• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bourbon is better/sweeter than Makers Mark?

I really can't believe some of the swill being recommended here.

Found it at Costco of all places. Bought it and some Wellers 107 they happened to have.

Based on my first taste, the Widow Jane is very good.

View attachment 7156361
Yeah, especially all that Angel's Envy. Recommended by the Olympic Arms crowd...
Yeesh

Public Service Announcement:

Friends don't let friends buy Angels Envy. Might just as well be recommending Kessler.

You can have mine brother. I hate it. Especially at the price. No body, it's thin. It's weak. Blah taste. Anything Evan Williams is better for crying out loud. Jim Beam white label is better.
Yech.

Speaking of Beam, no one has mentioned Knob Creek. Best lower cost product from them.

Weller has become over rated. I like it a lot, but the price has sky rocket because of a rumor that it's made from the same mash as Van Pappys, its not. Instead of Weller try Wild Turkey Long Branch. If you do find Weller at a reasonable price definitely pick some up.

What's a "Van Pappys"? Where do I score some of that fly shit?

I really can't believe some of the swill being recommended here.

Found it at Costco of all places. Bought it and some Wellers 107 they happened to have.

Based on my first taste, the Widow Jane is very good.

View attachment 7156361

If we're going throw stick and stones by calling other peoples picks swill I might as well toss my hat in the ring with the reasons why I can't get behind a shady non-distiller product like Widow Jane.

Let's start with the fact Widow Jane doesn't actually distill their own 10yr. They buy it in bulk from distillers in Kentucky or Indiana, which one is kept secret in light of the fall out from when they admitted to buying from MGP in Lawrence, IN, but ignoring laws requiring the labels to be marked "distilled in Indiana". Oh, and the special water that gives it that unique taste is not actually from the Widow Jane Mines despite their marketing claims, but rather from an area simply nearby.

Shady business tactics and bulk stock for over $60 a bottle. When you can get a true in-bonded 10yr for under $40 or a true small batch off 10yr for $100. Yep, that's a hard pass for me.

Weller 107 on rocks, single ice cube
Old Forester 1920 or 1910
Blantons

Eagle Rare is great as well and has less ethanol bite.

William Larue Weller if you can find it!
I have the WLW on my bar now. I'm afraid that is too much octane for the OP

Possibly. I don’t tend to like the ethanol burn myself but a large single ice cube tends to knock that right out. It has a taste profile that is just incredible though.
I agree, but prefer it neat myself

Scotch is my preferred dram, but I've dabbled in bourbon just to get educated. So far I think I like the Wild Turkey Rare Breed the best (of my limited sample) and I have some Old Forester 1897 here which is about as nuanced as a 20lb sledge. So you guys keep sharing the info. I don't know if the Rare Breed is sweet or not. Gentleman Jack (I know..not bourbon) is like water to me @ 40%.

Rare Breed is a barrel proof high rye mashbill, meaning more spicy than sweet.
Good stuff, although I do prefer the WT Kentucky Spirit myself

Another vote for Angel's Envy Rye (regular is delicious too.)

Or you could stop being poor, buy one of each and keep what you like.
I stopped buying it because it was so smooth and tasted so good I would drink the whole bottle in an afternoon! You only clean your hot tub out 9 times from puking in it before you figure out "hey maybe im fucking up here".

Rare Breed is a barrel proof high rye mashbill, meaning more spicy than sweet.
Good stuff, although I do prefer the WT Kentucky Spirit myself
Good info there as I didn't find it that terribly spicy...at least compared to this 1897. I need to find some Old Fitz but here in 'Bama.....well, I don't think we get that and requires a trip to the ATL for most good stuff. Granted, they have a 50 year old Caol Ila Scotch for 39K :).

Reactions: Bjaouni
@TheGerman

If I may, a note on Elijah Craig.
You will notice if you look, there is barrel proof and small batch. Barrel proof is a "here and gone again" product. It is also 134 horsepower and runs a bit hot.
Small batch at 94 horsepower is....a bit more tame, and quite easy to drink.
Barrel proof has flavor, but it has an afterpunch that'll knock yer dick in the dirt.

@TheGerman

If I may, a note on Elijah Craig.
You will notice if you look, there is barrel proof and small batch. Barrel proof is a "here and gone again" product. It is also 134 horsepower and runs a bit hot.
Small batch at 94 horsepower is....a bit more tame, and quite easy to drink.
Barrel proof has flavor, but it has an afterpunch that'll knock yer dick in the dirt.

The barrel proof is stout, and like you said will kick your dick in. The small batch is enjoyable and a good everyday sip. I like the flavor of the barrel proof, but its intense, though a good option at times I agree. I am a fan of the Elijah Craigs, they offer a great variety of quality and daily consumption without bankrupting you.

If we're going throw stick and stones by calling other peoples picks swill I might as well toss my hat in the ring with the reasons why I can't get behind a shady non-distiller product like Widow Jane.

