• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well, this is going to be a fun project....

Loaded up some dummy's for the final feeding to get tested. These are 450 Gr. .470 Diameter soft points. I also have some 600 Gr. solids.

For comparison:

........................... .30-06. .......................... .470 Capstick. ................. .416 Taylor ............ .470 Capstick. ..... .458 Win. Mag. ..... .470 Capstick.

1615841051867.png

Cheers,

Sirhr

Loaded up some dummy's for the final feeding to get tested. These are 450 Gr. .470 Diameter soft points. I also have some 600 Gr. solids.

For comparison:

........................... .30-06. .......................... .470 Capstick. ................. .416 Taylor ............ .470 Capstick. ..... .458 Win. Mag. ..... .470 Capstick.

View attachment 7582212

Cheers,

Sirhr

Whoof... No thanks.

Shot a .470 Nitro once and that was enough. Those look reminiscent of that.

I also have some 600 Gr. solids.
My right eye almost flinches at the mere thought of shooting a 600 grain bullet out of a relatively light bolt Mauser action rifle...but then again I don't plan on hunting any dangerous game in Africa either.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I wanted to laugh at that video. Some guy with more money than brains wants to be a tough guy and the prey kicks his ass. What in the fuck were they doing with a puppy along on that hunt?
Right? Notice that the guide fires at the same time as the client hunter? WTF is with that? I don't want a guide shooting simultaneous to me? Especially not next to my head. A puppy? A fat wife in safari gear with a HandiCam? What? What professional hunter would allow this sort of thing?

How about this one?

Guy has a $20K double rifle. More ammo than Pancho Villa. He'es holding his re-loads like he'es trying to be Selous himself. At most you need to go out with 10 rounds. Not a kidney belt loaded full. And, again, the guide fires before the guy even gets a second round off of his double rifle. Which should be instantaneous! Fire, recover, fire. If the bull charged during the reload... then guide can fire. But WTF.

Clown shows...

Sirhr

PS. Some ballsy shooting by the PH in that first video... easy to shoot through the buff and blow your client to fragments. Wonder how long the dude was in an African hospital? And if he scratched his double rifle.

This one is scary too! Might explain why the guide didn't waste any time if the client wasn't going to shoot him twice:

I just realized that in your first video, it was the guide not the client that was getting gored by the buffalo.

Last edited:
I just realized that in your first video, it was the guide not the client that was getting gored by the buffalo.

That was my first impression too... that's why they make the big bucks! Usually they just throw the gun bearer in front of them... ;-)

Those critters are not to be trifled with. You don't hesitate and you follow-up shoot even when they're down. Then you approach on the side and put another couple in it. And all the while, you watch for 2 or three more from a herd of bachelor makes hiding in the same thorn trees who might decide to trample the crap out of you because you were mean to their buddy Harry!

None of this stuff is a game for Instagram videos. You screw up, you die. Rightly so.

Sirhr

• Haha
That was my first impression too... that's why they make the big bucks! Usually they just throw the gun bearer in front of them... ;-)

Those critters are not to be trifled with. You don't hesitate and you follow-up shoot even when they're down. Then you approach on the side and put another couple in it. And all the while, you watch for 2 or three more from a herd of bachelor makes hiding in the same thorn trees who might decide to trample the crap out of you because you were mean to their buddy Harry!

None of this stuff is a game for Instagram videos. You screw up, you die. Rightly so.

Sirhr
I find it interesting that none of the guides, or hunters for that matter, are carrying any kind of magnum, let alone, handguns. Just not popular I guess. Up in Alaska, you would be hard pressed to NOT see a magnum handgun on a guides person. Or anybody that's just 'out there' doing what they do in the wild.

I find it interesting that none of the guides, or hunters for that matter, are carrying any kind of magnum, let alone, handguns. Just not popular I guess. Up in Alaska, you would be hard pressed to NOT see a magnum handgun on a guides person. Or anybody that's just 'out there' doing what they do in the wild.
Handguns are pretty regulated in Africa. Large rifles, not so much.

I know... Regulations and Africa... doesn't seem like they go hand in hand. But most of the PH's have one rifle. And whether an elephant or shooting the head off a pigeon... that's what they use.

