• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what are your thoughts on boots?

I'd say if you have a large retail outdoor store near you like a Cabelas, REI, or such then go and try on every single boot they have and walk around while wearing the same weight socks you are going to in the field. Just like several folks have chimed in above; mass produced boots....even the good european built ones all have inherent characteristics that set them apart from other models and brands. Buy the best boot that you can afford that fits your foot. I've bought lots of expensive boots online that turned out did not match my foot; I've also got especially narrow feet and I've battled high quality boots that developed hot spots around my heel cause of the way I'm built...not from the craftsmanship or materials of the boot. Take all of the brand names mentioned about with a grain of salt until you find one that truly fits your feet...then buy two pairs even if they cost $400. Cause there is a good chance the manufacturer will eventually change them.

my statement was incorrect, it's an authorized boot. and my reason for mentioning the "issued" is asscrackistan tends to destroy boots. and they are probably issued for a reason. but they are just authorized. but salomon shoes always fit me real well.

My point was vague, and should be, when it comes to boots, its not a one boot fits all. Just because a unit or branch of the military uses a boot, this does not mean its the best boot or more importantly, the boot that fits your foot the best. Just like recommendations on the web or in person.

I would say 99 out of 100 users or higher have never had a boot properly fit to their foot. They walk in and buy a recommended, coolest on the wall, what every one or unit is using instead of having someone with knowledge and skill sit them down and go through a boot fitting process to find and then fit a boot for their foot. It took me and my staff around 1.5 to 2 hours to fit a boot. I only dealt with high end hand crafted boots. Not really, I did offer a few mass produced hikers, trail and running shoes.

Military procurement is a beast of itself. I know the units in AK I dealt with at the time and their counter units from the states all wore Sportiva in Astan.

As for as boot treatment, hand crafted boots from Italy come with a care sheet, no additional or do not add additional treatment, the leather has been pretreated for permanent waterproofing and care. We are not talking Danners.

Astan for sure is hard to boots as is Alaska as are many environments with rocks, roots, water, silt, mud, and for those who wear them day after day. I guided or was in the backcountry 4 days a week for over a decade+ wearing and testing boots with Sportiva my primary boot.

i wish we had a big retailer close by, but we don't.

i know there is no "best boot for everyone" i was more looking for suggestions on what NOT to buy, and what boots had proven the test of time. i've had many different brands, and figured i'd could make an educated guess on what to get next.

the best fitting boot i've had is the kayland, but they won't hold up past a year. hopefully the asolo will work out.

I've had good luck with the Sportiva Glacier WLF. Heavy duty but not a heavy boot. Great support for rough terrain and heavy loads. I wear them all summer for firefighting (fairly abusive environment) and they hold up pretty well. I used to try and wear Whites. Nick's etc. but my feet and back just can't take that kind of abuse. Some folks can. I usually by two pairs at a time in case I get a blow out mid fire but that only happened once before they came out with the WLF version. True sizing from year to year and the Sportiva last fits my foot. I wear their climbing boots and approach shoes without any issues. Like others say, you should go for fit, not just by brand. Scarpa makes good boots but their last doesn't fit me, same with Salomon.

you should never "oil" leather, and a lot of boots today are made of synthetic material, with very little or no leather.
I use sno-seal which is a bees wax based waterproofer but there is nothing wrong with using mink oil for the same thing. If you keep a danner well oiled there is no reason they wont stay waterproof for as long as the boot doesn't have a whole in it. for me i can go about a year on a pair before the sole is wore out.

i forget what model my sportivas are, they are pretty good boots for sure, but the toe guard fully de-laminated at a year. and the ankle support is so-so.

i have a pair of danner elk hunters, i've had for years. i called them about 4 years ago to see what they recommended for water treatment, one of the R&D guys said nik wax aqueous, or anything water based. he said nothing oil based as it will accelerate the leather breaking down under load (walking). straight from danner, no oil.