Let's start with the fact Widow Jane doesn't actually distill their own 10yr. They buy it in bulk from distillers in Kentucky or Indiana, which one is kept secret in light of the fall out from when they admitted to buying from MGP in Lawrence, IN, but ignoring laws requiring the labels to be marked "distilled in Indiana". Oh, and the special water that gives it that unique taste is not actually from the Widow Jane Mines despite their marketing claims, but rather from an area simply nearby.

Shady business tactics and bulk stock for over $60 a bottle. When you can get a true in-bonded 10yr for under $40 or a true small batch off 10yr for $100. Yep, that's a hard pass for me.
But it tastes good.

But it tastes good.

Indeed.
It is fairly well known, I have certainly posted about the MGP products quite a bit. Sure it's a bit dishonest, but the truth is, some of it is quite good likker.
I think it could be cheaper, and maybe they are selling a "name". Are they taking advantage of the fad that surrounds bourbon right now? Sure they are.

I hear tell, Heaven Hill Green Label 6 year is one of the best Bourbons ever. It is a small batch bourbon, and at one time it was exclusively for employees of the distillery. I also understand that you can buy it now, but it's only sold in Kentucky.
It runs about $12 a bottle, and reviews on it are glowing. If I'm ever in Kentucky again, I'll let you know.

the best Bourbon I've ever found is the Pappy Van Winkle 20yr. If you can find it, grab it. Their future bottlings of 20yr whiskey will become even scarcer because they did not anticipate until recently the increased demand for high-end whiskey.

Outside of Pappy, the best I have tried by a long shot is Belle Meade Single Barrel. Sweet, smooth and smokey. About $60/bottle. Nothing else comes close.

Any recommendation on something a woman would like ? something with a smoother taste?

Confession time, man card on the line.

Some three weeks ago, a Monday. I know because its a fasting day.

On fasting days I eat some beautiful bacon and eggs in the AM than dont eat until next day at breakfast.

Anyway while cooking dinner for wife and kids I ended up having three 1/2 water glasses of EH Taylor.

I didnt puke but I went to sleep with the bed spinning in the room and me wishing I had taken dramamine.

I feel like I have fallen off the horse and when back in the saddle havent been enjoying my bourbon as much as I did prior to those three glasses.

What comes next?

Will I regain my abilities to enjoy bourbon/whiskey or.....

Will I be sucking dicks soon?

Any recommendation on something a woman would like ? something with a smoother taste?

If neat, try Old Forester 1910. It's just been re-released and has a lower proof (93) with good flavor. The following from Breaking Bourbon: Old Forester 1910 delivers a nice, thick and chewy mouthfeel. The sugars from the char are really evident. The palate is sickly sweet with a heavy layer of burnt caramel and vanilla. Hidden deep beneath are dark berries along with toasted marshmallows. All of these flavors rest upon a layer of oak. It’s amazing how viscous the mouthfeel is. It’s not incredibly deep in terms of flavor range, however it’s extremely enjoyable.

Resuming my thoughts......You can always add an ice cube or a bit of water to knock any heat off.

Or just go full 'enjoy' and make an Old Fashioned.

Reactions: spearknives

On fasting days I eat some beautiful bacon and eggs in the AM than dont eat until next day at breakfast.

Anyway while cooking dinner for wife and kids I ended up having three 1/2 water glasses of EH Taylor.

I didnt puke but I went to sleep with the bed spinning in the room and me wishing I had taken dramamine.

I feel like I have fallen off the horse and when back in the saddle havent been enjoying my bourbon as much as I did prior to those three glasses.

What comes next?

Everyone is different. Some never come back from a bad one. Sometimes you just need the right situation to make it taste right, then your me right back at it!

What comes next?

Definitely caught the gay. Sorry to hear about that.

Eagle Rare. I've found that women who are truly interested in real whiskey like this often.

Otherwise, flavored ones like Tennessee Honey or Fireball and sometimes Southern Comfort or Crown Royal apple.

Now I won't drink that crap, but I have to allow that a lot of women like the shit.

Reactions: spearknives
Indeed.
It is fairly well known, I have certainly posted about the MGP products quite a bit. Sure it's a bit dishonest, but the truth is, some of it is quite good likker.
I think it could be cheaper, and maybe they are selling a "name". Are they taking advantage of the fad that surrounds bourbon right now? Sure they are.

I don't mind the MGP products with other company names on them. Just like I don't mind all the optics companies that put their names on products from LOW. If it's a good product, it's a good product.

Just don't lie about it. When a company marks a product as made in USA when it's made in Japan or distilled in NY when it was distilled in IN is where I take issue.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn

To this day I still can't do Smirnoff Vodka (no big loss) after a 'puke n rally' x2 in college, but other vodka's no issue. Might be worth trying a different whiskey. If that doesn't work there is a whole wonderful world of Scotch to explore ;)

Jim Beam white label is better.
Let's not get crazy.