Sirhr

I have a 1914 ERA the smith milled the rear sight ears off, Re-Parked Gray, D&T, cut Barrel to 20 Inch in a Walnut Bishop stock in .303. Its my Hunt rifle for Canada.... and will hit any game with ease 300M. 3-9 Burris scope. .303 Ammo is as common as 30-06.

That moment we've all been waiting for... progress pictures!

I visited NECG today as they had done a wrist repair on a Birmingham Best SxS I bought a few years ago at Tulsa. Stunning gun I bought for nothing. Their repairs made it a stunning 'perfect' gun I bought for nothing!

So back to the Capstick... you will remember that it had a semi-finished stock. No follower. No recoil lug. Big dent in stock. Metal in white (it still is).

Here it is now. Stock reshaped subtly in the style of Rigby. Nicely checkered and recoil pad fitted. LOP fitted right to me. Absolutely comes right up to my cheek and eye. The gunsmith(s) at NECG are amazing!

1622154937375.png

When I first saw the wood, I thought it might be really plain and not very rich. I was wrong. Check out the finish! That's tru-oil applied by a mastr! Hubba hubba.

1622155246200.png

Action open. We have not finished any of the metal yet. But it is going to get rust-blued to be a semi-gloss classic 'english' blue. I don't think I am going to scope it. It's got a great set of rear express sights and a great front sight.

1622155397199.png

The next challenge is cartridges. The ones above are from Roberson, an amazing company. They make oddball brass like this from billet brass and the rounds are amazing. These are a 'bit' big on the OD when the bullets are seated. Part of it, I think, is that the case wall thickness is necessarily fairly robust from the machining (rather than drawing) process. This means that when the cartridges get a slight bulge in the sized case where the bullet is seated, this part of the cartridges is a 'hair' tight on my chamber. So I am going to polish off about .002" from my dummy cases to get a size. If I need to, I can set up a taper attachment and take a thin skim of the rest of them. I only have about 50 cases for this rifle. So modifying 50 is not a big deal. That or I need to find some original Kynoch cases. But they are rarer than rocking horse turds.

Anyway... that's the update. More as things progress. I have no idea what this has cost so far. But the rifle partial-project was dirt cheap. And the finished piece is going to be a gem. So I know it's worth it!

Cheers and happy days!

Sirhr

Very nice..... what about photos of the shotgun???

I'd be a lot happier with that grain through the wrist than grade 5 marble cake or similar - this is one rifle where function HAS to govern form.

Very nice..... what about photos of the shotgun???

I'd be a lot happier with that grain through the wrist than grade 5 marble cake or similar - this is one rifle where function HAS to govern form.
I figured someone would ask.... Still having trouble with the name. I think it's RP Morris, Birmingham. Says "The gun that won the Field Trials" faintly. More later. It's not Moore, I don't think. I'll post a better set of photos for you guys to help with!

1622205638743.png

But look at that rose and scroll... If that was on a Purdey, it would be a $30K gun!

1622205687714.png

Look at the metalwork around the fences! Amazing! That's carved from a single block... Those aren't 'added.' That's a gunsmith with a file.

1622205746401.png

Anyway, I got it for $600 at Tulsa with a cracked stock. Spent $900 getting the stock fixed (invisible repair) and having the whole thing cleaned and tightened. It's light as a feather and perfect balance. No self-opener, but life is not perfect...

Cheers,

Sirhr

I figured someone would ask.... Still having trouble with the name. I think it's RP Morris, Birmingham. Says "The gun that won the Field Trials" faintly. More later. It's not Moore, I don't think. I'll post a better set of photos for you guys to help with!

View attachment 7635186

But look at that rose and scroll... If that was on a Purdey, it would be a $30K gun!

View attachment 7635187

Look at the metalwork around the fences! Amazing! That's carved from a single block... Those aren't 'added.' That's a gunsmith with a file.

View attachment 7635189

Anyway, I got it for $600 at Tulsa with a cracked stock. Spent $900 getting the stock fixed (invisible repair) and having the whole thing cleaned and tightened. It's light as a feather and perfect balance. No self-opener, but life is not perfect...

Cheers,

Sirhr
Here we go...

W.P. Jones, Birmingham.

