• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What are vendor to dealer wait times now? Form 3s?

karb

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Dealer charged my CCard first week of feb, said order was placed for sparrow through Maj Mal. Days before charging me. The 3-4 week form 3 transfer I was told is going on 3+ months now. What could possibly be the cause of this? Dealer is just shrugging it off on ATF backlogs. If I was told months for dealer to get it, I would not be concerned.

Re: What are vendor to dealer wait times now? Form 3s?

Do you know the serial number? If so just call atf and boldy ask for an update. If they don't have it pending in the system then you know what to do.

By the way i have purchased several cans from major and his form 3 aps have always been timely.

It depends on the suppressor manufacturer as well and if the distributer has the suppressor in stock.

I have thenumber of the can because I requested it from the dealer, verifying it was purchased from Major. The dealer has Not contacted me that the form 3 arrived, or the can was in his hand, Nor has my check cashed. Would I be able to get status of form 3 by calling ATF, even though I'm not the dealer that submitted? I'm only the end user..form 4

Dealer told me Maj had the sparrow 22 in stock, so ordered from there.

My F3 took around 3.5 months, now the long wait begins...
eek.gif

form 3's were taking about 3 weeks... NOW??? I've had em take over 2 months.

Most of my form 3's have been around 10 weeks and I charge my customers at the time they place the order. If I don't its tough to make any money on them where they take so long to complete.

How does when you charge a customer affect profit?

I placed a order with Major Malfunction around the 5th of March for 2 SWR Spectre II's that were supposed to be in stock and, last weekend I got a e-mail with copies of my F3's that were submitted then. I also had nearly 60 items transfer in from a 07 (manufacturer) that took right at 60 days from the time they were submitted to the time I got them back.

If Major had them in stock you should have it any day if not already, if its not in stock, it might be a while.

It's been 90 days since the dealer ordered the sparrow from Maj. Mal.
Dealer said in email that silencerco was out of stock, so he ordered
From Major.

Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....
His wait times were 3-4 months at one point and I believe they had a talk with said examiner and told him to get going a little faster.

I had two suppressors held up with him for nearly 5 months at one point. But it's not Bryan's fault, thank your NFA Branch.

I have 8 form 4's going pending to licensee any day now. Guess I'm about to find out how good the PA examiner is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cleric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does when you charge a customer affect profit? </div></div>

Cash flow. I assume the dealer has to pay for the can upfront as well. How can you restock your inventory if you are floating the consumer. Also if you did not get paid upfront then I am sure you would have peole with buyers remorse to deal with. If you were sitting on a pile of cash it might not matter as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....
His wait times were 3-4 months at one point and I believe they had a talk with said examiner and told him to get going a little faster.

I had two suppressors held up with him for nearly 5 months at one point. But it's not Bryan's fault, thank your NFA Branch. </div></div>

Who submitted the form 3 to atf so my dealer could get it? Major, or my dealer?
Your statement confuses me, unless you're just saying major is swamping the examiner -to get cans from manuf. To himself-.
I think I stated before that the dealer said MajorMalfunction was chosen- Because they had a sparrow in stock-.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC in Va.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....

I had two suppressors held up with him for nearly 5 months at one point. But it's not Bryan's fault, thank your NFA Branch. </div></div>

Who submitted the form 3 to atf so my dealer could get it? Major, or my dealer?
Your statement confuses me, unless you're just saying major is swamping the examiner
-to get cans from manuf. To himself-.
I think I stated before that the dealer said MajorMalfunction was chosen- Because they had a sparrow in stock-. </div></div>

You sure you know what you're talking about?

Your dealer calls another dealer to get a suppressor, correct?
Major Malfunction is that dealer and he transfers to your dealer via Form 3, there is a wait time.... His dealers name is Shipman, who is notoriously very very slow.

Your dealer then transfers it to you and then you have another wait. Dealer to dealer transfers are still done by the same examiners we as individuals get in the form 4 process.

Thanks for clarifying.
I would of never known about shipman if I hadn't posted.
So The dealer to dealer forms are handled with expediency huh? Lol

Nope, not as of lately. They are going slower and slower. I remember back when Form 3's took 11 days, sometimes less. And it was 7 weeks door to door on the form 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC in Va.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for clarifying.
I would of never known about shipman if I hadn't posted.
So The dealer to dealer forms are handled with expediency huh? Lol </div></div>

It depends on who the examiner is in your state. My form 3's are taking 3 weeks from Dana Pickles. Ive ordered stuff from other states and the form 3's are taking 6 or 7 weeks.

