TLC! If you're ever up near Granite Falls, stop on by!

Ry

Blurry6,
That place looks great. No wonder you bought it. Now the fun of moving and making it your place starts.

Thanks Alan!

Yeah, I'm neck-deep in the home buying process and with the current owner asking to accelerate the closing schedule it's like drinking from a firehose with inspections, appraisals, money here, money there, sign this, sign that...etc. I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop as it progresses,... Have a great match!... don't shoot your eye out ;)

Ry

Place looks nice Ryan ! For the house warming presents you can just ask for H4350 and Varget, They go with everything.

Hah! I like those suggestions! Those and some 105gr Hybrids can really make a house feel cozy ;)

Ry

Hah! I like those suggestions! Those and some 105gr Hybrids can really make a house feel cozy ;)

Ry

Now if you get any 6.5mm 130 VLD Hunting (kind of like somebody gets you a cabernet not knowing you are into merlots) I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

Subscribed. I need a detachable mag!!! I'd be at the next one for sure but with a 4 round capacity I don't think I'll be able to compete.

Therichardpowell,
I really enjoyed watching you work that rifle of yours yesterday. It isn't what you are able to do when you have your dream gear that is important....it what you are able to do with what you have on hand. I thought you did a VERY admirable job of working with the equipment you had. I would encourage you to keep coming out and just using what you have. After all, each one of us is trying to improve our skill level with the gear we currently own. There will always be someone who can outshoot us with better gear or skill, and someone who can outshoot them for many other reasons.

For those reasons, I am my own arch enemy at matches...I am the one I compete against, as every match I attend, I hope to do a little better than I did at the last match. If I am able to do that, then I go home well pleased with myself, regardless of who came out ahead of me on the match results.

I was pleased to see you do so well with the gear you had. You obviously know your way around that rifle, and I would much rather watch someone like that shoot, and stay in the fight, than watch someone with a high end bit of gear fumble their way through a stage, and give up out of frustration.

Subscribed. I need a detachable mag!!! I'd be at the next one for sure but with a 4 round capacity I don't think I'll be able to compete.

Hi,

Like Unknown said, compete against yourself. Set certain goals such as "I'm going to have first round hits on X% of my targets." When I first started shooting the UNC matches the better shooters counseled me to focus on hits and they said speed would come. Roll forward one year and I'm pleased with my progress but I have a long way to go. I would also encourage you to adopt a practice regimen that gets you out of prone. Steve and I built our own barricades but before that we shot off sawhorses, stools, benches and anything else we could find.

There are a lot of reasonably priced detachable mag options using AI mags. Travis of RBros is one of a number of local gunsmiths who can help you out.

Steve and I have been sharing our progress on our Facebook page - check it out: https://www.facebook.com/sixfiveguys

Good luck!