And the worst bourbon I've ever had was Jim Beam Devil's Cut. I was gifted an open bottle from a friend that loves Basil Hayden's bourbon and various rye whiskeys. He poured a glass, took a sip, and pitched it. I did the same thing. I gifted the bottle to another friend that's a Beam white label drinker. He did the same thing.

To mix it it with Coke would ruin the coke. Nasty swill.

Reactions: Geno C.
Thanks for the recommendations guys, i have been checking them online to see what they look like. i will pick up a few at the store tomorrow. Thanks.

Crown Royal

I've only known one woman to sip whiskey straight, and it was Crown.
You haven't met My Lady yet, or any others like her. (there aren't many, believe me she's RARE) My Lady drinks hers straight, and we enjoy our Bourbon selection. Once in a while I'll have some Dark Rum, or a good Vodka,,,, but she just enjoys the Bourbon's.

They're out there.... just gotta look real hard to find 'em.

And Crown Royal is made locally to us, and neither of us like that shit. Too sweet. Too mild. Too 'blah'....

I’m with @Sean the Nailer they’re out there...
EC0EAF7C-C9BA-4801-B16F-E1EAA5006A27.jpeg

I have been going back and forth between knob Creek and a macallen 12 yr scotch.

Either way, a dash of water to bring the flavor out is key. Depending on the whiskey a varied amount of water can do amazing things for the flavor.

Let's not get crazy.

And the worst bourbon I've ever had was Jim Beam Devil's Cut.

To mix it it with Coke would ruin the coke. Nasty swill.

Funny thing, I find devil's cut quite enjoyable.

However, mixing anything with coke is a waste.

My wife drinks whiskey cloudy with the cheapest well, so there is no accounting for taste.

Last edited:
You haven't met My Lady yet, or any others like her. (there aren't many, believe me she's RARE) My Lady drinks hers straight, and we enjoy our Bourbon selection. Once in a while I'll have some Dark Rum, or a good Vodka,,,, but she just enjoys the Bourbon's.

They're out there.... just gotta look real hard to find 'em.

And Crown Royal is made locally to us, and neither of us like that shit. Too sweet. Too mild. Too 'blah'....

Oh yeah, they're out there. My cousin Patty shoots whiskey with the best of them. Not refined though. Now the wife of one of my employees, she's wiped out whole bottles of Kentucky Owl and Eagle Rare in a weekend. She likes good rye too.

Water? In my fucking likker?
GTFO of here.

If I try something new that is absolute shit, I will mix it with Ginger ale.
If I purchased well, it's good to go, room temp in a glass.

If you chill it, or ice it, or stone it, or water it, you might as well be drinking the shit that's so cheap, they wouldn't even burn it in a wharehouse insurance fire.

To those who would adulterate their glass I say:
Maybe you don't like bourbon, maybe you should be drinking Pepe Lopez tequila.

Reactions: el-wood
Another one I haven't seen listed here is Ben Milam small batch. Super clean and smooth.

Nice thread....

@TheGerman

I keep saying to spend the $75 and get a bottle of Widow Jane...If you can't get it in UT, I would be happy to coordinate sending you a bottle. Everything you see on this thread is ho hum...including Pappy. Same names....blah, blah blah. I don't think you will find a better bourbon....just perfect and only $75.

I have a long and constant experience with all manner of whiskeys....grain and/or grape...

Not sure how I missed this. Am glad I went through the posts.

Ill take you up on the offer if theres no Widow Jane in Vegas; currently it says 'limited availability' which means they have a bottle or two as they are good with their inventory and correctly list things as OOS.

The tasting notes including things like olive oil would probably not have me try it otherwise lol

Either way, thanks for the offer. Will let you know.

Most of some of the sought after labels, regardless of price, are made by Buffalo Trace. In my area, they are allocated such that stores only get X number of bottles based on what is produced and how well the store sells their product.

I would recommend the following:

Blanton’s
Weller 107
EH Taylor Single Barrel
Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel
Angel’s Envy Rye
Willett Small Batch Rye
Stagg Jr.

No Four Roses???

Eagle Rare or Elijah, or for a bit on the wild find a bottle of Monkey Shoulder, or even Jameson Caskmates (preferably the Stout edition).

@MtnCreek got it right tho. 100% sweet would be some of the flavored Crown’s. The Vanilla is mighty tasty either sipped on the rocks or splashed with some coke.

Eagle Rare is quite good, though i hit the buffalo trace as my nightly.....I do love me some crown vanilla with diet ginger ale.......

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Probably sucking dicks.

So tell me, Im sure you know.......

How does it start?

Will I just be all straight one second than decide I think Ill eat a cock or is there some "rape event" that the ghey Ive contracted subliminally emits and triggers a life changing event...?

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C.