I personally think its bad business for a dealer to take a customers money if he doesnt know for sure if an item is in stock. Some of this stuff is backordered for months. If your dealer called the distributor and was lied to about availability, then shame on that distributor. If you dealer lied to you and didnt even call the distributor to check, then shame on him. In some cases its just better to buy from a dealer that actually has the item in stock and then have it shipped to your dealer. Search the internet, there are tons of people dealing this stuff now. Buying out of state saves you sales tax, but then you have to pay your dealers transfer fees which will normally come close to offset one another.

I always try to buy in state when I can. But sometimes out of state dealers want to cut you insane crazy deals and you can't pass them up. I was offered a Surefire 762 Mini for $600.00 below retail. I could not pass that one up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, not as of lately. They are going slower and slower. I remember back when Form 3's took 11 days, sometimes less. And it was 7 weeks door to door on the form 4. </div></div>

shocked.gif

Fastest one I have seen was 60 days from sheriff signature to in my hands

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egraham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cleric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does when you charge a customer affect profit? </div></div>

Cash flow. I assume the dealer has to pay for the can upfront as well. How can you restock your inventory if you are floating the consumer. Also if you did not get paid upfront then I am sure you would have peole with buyers remorse to deal with. If you were sitting on a pile of cash it might not matter as much. </div></div>

Bingo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....

So if I'm waiting on Byron to get a can from SureFire you're telling me I have to wait another possible 90 days before he can ship it to my dealer? That's fucking awesome. I've been waiting over 3 months since there was a clerical error with still no can delivered to him yet, and now I'm looking at another 10 months between his form 3 and my form 4. Awesome... nothing like waiting over a year for my first can. He should at least pay me the interest he's accruing off of my $$$ just sitting in his bank account. If I had known he was having so many issues I would have paid the extra $400 for an in-stock local dealer. If Byron's having issues with severe delays on his examiners part then he should at least have the courtesy to warn dealers when he's taking the full amount up front on the expensive cans.

Mine are going thru about 45-60 days, Just got one back yesterday. Faxed to NFA branch 5Mar, just got it in hand 15May. Remember Vacation season is coming too, It makes it hard to run a business with this crap. Can't wait until they run the health care system too,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....

So if I'm waiting on Byron to get a can from SureFire you're telling me I have to wait another possible 90 days before he can ship it to my dealer? That's fucking awesome. I've been waiting over 3 months since there was a clerical error with still no can delivered to him yet, and now I'm looking at another 10 months between his form 3 and my form 4. Awesome... nothing like waiting over a year for my first can. He should at least pay me the interest he's accruing off of my $$$ just sitting in his bank account. If I had known he was having so many issues I would have paid the extra $400 for an in-stock local dealer. If Byron's having issues with severe delays on his examiners part then he should at least have the courtesy to warn dealers when he's taking the full amount up front on the expensive cans. </div></div>

That makes no sense at all. His name is BRYAN, not byron.... you might want to get that right when you address him.

How is it his fault? He cannot control Surefire NOR can he control the NFA examiner he has been assigned to. It's all determined by that one examiner how quickly they get the paperwork done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....Can't wait until they run the health care system too, </div></div>

you got that S*#T right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That makes no sense at all. His name is BRYAN, not byron.... you might want to get that right when you address him.
</div></div>

Um his name is Bryon, so you both may want to get that right when you address him.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Um his name is Bryon, so you both may want to get that right when you address him.
grin.gif
</div></div>

LOL

I dont call him either one since he told us he had items in stock and he did not..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How is it his fault? He cannot control Surefire NOR can he control the NFA examiner he has been assigned to. It's all determined by that one examiner how quickly they get the paperwork done. </div></div>

Lol... Byron, Bryan, Burt... whatever. How about M3 then. Since he doesn't pay enough attention to even know who his clients are I'll address him as the guy taking money and then when you call 3 months later wondering what's going on he acts like he's too fucking busy to deal with it, even though he wasn't too busy to take money upfront. And he's not my Wife, my Parents, or God, so I don't need to "address" him as if I should be grateful for his business.

Again, Hide veterans running to defend a person simply because of their past experience somehow negating another clients experience. We all know how many cans you've bought off Byron so your opinion of him is higher than most, but... He's a business and as of late he's taken the attitude that since he's only doing dealer to dealer he doesn't need to follow-up or do anything other than transfer the cans when he gets them. If I hadn't contact SureFire myself 3 months after the fact then the clerical error would have gone unnoticed for who knows how long. It's poor customer service when a dealer is apprehensive about contacting him since he apparently gets annoyed answering questions and doesn't feel he should have to, but he has zero problems taking the money up front...

BTW... read what I actually said KY. I didn't say the delayed times were his fault, but I complained about his lack of attentiveness or disclosure of what seem to be known delays. It's like a gunsmith taking all the money upfront then telling you 6 months when they knew from the beginning it would be 12...

