• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well I am sooooo glad this isn't in schools anymore.......

winniedonkey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Orlando
I just came across this the other day. There is a link to the standards in the article. Fucking impressive. Anybody grow up with anything like this?

Not so much different than what we had in the 60’s. Heck, football was easier than PE. I like to run and would have loved track, but as I aged, my speed did not age with me.

Still, we worked out butts off when we were in PE. Running half miles in PE in jr. High. I figured if I had to run this much, I’ll just ask the coach if I could go out for track. He said, come on out. Had a blast. The coach even complimented my work ethics to my father. (Me, work ethic??).

As a winner of multiple President Physical Fitness Awards, I saw the decline of PE in the 70's. It amazed me how flabby kids were back then, I can only imagine what they are like today in public schools. In 10th grade, I won 3 of these awards on the same day, when 99% of the class could do no more than half of the prescribed reps of just 1 test.

All my kids were multi-sport players but they all went to private schools, so PE was actually a real class, not like in the public school system.

I'm worried beyond belief if we ever have to fight a war where the draft is implemented. Heaven help us.

Last edited:
The school I went to was a dumping ground. It was pre-prison for the local scumbags and savages in Orlando. If you dared dress for gym class one of the primates would be in the locker room stealing your clothes. Taking a shower was risking prison rape. On gym days you just wore you PT gear to school and kept lunch money in your sock.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: deersniper and Fig
Look at the picture from the story, what do you notice?

sierra78.jpeg

Hint: Every kid in the picture is physically fit. Not a fat kid to be seen.
Now, go outside in the morning and look at the kids waiting for the school bus. A bunch of roly-poly fat turds with a i-phone in their hands.
PE was as much discipline than it was physical fitness. I think they should bring it back. One thing kids don't have thee days is discipline.

Mr Gurney changed my life. He gave me discipline that I never had. He gave me grit that I never had. He gave me respect that I never had. He changed my life.

The school I went to was a dumping ground. It was pre-prison for the local scumbags and savages in Orlando. If you dared dress for gym class one of the primates would be in the locker room stealing your clothes. Taking a shower was risking prison rape. On gym days you just wore you PT gear to school and kept lunch money in your sock.

I live outside Orlando now, where is this awesome school you speak of? Sounds amazing.

As a winner of multiple President Physical Fitness Awards, I saw the decline of PE in the 70's. It amazed me how flabby kids were back then, I can only imagine what they are like today in public schools. In 10th grade, I won 3 of these awards on the same day, when 99% of the class could do no more than half of the prescribed reps of just 1 test.

All my kids were multi-sport players but they all went to private schools, so PE was actually a real class, not like in the public school system.

I'm worried beyond belief if we ever have to fight a war where the draft is implemented. Heaven help us.

When you have some time could you explain some of the PT you or your kids did? Also if there were testing or standards you were required to meet.

I am working on my Kinesiology degree and will be starting some volunteer work soon as a personal trainer/coach/mentor.

Exercise is/was a big part of my kids lives and it wasn't hard to get them interested in the hard work. As for a lot of others I have seen.....it's like they are a whole other species. I just don't understand it.

Last year’s target of 61,200 new Army enlistees, for instance, was 20% lower than in 2018, when the Army failed to meet its goal.

Recruiting isn’t easy. At least 70% of Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible for military service due to obesity, mental-health issues, past drug use, criminal records or lack of a high school degree.
I wonder if obesity is the number one factor.

sierra78.jpeg

Now, go outside in the morning and look at the kids waiting for the school bus. A bunch of roly-poly fat turds with a i-phone in their hands.
PE was as much discipline than it was physical fitness. I think they should bring it back. One thing kids don't have thee days is discipline.

Hashtag: when fat shaming worked and was encouraged...😂

I wonder if obesity is the number one factor.
Yes - and if recruiter can get them to meet minimum standard to enlist, and if they complete Basic-AIT or whatever called today - probably will not complete initial enlistment without discharge for height-weight/APFT failure. They then get VA benefits, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: NoDopes
I don't recall reps or distances, but we had most if not all of those, except the swim. No pool, but every kid I knew swam in the river, a pond or the Atlantic. At summer camp, you had to swim from the shore to the floating dock (about 100 yards round trip) to be allowed past the cordoned off "kiddie" section of the lake.

The peg board was my nemesis until about the eighth grade.

I will show my age with this post. Way back in time when I was in Junior high school my PE teacher was Mr. Joe Black. It was the same Joe Black that was the pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodger’s. To say the least he was an imposing figure to a 7th grader.

Every Wednesday was ‘Happy Hour’ when all 7th grade boys would have the pleasure of 1 hour of very rigorous calisthenics. The pull up bar hanging on the gym wall was liberally used too. If your partisan was not enthusiastic enough you received a very personal invitation to return after school to demonstrate that you really liked ‘Happy Hour’.

