• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My name is John and I'm a...

JMash50

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sniper's Hide newbie and just getting into the bolt-action game.
After building up a few AR15s, I again felt the itch that first started with a Mosin Nagant purchase years ago.

About a month ago I picked up Zastava Z98; a modern eastern-Euro commercial Mauser 98. I ordered a Boyd's Thumbhole, and after an hour with the rasp, chisel and file, I finished the inletting and got it out on the range.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365217710.420052.jpg

Well I'll be damned if 7mm RemMag isn't a beast of a cartridge. It can take down any game in this hemisphere, but its just not that fun to shoot recreationally. So, the Z98 is going with me to the gun show tomorrow, and we're going to capitalize on the loophole while we still can.

But, alas... Just today I found a great deal on a rifle that I really wanted all along: a Remington 700 SPS -Varmint in .308. Man, this rifle and round are exactly what I was looking for. And now the real project begins...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365217733.669252.jpg

Which stock? Which optic? Which trigger?
All questions that will be answered in my time here on SH.

As a civilian, my use will be recreational and ultimately I'd like to hone my skill to a point where I can confidently take this rifle to lengths that, with its 26" barrel, it can go without worry.
Personally, I'm interested in modern and urban warfare history and tactics; I'm incredibly interested and intrigued by the field craft and strategy regarding how we fight in cities. How buildings and spaces, roads and highways, and ever present non-combatants will influence and effect how battles are fought today and in the future. The dichotomy of war and cities has piqued my interest since I was in architecture school a few years back.

To this end, I'm currently working on a few art/design projects such as hypothetical Battle of Atlanta diagrams using the current cityscape, and the development of an urban ghillie suit that uses trash and concrete as much as it does local plant life, to blend the operator into his environment.

Well those are a few of the reasons why I've joined the Sniper's Hide forums.

You'll be seeing me around here and there, and I'll plan to post up some threads as my 700 build, and urban ghillie build, progress.

Project Appleseed will do wonders for you when youre ready to shoot longer distances

Thanks guys.

Here's the R700 SPS-V as it sits now...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365281249.738041.jpg

I plan to shoot a few hundred rounds before I get a new stock; that way I'll familiarize with the rifle/round, and get better. Upgrades are much more noticeable when you upgrade your skills too.