• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s the BEST bourbon?

A friend said the same thing I need to look into this.

Is there a kit that can be bought or do you have your own recipe for smoking bourbon?

I use both a smoke top, which sits on top the glass and smokes just the drink, and the box which will leave a smoky taste on the glass as well. Not sure which I prefer. You can experiment with all different wood chips to find what you like. Amazon has smokers and wood chips. Middleton’s mixology is also a good source for a starter kit.

Sometimes I do one part bourbon, one part Grand Marnier, dash of chocolate bitters and oak smoke. Delicious IMO.

Another old fashioned that I love is Basil Hayden dark rye, dash of black walnut bitters, pear wood smoke. Also pretty amazing, again IMO.

Like others have said, it’s all up to the individuals tastes. You might hate all my favorites. Lol

Reactions: JR_77
Why?

I assume you use oak?
I'm not sure there's an oak tree within 1000 miles of me, so if that's the case I'm out already. It would cost more than the bourbon for me to buy a chunk to turn into ash.

I also don't get the floaty bits, spoils the taste....
Oak, apple, pear, cherry, pecan, all kinds of different chips available. I don’t cut down any trees for the smoker. Just buy a couple ounces online. Lol.

Not sure what bits are floating in your drink but I have no floaty bits in my old fashioned unless I muddled a cherry for it.

Can someone make a list of the woke liquor companies to avoid? I know Jack D. was mentioned in one of the Bud Light threads, and I seem to recall there were a bunch of different offerings from that company and other ESG jerks.

I'm no connoisseur (sp?) but wouldn't mind finding something decent to put a bunch of bottles away.

ETA: Jack Daniels owned by Brown -Forman

Brown-Forman brands at link. Any of them mentioned?

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K
So, I know there’s a thread about “what are you drinking right now”. But I wanna know, what do you all think is the best bourbon out there?
Blantons is good. But ever since John Wick started drinking the shit, it’s fn rediculous to get. Here in the Peoples Republic of Virginia, the ABC nazis ration the shit out. F dat!
I have since gone to Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Smooth with a great finish. Another great one for you SC men is Blue Run. That stuff is righteous!

But hey, what do you all think?

So far, for me, "Woodford Reserve" followed closely by Bulleit Bourbon. I have tasted Jim Bean Devil's Cut and the standard Maker's Mark, but like Woodford Reserve overall.

I use both a smoke top, which sits on top the glass and smokes just the drink, and the box which will leave a smoky taste on the glass as well. Not sure which I prefer. You can experiment with all different wood chips to find what you like. Amazon has smokers and wood chips. Middleton’s mixology is also a good source for a starter kit.

Sometimes I do one part bourbon, one part Grand Marnier, dash of chocolate bitters and oak smoke. Delicious IMO.

Another old fashioned that I love is Basil Hayden dark rye, dash of black walnut bitters, pear wood smoke. Also pretty amazing, again IMO.

Like others have said, it’s all up to the individuals tastes. You might hate all my favorites. Lol
I’m a noob so I’m willing to try it out.

Picks are where it's at for me. I have some really really tasty BT, ER, Blantons, Weller and KC picks.

The KC picks have gotten younger...used to get 15-18yr picks regularly that were so darn good it was impossible to make that bottle last more than 2-3 days.. can't stop going back to it...
Yeah, I agree. Party Source EHT SP I have is tits. DEPS New Riff pick is delicious for a young one. KC Longhorn SP is 12 yr I think but really good. The regular 18 is really good too. I like the Old Fitz and Abraham Bowman’s too. Expensive but delicious and fairly worth it to me. Kinda like Red Breast 27. Miles above the 21 and worth the couple hundred bucks more.

My current favorite is Elijah Craig.

Because I drink a lot and it’s not overly priced.

Buffalo Trace is decent but damn near unobtainium in these parts.

Basil Hayden is definitely tasty, but more than I want to spend every Friday night.

Woodford Reserve is over rated but the best thing available on Delta flights.

I found a good way to discreetly hide whiskey bottles. Might come in handy if you've got a bottle saved for a special occasion and don't want it walking off.

So many good ones already mentioned. I have become addicted to Jefferson’s Ocean. They’ve got a Cabernet cask aged that is out of this world and the ocean aged is awesome as well. They take the barrels on a trip to sea and say that the different humidities in different locales enhance flavors. Hell if I know but it’s good.

OP, I like that woodford double oak too!

If you’re not smoking your bourbon, you’re missing out.

View attachment 8148468

The Jeff’s Ocean is very hit or miss in my experience. Most are ok, a couple just plain nasty to my palate, but voyage #23 was sublime. Wish I had some more…

The Jeff’s Groth cask finished bourbon is a lot more consistent, and on the whole better than the ocean IMHO. Haven’t cracked the Grand Select yet, but hear good things from my brown liquor buddies.

