• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

I also like some good beer as well.....since all the bars are closed I’ve been jonesing for my favorite brewery’s porter named after the bar I’ve sat in for years and used to work at, the “9lb porter”. So I grabbed a growler of that and a deuce deuce of this dark heavy and high octane (10.1%) stuff.

In Georgetown on S Airport Way?! I used to deliver Maritime Pacific beer there. Well not just 9 lb, all over the Puget Sound. I always liked that place.

Reactions: el-wood
Tonight's selection
20200502_184234.jpg

I'm afraid I only have a dram or two left in my bottle
Our local go-to store only had two bottles left.... I'm pretty sure my long time varmint hunting buddy secured them. ;)

He typically has two of every Pappy's in his cabinet and he bought the 1920 on my recommendation and brought me a bottle for my birthday. We sampled it together for the first time, he was raising the shot glass to take a sip and stopped and said "OMG this has a wonderful nose!" A day later I told him in all honesty I don't think any of the Pappy's have this much character and he agreed. I went to the store and bought two bottles and told him one of them was his Happy Retirement bottle.

To each their own, but the 1920 is pretty damn special.

Our local go-to store only had two bottles left.... I'm pretty sure my long time varmint hunting buddy secured them. ;)

He typically has two of every Pappy's in his cabinet and he bought the 1920 on my recommendation and brought me a bottle for my birthday. We sampled it together for the first time, he was raising the shot glass to take a sip and stopped and said "OMG this has a wonderful nose!" A day later I told him in all honesty I don't think any of the Pappy's have this much character and he agreed. I went to the store and bought two bottles and told him one of them was his Happy Retirement bottle.

To each their own, but the 1920 is pretty damn special.
The 1920 is damn fine bourbon. No question. However, I still prefer my Pappy's. I like wheated bourbon. (Except Makers)
I'll be able to drink a lot more of the 1920 though.

Reactions: Sieg
The 1920 is damn fine bourbon. No question. However, I still prefer my Pappy's. I like wheated bourbon. (Except Makers)
I'll be able to drink a lot more of the 1920 though.
I'm with you on Makers, it has never appealed to my pallet.

Just finished an Old Fashioned I made up myself.

4 oz of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

2 Tsp sugar (was feeling a little sweeter drink this evening)

3 dashes of Angostura Bitters

Orage peel express/garnish.

Love me some bourbon :)
Replace the sugar with a bar spoon of real maple syrup....best version ever.

bench

In Georgetown on S Airport Way?! I used to deliver Maritime Pacific beer there. Well not just 9 lb, all over the Puget Sound. I always liked that place.
That’s the spot, Georgetown brewery definitely makes my favorite beer. It also doesn’t hurt that Manny and Roger are really cool guys too. The 9lb hammer is a great bar, I love the bartenders, the patrons and looking forward to the day I can go back and hang out with them again. However tonight, it’s this bottle and my favorite cheap store bought beer....vitamin R.

C3DDA4E9-DE5B-4DA3-B169-19E64BC2A7B1.jpeg

Reactions: Kamerad
Having this one today, good entry level scotch, smooth easy drinker. Got this bottle for $37.99, a good value.
15888007937326220727866225692396.jpg

Reactions: shadow608
Glendronach 12 yr sherry cask finish single malt. Has been my favorite for a number of months. $38.00 @ Total Wine $ Costco. Bevmo sells it @ $60.00. Has a good finish.

I felt like a “Michelada” today. Choice of beer is on you, but I’m drinking my favorite which is Stella Artois. So I ran a fresh lime around the rim & salted the shit out of it w/ lime beer salt. I also threw a bit of chile-limon beer salt in the bottom of the glass as well as a fresh slice of lime & poured sloooowly. This shit is pretty badass & don’t talk shit til you’ve tried it.

Attachments

• E083E98D-837F-49D6-B233-FFB3FB5E4918.jpeg
    E083E98D-837F-49D6-B233-FFB3FB5E4918.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 100
  • D65AF7C0-C785-41AC-AE10-2A71AE869D9B.jpeg
    D65AF7C0-C785-41AC-AE10-2A71AE869D9B.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: STex and mzvarner
I polished off my bottles of both Old Grand Dad 114 and Old Forester Prohibition.

@Soulezoo ... You know about the Schlitz? Since they tracked down the old brewmasters and returned to the pre 60's formula.... good straight up beer.

