• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What’s the deal with Vortex? Yay? Nay?

I stand by my statement: I try my damndest to not buy from China because I have never thought it was in the best interest of the nations economy.

You’re not well educated if you are making decisions like this. Vortex is a US company that sells stuff that benefits our nations economy. If buying from China hurts us then why is buying from “Germany, Philippines, Japan” or any other country supporting out economy? Some of the companies you laid to buy stuff are not even American companies...

Go troll someplace else...buy what you want but don’t give advise or try to explain your position when guys are looking for real advise.

You’re not well educated if you are making decisions like this. Vortex is a US company that sells stuff that benefits our nations economy. If buying from China hurts us then why is buying from “Germany, Philippines, Japan” or any other country supporting out economy? Some of the companies you laid to buy stuff are not even American companies...

Go troll someplace else...buy what you want but don’t give advise or try to explain your position when guys are looking for real advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
The primary difference is that the Chinese do not give 2 hoots about patent or copywrite laws. They will steal the specs and sell it. They might even sell it using your name on the counterfeit product. There are some threads even here on SH that delve into this.
Further, the Chinese do whatever they can to sabotage the USA. Can that be said about Germany? Japan?
Please, enlighten me after you troll some sites seeking knowledge. I might even ask your adviCe once you are fully up to speed.
As far as Germany and Japan go, WWII comes to mind.

But again not relevant to discussion as Vortex is not a Chinese company.

Reactions: Aftermath
I am certain that a few squads would be well outfitted. Not everything is visible there and I have more than one safe and not everything has a spot in the safes.
You have a great collection there and I’m jealous of how organized your safe is. Mine looks like a fucking grenade went off in it. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get some rifle rods!

Notice that I have never once asked anyone nor told anyone nor adviSed anyone to not buy Vortex. I expressed my convictions on trying my damndest to never buy "made in China". I saw some Vortex stuff posted that was labeled made in Japan, etc. I can honestly say that I looked and saw "made in China" the few times I looked and, quite honestly, haven't looked again in quite some time. Go buy whatever you want and more power to you. I'll stand by my conviction of doing my damndest to NOT buy "made in China".

And as I said the cheaper lines are made in china as are many other companies cheaper lines but not all are. Not even most are. That is what I was trying to make you understand.

• Wow
And as I said the cheaper lines are made in china as are many other companies cheaper lines but not all are. Not even most are. That is what I was trying to make you understand.

Last edited:
Although I have several manufactures repped in m safe, this is my gang of reliables. I have no experience with their lower tier scopes, but the gen 2 razors are a solid choice. Vortex, NF, SuB, USO, Minox, Etc. You get to a certain level of quality and it’s all personal preference.

Attachments

• E18E6ACD-BBA2-452D-B3E0-9E558B6BB061.jpeg
    E18E6ACD-BBA2-452D-B3E0-9E558B6BB061.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
Notice that I have never once asked anyone nor told anyone nor adviSed anyone to not buy Vortex. I expressed my convictions on trying my damndest to never buy "made in China". I saw some Vortex stuff posted that was labeled made in Japan, etc. I can honestly say that I looked and saw "made in China" the few times I looked and, quite honestly, haven't looked again in quite some time. Go buy whatever you want and more power to you. I'll stand by my conviction of doing my damndest to NOT buy "made in China".
At the very least, I would hope that you would swallow your pride and admit you were wrong and admit Vortex is not a Chinese company.

My only beef with vortex is they nickel and dime your ass on a razor. Why the hell can it just not come with a scope coat or those shitty caps that they treat like gold. Dont even get me started on a branded switchview. Jokes on me I guess, I keep buying them and then keep buying all the shit that should be included.

Reactions: TACC
My only beef with vortex is they nickel and dime your ass on a razor. Why the hell can it just not come with a scope coat or those shitty caps that they treat like gold. Dont even get me started on a branded switchview. Jokes on me I guess, I keep buying them and then keep buying all the shit that should be included.
Same with NF NXS and SHV series. Same with the Swarovski's I have. Same for the Zeiss.

Working on getting my first big razor.
I own a 1-6 gen 1, and numerous PST Gen 1 and Gen 2 scopes.

Only had to use the warranty once, and total time down was 9 days. Great customer service to say the least.

The primary difference is that the Chinese do not give 2 hoots about patent or copywrite laws. They will steal the specs and sell it. They might even sell it using your name on the counterfeit product. There are some threads even here on SH that delve into this.
Further, the Chinese do whatever they can to sabotage the USA. Can that be said about Germany? Japan?
Please, enlighten me after you troll some sites seeking knowledge. I might even ask your adviCe once you are fully up to speed.
Not once, go read and try for comprehension, have I ever said to only buy American.

I can agree with this

Fuck China

I have owned 8 S&B PMIIs, hensoldt, multiple USOs and multiple NF(Not SHV) and none came with flip up caps or scope coats or switch views.

