• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What bases and rings for a hunting rifle?

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    I'm replacing the old scope on my 7mmRM and the new glass is a 30mm tube. The old scope was a 1" Vari-X 2 Leupy in a dovetail front and a windage adjustable rear (not sure who made the base, probably Redfield) I'm not really sure which way to go with rings and bases. This is a BDL with a sporter contour. I don't want to put a rail on it.

Re: What bases and rings for a hunting rifle?

1st post here on the hide,

I am in the same process of switching from a 1" to 30mm scope on my rifle. It is an all purpose rifle that im using for hunting as well. I went with a NF 2 piece base (not the full rail) and seekins med rings.

For reference the rifle is a sps-v LH cut to 20" in a mcm A3 stock.

-Marco

Sounds like you have a Leupold Standard base. I would stay with a Standard base, or a Dual Dovetail. This will preserve a clean classic look.

Chase B.

agree, sounds like a standard base from leupold, burris, millett,etc.

Any of the dovetail twist type mounds should fit that. I'd go with Millett, personally. They're rugged and inexpensive. Leupold will just charge you more money for the name without better quality.

If you really want a decent base and ring setup, go withe the Picatinny rail setup. There are more ring options when you do that and you can get MOA base if need for longer range (they have angle built in so you can use more adjustment in your scope)

just read the post again...MOA base no good.

They do make Picatinny 2 piece.

I am big fan of NightForce unimount. Easy to put the same scope on all my rails, turn the knobs and right on with no sight in. Completely repeatable. I am putting a direct mount on my hunting rig this weekend so do not have any time using it yet. Only works on Rem actions with 30 mm tube.

I'm inclined to go with the Millet double dovetail idea because I do like the way it looks. The clean lines work for me, I'm trying to avoid the "snipery" look with this rifle.

The more I think about it the more I think Millet is going to be the way to go.

This rifle is still in the wood stock, I'm sort of considering dropping it into a HTG just for ruggedness. Another mount option I'm considering is a 2pc rail and XTR rings, but it may be too much. They are about the only rail rings that have a somewhat rounded look. I'm mounting a Bushnell 3-12x44 on it.

For my hunting rifles I go with the Talley lightweights. The ones that are base and ring all in one. I like them alot. In a hunting rifle I don't want all the weight and bulk of a picatinny setup, nor do I need one for a rifle that's never going to go without a scope. Talley's are as light and simple as you could get. Nothing to align or mess with. This is assuming your screw holes are aligned properly, but all mine have been so far.

You should take a look at the Burris double dovetail & signature rings. With them you can make all the adjustments you need by changing ring inserts, they have a good grip, will allow for uneven mounts ,and the double dovetail is a solid system.

another vote for the Talley lightweights for your application

I am running them on a Nosler 280AI
    it uses the same base setup as a 700 action

I certainly wouldn't use them if I didn't trust them or thought there was a better setup for a lightweight hunting rifle.

An added bonus is they are very inexpensive.

Nosler-Trophy-Grade-28AI-picture1.jpg

a close up, one thing to note, they run a bit tall.
    This is the medium 30mm setup, Leupold Patrol 3-9x40, could have gone with the lower ones for clearance. I am going to put my Accupoint back on this with 1" and it may sit a tad lower

113.jpg

Gamereapers are a cheaper alternative to a nightforce unimount.

Hmmm, like the Talley idea, haven't ever looked at them before. With a 44mm objective the lows may be just the ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barrettshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should take a look at the Burris double dovetail & signature rings. With them you can make all the adjustments you need by changing ring inserts, they have a good grip, will allow for uneven mounts ,and the double dovetail is a solid system. </div></div>

+1

Just me, but I've always been a proponent of a single piece base, if available. One word, rigidity . . .