• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

Good evening fella’s,

E43C18B5-D30A-40A1-9027-CDC878BBC8BA.jpeg

Your 151 experience reminds me of when I was a teenager, we'd add 151 to our Icee. Icee is a southern brand of frozen slushy. Whiskey can be an acquired taste. It takes a quite a few to get past the burn of the alcohol, then you start actually getting and tasting the different flavors. It's amazing how some people can taste certain qualities and others can't. I like bourbon. Never liked tequila, but I found Adictivo and I think it's awesome.
Oh I'm well aquatinted with Icee.

Whataburger shake with a travel bottle of Ricura Rumchata is pretty good too as a teen, or adult. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: BLEE
Developed a taste for Pacifico while living in Sandy Eggo

There its 'the cheap stuff.' Over here on the east coast? Different story

M

Finishing off with a High West Campfire from Batch #3.
Tip, do not start a session with anything peated unless that is all you are drinking. I'd go as far to say the same goes for Mezcal as well.

Reactions: STex
Finishing off with a High West Campfire from Batch #3.
Tip, do not start a session with anything peated unless that is all you are drinking. I'd go as far to say the same goes for Mezcal as well.
Why?

Peat is overwhelming and lingering. It is all you will taste afterwards even if the follow on drinks are un-peated. Mezcal is also very heavy in the smoke phenol's.
I've had mezcal, guessing peated wouldn't be the ideal beginner drink.

I've had mezcal, guessing peated wouldn't be the ideal beginner drink.
If you didn't care for it then no. Peat is very much a love it or hate it flavor. Very much like the remnants of a fire.

There can be other flavors that are reminiscent of plastic or rubber besides the smoke. With peat I tend to get a bit of the same plastic scent as you would from band-aids. It isn't offensive to me but is to others. With Mezcal is more like a old tire or inner-tube for me, some get that from peated Scotch. I never have but it it is very prominent in Mezcal to me.

Reactions: akmike47
4 Roses does some damn good stuff,
not the rotgut of old,

meanwhile, finished a corner of Bulliet Rye, and now on my 3rd Laphroag Select,

Well killed the goat.
Was a fitting end in an old fashioned.
20221009_210511.jpg

Then noticed there was only a few cherries left in my homade jar so busted out some stagg jr 131 to to kill that jar off.

Was a fitting end to those whiskey soaked cherries and my nite.

Good nite gents .

Last edited:
Finishing up with a Kaniche XO Rum. It always reminds me of these:

125268-01_brachs-sundaes-neapolitan-coconut-candy-8lb-box.jpg

Reactions: 37L1
Busted.

Wife said time to knock off on the whiskey klankers.

I said only two , should not be a concern.

She dragged out evidence.
20221009_235302.jpg

Busted. 3 klankers down.

Fine I'll taper off with a beer.

I really like Abuelo rum. Have not seen the Centuria version before.
First time trying. I feel like we had a port finish and Ximenez finish also while on the island.
Ron Centenario 30 is one of my favorites. Costa Rican. Their 25 year and single barrel Real are nice too.

Finishing up with what I jokingly called my "Super Rye".

A vatting of 2oz pours of the following I put into a bottle in 2012:
Rittenhouse BIB DSP 354
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey Rye 101
Sazerac (at that time was truly 6 years old at minimum and tasted it)
Russel Reserve Rye 6 y.o.
Jefferson Rye 10 y.o.
Vintage Rye 23 y.o. (no the 23 isn't a typo)
Willett Rye 5 y.o. (this is from the green wax MGI/LDP selections)
Knob Creek Rye
High West Double Rye
High West Rendezvous Rye (I didn't note the batch numbers on these 2)
T.H. Handy Rye (2011 BTAC)
High West 16 y.o. Rye
Sazerac 18 y.o. (2012 BTAC)
2 years later when bottle was 1/2 full added 2oz of Col .E.H. Taylor Rye in 2014

The initial taste that hits you is the Vintage Rye 23, that much tannin is very hard to overcome.
After a bit of air it balances out.

At times the Solera bottle I maintain with the last pour of any Rye is better, but it is a "living" ever changing experience.

• Wow
Reactions: db2000
So we pay extra money for good single barrel whiskeys and then proceed to make a blend?

And most of the time we are scoffed at for simply adding an ice cube.

Mixing up the gene pool.

Brings it all down to lowest common denominator.

Incredible. Amazing flavor and finish for an 86 proof bourbon. It’s ten year age stated so it was distilled as late as 1959. I bought the remaining six ounces and took the decanter home.
Congrats! A very rare bird given was made before this happened:

Opened one of my remaining Col. E. H. Taylor BIB Straight Rye's from the original release. These were supposed to be annual like the BTAC but only ever saw it a few times after that.

Is a lot drier than the 6 yo Sazerac from that time frame, that stuff was like Anise flavored candy. The current Sazerac is a lot younger and less flavorful. You'd not know this was 100 proof drinking it.

Finishing up with what I jokingly called my "Super Rye".