Re: Op’s question, Blanton’s is still my favorite, just a shame it can’t be found. Used to pay $30 a bottle at the Class 6 on base, now unobtanium. Eagle Rare is a close second for me, and/or EH taylor when I can find it…about as rare as Blanton’s these days though. Weller 12 is a good intermediate bourbon that I used to use just to make mixed drinks, but now save it for sippin’ if I’m out of the others…I almost never use it for mixing any more.

For readily-available bourbon, the 4-Roses single barrel someone mentioned above is excellent, as is the Horse Soldier. Basil Hayden is what I usually give to anyone who wants to try bourbon for the first time…great drinkin’ for the money.

IMG_4805.jpeg

Reactions: JR_77 and WaltHer
My current favorite is Elijah Craig.

Because I drink a lot and it’s not overly priced.

Buffalo Trace is decent but damn near unobtainium in these parts.

Basil Hayden is definitely tasty, but more than I want to spend every Friday night.

Woodford Reserve is over rated but the best thing available on Delta flights.
Don’t know if you’ve tried any of the EC barrel proof but there’s some great ones.
If not, I’m happy to send ya a bottle. I stock piled those like primers when they first started coming out.

I found a good way to discreetly hide whiskey bottles. Might come in handy if you've got a bottle saved for a special occasion and don't want it walking off.

That’s very cool. You think it’s TSA approved when you travel to keep your bottle from breaking? :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 91Eunozs and lash
Story I've related before, but went to a fancy tasting and asked the head dood why cant I taste all this crazy flavors and notes like reviews, and his response was "everyone is different, and everyone has their own preferences. Just drink what makes you happy" and this guy was hawking $300 single malt hooch!

So I try and grab a random bottle from local distilleries or something new at the store Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes it's gonna be a 'bourbon and coke" week.....
.........and sometimes it's dayum!!!, I got a new favorite!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don’t know if you’ve tried any of the EC barrel proof but there’s some great ones.
If not, I’m happy to send ya a bottle. I stock piled those like primers when they first started coming out.
I haven’t yet but I’ll ask the local store about it.
Was it a limited offering?

I don’t drink much at all but when I do it’s at home so I am not a seasoned connoisseur by any stretch. I had an old bottle of Jack D in the cabinet for probably 10 years. I decided to try something new after reading thru the “what are you drinking right now” thread you mentioned. I tried four roses, bulleit, smoke wagon, Pendleton, Knob Creek & a few others. Those were all OK with Pendleton being the best of the lot to me.

@Maggot had recommend Horse Soldier Bourbon and that stuff is great. Tried all three and my favorite is the Reserve (barrel strength) it has great oak/vanilla flavor with a hint of cinnamon which is fantastic. The Premium (87 proof) is very smooth but not as much flavor. The Signature (95 proof) has much more flavor/body compared to the Premium (87 proof) but not as smooth nor does it match the Reserve (barrel strength) in flavor which again is my favorite. Prices range from $60-$150 a bottle.

It’s hard to find locally so go to their website and do a search under “where to buy.” Depending on what state you are in it‘s possible to buy direct and have it shipped to your home.

View attachment 8148488

View attachment 8148495

I would like to try this but when you click to buy direct, it says opening soon.

I would like to try this but when you click to buy direct, it says opening soon.
That‘s strange…I ordered the Reserve thru their website 4-5 months ago and it showed up in 1.5 weeks. Must be redesigning the shopping feature?

I'm always on the lookout for new batches of EC barrel proof too. Some of them are gems, especially the private barrel picks.

One of the best bourbons I've ever had was the Larceny BP batch C922. Not quite as good as the WLWs I've had, but damn close for 1/20th the price. I should've bought a case....

I'm always on the lookout for new batches of EC barrel proof too. Some of them are gems, especially the private barrel picks.

One of the best bourbons I've ever had was the Larceny BP batch C922. Not quite as good as the WLWs I've had, but damn close for 1/20th the price. I should've bought a case....
Wow. I passed on those. I’ll have to be on the lookout now. WLW is incredible but not worth the secondary.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
Back when I could drink, some of the meds I am on it is not a good idea, I liked the below for every day stuff when I could find it. I had to stop right in the middle of the shortages and I could not find it for the life of me and I tried quite a few things and never liked them as much. I was more "self medicating" then anything else.

1685023933366.png

Some things I just did not see the draw to, everything I tried that was four roses was not for me. For the life of me I fail to see the love for Makers Mark.

There is a local KC brand that is called Toms Town that was about the best I could find.

