• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weighed some Wolf Match Target .22 ammo

Alanjtc73n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
Redmond, WA
So it turns out my 10/22 with a Whistle Pig barrel really seems to like Wolf Match Target (I'm too cheap for Match Extra). Groups out to 100 yards were within an inch and an odd flyer or two. In my neurotic obsession to polish a turd, I decided to go with the free approach to increase consistency. I know, I know...if I want more accuracy, get a target rifle. Instead of doing something that would benefit society, I decided to take a couple hours to open a brick of Wolf Target Match and weigh each round. Here's what I got:

51.3 gr - 8 rounds
51.4 gr - 12 rounds
51.5 gr - 16 rounds
51.6 gr - 24 rounds
51.7 gr - 38 rounds
51.8 gr - 44 rounds
51.9 gr - 88 rounds
52.0 gr - 91 rounds
52.1 gr - 79 rounds
52.2 gr - 32 rounds
52.3 gr - 18 rounds
52.4 gr - 14 rounds
52.5 gr - 12 rounds

52.6 - 53.0 gr - 24 rounds (threw them in a pile together)

Now that I've wasted my time thoroughly, I'll try these out tomorrow if the weather holds. That way I can justify to my wife why I sat on the couch and weighed ammo instead of cleaning up after the cat as she dragged a half vomited hairball around the house.

I am such a lazy bastard.

Re: Weighed some Wolf Match Target .22 ammo

Your service to society is noted and honored
smile.gif

Btw its not such an unimportant measurement since wolf/SK/Lapua are all made in the same factory in Germany and with SK Magazine(Lapua Standard) its the same story, you get 5-8 excellent shots and then one missing the barn. I'm eager to read you findings...

If the only choices were weighing ammo versus "cleaning up after the cat as she dragged a half vomited hairball around the house", then you made the right decision.....LOL

I'd like to see the results when you shoot them.

thanks, Keith

I've weighed ammo for over 25 years and have had great results. I usually do all of my weighing during the winter months when I can't get out and shoot up what I've weighed.
I stared weighing ammo during the time I was shooting handgun silhouettes and couldn't afford the better grades of ammo to shoot with. You dhould be able to eliminate the flyers for the most part. The one thing to remember is to buy several bricks or even a case so when you get through weighing you will have alot of the same weight.
I've also sorted the rim thickness but I can't say that this helps at all.
Also at my age now and the health problems that I have I just shoot what I buy without doing anything to the ammo. I just bought a better grade of rifle (Anschutz) with a barrel tuner and light trigger and go to the range and shoot.
Regards
larryj

thank weighing ammo is a pain in the ass!!!! but better than hairballs!!!
what were the results?
Bill

I to would be interested in seeing your results. I might start weighing my ammo, who knows?

using a digital, that's about what i got also. sk match (which supossed to be the same as match extra) weighs between 51.0 and 52 with most shells coming in between 51.5 and 51.9.

and of course, there will be the debate of it being a waste of time, but with the cheaper stuff you can see the range is much greater, and so is the groups. my experience is that weighing them works: rem. subsonics had a group so wide i couldn't sight in for 100 yards. after weighing and lotting them, they are grouping better about 4.5". putting some lube on the pill is making them group around 2.5"

I thought about this weighing of ammo pretty much all day at work, and in my humble opinion I feel it makes good sense as you want the most consistency from shot to shot.

When thinking about this I also wondered if this is the reason "match" ammo is so expensive. Are you buying consistency from shot to shot because all rounds were weighed with a certain acceptable measurement of one another that will provide consistant accuracy, then simply packaged together in groups?

Perhaps that is not all there is to it, but it's a start. And if it yeilds acceptable results, then why not weigh them?

i'm pretty sure (in theory as i dont have a guage to do it)that the rim thickness thing has creedence also. if have different rim thicknesses, i imagine that would give you different oal lengths. you don't want to have different oal on centerfires, so i imagine rim thickness plays a part.

so between weighing, lubing, and measuring rimthickness i would have to say that would be a heck of alot more consistancy in cheaper ammo overall. you'd just have to weigh the time spent to cost factor to see if you'd just be better off buying match grade.

i am sold on weighing and lubing.

So I managed to go to the range today in between the looming clouds. Wind was hit and miss and thus my shots were hit and miss. I'm betting I could have more consistent results if the weather wasn't acting up. Without further ado - the results in 5 shot groups:

So these were the best I could come up with. I'm fighting some weird cold and I hacked up something this morning that my cat would be proud of.

Bottom left were Wolf Match Target that weighed 51.9 grains and were fed manually into the chamber. Pretty decent I think considering the conditions. Some other targets looked similar. Had I been a better shot, I truly believe they would be much tighter.

Middle bottom were Wolf Match Target that weighed 51.9 grains fed through a factory 10 round mag. This bad grouping was all my fault. I doubt mag feeding would open up the groups like that. So this grouping was a wasted effort.

Bottom right were Wolf Match Target randomly selected from the brick. They were fed through the factory mag. Decent three shot group with a couple flyers.

Upper right were Wolf Match Target random, single fed. A good couple shots and then a flyer.

So what did I learn.
1. Sinus pressure can cause the reticle and target to blur.
2. There seem to be less flyers with weighed ammo (larryj - I concur.)
3. A heavy stock trigger can cause groups to string out.
4. Not sure if there is a difference between manual feed or mag feed.
5. I only used 51.9 gr for this test. Maybe the Whistle Pig barrel will prefer a different weight?...

Overall I don't think this test is all that conclusive. First, I'd need a more consistent shooter. Then I'd need better weather. After all that, multiple weights should be used. It's obvious this ammo is capable of sub-MOA as seen in the upper left group without the flyers. Just going to have to find out which weight those were.

The rifle is a Ruger 10/22 with a Whistle Pig 20" barrel. The stock has been widened for the .920 barrel and a quick bed job that included the first inch of the barrel. Everything else on the rifle is stock.

I think there is some merit to weighing the ammo. I'll probably save the rest of the stuff I weighed for a target rifle that I don't have yet.

Although I have a custom 10/22 I don't shoot it anymore because mine wouldn't shoot with the bolt guns at my club matches. You will find that if you want smaller groups with the ammo you are using you will have to go to some kind of bolt gun (40x, Anschutz, Win 52's or a custom action and barrel)
I now shoot a Anschutz 1907(54 action)that I can shoot pretty good. The 10/22's are great guns but a person can spend enough trying to get one to shoot that you can buy a great bolt gun.
MHO
larryj

First,thanks for the info. I love messing with this kind of stuff. Some of my shooting buddies think I like experimenting and messing with data and spreadsheets more than shooting.
In your test, you tried to prove/disprove shooting the rounds of near equal weight would produce good/better results than random unsegregated rounds. I would suggest taking the 20 lightest rounds, and your 24 heaviest rounds and shooting (6) six-shot groups with three heavy and three light rounds. Try to prove/disprove the weight difference significantly affects group size. Then use the remaining high & low weight rounds either as an 8-shot group, or use one each as the fifth shot in a set of groups where the first four are the matched mean weight cartridges. Try to prove/disprove the un-matched weight cartridge is an out-lying impact from the group.
Just my $0.02 input, would be interested to see what you come up with no matter how you get your data.

Hey Top, what kind of lube are you using?
What kinds have you tried?

I like your idea El Kabong. Your testing method has merit. Only problem might be my rifle. I've still got a whole bunch of the stuff weighed out. As soon as I pick up a decent bolt action, I'll try it again with your method.

Or when I get bored enough this weekend, I'll try it with the ruger.