• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Well... I did it. Retirement.

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
I sent in my retirement papers yesterday... effective July 1st. It was a much harder decision to make then I thought it would be.

33 years in emergency services, 30 in law enforcement in three agencies (worked every rank and assignment up to Chief Deputy in the first and was Chief of Police in the other two - municiple and State) and simultaniously about 25 years as a certified Instructor and Instructor Trainer in various law enforcement subjects for the Wisconsin VTAE System which conducts nearly all LEO training in our State.

I've been blessed with great mentors, fine partners, fellow officers, good bosses and an understanding <span style="text-decoration: underline">second</span> wife.
smile.gif

I wouldn't change a thing. I've been shot at, shot, injured, spit at, sworn at, shit on and threatened... and loved nearly every minute of it. I've been able to save lives on medical calls, prevent suicidal subjects from making that final mistake, been able to bring those ass clowns richly deserving of prison or a good ass-kicking to justice (or at least what we call it) and been able to console and comfort the dying and help bring closure to grieving families. I've buried a partner killed on duty 2 blocks from my house on a simple vandalism complaint and... yes I have had to use force (deadly as well) more then once, but that's another story.

I remember every tragic accident and the result of violent crimes. I remember any number of cases that, if I think about them, still bring private tears to my eyes. I remember working with guys, and being one of those whose psychological defense mechanism created a twisted, funny situation even in the most horrible body recovery or death scene. I've been responsible for providing protective services for tribal spearfishing, KKK rallys, NWACP events, NAZI rallys, various anti-abortionists, abortion supporters and Presidential visits. You name it... it ain't about what you think... it's you job. It's the principle, I never cared WTF you were... you all got your rights protected. That's how it should be in this Country. Most importantly, when they were involved in controversy, when the chips were down, when they did what they thought was right at the time... I've always supported my officers.

I still will be involved in training officers and others... got some part time work as well in an area not even remotely related to what my training is. Nothing unusual here I guess, pretty much the story of hundreds of good coppers. Please excuse my rambling while I try to sort this all out.

Re: Well... I did it. Retirement.

Thank you for your long and faithful service, and please accept my best wishes that you have a long and joyful retirement, which you have earned.

Salud!

Great job, and thanks for the service.

I've got 35 years and counting....

Thanks guys.

I think one of the best compliments I ever received was after a trial where a guy I had investigated and arrested, a career criminal, was sentenced to prison... the defendant came over and said, "You know you're a real MF'er... but you're a good cop."

I guess that's professional respect
laugh.gif

Well deserved retirement. Enjoy

Thanks for your service, and enjoy retirement!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for your long and faithful service, and please accept my best wishes that you have a long and joyful retirement, which you have earned.

Salud!
</div></div>

Big +1!!!!

Enjoy retirement, you have earned it. I just broke the less-than-10-years-left barrier and hope to be in good shape when that day comes.

Thanks for your service brother. You can retire happy knowing that you had a meaningful, successful career, dealing with shit that the general public doesn't ever see or think about.

I myself have just started down that road 2 years ago and I hope I can do the same.

Kudos to you. Now find something to keep you busy! I know it's gotta be a difficult transition back to the civilian side, but I'm sure you've been through worse.

Retirement is just one step on the journey, now you take your retirement check, and you also can become a "Consultant" and start your NEW career, one that will be fun, at your hours, when YOU want to work.

Or write a book, or gofishing, have grandkids....

Enjoy!!

WASP if I understand correctly you still have 32 years to go?
smile.gif
LOL

Congrats on your retirement, I hope you enjoy every heavily earned second of it

I would like to join the others in wishing you a happy retirement.You have earned it!I know that you have seen and done things that most of us will never expierence,THANK YOU,for a job well done. Lightman

Thank you for your years of public service.

When I worked for the local ambulance service, I was always OK on the scene. But I have cried after the shift on the way home. Mostly for kids.

Congratulations on making it to the finish line in one piece. Enjoy what you've earned and keep yourself busy (sound like you're on that already).

I'm in my 12th year now, only twenty more to go....

I retired about a month and a half ago, and got so freakin' bored that I ran out 4 1/2 days later and got a job.

Congrats! Just be sure and stave off the boredom!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Retirement is just one step on the journey, now you take your retirement check, and you also can become a "Consultant" and start your NEW career, one that will be fun, at your hours, when YOU want to work.

Or write a book, or gofishing, have grandkids....

Enjoy!!

WASP if I understand correctly you still have 32 years to go?
smile.gif
LOL
</div></div>

I think ya got that backwards...it's 23, I hope....

Being from Waushara county I would like to personally thank you for you service! I am friends with our current sherrif and our previous one and I would never hesitate to thank an officer of our county.

What's that line from the song <span style="font-style: italic">Closing Time</span>: "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

So, it's not an end, it's a beginning.

I know many officers who would be jealous as hell. Congrats!

Congrats on the retirement you have sure earned it. I know being in Law Enforcement has been the greatest honor of my life and i'm sure it has been the same for you. Stay safe,stay sharp and remember that just because your retired you will always be a SheepDog at heart.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys... I know whenever I hear a siren I'll always instinctively want to go.

For me that may prove the hardest part to deal with. Along with never sitting with my back to a doorway or window, never standing in front of a door, always wanting "my space" .... and so on.
smile.gif

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Along with never sitting with my back to a doorway or window, never standing in front of a door, always wanting "my space" .... and so on.</div></div>

Those practices are just as prudent for a civilian as for an L.E. officer. When we take a table in a restaurant, my wife knows not to take the seat facing the door.