Reactions: BLEE and 91Eunozs

So keeping me from finding primers wasn't enough, you had to deny me EC barrel proof as well......what an asshole.
Just for that, I've been traveling the southeast, buying up all the limited run special flavors of Mt Dew Zero....AHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Back when I could drink, some of the meds I am on it is not a good idea, I liked the below for every day stuff when I could find it. I had to stop right in the middle of the shortages and I could not find it for the life of me and I tried quite a few things and never liked them as much. I was more "self medicating" then anything else.

View attachment 8148822

Some things I just did not see the draw to, everything I tried that was four roses was not for me. For the life of me I fail to see the love for Makers Mark.

There is a local KC brand that is called Toms Town that was about the best I could find.

It works on spinal nerve pain.....until your liver light comes on.

So keeping me from finding primers wasn't enough, you had to deny me EC barrel proof as well......what an asshole.
Just for that, I've been traveling the southeast, buying up all the limited run special flavors of Mt Dew Zero....AHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

EC BP is one of my top easy to find bottles. I have lots of them and C922 is out of this world. I also have quite a few backups....

I believe it was the Larceny BP C922 that won a double gold at World Spirits Comp last year, and it is delicious...but I personally find EC BP C922 quite exceptional and better than the Larceny...

I hunt down the EC Single Barrel Private barrel pics as well. They are delicious, if you see one on the shelf grab it.

EC BP is one of my top easy to find bottles. I have lots of them and C922 is out of this world. I also have quite a few backups....

I believe it was the Larceny BP C922 that won a double gold at World Spirits Comp last year, and it is delicious...but I personally find EC BP C922 quite exceptional and better than the Larceny...

So you are the one buying them up....
If I order a complete set of Amway stainless kitchen ware, do you throw in a bottle of the rarer EC barrel proof?

• Haha
Reactions: lash
So many good ones already mentioned. I have become addicted to Jefferson’s Ocean. They’ve got a Cabernet cask aged that is out of this world and the ocean aged is awesome as well. They take the barrels on a trip to sea and say that the different humidities in different locales enhance flavors. Hell if I know but it’s good.

OP, I like that woodford double oak too!

If you’re not smoking your bourbon, you’re missing out.

View attachment 8148468
How do you do that?? I’m not quite sure putting it into my Myron Mixon Smoker is the same, lmao

• Haha
Reactions: darkfader
I generally sip Macallans, but as far as bourbon goes Michters is the best $45 bottle IMO. Likely better ones for more money but against the Woodford, Buffalo, knobs and others just has a smoother flavor to me.

I like any good brown likker. Personally for me the ones that made it first still make the best. But, I have red hair, a hell of a temper and wayback roots in County Galway. Single pot still Irish Whiskey.....particularly Yellowspot, Goldspot and Redbreast 15,21 are my favorite with Redbreast 27 being the best I have in the house. Tullamore dew 12 year if I am mixing , which is not often. Good Bourbon used to be cheap until the trendy urban manbuns decided it was hip to drink bourbon in their pre scuffed boots and flannels.

As to smoke, ice, water hell anything in good brown likker.....hard nope.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Hoarders Club. The struggle is real. (y)

HOARDER

noun​

1. A treasurer; a steward.
  2. One who hoards or accumulates; one who lays up a store of something; one who gathers and keeps a stock or fund.
  3. One who hoards.
The Century Dictionary.

Can’t afford the high priced stuff like Pappy’s…I usually make do with with George Dickel 13yr old bottled in bond. Can be had for $25-$40 and it will surprise most

I will add, that just because a whiskey is expensive, doesn't necessarily make it good. There is no accounting for taste: everybody likes what they like. Personally, I don't like Scotch (it tastes like dirt to me, but I'll still drink it) and you couldn't PAY me to drink rye. Some of the whiskey that tasted really good to me was home made (it's legal in Missouri, according to state liquor laws, a qualified person can make up to 100 gallons per year for personal consumption, & if there is 2 people in the household, they can make 200 gallons per year). Home made, very high quality, whiskey can be made extremely low cost, so price does not factor in... for me.

For me, the grain bill is where good bourbon starts. Many modern distilleries use a very similar grain bill, (each has their own recipe) and the distillate from a certain distillery may be all/nearly all the same right off the still. The different brands/labels may be made up of different AGES of distillate. The older aged stuff typically is "better" so it gets bottled & marketed as higher priced labels. This is appropriate marketing, in my opinion. Older bourbon should be better than younger stuff; better in color, smell, taste, finish. But not necessarily so. Generally speaking, yes. But I admit that I do like the smell & flavor of some very inexpensive bourbons. Evan Williams, and Buffalo Trace for example.

