• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bullet for 1000 yards from a .260 Rem semi ?

stinkyDrunk

Sergeant
Banned !
Feb 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Recently picked up a GAP-10 in .260 Remington w/22" barrel. This is a new caliber for me. The seller of this rifle (bought from Hawk Driver here on SH, very good guy) threw in a box of Hornady 120 grn A-max pills. I will work up a load for these. But for 1000 yards, should I try anything else? I picked up a couple pounds of h4350 for this rifle, but I have a good stash of Varget and IMR 4064 too. Will be buying dies and other items from a vendor soon. Any bullet recommendations for me to throw in the virtual cart? Especially anything that plays well with Varget or 4064.

Michigan is not a great state for LR shooting, but I hold a membership at Young's 1000 yard range and would like to ring the 1K gong with this rifle.

All of the following bullets are pretty much the standard LR 6.5mm bullets and most any of them should work well in your rifle depending on mag length in relation to the jump to the lands. In that respect the VLD's will be the toughest to get to shoot the best typically, but most any of them should do well in that application.

Lapua 139 Scenar
Lapua 136 Scenar L
Sierra 140 SMK
Sierra 142 SMK (if you're good at finding unicorns)
Berger 140 Hybrids
Berger 140 VLD's (if you can load mag length close to/on the lands)

All of the following bullets are pretty much the standard LR 6.5mm bullets and most any of them should work well in your rifle depending on mag length in relation to the jump to the lands. In that respect the VLD's will be the toughest to get to shoot the best typically, but most any of them should do well in that application.

Lapua 139 Scenar
Lapua 136 Scenar L
Sierra 140 SMK
Sierra 142 SMK (if you're good at finding unicorns)
Berger 140 Hybrids
Berger 140 VLD's (if you can load mag length close to/on the lands)

Not bashing this post.. Just expanding on it...

You stated Semi... if it;s semi auto NONE OF THESE WILL WORK! AND 140 BERGERS DO NOT WORK RIGHT IN A STANDARD 260 REM CHAMBER - ITS NEEDS TO BE 260 TACTICAL CHAMBER!!

You need to run 130 gr bullets. or 139 lapua bullets. Lapua bullets are not as long as bergers so they should work well too... For most 260 chambers 130 gr bullets is what people need to shoot but they over look it because they all want 140ish gr bullets.. DEPENDING ON TWIST RATE of course... 1:8 is usually most common. if it is any slower than that twist rate 120gr bullets... 123gr AMAX would be good too, 129 gr Hornady too... JUST no 140gr or 142gr bergers and sierras..

ducks-and-bucks said:
You stated Semi... if it;s semi auto NONE OF THESE WILL WORK!

Why not?

I would think 130gr Berger VLDs would be more of an issue at 308 PMAG length than a 142 (and especially the 140) SMK.

Saying 140 or 142 matchkings will not work in his rifle is just fucn stupid. Everyone i know with a 260 semi being a dpms to a gap 10 has had great results with both. The only one that might be a problem is the berger vlds but you dont know until you try. Good luck with that rifle stinkydrunk.

Only issues I'd imagine you may run into would be with VLD style bullets, I doubt you'd be able to load them to where they will be close enough to the lands while keeping them mag length.

24" Lilja 1/8 twist Mega Maten build here. 142 SMK and 140Amax's are my go too bullets.

Although I'm still working up loads for my new Armalite AR-10 in 260 Rem, the Berger 140-gr. VLD is showing promise. I will be testing Lapua Scenar 139 and Sierra MK.

Rounds are loaded to mag length.

Richard

140s must be deep seated for a Pmag compliant COAL of ~2.810", but they still work.

I think 123amax and 123 scenar are generally a better choice though.

I've had great luck with the 123gr match kings in my DPMS LR-260. You can push them 200 fps faster than a 140gr, which translates to a good amount less vertical drop with minimal disadvantage in the wind.

I still wouldnt run berger 140s because i dont see that long bullet seating at the sweet spot in an AR... cant seat them long enough... thats why i say 130s... gives some room to play around with seating depths more with bergers.... i only have experiance with the bergers cuz thats what i run.. and i say no... the lapua bullets are shorter bullets though so there is flexability with them.

Found a box of Lapua 139s, will give those a shot. I like the idea of the 123 SMKs but can't find em anywhere. I've probably got a dozen email "in stock" notifications set up...crazy difficult to get some components nowadays.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Did not have good luck with H4350 and 140s or 142s in my auto .260, which is the given choice in bolt guns. Varget and Hunter were better powders and the 123s, 129s, 130s. I did not pop for the 139 Lapuas as I got significantly better accuracy with bullets in the 120 to 130 grain window than the 140 and 142. Heck, I had 107s that were better than the 142s out of the gas gun. Swap those over to the bolt gun and it changed a good bit. Most of this was based on shooting at 300 and 600 yards as I never went beyond 600 with anything heavier than 130 in the .260 gas gun.

I've can shoot a full size IPSC silhouette plate at 1,100 yds with 80-90% hit rate on a good day. My go to load for my 260 LMT MWS is a 140gr Amax bullet on top of 43.5gr of H4350 in a Winchester 7mm-08 case resized to 260 Rem with a Federal 210 primer. The bullet seated at mag length of course. I've had people get behind this gun that have never shot over 100yds and get first round hits. Basically, what I'm saying is the heavier bullet is more forgiving in the wind.