• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well that was painful (Primers on GunBroker)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm blessed to have more money than common sense ... and got tired of waiting to get my new reloading room up to full-speed. Just got fully stocked in CCI-200's and 250's on GunBroker at extortion-level prices, but figured I'd better get them while I can, even at 5x pricing. The reloading room is (painfully) back in business. My wish for 2021 is to have the reloading materials supply chain return to some semblance of normalcy ... but given current geo-political and socio-economic progressions, I realize that's more "optimism" than it is "pragmatism".

I kinda don't get why these reloading supply companies aren't gearing up to take advantage of this situation and keeping up with demand. But I also understand that (a) it takes months and even years to spin-up new production capacity, and (b) that spin-up entails huge risk if there's a market shift back to reduced demand.

It just sucks, and I'm pissed. End of rant.

Watching what people are willingly paying for shit right now makes me question the collective intelligence of those around me.

Then I remember the Tommy Lee Jones quote from men in black. “A person is smart. People are dumb.”

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    Watching what people are willingly paying for shit right now makes me question the collective intelligence of those around me.

Then I remember the Tommy Lee Jones quote from men in black. “A person is smart. People are dumb.”
    I always remember something a prior business mentor drilled into my head many years ago.

"It's not a 'problem' if you can solve it with 'money'. It's a 'budgeting exercise' within which you identify 'priorities'."

There are only 4 companies that produce primers, if I remember correctly.
    Why would any gun or bullet manufacturer invest capital in more production with the incoming administration?

There are only 4 companies that produce primers, if I remember correctly.
    Why would any gun or bullet manufacturer invest capital in more production with the incoming administration?
    4 in the USA?

I believe that is correct. Will look and see if I can find the article

yep, that’s correct:

They (the manufacturers) are making much more $ selling loaded ammunition to consumers and are operating at max capacity I believe.

As for new administration, I think not.

Kinda interesting as to how many sales there were before they got scarce.
    sportsman’s had 215m’s and #450’s at an awesome price for quite a while.

LGS had a few pistol primers show up before Christmas, however haven't had small rifle in 6 months.

I believe that is correct. Will look and see if I can find the article

yep, that’s correct:

And Remington sold off their ammo/primer manufacturing to the guys that own CCI

I’ve been buying more loaded ammunition simply because of the primer issue.
    I did get lucky and am ok on 450’s for a while but the large rifle magnums have been unobtainable. All those guns got wrapped in bags and set back in the safe for now.

Who would have ever believed, the primer being more expensive than the bullet.
    than the BULLET??? they're more expensive (at least on gunbroker) than the actual ROUNDS were just a year ago.

Who would have ever believed, the primer being more expensive than the bullet.

I figured it would come to this one day. I have been reloading since 2006 after I ETSed, and have been through quite a few panics. I felt this one was different for some reason, and you can make bullets, black powder, and use cases multiple times. Primers were the biggie.

I made it a habit to pick up at least a brick everytime I was in Wal-Mart (when they sold primers), or any sporting goods store. I did the same with bricks of 22.

I'm blessed to have more money than common sense ... and got tired of waiting to get my new reloading room up to full-speed. Just got fully stocked in CCI-200's and 250's on GunBroker at extortion-level prices, but figured I'd better get them while I can, even at 5x pricing. The reloading room is (painfully) back in business. My wish for 2021 is to have the reloading materials supply chain return to some semblance of normalcy ... but given current geo-political and socio-economic progressions, I realize that's more "optimism" than it is "pragmatism".

I kinda don't get why these reloading supply companies aren't gearing up to take advantage of this situation and keeping up with demand. But I also understand that (a) it takes months and even years to spin-up new production capacity, and (b) that spin-up entails huge risk if there's a market shift back to reduced demand.

It just sucks, and I'm pissed. End of rant.
    I can feel your ass hurting all the way over here, but hey, ridiculous prices give those with none an opportunity to get some when the rest of us scoff at those prices.

Reactions: Sierra770
    I bit the bullet and bought 2000 rounds of CCI 250's on gunbroker. Got a nice year end bonus, figured what the hell. Our local sportsman's warehouse recently got in 20 cases of primers. No idea if its true, but heard the store's employee's bought them. Not a one hit the shelves...

Sportsman’s had primer sales every damn week for a while. I bought all they had.
    Me too. They didn’t start limiting to 1000 per day until a few months ago...which they rarely have any now anyway.

Ammo manufacturing companies know that this demand is temporary and refuse to invest in building more manufacturing capacity (aside from the bankruptcy sales of Remington properties). They've seen this before and nothing is different this time.

Biden's admin is predicted to bring peace as the violent will be placated and those who are disappointed about the incoming admin won't do anything.

Reactions: Sierra770
    Me and a buddy got a brick each of Fed 210s 29.99 at sportsmans in Williston, Also had 9mm 15.99, 6.5 creed 143 eldx for 41.99, Pry had 12-15 powders in stock as well, Lots of GD 9mm and .40 PD ammo. this was last Monday.

Everything is getting produced and sent out to stores, Pry not in the volumes as normal, Everything is getting snatched up pretty fast. Its not going to let up anytime soon.

Their is NO shortage of ammo, or reloading stuff around. Its just not for sale in stores.

I just saw a bid for $831 for 5000 CCI 400 and another for over $700 on GB. This is insane.

That's an odd statement. If it's not in short supply and not for sale in stores .... where exactly do you believe it's hiding?

Peoples houses, garages, closets ext. Just like TP. some people were down to 2 rolls, while their neighbor had 3 costco cases stashed. I am always reading about all the people who have a huge stash of this or that, and that they started stock piling stuff 12 months ago because they knew this was going to happen. How many rounds of ammo do you think are in peoples homes right now? I cannot even begin to imagine the number myself.

I just saw a bid for $831 for 5000 CCI 400 and another for over $700 on GB. This is insane.

Got pics of two auctions last week one was 5000 CCI SR for 1325.00 had 28 bids, and the other was 1000 Fed GM210 with 34 bids, sold for 651.00. NUTZ!!!

Got pics of two auctions last week one was 5000 CCI SR for 1325.00 had 28 bids, and the other was 1000 Fed GM210 with 34 bids, sold for 651.00. NUTZ!!!

with prices like these how long until hazmat shipments start “going missing”?

• Angry
    Reactions: MPD142
    Stopped into Bass Pro yesterday after meeting a member on another forum and they had 1500 CCI 450 for $5 per 100. I bought 1k Fed 205M for $100. Last weeks score.
    0BABAA1C-FC39-447C-9C64-BF786A5494D9.jpeg
    4EC824C2-66EE-4985-AA63-1BD09E29AC11.jpeg
    A7B76484-8EC4-4218-8AC0-2C027A6BEB9E.jpeg

Reactions: Jonathan Swift