• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Water purifier

strick9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Mt Horrible, SC
No I don't want the opinions of those backpakn yuppy folks over at "mysnoopybagisbetterthanyours.com". I am lookin for dirt down ugly abusive user type comments and reviews.

Needs to be price oriented, tough, reliable and easy to use.

Any reviews or recommendations would be a great help will be used in warm eastern swamps and high western mountains.

Kind Regards

Re: Water purifier

Look no further then Katadyn. Look under the products on top left.There is also some info on H2O .
Also when doing light packing 3-4 days I use the Micropur tablets,no residual taste.
I'd suggest the Hiker-pro,mine has been through a lot.
When I go into areas where I need to I carry a Pocket.
The Katadyn Pocket is expensive,heavy,but looonng lasting.
Micropur tablets are great for weight conscience,but will leave murky water murky,but potable.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/
http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-prod...adyn-hiker-pro/ [select video]

UV purifiers are great for home systems or any well system.

Nor do I like Miox I will not rely on battery powered water treatment,especially in cold weather.

So your hiker pro is gtg, have seen some reviews that say it pinches the working hand, that the handle breaks, but hell they have changed the name etc so many times its hard to say its the same, great call on the micropur

Just so you know Katadyn bought Pur some time ago.
INHO If you pinch your fingers or break the handle you're doing something wrong.
grin.gif

Check out the video.
In another former life I was a rep for Slummberjack-Katadyn,Sunnto,and CEBE sunglasses

Well hiker pro it is for number one, Damn that Pocket and expedition model do look quite bad to the bone, almost makes you want to need them!

If you neeed a stationary /camp type look at Katadyn's Base Camp.
Light collapsible and real good for a drip type.

MSR miniworks gets my vote.

I've been using one for well over five years now. Backpacking, hunting, and just general outdoor'n... it's a great filter. When the filter gets cruddy you just sand down the ceramic to expose fresh pores, good to go. The filters last a long time due to that. If you use Nalgenes (I do, religiously) the filter threads right onto them. No muss no fuss while pumping as it makes for one solid unit to hang on to.

I have a couple buddies who use Katadyns and I've tried them out. Meh... they work fine but I find the MSR to be a much more refined and easy to use product.

got a steripen classic as a gift a while back, but haven't used it yet. i stick to katadyn tablets for the most part or good old boiling.

has anyone had experience with the steripens? the reviews on it look great, but i'm still leery about trusting it.

Just picked up the mini waterworks, simply due to screw on application to waterbottle,no need to carry extra filter and it just felt sturdier in hand, on the hiker pro it just felt like I coulda popped the handle, got the micropur tabs as well. Thanks gents

i prefer katadyn hiker pro, ive used a few of msr's water purifiers one with the ceramic filter they work well too, but my vote goes to the katadyn hiker

Use the katadyn Extream XR...In a country where all water contains Bilhazia and Giadia and we are in the middle of our third year of a cholera epidemic...Expensive but heck-it works.

Katadyn Pocket is expensive but well built. The filters last forever and it is reasonable to pump for multiple people. It is field serviceable as well. It is probably way too heavy to carry for just one person on shorter trips though.

The Katadyn Mini filter is much cheaper, lighter but has a low flow. For one person it's OK. Two or more it will be a lot of work. This is the filter I take when I want something lightweight and small for solo camping or day hikes where I think I'll need to refill my water.

The Katadyn water bottles also are a good option because they are really easy to operate.

The paper filter pump models I avoid after I had one clog up really bad on a trip when some sediment was accidentally sucked into it. The paper filters, once clogged, are essentially not field serviceable. They can be scrubbed on a little, but you risk tearing a hole in it. The ceramic Katadyn and other models are all field cleanable but you do need to be careful that you don't drop the filter. I also have heard that you not let them freeze when full of water which can crack them.

MSR has some ceramic filters as well, but I've not tried them yet. Many people like them however.

If you are going into an area where virus contamination is an issue then you should look for a filter with an iodine module as well. Ceramic and paper filters cannot filter out viruses. If you are in the US or north this will probably not be an issue.

Polar Pure (http://www.polarequipment.com) is iodine and works well for shorter trips and emergencies. It will leave an after taste in the water, but the small size makes it a good addition to an emergency kit and it won't expire (it's just crystal iodine). You can mix in something like Tang and it will knock out the iodine aftertaste. I'm not sure if using iodine like this is a good long term solution though but this will supposedly kill viruses in water.

I'd avoid the UV filters or anything with batteries. A friend with the UV filter light did get Giardia. The doctor speculates that the water he drank had sediment in it with pores that shielded the protozoa from the UV exposure and didn't kill everything.

What about the Katadyn Vario? Is it durable? What about filter life?

Thanks,

Dusty