Numerous times male students would have ‘disagreements’. When Mr. Black heard of this he would happily mediate the situation. At the beginning of ’Happy Hour’ the wrestling mats would get rolled out, out would come the 16 ounce gloves, and 3 one minute rounds would resolve the situation. Oh, you best be punching the entire time in each round or you would receive a special invitation to work out after school.

Maxwell

Reactions: winniedonkey
When you have some time could you explain some of the PT you or your kids did? Also if there were testing or standards you were required to meet.

I am working on my Kinesiology degree and will be starting some volunteer work soon as a personal trainer/coach/mentor.

Exercise is/was a big part of my kids lives and it wasn't hard to get them interested in the hard work. As for a lot of others I have seen.....it's like they are a whole other species. I just don't understand it.

As a child, I was fortunate to live near a large park with baseball fields, basketball courts and a large group of kids living in the area. We were always outside doing something in the park. I can remember playing football games in snow as deep as 6-7 inches deep. It was never too cold or too hot, it was never too dry nor too wet. We had what would be considered today as a Rec Council, but in reality it was just parents wanting their kids to be active and fit.

As for my children, they were involved in all school activities. We also were Blessed to live in a community that had a Beach Club. So from the middle of May to the first week in October, they swam. Recreational swimming was taught to kids as early as 4 years old. More techniques were taught for anyone not defendant on their abilities. All my kids played sports for Rec Leagues from 5 until they entered high school and then they tried out for different sports for their school. Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Football, Rugby, Wrestling and Field Hockey were the sports my kids played from the age of 5 up until college.

As a head coach or assistant coach, I made sure cardiovascular training was key. Sometime as much as the techniques of that particular sport. We won many games because we had more wind than the other team. If we couldn't beat you with our skills, many times we beat you because we were stronger towards the end of the game.

I took over a Rec Council lacrosse program when it was lacking leadership. We took a loan out from the Council and bought new equipment with the intention of paying back the loan in 5 years. We ended up repaying the loan in 2 years because we had such a great influx of kids wanting to play. We pulled kids from other Rec Councils because of our technique of coaching. I enlisted the help of High School players to help coach, I found ex college players who wanted to give back to their communities. We had Hopkins, University of Maryland and Loyola players come to give clinics. Some stayed as mentors to the kids. I crated Adaptive leagues for those unable to play due to their physical restrictions. I started the first Lacrosse program for 3-5 year olds. Those kids could teach the meaning of hustle. I found that bribing them with just a simple treat would motivate them beyond belief.

Everyone of those kids (with a few exceptions) tried to be the best player and they all knew that if they wanted to play, they had to be there during the last 2 minutes of the game.

If you can get the parents out of the equation, Rec Ball would be so much better. Every dad and even a few moms think they know how to coach. They don't realize there's so much brain matter used other than how to swing the bat, or throw the ball or take the shot.

I've gone way beyond your question but I think it's important to understand it's not about riding the kids, but getting the kids to realize you're there to help them become bigger, stronger faster for their own good. Physical fitness is so important for them and it doesn't stop after they walk off the field for the last time.

Reactions: archangel485

sierra78.jpeg

Soupersize man.

Our PE teacher was a Korean War Marine vet. It wasnt as tough as thaat one but he worked our ass's.

I just came across this the other day. There is a link to the standards in the article. Fucking impressive. Anybody grow up with anything like this?

We owe wo much to JFK. We need a visionary like him today. This world would be a much different place today if the monster hadnt offed him...but thats why it did.

I live outside Orlando now, where is this awesome school you speak of? Sounds amazing.

ORHS or in ebonics it was called Ooooooak Riiiiiiiiii. It had a record for being a "F" rated school for decades. Apparently less than 5% whities go there anymore.

They used to award a "Certificate of Attendance" for students who attended semi-regularly and reached 21 before learning to read. And they gave you a "E" for effort instead of an "F" for failure.

I watched that video a while ago, even before all the Covid craziness and sleepy Joe. A merit based system that encouraged people to strive for the best, no matter what. In today's world there would be lawsuits flying all over the place at the mere mention of a program like that.

We had this in the 60's where I grew up. We worked at it every day and tested regularly, and you were given your "percentile" for each measured activity.

We also learned basic facing movements, marching and drill in PE class.

Reactions: Maggot
Not being retarded, and not being a land hippo will be superpowers within 15 years.

Too late for kids now, best you can do is make sure your own kids (if you have them) and any nieces/nephews take hygiene and physical fitness seriously. All the "green" school lunches won't make your pudgy kit any healthier contrary to what reptilian politicians who have personal chefs and personal trainers may think.