As a general comment, most of our Form 3's out of Idaho are taking ~5 weeks.

We have seen some taking a little longer, so we called the NFA branch. We were told that the ATF has 30 days to mail the Form 3 back to us once they have signed/approved it.

I was pretty shocked to hear that 30 days (to hit the mail) was the metric they were evaluated on.

On a good note, our examiner (or the person in charge of outgoing mail) doesn't hold them longer than 1 week (usually).

A friend of mine has been waiting on a custom SN suppressor for almost 8 months and it hasn't hit the Form 4 portion yet.

Form 2 took 141 days (ooppss... uh we can't find it in the system)
Form 3 is now up to 88 days...

"Pissed" would be a nice term.

I doubt Form 3's are taking 3 months due to the ATF.

Probably, the manufacturer waited to submit the Form 3 (ie. the product wasn't ready yet)

Or the Form 3 was submitted and returned to the manufacturer and the manufacturer is holding it (ie. the product isn't ready yet)

On rare cases the Form 3's get lost at ATF or there is an issue with the application. Sometimes a misstyped name or address causes them to get delayed a good while and then they have to get corrected or resubmitted.

Re: What are vendor to dealer wait times now? Form

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How is it his fault? He cannot control Surefire NOR can he control the NFA examiner he has been assigned to. It's all determined by that one examiner how quickly they get the paperwork done. </div></div>

Lol... Byron, Bryan, Burt... whatever. How about M3 then. Since he doesn't pay enough attention to even know who his clients are I'll address him as the guy taking money and then when you call 3 months later wondering what's going on he acts like he's too fucking busy to deal with it, even though he wasn't too busy to take money upfront. And he's not my Wife, my Parents, or God, so I don't need to "address" him as if I should be grateful for his business.

Again, Hide veterans running to defend a person simply because of their past experience somehow negating another clients experience. We all know how many cans you've bought off Byron so your opinion of him is higher than most, but... He's a business and as of late he's taken the attitude that since he's only doing dealer to dealer he doesn't need to follow-up or do anything other than transfer the cans when he gets them. If I hadn't contact SureFire myself 3 months after the fact then the clerical error would have gone unnoticed for who knows how long. It's poor customer service when a dealer is apprehensive about contacting him since he apparently gets annoyed answering questions and doesn't feel he should have to, but he has zero problems taking the money up front...

BTW... read what I actually said KY. I didn't say the delayed times were his fault, but I complained about his lack of attentiveness or disclosure of what seem to be known delays. It's like a gunsmith taking all the money upfront then telling you 6 months when they knew from the beginning it would be 12... </div></div>

Here we go again. This has nothing to do with me being a forum "veteran". This has to do with me knowing the guy. How can he know every single person he has done business with when he deals in over 150k dollars worth of suppressor orders a month? That was BEFORE he went to being a stocking dealer to supply smaller stores.

You all forget that NFA game is about waiting. Then waiting some more. Oh wait..... you need to wait some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine has been waiting on a custom SN suppressor for almost 8 months and it hasn't hit the Form 4 portion yet.

Form 2 took 141 days (ooppss... uh we can't find it in the system)
Form 3 is now up to 88 days...

"Pissed" would be a nice term. </div></div>

Welcome to the ATF/NFA Branch! I have had 2 cans on order with AWC for months now. A certain employee was fired and he shredded a bunch of paperwork on the way out the door. Mine was in the pile he got to. So while they keep telling me "oh we are just waiting on the government" they are panicking to get the paperwork out and ask their examiner to hurry up because they screwed up not watching their employees carefully.

It happens, I deal with it and move on.

All I can say is we have gotten the past couple Form3s back in 6 weeks
mad.gif
I don't take money until we have the item in hand unless it is some one off special.

Here we go again. This has nothing to do with me being a forum "veteran". This has to do with me knowing the guy. How can he know every single person he has done business with when he deals in over 150k dollars worth of suppressor orders a month? That was BEFORE he went to being a stocking dealer to supply smaller stores.

You all forget that NFA game is about waiting. Then waiting some more. Oh wait..... you need to wait some more. </div></div>

And again KY, your experiences with the guy doesn't negate my purchase experience. I'm glad Byron's happy to actually provide you with customer service, but last time I checked it wasn't your $$$ sitting in Byron's bank account for a product he doesn't even have in-stock and he won't even look into when he will. He really acts like he could give a shit less about the small orders. The guy won't even take the time to look into orders that are taking abnormally longer to be filled to find out that there were clerical errors and the form 3 hadn't even been filed. I didn't order some rare can that only gets produced twice a year. It's a mass produced item that if I would have known would take over a year to actually get by going through M3 for a better deal I would have opted to pay the extra for a local in-store. Lesson learned I guess...