A vatting of 2oz pours of the following I put into a bottle in 2012:
Rittenhouse BIB DSP 354
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey Rye 101
Sazerac (at that time was truly 6 years old at minimum and tasted it)
Russel Reserve Rye 6 y.o.
Jefferson Rye 10 y.o.
Vintage Rye 23 y.o. (no the 23 isn't a typo)
Willett Rye 5 y.o. (this is from the green wax MGI/LDP selections)
Knob Creek Rye
High West Double Rye
High West Rendezvous Rye (I didn't note the batch numbers on these 2)
T.H. Handy Rye (2011 BTAC)
High West 16 y.o. Rye
Sazerac 18 y.o. (2012 BTAC)
2 years later when bottle was 1/2 full added 2oz of Col .E.H. Taylor Rye in 2014

The initial taste that hits you is the Vintage Rye 23, that much tannin is very hard to overcome.
After a bit of air it balances out.

At times the Solera bottle I maintain with the last pour of any Rye is better, but it is a "living" ever changing experience.
isnt there a name for this? I’ve seen those “whiskey tribe” douchebags talk about it.

isnt there a name for this? I’ve seen those “whiskey tribe” douchebags talk about it.
When you mix a bunch of "straight" whiskey or single malts in the scotch world it is a "vatting", although the scotch folks now call it a "malt blend".

A "blended" whiskey varies on the country. In the U.S. it is a mixture of straight whiskey and GNS; grain neutral spirit, basically vodka. For Scotch a single malt and a grain whisky (something not made from malted barley). In Canada it is usually a mix of the various rye formulas and GNS. In Japan it is usually what is a "malt blend". Other than being made in Japan, Japanese whisky is Scotch as to its composition.

There is also what is called a "Solera" which is more common in the wine and rum world. It is a living mixture where younger product is added but the original base may be ancient. I do this with the last pour of any bottle (based on type); Rye, Bourbon, Peated or Un-peated Scotch, Rum, Tequila.
It is ever changing based on what goes into it, sometimes outstanding, other times mediocre. It isn't about the destination or repeatability on that, is about the journey.

ETA:
If a producer were to sell what I described with my "super rye" it would be a "Straight Rye" as everything in it meets that legal classification. If they were to apply an age statement to it, they would have to use the youngest thing used, in this case 4 years old. You can see why no one would given was stuff way older; 5, 6, 10, 12, 16, 18, 23 years in it.

...If they were to apply an age statement to it, they would have to use the youngest thing used, in this case 4 years old. You can see why no one would given was stuff way older; 5, 6, 10, 12, 16, 18, 23 years in it.
A few years ago, Compass Box made a 3-year old special edition malt blend and marketed it as a sort of raised finger at the somewhat arbitrary rules of the Scotch Whisky Association. It consisted of older Clynelish and Talisker single malts with the addition of 4/10 of 1 percent 3-year old Clynelish, hence the age statement. They described it as being "a very precocious 3-year old." It was damned good stuff too.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Just got a bottle of this. I’m not a big tequila fan but this stuff is amazing
Interesting that these super delicious tequilas have additives like color, flavors, etc. Designed in a lab.
I have a list of non-additive tequila. One of my faves is Jose Quervo De La Famiglia Extra Anejo. It supposedly is no additive. Hard to trust anything from Mexico 🤣

A few years ago, Compass Box made a 3-year old special edition malt blend and marketed it as a sort of raised finger at the somewhat arbitrary rules of the Scotch Whisky Association. It consisted of older Clynelish and Talisker single malts with the addition of 4/10 of 1 percent 3-year old Clynelish, hence the age statement. They described it as being "a very precocious 3-year old." It was damned good stuff too.
They did one called "The Last Vatted Malt" right before the rule change as well.

Reactions: rhsc
one finger of Eagle Rare before heading out to shop for an nice bourbon or whiskey for a dinner party- any advice for something great with a heavier clove or anise flavor? I vaguely remember an Old Elk sour mash that was in that ball park?

Reactions: Snuby642
Well the Eagle Rare, love if for a mild strait up sipping whiskey.
Have not drank any this summer because ice washes it out too much for me.
20221013_183714.jpg

I have gravitated to the dark side of barrel proofs etc.

Anyway if spice is what drives your desire maybe you should try a high proof rye.

Too many out there to list but single barrel / barrel proof rye has all the spice I crave.

Last one I killed recently was Prideful Goat, and shopping for more.

20221009_210511.jpg

This type of drink has killed anything less than 94 proof for me and any blended junk.

Reactions: oinco
Getting into the good shit.
Rocky Fucking Top!
Eat shit Tide.
Lot B’s not bad.
Next up 2019 BTAC collection.
B2418F78-A7DA-4916-B702-290A52F8B26F.jpeg

Just tore into some Michters 10yr Rye and absolutely love it. To fucked up right now to post some pics but damn is it hitting the right spot

Probably had 9-10 different pours tonight…

Let’em rip guys

Only the finest vintage.

45402642-E84B-4B47-9C21-E1E8FE0E032B.png

Still 99¢ and goes down smooth.

Purple draaaank. I am dubious of the "ALL NATURAL" claim on that label though.
Yeah, that’s bullshit but and ice cold one sometimes hits the spot. Pairs well with a nice New York pizza. *Italian finger kiss bullshit*