• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Went to gun store for the first time in about a year...

Jumper

I have a rendezvous with death
Minuteman
  • Dec 15, 2008
    some disputed barricade
    It was on the small side but well stocked and helpful staff. Everybody who was waited on at the counter bought at least 1 gun! And it was crowded with people waiting to be waited on. Guy in front of us bought 2 shotguns. My wife wanted a revolver and they had a SW 10mm. Their prices were good, not gouged anyway. We made the decision to buy in about 5mins. I said throw in a box of large rifle primers when we were checking out. Regretted it shortly thereafter as the price was $110. I guess that's about half the cost of gunbroker? They also had an 8lb jug of Varget by the register. It was priced at $499.99. 🤯. Apparently, that is also about half the price of gunbroker. Glad I am stocked up and don't feel like I have to buy anything right now.

Reactions: KZP
    Dude, goddamn! Not gouging you say?

You oughta ask if he'll break it up and sell the powder in grams.

$300something for 10,000 CCI34's last July I think. On GB. Shipped! Not paying gouge prices, I buy what I can during good days and focus on other items during bad ones.

Now is the time to be buying (new) scopes and back ordering hard to get shit, also anything NFA.

I have a friend with 5K Wolf SP primers.

He’ll probably be able to pay off his mortgage by the time Joe gets sworn in.

Even if Joe doesn’t, the scare alone will keep prices way up.

$110 for a box of SP primers and $500 for 8# of varget sounds like gouging to me. I'm so glad I live relatively close to a big reloading store that does not gouge. When they do get in powder it is the same price as it used to be before this craziness started back in, what??, summer 2020.

Reactions: Holliday
    My modest score today. Store limits to 2 boxes per caliber. These were the last of each $15 per for the 9mm and $23 for the 45. No price gouging....

IMG_8103.JPG

Reactions: LuvDog
    This is precisely why I laugh at reloaders who think that they will be able to have ammo when the shelves are bare of loaded ammunition.

I’ve lived through several ammo panics now. As the panic ramps up, components, especially primers, have always sold out before loaded ammunition. Every. Single. Time.

At the height of the panic, the price gouging on components vastly outpaces the gouging on loaded ammo.

I bought ammunition a little at a time over the last several years while the online retailers were selling it cheaper than I could reload.

I’ve got a Dillon 650 collecting dust under the bench in my gun room.

This is precisely why I laugh at reloaders who think that they will be able to have ammo when the shelves are bare of loaded ammunition.

I’ve lived through several ammo panics now. As the panic ramps up, components, especially primers, have always sold out before loaded ammunition. Every. Single. Time.

At the height of the panic, the price gouging on components vastly outpaces the gouging on loaded ammo.

I bought ammunition a little at a time over the last several years while the online retailers were selling it cheaper than I could reload.

I'm in the same boat as you man. I have been buying ammo and components over the last several years when it was on sale. A lot of the local 3 gun matches are pretty close so I can't justify the time reloading 223 blasting ammo when LC is so cheap. The single stage has been getting a work out though over the last couple of weeks for my long range guns next summer.

Then you have no idea the importance of stocking up on things that do not go bad... Like brass, powder, primers, and bullets... Buy when times are good. Stock up as much as you can. Then when times are bad (like now) people like me don't have to worry about finding anything.

Especially powder, bullets, and primers for hard-to-find and very expensive high-powered rifle cartridges, even when times are good. It costs me about $1.50 to reload a 7mm STW round with a Berger bullet, Federal Match primer, and IMR or Hodgdon powders. Factory-loaded ammo is about $5.00 per squeeze, and it's NOWHERE near the quality of the ammo I can produce handloading and tailoring my ammo to my rifles.

Now, I single-stage load... So, loading in volume is time-consuming and a giant pain in the ass. Loading about 100 .308 Win or .357 Mag rounds is a several hour job, when you're taking your time and loading precision ammo. So, volume shooting, like 5.56 or .300 BLK, or semi-auto pistols, I find it cheaper to just buy it in bulk. For plinking, I typically shoot either local reman'd brass 5.56 or cheap steel-cased Tula or Wolf. For pistols, it's typically Blazer Brass for .45's and 9mm. And there's never a such thing as cheap .357 Sig... I'm fixing to start loading for it once all this settles down. Already got brass saved up, and dies and box of 9mm projectiles. Just need some primers and powder, but I don't shoot it much, so I can wait till everything settles back down and gets back to normal.