I tried a couple pairs of the Lowa and could not find a proper fit , I am wearing Zamberlin boots now and have been very pleased

JW

ETA: A BIG +1 on buying 2 or 3 pairs and rotating them. I wear cowboy boots daily, and before I began buying multiple boots and keeping them in rotation, the insides/insoles would be fucked before a year. Now that I rotate, my 3 pairs are excellent after 5 years, though they should get resoled soon. Also keeps them smelling a lot better.

I think this is the ticket to boot survival. I would go through boots in 6 months to a year and they would generally look terrible. i would usually tear the inside lining which would curl and blister my foot or tear the shoe leather just above the sole somewhere. Once I bought two pairs and started rotating they have lasted a long time.

I now do this with dress shoes, hunting boots, and athletic shoes with great success.

Red Wings and Keens for my steel toed boots. Red Wings are better but heavier. Both made in America, which to me is extremely important.
Mountain climbing I have Sportivas. Light, rigid, durable, awesome.
Extended hiking I have Garmonts. Great too.

I tend to wear boots almost every day and my girlfriend calls them part of my uniform...to inlude a t shirt and baseball hat. I have been very disappointed with the 5.11 boots I have had over the past few years. New, they are very comfortable, but they don't last and I tend to blow seams after a few months. So I decided to see what else was out there. While reading No Easy Day the author mentions Salomon Quest boots. I owned a pair of Salomons back in the early 90s but moved to Asolos and La Spotivas since then. Figured I would check the Salomons out and all the reviews were very positive.

I then received my REI dividend for $50.00 and saw that they carry the Salomon Quest in olive/dark olive. I also realized it was the last day of the 20% off member coupon. The boots listed for $230.00, but the coupon and dividend brought the cost below $150.00...how could I pass that up? I have purchased quite a few boots online and find 9.5 fit me very well in most cases, so I placed my order.

A week later I picked up the Salomons at my local REI (free delivery to the store). From the first time I put these boots on I really liked them. Here it is a week later and like has become love. There was not much break in required, but the definitely fit better now that they have a few miles on em. They are light enough to wear all day but have great ankle support. If you are looking for I great lightweight boot, I can not recommend the Salomon Quests enough.

Last edited:
I have to put a vote towards Hanwag - I got the HanWag Special Forces GTX (Gore-Tex®) Boots and they're something special - walking round in deep mud is a lot easier with the tread that these boots have. They are so well insulated that I've stood in snow up to my ankles for a whole morning, and my feet have stayed warm.

The only downside to them is that they're fairly heavy (but the flip side with that is that they're sturdy and will probably end up outlasting you) and Hanwag don't do the zip type replacements that you can sometimes get to replace the tie ups.

The thing that I like about Hanwags is that (I live in UK - not sure about overseas) but if you ever wear the sole out, you can send it back to them and they're replace the WHOLE sole and send it back to you - nice !

I have to put a vote towards Hanwag - I got the HanWag Special Forces GTX (Gore-Tex®) Boots and they're something special - walking round in deep mud is a lot easier with the tread that these boots have. They are so well insulated that I've stood in snow up to my ankles for a whole morning, and my feet have stayed warm.

The only downside to them is that they're fairly heavy (but the flip side with that is that they're sturdy and will probably end up outlasting you) and Hanwag don't do the zip type replacements that you can sometimes get to replace the tie ups.

The thing that I like about Hanwags is that (I live in UK - not sure about overseas) but if you ever wear the sole out, you can send it back to them and they're replace the WHOLE sole and send it back to you - nice !

HanWag gets my vote as well. I also wear the Special Forces GTX at work and have had a pair of Yukons for 15 yrs and still going strong after very hard use. I am actually wearing the Yukons right now.

Bates M8 boots are tough as nails. I bought a pair for my last deployment wore them every day and I put hundreds of miles on them since. I bought a second pair just to have. The Vibram mutant sole is awesome!!!
I just bought a pair of Rocky C4T boots for the hot summer and they are comfortable, light weight and are keeping my feet cool so far. It has been in the 80's and 90's the past few weeks and I am glad I got them.
I put heat moldable insoles in all of my boots and it makes a HUGE difference.