• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

2423239C-19EC-45A4-9C5D-FBB6E8080073.jpeg

Ok guys I'm not "drinking" at 1500hrs....but this year's barrel proof EC just hit my likker store. I wanted a taste, is that wrong?
Smooth, deceptively so, definite burn, finish is....tannic? Oaky? For a 12 year ida figured the finish woulda been a bit sweeter maybe. What do I know...it's pretty good stuff and I'm not a snob.
Stout stuff. Tasty.
View attachment 7030585
I'm really enjoying this. Went back and grabbed another bottle. I also have B518 which is also more oaky in the spectrum vs C918 that was quite a bit sweeter. Personally I prefer the oak. Enjoy!

So to you cognac/brandy fellas out there: I'm a proficient Bourbon and rye drinker. I'm interested in branching out and trying a cognac/brandy looking for recommendations. Don't mind spending $60+.

Oban 14 in a Pike's Peak stainless tall shot glass...…. leave me alone. ;)

i-kHztwGx-L.jpg

Reactions: Mike 556
So to you cognac/brandy fellas out there: I'm a proficient Bourbon and rye drinker. I'm interested in branching out and trying a cognac/brandy looking for recommendations. Don't mind spending $60+.
A really good cognac for people who want an intro to the spirit could do a lot worse than Remy Martin 1738. It's smooth like silk pajamas smooth. Not overpowering, it's clean and has a classic palate profile.
I'm a bit of a snob on these things. I won't touch VS and VSOP is "depends". Too young for me. I prefer the flavor that age imparts so it tends to be at least XO in age or even "Extra" when so labeled. You may feel differently of course.
The major brands of Martell, Remy and Courvoisier are good starting points, easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
I'd really say the Remy 1738 though.

A really good cognac for people who want an intro to the spirit could do a lot worse than Remy Martin 1738. It's smooth like silk pajamas smooth. Not overpowering, it's clean and has a classic palate profile.
I'm a bit of a snob on these things. I won't touch VS and VSOP is "depends". Too young for me. I prefer the flavor that age imparts so it tends to be at least XO in age or even "Extra" when so labeled. You may feel differently of course.
The major brands of Martell, Remy and Courvoisier are good starting points, easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
I'd really say the Remy 1738 though.
Excellent thank you!

I spend a lot on Bourbon/American whiskey. I currently have a collection near 50 unique bottles. But this is my first experiment with Cognac, and I def don't have issue spend a fair chunk on a bottle if I deem it worthy. Thanks for you help!

Excellent thank you!

I spend a lot on Bourbon/American whiskey. I currently have a collection near 50 unique bottles. But this is my first experiment with Cognac, and I def don't have issue spend a fair chunk on a bottle if I deem it worthy. Thanks for you help!
You are most welcome.

Drinking Oban Little Bay from a cut crystal Glencairn glass, whilst sitting by my glass front wood stove. (Since I have no photo to share I figured I would describe the scene.)

Flashy pic, and I’m not drinking it right now.. but I’m less than a month from getting back to my home bar and let’s just say I’m a little excited
A1365139-7A53-4156-BC0B-7B37E389312D.jpeg

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Anyone here tried the American Honey, seen it a couple time but i don't know if its any good.

American Honey is no good IMAO.

My cousin always brings it to gatherings.

Of course I dont like Wild Turkey and kinda despise sweet with whiskey.

Right now I am drinking a darn good cup of jet black coffee. Hand ground in my burr grinder and a pour-over. Just a different kind of smooth.

I once did a taste test with 10 friends. Two got glasses of Courvoisier cognac. The other eight received glasses of Knob Creek Bourbon. All shots were neat. They all knew that somebody got the cognac. After ample tasting I asked them who thinks they are drinking cognac? Out of 10 samples, nobody got it right. Other than being a little sweeter the cognac and bourbon taste almost alike.

I once did a taste test with 10 friends. Two got glasses of Courvoisier cognac. The other eight received glasses of Knob Creek Bourbon. All shots were neat. They all knew that somebody got the cognac. After ample tasting I asked them who thinks they are drinking cognac? Out of 10 samples, nobody got it right. Other than being a little sweeter the cognac and bourbon taste almost alike.
That's really interesting. I've never tried cognac before but I'll be game to try this someday. From reading, even very experienced drinkers are often fooled when doing blind tastings.
I have hosted blind tastings where I put the same thing in twice. No one ever gets that and at times a person's opinion will be wildly different despite it being the same whiskey 10 mins later.

It happens. We are also wildly influenced by labels or what we "think" is in the glass.

I find blind tastings a good way of training one's palate. Also, the vessel one drinks out of will play a huge role in the quality of the taste. Rocks glass = no bueno.
Norlan or Glencairn = thumbs up.

At least for drinking neat.

Worth the wait?
Yes, the smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Sweeter than I expected, but not overly so.

I compared it side by side with my current bottle of Larceny. I got the Larceny for $30 and the Wellers for $65. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take 2 bottles of Larceny over the 1 bottle of Weller's. If you like wheated bourbons, I think Larceny is the best bargain going. Fortunately it hasn't caught on around here yet so I can get it anytime. The Weller's took me about 3 months to find.

Yes, the smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Sweeter than I expected, but not overly so.

I compared it side by side with my current bottle of Larceny. I got the Larceny for $30 and the Wellers for $65. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take 2 bottles of Larceny over the 1 bottle of Weller's. If you like wheated bourbons, I think Larceny is the best bargain going. Fortunately it hasn't caught on around here yet so I can get it anytime. The Weller's took me about 3 months to find.
I agree. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare come from the same mash bill (mash bill #1) as Weller. Different aging and proof of course.
If you enjoy the Weller, Eagle Rare will be up your alley and you'll find it appropriately placed between Larceny and Weller in price and taste.

I agree. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare come from the same mash bill (mash bill #1) as Weller. Different aging and proof of course.
If you enjoy the Weller, Eagle Rare will be up your alley and you'll find it appropriately placed between Larceny and Weller in price and taste.
That is interesting, because I just finished a bottle of Buffalo Trace and wasn't impressed.

Weller and Eagle Rare are different Weller contains wheat in the mash Rare does not. Larceny also contains wheat in the mash as does Pappy.

The regular Buffalo trace gets treated a little differently as it is the "entry level" and mass produced offering. Eagle Rare, the Weller line get hand picked barrels for further aging.