1622231680010.png

WP JONES, BIRMINGHAM, BLE, 2 1/2", sleeved 28" choked IC/Full. 14 1/4" highly figured wood to unique, original horn butt plate. Art Deco style scalloped action has gone grey with clipped, carved fences with scroll carved top, third fastener and WP Jones inlaid in gold in a long slender top lever. The engraving on the bottom plate and trigger guard is quite soft and buffed overall. Drop checkered side panels with drop points accent the action/stock interface. The action and forend are noticeably diminutive and contribute very little to the weight of the gun. Very wieldy at 6lbs 2oz - the unique action and top drawer figure in the wood make this a fine specimen.

1622231729411.png

William P. Jones, was at 25 Whittall Street, Birmingham from 1891-1935. He was the son of William Jones, Gun & Riflemaker, 86 Litchfield Street, Birmingham (d.1828). Ribs say "Winner of Field Trials."

Very cool!

Sirhr

Here we go...

W.P. Jones, Birmingham.

View attachment 7635465
WP JONES, BIRMINGHAM, BLE, 2 1/2", sleeved 28" choked IC/Full. 14 1/4" highly figured wood to unique, original horn butt plate. Art Deco style scalloped action has gone grey with clipped, carved fences with scroll carved top, third fastener and WP Jones inlaid in gold in a long slender top lever. The engraving on the bottom plate and trigger guard is quite soft and buffed overall. Drop checkered side panels with drop points accent the action/stock interface. The action and forend are noticeably diminutive and contribute very little to the weight of the gun. Very wieldy at 6lbs 2oz - the unique action and top drawer figure in the wood make this a fine specimen.

View attachment 7635466

William P. Jones, was at 25 Whittall Street, Birmingham from 1891-1935. He was the son of William Jones, Gun & Riflemaker, 86 Litchfield Street, Birmingham (d.1828). Ribs say "Winner of Field Trials."

Very cool!

Sirhr
Could you get a shot of just the wrist and butt?

Added: This is a pic of a rifle in American Hunter. Even though it looks all marble cake claro, this is what Circassian Walnut looks like. Note the straight black lines from the back of the action through the wrist to to the butt. Where it then begins to look like Claro.
1622234311616.png

What barrel profile does the Capstick have? I'm in the first stages of choosing a barrel for the Jeffery project. Thinking of going with a Pac-Nor barrel, as they seem to be the only ones who readily chamber for the Jeffery. And they are close-ish.

What barrel profile does the Capstick have? I'm in the first stages of choosing a barrel for the Jeffery project. Thinking of going with a Pac-Nor barrel, as they seem to be the only ones who readily chamber for the Jeffery. And they are close-ish.
Honestly can’t tell you what the profile is because I bought it with the barrel installed. Someone else had started this project and given up on it which was why I was able to buy it for 400 bucks. Which I don’t think I could get the barrel for... much less the action, stock etc.

It looks to me like a sporter profile built around a huge bore. Which it would have to be.

One of those pictures you can zoom in on and it shows the barrel pretty well. But since I don’t have the gun here I can’t do measurements for you. But feel free to send a picture of the gun to pac-nor!

cheers, Sirhr

Regarding the buffalo videos.
As a kid I had a dream of sneaking an African buffalo into a Spanish bullfighter arena.. :)
(As a kid I felt sorry for the bulls after attending a bullfight in Spain)

Thanks @sirhrmechanic , you have inspired me to commission a repro L42A1.
I've got four original mags, the smithy has two barrels to pick from, and further down the Rabbit Hole I fall.
No doubt I'll be grinning like the Cheshire Cat, when it's done.
Isn't there someone on here who has cloned them/restored one/built one... something like that?

Needs a thread, for sure!

Can't wait to see it coming together! That's what's amazing about Vintage. So many cool projects and so much of a research resource...

Sirhr

Law abiding citizens.
😔
Isn't there someone on here who has cloned them/restored one/built one... something like that?

Needs a thread, for sure!

Can't wait to see it coming together! That's what's amazing about Vintage. So many cool projects and so much of a research resource...

Sirhr
I used one for a course, then they were handed in, and AW was brought into service.
It's a testament to the Enfield action, that it had such a long service life.
I am looking forward to having it.
7.62x51/ .308 will always be a great calibre.