The Vortex AMG does come with Defender Caps. For the price of the Razors now at well under $2000 if you shop around, it's not a big deal to spend a little more if you want add ons.

Thats just it...the OP asked about Vortex yea or nay? You do not own Vortex, you know nothing about Vortex, and you are not here to give advise on buying a Vortex. You are here to toll and throw bait. 'Don't buy China'...I guess we better stop buying iPhones and Apple products, and just about 90% of consumer goods. Did you hatch this plan with Elizabeth Warren...BRILLIANT!

We are discussing Vortex...not your global socioeconomic views on China trade. I fly out of China monthly full of this crap. START A NEW THREAD...Frank just posted all the rules as a reminder:

2. Do not post off-topic. Please keep your comments consistent with the subject and purpose of the conversation thread. Deliberate disruption -- such as consistent off-topic commentary -- will not be tolerated.

BTW, nice safe

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCity73
I'm apparently a poor so my Razor is a gen I, but it has been a great scope for me since I bought it two years ago, before which time it was manufactured...in Japan.

I think they are comparable to other optics within their price range. A Strike Eagle won't have as nice of glass or be as durable as a Razor g2 LPVO, but durability at that price point is going to be somewhat in question regardless what you buy, and the warranty is good insurance in that case.

Last edited:
I have owned 8 S&B PMIIs, hensoldt, multiple USOs and multiple NF(Not SHV) and none came with flip up caps or scope coats or switch views.

The Vortex AMG does come with Defender Caps. For the price of the Razors now at well under $2000 if you shop around, it's not a big deal to spend a little more if you want add ons.
My nx8 and mk5 come with flip caps and built in switch views. I haven’t found razors under 2k you have a link? I need 1 more for my wife’s new 6creed

I'm apparently a poor so my Razor is a gen I, but it has been a great scope for me since I bought it two years ago, before which time it was manufactured...in Japan.

I think they are comparable to other optics within their price range. A Strike Eagle won't have as nice of glass or be as durable as a Razor g2 LPVO, but durability at that price point is going to be somewhat in question regardless what you buy, and the warranty is good insurance in that case.
Every match I’ve been too I’ll always see a few razor g1s.
My nx8 and mk5 come with flip caps and built in switch views. I haven’t found razors under 2k you have a link? I need 1 more for my wife’s new 6creed
Usually one or more in the PX

Every match I’ve been too I’ll always see a few razor g1s.

Usually one or more in the PX
I thought you meant new my mistake. I stand buy value for dollar in the razor though. I like it better than my nightforce nx8 for every feature except the stiff mag ring, nightforce moves like butter. The mk5 does to for that matter. Only the vortex is super stiff. It’s not that big of deal I suppose I usually set it at 18-20 and rarely move it throughout the day

You need to call vendors to get the deals. There is MAP pricing and they can not put up prices below that but can sell for cheaper.

And I never said no scopes come with any additional items. Some do. The Razor II doesn't. If $65 in caps and a switchview is the deciding factor then guess you got to go elsewhere. Lol

You need to call vendors to get the deals. There is MAP pricing and they can not put up prices below that but can sell for cheaper.

And I never said no scopes come with any additional items. Some do. The Razor II doesn't. If $65 in caps and a switchview is the deciding factor then guess you got to go elsewhere. Lol
I just complaining to complain. I own two of the g2’s so it doesn’t bother me enough lol

Lol sounds good. Definitely call dealers though to get the best price.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
I didn’t mean spare scope. I meant complete rifle. When I hunt far from home, you can bet your ass I have a second rifle ready to go. ?
I do know a guy who carries a few extra scopes with him when at competitions. I thought he brought them to sell, but nope, they’re “spares.” ?

I didn't take Vortex seriously until the Razor line came out. Now it's practically a benchmark in scopes. I think I read a great optics mind here stated that if their hefty weight is not an issue-there is really no reason to not buy a Razor (Gen 2).

Reactions: HolyCity73
I always think it's interesting when people say Vortex is just a company that sells a warranty, and that it's bad that when people have an issue they quickly get a replaced scope. Yet with other scope brands, esp. some of the recent new brands, they praise them for being so good about quickly replacing problem optics with a new one, instead of making them wait for a repair, or hassle.

In my mind I figure scopes have 3 options: 1) You put emphasis on the glass and not the mechanicals trying to hit a price point. 2) You put emphasis on the mechanicals and not the glass to hit a price point 3) you do both and don't worry about the price. For example to me Nightforce with much of its "lower" cost scopes put mechanical over optics. That said, I've seen plenty of posts the last couple years of issues with NF scopes, when it was basically unheard of before.