I remember buying 4 8lb jugs of Bullseye for $300 per 8 lbs after Sandy Hook. With my 45 app match load of 3.9 gr of BE, that's 14,358 rds per 8 lbs. That's still only .02 per round of powder. I'd rather be on the range shooting expensive shit, than at home complaining about how the world isn't fair.

Last edited:

This is the hallmark of 2A gun owners narcissism, denial and inaction. Why act, when you can tell stories.......? “I’ll reload” “when the civil war starts” “lost my guns in a boat accident” “the revolution will start soon” “ But Trump-Jesus!!!”

I've never had to wonder why the average casual gun nut is poor. The fact that they can't figure out how to buy ammo and mags when it's cheap and piled high in stores tells me everything I need to know about their investment prowess.

Reactions: FuhQ

Your post makes no sense to me. The point you're trying to push is: you, a factory ammo buyer who STOCKS UP over the years, has more access to ammo than a reloader who DID NOT STOCK UP over the years. This scenario is EXTREMELY RARE as reloaders are more likely to stock up than non- reloaders.

To me, your post highlights the importance of stocking up and has absolutely zero relation to your decision to not reload.

My go to gun shop has had to go to appointments. They aren't a big store, I use them for special purchases and transfers. But they moved into a more commercial looking store and they were getting way too much foot traffic. Not to mention a few of the nuttier folks. It was too much. They still sell everything as soon as it hits the shelves, but he said he can breathe easier knowing who's in the store and there's not 30 people deep looking to buy the last 5 guns he has in the shop.

I had quite a bit when all this started but when’ll this started in March, I started loading up on powder, primers and bullets.

I have 7-8k each of small pistol, small rifle, small rifle mag, large rifle and only 1000 of large pistol. Wish I had a little more powder but have 8-10 lbs of most everything I use.

With prices as high as they are, a friend is tempted to offload some surplus. I told him to stop being a retard.

With prices as high as they are, a friend is tempted to offload some surplus. I told him to stop being a retard.
    You can call me names but that won't stop me from selling while the prices are high. You can get $1.50 per round for 9mm Ball in small quantities. That has doubled since Thanksgiving. A local shop can't keep handguns in stock and will only sell you one box of ammo with each gun purchase.

I don’t believe I called you names.

I called my friend a retard. Selling what you can’t easily replace is not a good idea.

"Selling what you can’t easily replace is not a good idea"

I'm old, not in the best health, don't shoot much and don't have any kids. It will be one less thing my wife will have to deal with when I die.

Every time I go for a gallon of milk, I hit the sports stores on the way to and from the grocery store. Have been able to find some loaded ammo and a few reloading components in the last couple weeks, all at normal pricing, but of course at limited quantities. The weird part is walking up to the register feeling like you have just stolen something, knowing you're about to pay NORMAL PRICES, compared to what we see on the GB. Oh, and I have had to explain to the wife why the milk run takes 45 minutes.

This same shit happened when Obama became president.The democrats sell more guns than anyone just by putting a scare on people.

"Selling what you can’t easily replace is not a good idea"

I'm old, not in the best health, don't shoot much and don't have any kids. It will be one less thing my wife will have to deal with when I die.

Do most feel the same if someone owned say 20 AR15 rifles and maybe wants to sell say 10 of them?

I reload and I have a lot of ammunition built right now having been unemployed for 6 months due to Covid. I have enough components to rebuild at least 2X. I'm not thrilled about not being able to replenish primers, power, and bullets but I'll have ammunition for a couple years if I don't get stupid.

I suspect by the time I run out of ammunition my guns will long ago have been confiscated or I'll be dead/in jail so it doesn't matter. I'll be burning 150 rounds of 9mm tomorrow and reload it all before next Weekend. I'm enjoying it before it all goes away.

VooDoo