For all the talk from those same reptiles about "gun violence" and what not - heart disease, obesity, and various mental health issues still stack far more bodies than anything else.

It's easier to get worked up about the "good old days" - reflection is for mirrors, don't get yourself all twisted up about that shit. We stepped off the X long ago.

Our PE teachers were always a coach of some sport here in podunk, and they ran our asses off, rope climbs, pullups, basketball, etc. The girls basketball coach was one of them, and I've heard many stories about people running till they had to puke, so he'd run beside them with a garbage can so they could puke while running.

As a child, I was fortunate to live near a large park with baseball fields, basketball courts and a large group of kids living in the area. We were always outside doing something in the park. I can remember playing football games in snow as deep as 6-7 inches deep. It was never too cold or too hot, it was never too dry nor too wet. We had what would be considered today as a Rec Council, but in reality it was just parents wanting their kids to be active and fit.

As for my children, they were involved in all school activities. We also were Blessed to live in a community that had a Beach Club. So from the middle of May to the first week in October, they swam. Recreational swimming was taught to kids as early as 4 years old. More techniques were taught for anyone not defendant on their abilities. All my kids played sports for Rec Leagues from 5 until they entered high school and then they tried out for different sports for their school. Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Football, Rugby, Wrestling and Field Hockey were the sports my kids played from the age of 5 up until college.

As a head coach or assistant coach, I made sure cardiovascular training was key. Sometime as much as the techniques of that particular sport. We won many games because we had more wind than the other team. If we couldn't beat you with our skills, many times we beat you because we were stronger towards the end of the game.

I took over a Rec Council lacrosse program when it was lacking leadership. We took a loan out from the Council and bought new equipment with the intention of paying back the loan in 5 years. We ended up repaying the loan in 2 years because we had such a great influx of kids wanting to play. We pulled kids from other Rec Councils because of our technique of coaching. I enlisted the help of High School players to help coach, I found ex college players who wanted to give back to their communities. We had Hopkins, University of Maryland and Loyola players come to give clinics. Some stayed as mentors to the kids. I crated Adaptive leagues for those unable to play due to their physical restrictions. I started the first Lacrosse program for 3-5 year olds. Those kids could teach the meaning of hustle. I found that bribing them with just a simple treat would motivate them beyond belief.

Everyone of those kids (with a few exceptions) tried to be the best player and they all knew that if they wanted to play, they had to be there during the last 2 minutes of the game.

If you can get the parents out of the equation, Rec Ball would be so much better. Every dad and even a few moms think they know how to coach. They don't realize there's so much brain matter used other than how to swing the bat, or throw the ball or take the shot.

I've gone way beyond your question but I think it's important to understand it's not about riding the kids, but getting the kids to realize you're there to help them become bigger, stronger faster for their own good. Physical fitness is so important for them and it doesn't stop after they walk off the field for the last time.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you made a huge impact on kids lives and made them much better than they could have been without your impact. Good shit in my book!
ORHS or in ebonics it was called Ooooooak Riiiiiiiiii. It had a record for being a "F" rated school for decades. Apparently less than 5% whities go there anymore.

They used to award a "Certificate of Attendance" for students who attended semi-regularly and reached 21 before learning to read. And they gave you a "E" for effort instead of an "F" for failure.

Sounds like a happy, healthy environment. I take it most went on to become STEM employees at our local aerospace/defense companies. Glad you survived that mess.

We owe wo much to JFK. We need a visionary like him today. This world would be a much different place today if the monster hadnt offed him...but thats why it did.
Now we clearly see why he was assassinated.

Reactions: Maggot
Thank you for your time and knowledge. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you made a huge impact on kids lives and made them much better than they could have been without your impact. Good shit in my book!

Sounds like a happy, healthy environment. I take it most went on to become STEM employees at our local aerospace/defense companies. Glad you survived that mess.

One of them went on to become a pilot for Osama Bin Laden, no shit. This guy's sister had a huge crush on one of my friends so we knew him. We had a couple of murderers from my neighborhood. We had one member of my class become a very accomplished lawyer, I used to sit across from her in Shakespeare class and get far too distracted to care about Desdemona's problems, hahaha. The guys I hung out with did pretty well. One of my best buddies is an engineer for NASA, three of us had careers in the various branches of the military, one was a cameraman for the local TV news and another a general contractor.

If you wanted an education, you had to work at it because no guidance counselor or administrator cared and most of them wouldn't be bothered to help. So it was and probably still is a shitty school that turns out a large number of poorly educated students that go straight to the welfare rolls.

As the class failures got locked up over the first decade after graduation, my Dad would send me the news clippings from the paper with a few sentences of family news and this question, "Did you know this asshole?" Hahahaha.