Again, DONT PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT ISNT IN STOCK!! If you do, then you are taking a risk.

If you dealer is demanding full payment up front, then find a different dealer. At the most, they should take a 20% deposit to order. Any dealer should have enough cash or credit on hand to order this stuff. Most are charging way above cost anyway, so what you or paying is nowhere near what they need to order the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, DONT PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT ISNT IN STOCK!! If you do, then you are taking a risk.

If you dealer is demanding full payment up front, then find a different dealer. At the most, they should take a 20% deposit to order. Any dealer should have enough cash or credit on hand to order this stuff. Most are charging way above cost anyway, so what you or paying is nowhere near what they need to order the can. </div></div>

+1 Agreed....hindsight is a bitch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You all forget that NFA game is about waiting. Then waiting some more. Oh wait..... you need to wait some more. </div></div>

And again KY, your experiences with the guy doesn't negate my purchase experience. I'm glad Byron's happy to actually provide you with customer service, but last time I checked it wasn't your $$$ sitting in Byron's bank account for a product he doesn't even have in-stock and he won't even look into when he will. He really acts like he could give a shit less about the small orders. The guy won't even take the time to look into orders that are taking abnormally longer to be filled to find out that there were clerical errors and the form 3 hadn't even been filed. I didn't order some rare can that only gets produced twice a year. It's a mass produced item that if I would have known would take over a year to actually get by going through M3 for a better deal I would have opted to pay the extra for a local in-store. Lesson learned I guess... </div></div>

Your whining about a transfer is falling on deaf ears. I waited 4 years for two AAC cans that were supposed to be out anytime, as they kept explaining to him. He kept waiting and so did I. This is a waiting game, get used to it. Have all my suppressor purchases been flawless? Hell no. Most have been far from it. I learned patience, understanding, and willingness to work with someone on a given situation a long time ago. Guns, especially in the precision field will teach you patience. If he still has the can, write him an email, followed by a phone call. He can't give you what he doesn't have approved. So if its that big a problem for you, cancel. Find another one. Or do what I do, blame the government for being unorganized and slow to do the job we pay them so dearly for.

Thru Bryon's efforts I did manage to get Serial numbers 5 and 6 of the suppressor we waited on for so long. I passed up number 5 for number 6 and I was happy. I always figure it as, one day I will have it in hand and thats all that can be done right now.

I bought one from Major Malfunction. It has taken 3 months for the Form 3 to even go pending. Sounds like it will be another month or two. Since placing my order with the Major, I bought a suppressor from another dealer and the Form 3 took 40 days mailbox to mailbox.

Hopefully, the Major can work with the NFA to fix his form 3 times. It is going to kill his business if it doesn't get fixed.

I am waiting on a form 3 to clear also. I ordered a 30ba from TBAC and the form was submitted 20MAR2012 and according to there website order status link it still hasn't cleared. Its been over eight weeks so far. All of my other applications have been on form 1/4's with my dealer, so I am unfamiliar with processes with form 3's. Is this the normal time frame for form 3's to clear now?

Based on our history of Form 3 delays and outstanding forms, the average is around 65 days for us now. Two years ago it was about 10 days.

I just got a suppressor from TBAC last week. The form 3 was sent to the ATF on March 5 by TBAC and signed off by the examiner on May 1. So, I was a little over 8 weeks on that one. Examiner in WY must be a little busy or slow as well. Yours should be coming anyday if you can go off that.

Also ordered one from a manufacturer in AZ at the same time and still dont have that one yet.

My TBAC was sent march 5th an pended march 19th. Dealer called yesterday (may 16) to say it was in! (form 3)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Major Malfunction got the worse examiner in the whole lot! Shipman.....

I bought one from Major Malfunction. It has taken 3 months for the Form 3 to even go pending. Sounds like it will be another month or two. Since placing my order with the Major, I bought a suppressor from another dealer and the Form 3 took 40 days mailbox to mailbox.

Hopefully, the Major can work with the NFA to fix his form 3 times. It is going to kill his business if it doesn't get fixed. </div></div>

As I said before, he has the worst examiner of the whole bunch. The guy was nearly fired for "losing" paperwork, and by that I mean shredding it. He still is slow!

You purchased a can recently from M3? How recent? Because as of January he stopped all sales to individuals so he could focus on being a stocking dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC in Va.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, DONT PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT ISNT IN STOCK!! If you do, then you are taking a risk.

If you dealer is demanding full payment up front, then find a different dealer. At the most, they should take a 20% deposit to order. Any dealer should have enough cash or credit on hand to order this stuff. Most are charging way above cost anyway, so what you or paying is nowhere near what they need to order the can. </div></div>

+1 Agreed....hindsight is a bitch</div></div>

Listen and learn...