• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

wby or rem

kdxman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
ARIZONA
I have a weatherby accumark in 300 wby mag before I dump a bunch of money into it would it be better to trade it in for a rem 700 xcr LR in 300 win? After reading every thing on this sight the rem 700 is very popular and the weatherby not so much. Wish I could have found this sight first. I am going to use it for hunting and long distance shooting.
Thanks for the help

Re: wby or rem

I would 100% go with the remington because of the huge supply of parts if you choose to upgrade. The wby will cost you an arm and a leg for ammo, or brass if you reload.

I think generally Weatherby's are not the type of rifle you "dump a bunch of money into" to begin with. It usually is what it is and other than optics you just leave it that way. If it shoots well and you're happy with it you didn't waste your money. If you were starting from scratch I'd say I have to agree with dpreston. FWIW

300 WBY brass does not cost an arm and a leg. You can get Remington 300 Wby. brass for about the same price as 300 WM brass. And you can get high grade Nosler brass for the 300 WBY, and it is $4 more than 300 WM brass. So before you sell your rifle and loose a bunch of money, look at the facts first.

The 300 WBY cartridge in the Accu-Mark is one fine rifle. It may not be tacti-cool, but it is still a fine rifle for 99% of the shooters out there. If you have to have the cool factor then trade off your Wby. rifle. But if you are just wanting a rifle to shoot then the Wby. rifle wil do just fine.

However if you are serious about getting into tactical shooting then these guys here can really help you out, and point you in the right direction. But be prepared to spend a bunch of money cause that stuff ain't cheap. Tom.

I don't care about the taci-cool look My idea was there are a lot more aftermarket parts for the rem then the wby. I would like to learn to shoot 1000+ and not sure if the weatherby is up to the task if it is great saves me money. If not should I switch now or later
Thanks

Are you already proficient at 500 or 600 yards?? Because 1,000 is another ball game. Neither of your choices are up to standard for shooting at 1,000 yards. You need to be looking at a custom rig if 1,000 is your game.

I belong to a 1,000 yard club. I am pretty fortunate. Our range is about a 5 minute drive for me. So I shoot there alot. I do not see any stock Remington or Wbys. on the bench of the serious shooters. And for the most part that even includes the actions. Some Remington factory actions, but not very many. Tom.

for that long distance stuff.....one will be best served with an inclined scope base of some type.....i don't think i've ever seen one for a weatherby.....

dump it and get in the herd.....

Easy now. You dont have to have a "custom" gun to shoot 1000 yards. This guy is looking for a hunting/long range gun. I have a bone stock Remington 5r in 300wm and I would not think twice about shooting it next to custom guns. Shooting 208 a maxs it shoots 3/4 moa on a bad day. I have a friend with a stock 700 sps that shoots even better.

Go Remington and dont think twice.

I am just starting the long range stuff so I will start short and go longer as I get better I an also starting to reload as well. I had a nightforce rep tell my I could use a rem long action base on the wby but I have not tried that yet.

kdxman you have a good start to this long range thing, your rifle will do fine given the driver. As long as you just want it for informal shooting/hunting. In fact if you can get it to consistenly group 3/4moa or better then it will actually make shooting at 1000yds easier than the 300wm due to its better ballistics. just make sure you don't mind the repeated recoil of the weatherby. your best investment would be quality glass, and my advice is spend as much as you can afford on glass, you can transfer it to whatever rifle you end up with. Good triggers and good glass make a world of difference.

I see you are a washington guy as well so feel free to pm with any questions you might have. If you look in the SHWW in the members link up section you will find local guys you can shoot with at long range.

hope this helps.