• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are some good options to shoot CMP vintage bolt?

I don't know the rules for vintage bolt action rifle competition for the CMP but I've had a few Swedish Mausers in the past in 6.5 X 55 that were just as accurate than my 1903 Springfield rifles.

I'm still crying over having to sell them.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I immediately think of a Springfield 1903 but what are some other good options?

Which are the better ones?

IMO, the peep rear sight on the M1903A3 is typically much better for competition that the earlier M1903 rear sight - at least for some middle aged guys who can no longer focus as well on the small rear notch of the original M1903 rear sight. I see some good shooters use that platform at CMP vintage matches. It has easily adjusted windage settings and you can buy a new Criterion barrel for them, which may outperform an old WWII era barrel. So that is one is a solid recommendation (see bottom rifle as an example and note placement of rear sight).

The M1917 with its 26" barrel is another good choice, but windage is not field adjustable on that rifle. I've seen some guys do well with these rifles, and one day I plan to use my Remington M1917 in a vintage bolt action match. (top rifle in the attached pic) Match ammo in 30-06 is easy to find.

Some serious competitors use the Swiss K-31 rifles, which have good accuracy potential even with surplus 7.5 Swiss ammo, but I think re-loading is probably advisable if one uses this platform a lot for competition. (not shown) https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/getting-started-cmp-competition/

As another member noted, the Swedish M/96 or shorter M/38 rifles are also accurate rifles, but the rear sights are not that great. (middle rifle) Match ammo is available in 6.5 Swede, but you have to hunt for it, as the supply of surplus M/41 ammo has pretty much dried up at this point.

So those are my suggestions. (I typically use my M1 Garand at CMP vintage rifle matches, and my M1903 w/ 8x scope for vintage sniper match)

Attachments

• M1917_M38_M1903A3_group.JPG
    M1917_M38_M1903A3_group.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A and FatBoy
I don't know the rules as far as sighting systems go. If you can run the diopters, the K31 is a good choice. Otherwise M1903 or M1903a3.

I'll echo the above, M1917 has nice sights but no windage. Swedes shoot great, but the sights are mehh. No.4 mk1's maybe viable if you can get one that shoots good, but again, no windage.

If you can run the diopters, the K31 is a good choice. Otherwise M1903 or M1903a3.

You can't use the match diopter sights in vintage bolt rifle competition - otherwise you'd see all kinds of crazy un-issued sights on those old military rifles...

Reactions: Ledzep
Best option is a large gun show with a lot of militaria where one can inspect it before purchasing, but otherwise its searching on gunbroker:

(CMP ran out of surplus 1903A3 years ago. I think the last batch came from Greece many years ago). They do pop-up on the CMP forum for sale by individuals, and price is often better than seen on gunbroker: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Last edited:
There have been come 1903s and 1903a3s in the CMP stores of late...monitor the CMP forums and look for Store Reports. 3 walk up stores, CMP north at Camp Perry, South at their main facilities In Anniston, and the Marksmanship Park. No mail sales as they say they do not have enough. I “hear” many of these are American Legion turn ins.....

Best option is a large gun show with a lot of militaria where one can inspect it before purchasing, but otherwise its searching on gunbroker:

(CMP ran out of surplus 1903A3 years ago. I think the last batch came from Greece many years ago). They do pop-up on the CMP forum for sale by individuals, and price is often better than seen on gunbroker: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89

They do have them, as HarryBC indicated.

There have been come 1903s and 1903a3s in the CMP stores of late...monitor the CMP forums and look for Store Reports. 3 walk up stores, CMP north at Camp Perry, South at their main facilities In Anniston, and the Marksmanship Park. No mail sales as they say they do not have enough. I “hear” many of these are American Legion turn ins.....

The last mail order batch I remember was in 2013 or so, also veteran's orgs returns. I got a 1903a3 from that push, which was a beautiful 1+/1+ all matching remington.

This current batch has colossal variances in condition (particularly bore condition). I have seen where people landed 0+/0+ or similar M1903s with original barrels.....but the majority have seen decades of corrosive blanks, with all that entails. The actions on many have been cycled about 2 million times without lubrication, and some are in badly-inletted (non-arsenal) replacement stocks.

I have bore scoped a 1903 MK I that came from the current group- this image of the moon's surface looks a little better than most of it:

ipthvWS.jpg