@Soulezoo ... You know about the Schlitz? Since they tracked down the old brewmasters and returned to the pre 60's formula.... good straight up beer.
Yes, I know the history and their return, what has it been, 8 or 9 years now?

For the younger folk who don't know, Schlitz was at one time the largest selling beer in America. Yes, bigger than Bud. Then in a cost cutting move, they changed the recipe and it went over just like new Coke did. Except it drove Schlitz completely out of business. Anyway, they attempted a return using the original recipe, but far too little, too late. And with all the craft beers on the market now, it didn't stand a chance. Unfortunately, when you find it, it will be next to Olympia, Hamm's, Brown Derby..... you get the picture.

On edit: I am old enough to remember the white can and gold can (depicted above) and you used the old triangle style can opener to drink it.

Reactions: gunjunkie45

For the younger folk who don't know, Schlitz was at one time the largest selling beer in America. Yes, bigger than Bud. Then in a cost cutting move, they changed the recipe and it went over just like new Coke did. Except it drove Schlitz completely out of business. Anyway, they attempted a return using the original recipe, but far too little, too late. And with all the craft beers on the market now, it didn't stand a chance. Unfortunately, when you find it, it will be next to Olympia, Hamm's, Brown Derby..... you get the picture.
Basically correct except y

Basically correct, except leaving out the inlaw inherent that cheapened the recipe because he was afraid to compete. At any rate it's a really good basic beer again but limited to select markets. I think they only sell it in 4ish states, even after a few years.

If you really want to take the fun out of it, Schlitz is owned by Pabst, who is owned by by a Russian conglomerate, that contracts brewing through Miller, that sold out to Coors , that's owned by Imbev...

Back in the early 80's when I would walk to school with my buddy Todd, we would stop at Wiess's pub, they opened at 7 am and had two Schlitz for a dollar.

Tonight I am having some 1792 Full Proof. You know it's full proof from the BIG Kentucky Hug. Good flavor and stands up to ice. Vanilla, caramel and brown sugar on the nose but you can smell the ethanol heat. Longish finish. Molasses, baking spices, nuttiness on the palate. Definitely recommend a little water or an ice ball for best experience.

Tonight I am having some 1792 Full Proof. You know it's full proof from the BIG Kentucky Hug. Good flavor and stands up to ice. Vanilla, caramel and brown sugar on the nose but you can smell the ethanol heat. Longish finish. Molasses, baking spices, nuttiness on the palate. Definitely recommend a little water or an ice ball for best experience.

Just picked up a 1792 small batch the other day. I've only had a couple pours, but so far i really like it, especially for the price.

WTF is up with the color? I'm a scotch drinker and have never run across anything that looks like that. Do they dye it just to have a distinctive look or something?

I Imagine it is due to aging in tawny port casks.

Today is a hot one here. Fixed up a Vesper Martini. Correctly made except for the olives instead of lemon twist.
20200509_143800.jpg

Trying something different today , cognac. This one was $39. I like it, smooth, warm middle and a mild finish. Probably won't buy again, but it's fun to try different things.
15892324665259087395156554634646.jpg

Reactions: shadow608
Trying something different today , cognac. This one was $39. I like it, smooth, warm middle and a mild finish. Probably won't buy again, but it's fun to try different things. View attachment 7323371
Tried a version last year. Was from a different area of France, started with an A. Was wonderful. Was like a light bourbon.

Drinking Four Rose's single barrel today. Very good middle shelf bourbon that doesn't break the bank. This cask has a lot of vanilla, which I like.

Just poured a Brainless Raspberries Belgian ale from Epic Brewing. I don’t drink often, but when I do it’s going to be something damn well worth it

Reactions: FatBoy
If Veer was here to have a drink tonight I wonder what he might have and what it would be paired with food wise?

A sip for Veer....

Reactions: The D
If Veer was here to have a drink tonight I wonder what he might have and what it would be paired with food wise?

A sip for Veer....
I’m new so pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Veer?

Reactions: FatBoy
I’m new so pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Veer?

Veer was a member here until his recent passing. A conscious some days, a decenting voice some day, but a wicked linguist and from all account one hell of a cook. He was fun to read, even when he was calling you a shitbird. You should look him up. VeerG.

Reactions: The D
Veer was a member here until his recent passing. A conscious some days, a decenting voice some day, but a wicked linguist and from all account one hell of a cook. He was fun to read, even when he was calling you a shitbird. You should look him up. VeerG.
Right on 🍺

Reactions: BadDogPSD