Then you have the buyers, most are foolish, you can't tall target test a scope in the store so all they can compare is the optics, so you have companies that are going to respond to that market trend. It's like when customers started wanting the tightest slide fit on 1911's and that was their "standard" for quality. Nevermind that it has nothing to do with accuracy and usually just causes reliability problems. I kind of put scopes like the PST 2, and others in this. Companies are cost cutting where they can, QA is a tempting place to do that, as long as the extra returns don't cost more than the saved QA. Then you have "reviews" you can't trust them these days, you have paid/sponsored reps putting up reviews that are bought and paid for and saying bad things about competing products. I've been getting products on Amazon that are now coming with cards in them saying you can get 50% of the product cost back by gift card if you leave a 5 star positive review they even tell you not to mention that fact and will provide a sample review for you. It's now estimated that 30-50% of Amazon reviews are fake, I bet it's higher for some products.

Would I like a scope that's clearer, 20oz lighter, more reliable, and still $1750 like my 4-27 Razor 2's were. Sure, and if someone can tell me what scope fits that I'll happily sell mine and buy them. Mostly I just see the usual "the most expensive product is always the best, buy that" If someone made a $20,000 optic we'd have guys in here saying just "buy once cry once, you poors!". It's why we have $900 bipods, $600 scope mounts, and $2000 tripods.

I didn't take Vortex seriously until the Razor line came out. Now it's practically a benchmark in scopes. I think I read a great optics mind here stated that if their hefty weight is not an issue-there is really no reason to not buy a Razor (Gen 2).
Generally it’s the weight, like you said. What’s funny is that most guys that I know who have said that eventually add weights or fill to make their rig heavier.

Reactions: superde
Generally it’s the weight, like you said. What’s funny is that most guys that I know who have said that eventually add weights or fill to make their rig heavier.

Exactly! I laugh when I hear people complain about the extra 10 ounces over similar scopes on the 20+ pound rifles. Lol

Reactions: mike4045
In my experience if it is a Vortex that says Razor on it then it’s good to go. I have an AMG and like it alot. Had a Razor 1-6 and have had no issues with either one. I wouldn’t trust a Vortex that wasn’t a razor though as some others have stated.

My best advice to you OP is to get behind a bunch of scopes, including some of the different scopes from Vortex and judge for yourself. While scope mechanics are very objective, clarity is super subjective and it's all going to come down to what your eye likes. Me or instance I was not blown away by the 7-35 ATACR but loved the Razor and ZCO image. I will admit I'm a scope slut.

I’ve owned about 8x Gen2 Razors, 3x NF ATACR 7-35x, 1x K624i, and 2x PMs 3-27x. (Not all at once)
- Zero issues with the Gen2 razors.
- 1x ATACR new. dead on arrival due to zero clutch in operative.
- Both PM2s had parallax and one elevation issue.
- k624i CA was horrible and something was wrong with its eye relief.

Unless a company is giving you daily hand jobs, there’s no reason to ride their dick. But I get it, if you’ve had a few failed HIGH END products, then you have some justification to bash. But if you’re buying cheap shit, go fuck off somewhere else. We don’t care.

I’ve owned about 8x Gen2 Razors, 3x NF ATACR 7-35x, 1x K624i, and 2x PMs 3-27x. (Not all at once)
- Zero issues with the Gen2 razors.
- 1x ATACR new. dead on arrival due to zero clutch in operative.
- Both PM2s had parallax and one elevation issue.
- k624i CA was horrible and something was wrong with its eye relief.

Unless a company is giving you daily hand jobs, there’s no reason to ride their dick. But I get it, if you’ve had a few failed HIGH END products, then you have some justification to bash. But if you’re buying cheap shit, go fuck off somewhere else. We don’t care.
Right there with you. One SB has a funky parallax, 2x USOs dead on arrival, and one of my razors had to go back to be repaired. In the case of SB and Vortex the scopes were back on the gun in less than a week. USO was a joke and left me hanging for nearly 8 months.

Reactions: JB.IC
Get yourself a Nightfrorce ATACR FFP pricey but worth it you'll be admired by other shooters and you'll have more confident than ever.
Actually have both. Razor gen 2 with open center reticle and NF Atacr 5-25 Mil XT. One is on my .308 and the other on my .223. Razor is a tad brighter but the clarity and color rendition is a bit better on the NF. The Razor has way better parallax adjustment.

Actually have both. Razor gen 2 with open center reticle and NF Atacr 5-25 Mil XT. One is on my .308 and the other on my .223. Razor is a tad brighter but the clarity and color rendition is a bit better on the NF. The Razor has way better parallax adjustment.

NF has the worst parallax I’ve ever seen. I forgot to mention not only do i have two 7-35x ATACR, sold one 7-35x ATACR, and returned a 5-25x ATACR. Every ATACR’s parallax was garbage and the DOF sucks as well. The parallax is so sensitive that different times of day requires different parallax for the same distance. I have spent hours testing the parallax and i personally haven’t seen anything worse than the ATACR line.