This brings back my thought about the grain bill they start with. I tend not to like the flavor of Jim Beam family of products, nor the Jack Daniels line. I do like Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace flavors. So... If you happen to enjoy a certain brand of bourbon/or whiskey, you may want to investigate the other brands that particular distillery offers, often the other more expensive brands will simply be the same distillate/recipe, just older. Just a suggestion, my opinion.

Last edited:
The worst shit I’ve ever had was a $300 bottle of Whistle Pig. I would have been better buying some black velvet in a plastic bottle that day. That bottle is 3 years old and has been given away twice. It’s still almost full.

+1 on 15 yo Pappy. IMO any Scotch is better than the best bourbon. Your mileage may vary.
Yea im not dropping a Macallans for pappy or anything else out there bourbon wise. I do need to expand my scotch tasting though.

Yea im not dropping a Macallans for pappy or anything else out there bourbon wise. I do need to expand my scotch tasting though.
GlenDronach 15, 18 or 21 is you like Macallan. Honestly, the 15 is delicious and much less expensive than the latter 2.

Reactions: 6.5SH
The Johnny Walker Blue is excellent but I wouldn’t bother trying any of their other offerings. I like the blue better than anything from Macallan.

For Irish, the Middleton Very Rare is very good on ice.

I will add, that just because a whiskey is expensive, doesn't necessarily make it good. There is no accounting for taste: everybody likes what they like. Personally, I don't like Scotch (it tastes like dirt to me, but I'll still drink it) and you couldn't PAY me to drink rye. Some of the whiskey that tasted really good to me was home made (it's legal in Missouri, according to state liquor laws, a qualified person can make up to 100 gallons per year for personal consumption, & if there is 2 people in the household, they can make 200 gallons per year). Home made, very high quality, whiskey can be made extremely low cost, so price does not factor in... for me.

For me, the grain bill is where good bourbon starts. Many modern distilleries use a very similar grain bill, (each has their own recipe) and the distillate from a certain distillery may be all/nearly all the same right off the still. The different brands/labels may be made up of different AGES of distillate. The older aged stuff typically is "better" so it gets bottled & marketed as higher priced labels. This is appropriate marketing, in my opinion. Older bourbon should be better than younger stuff; better in color, smell, taste, finish. But not necessarily so. Generally speaking, yes. But I admit that I do like the smell & flavor of some very inexpensive bourbons. Evan Williams, and Buffalo Trace for example.

This brings back my thought about the grain bill they start with. I tend not to like the flavor of Jim Beam family of products, nor the Jack Daniels line. I do like Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace flavors. So... If you happen to enjoy a certain brand of bourbon/or whiskey, you may want to investigate the other brands that particular distillery offers, often the other more expensive brands will simply be the same distillate/recipe, just older. Just a suggestion, my opinion.
A lot of distilleries source their whiskey from MGP and finish/package it themselves.

From what I’ve read, you can make an incredibly smooth whiskey at home by chucking all the tails that major distilleries don’t remove for economic reasons. You still need to finish it to get a nice flavor profile and that takes time.

I’m thinking about giving it a go and finishing in 20L barrels for two years or so. I’ll likely have no consistency from batch to batch but it should be fun to experiment nonetheless.

Reactions: Mudburner
Agreed, Midwest Grain Products in Indiana makes a LOT of distillate.

Clever marketing.

Clever marketing does not necessarily make the best bourbon. It just gets the highest prices. Which is what the marketers want. And I think people enjoy bragging about how much their favorite stuff cost. No problemo, I have no problem with any of this. These are just MY observations. It's just... like, y'know... MY opinion, man...

But here's my point:
I recently watched a Netflix show called "Heist" and one of the episodes dealt with "The Great Pappy-Gate Heist", or whatever it was called.

Very interesting show, very interesting history.

A distillery warehouse worker stole some barrels. He started selling it & eventually he got his softball buddies involved. Eventually he/they got caught. He goes to jail for it, then another guy (who agreed to testify, with immunity) 'fessed up' that it was actually himself that stole the booze, so the 1st guy gets let out of prison & only spent a short while there. Meanwhile, the fuss & everything surrounding it actually drives the price of certain brand of bourbon through the stratosphere. Win/win/win, with only a bit of jail time for one guy.

Research "Pappygate". Its a really interesting story.

The Johnny Walker Blue is excellent but I wouldn’t bother trying any of their other offerings. I like the blue better than anything from Macallan.

For Irish, the Middleton Very Rare is very good on ice.

The blue is good but wasn't any better than the Macallan 15. I'll have to try the Middleton.

GlenDronach 15, 18 or 21 is you like Macallan. Honestly, the 15 is delicious and much less expensive than the latter 2.

Haven't tried that brand yet. I didn't have the pallet to distinguish the difference between a 15 and 18 Macallan and I doubt I would here as well. 15 seems to be sweet spot where I notice the difference from a 12. After that, diminishing returns.