So 40 months after this adventure began... I picked up the finished rifle from Adams & Adams engravers... back from finishing at Turnbull! And all I can say is... this journey has been totally worth it! Scroll back to Page 1 and see what this started as! An incomplete $600 barreled action from Gunbroker... unknown maker (Turned out to be an Eddystone Remington Arsenal action). But the barrel and chambering work alone would have cost $600. So, what the heck. Oh and I blame @Son of Dorn because I was looking for a project rifle for him when I found this. Thanks Dorn!

capstick 1.jpg

Simple, but beautiful safari sight with pop-up blades. It's a .470 Capstick... a cannon. So no scope on this. Just an express sight.

capstick 2.jpg

Some mild engraving on the action top. Done by John Adams of Vershire, Vt. A master and a good friend. I try to always have 'something' in with him. Right now my 10mm.

capstick 3.jpg

Grip cap (the whole rifle is in the style of Rigby) with M'Bogo on it. He doesn't look happy.

capstick 4.jpg

John had fun with the Hefalump! Much more intricate than I had thought he would do. I had sort of planned this build to be a 'working African Rifle...' but the sort of thing a successful and prosporous PH might have had. Not some 'client' showpiece. But a good working gun with a few 'personalizations' by its owner. But I think John Adams wanted to have some fun with this and did an amazing job. The elephant is incredible in the light and just has such a great personality! I think John just got in a groove and though it's more than I was looking for, I'm over the moon pleased with it!!! Wow!

capstick 5.jpg

Here is the finished gun... cropped the barrel off because you can see it in earlier pictures. It's round and pointy. Anyhoo... as I mentioned, in the style of Rigby. I think the team out-Rigby'd Rigby to some extent!

Now that I have the gun back, I can finish the ammo. Some of the casings are older RCC and they are going to take a bit of work on my lathe to get them to chamber right with the boolits I have. But while lots of folks hated RCC, I loved working with them and 'finishing' my own ammo the way I wanted it. Too bad they went out of business (or are closed temporarily_.... because they fill a major need in the industry.

Anyhow, thanks for all the encouragement and for following this project along this path. It's been one of the less-snipery Snipers Hide builds. But here in vintage we are... a big tent group, right?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Sirhr

So 40 months after this adventure began... I picked up the finished rifle from Adams & Adams engravers... back from finishing at Turnbull! And all I can say is... this journey has been totally worth it! Scroll back to Page 1 and see what this started as! An incomplete $600 barreled action from Gunbroker... unknown maker (Turned out to be an Eddystone Remington Arsenal action). But the barrel and chambering work alone would have cost $600. So, what the heck. Oh and I blame @Son of Dorn because I was looking for a project rifle for him when I found this. Thanks Dorn!

View attachment 8040273

Simple, but beautiful safari sight with pop-up blades. It's a .470 Capstick... a cannon. So no scope on this. Just an express sight.

View attachment 8040274

Some mild engraving on the action top. Done by John Adams of Vershire, Vt. A master and a good friend. I try to always have 'something' in with him. Right now my 10mm.

View attachment 8040275

Grip cap (the whole rifle is in the style of Rigby) with M'Bogo on it. He doesn't look happy.

View attachment 8040276

John had fun with the Hefalump! Much more intricate than I had thought he would do. I had sort of planned this build to be a 'working African Rifle...' but the sort of thing a successful and prosporous PH might have had. Not some 'client' showpiece. But a good working gun with a few 'personalizations' by its owner. But I think John Adams wanted to have some fun with this and did an amazing job. The elephant is incredible in the light and just has such a great personality! I think John just got in a groove and though it's more than I was looking for, I'm over the moon pleased with it!!! Wow!

View attachment 8040277

Here is the finished gun... cropped the barrel off because you can see it in earlier pictures. It's round and pointy. Anyhoo... as I mentioned, in the style of Rigby. I think the team out-Rigby'd Rigby to some extent!

Now that I have the gun back, I can finish the ammo. Some of the casings are older RCC and they are going to take a bit of work on my lathe to get them to chamber right with the boolits I have. But while lots of folks hated RCC, I loved working with them and 'finishing' my own ammo the way I wanted it. Too bad they went out of business (or are closed temporarily_.... because they fill a major need in the industry.

Anyhow, thanks for all the encouragement and for following this project along this path. It's been one of the less-snipery Snipers Hide builds. But here in vintage we are... a big tent group, right?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Sirhr
Wait stop hang on what did I d-- Ohhhhhh that's pretty. I remember this now lol. It turned out quite nice!