• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

I grab my tumbler while running and turn it upside down into a 5g bucket.

Ever facepalm so hard you spill a little coffee? I've been doing this wrong for years - I have the hornady case tumbler and I knew the little filter thing fit over a 5gal bucket and was roughly the size of the tumbler bowl but never put two and two together... I've been shaking it by hand and tapping brass together to get the bits of media...

Bit the bullet and ordered a henderson trimmer yesterday, today I'll finish the .223 I prepped and load up some 52gr berger targets over AA2230, with some for the chrono and some to test seating depth. I was running 8208 but my load produced quite a bit of crunch on seating and I think I had some 'grow' into the lands after sitting for six months...

I have not had any of the brass cleaning problems I read about on this thread since I went to wallnut pet media.

It is dusty when you get it but with the addition of mineral spirits and nu finish car wax that goes away.
The addition of a used dryer sheet traps dust and dirt.

The media is small enough to pass through flash holes / rarely sticks when tumbled long enough to flash off the mineral spirits. I pick up 5-6 cases at a time and tap them on the separator bowl twice.

When you put in a mix of spirits and wax 2 parts spirits to 1 part wax you let it distribute till clumps are gone then add brass and dryer sheet (I tie a knot in mine).

No big thing and no known problems.

20200928_220107.jpg

That is range pick up brass.

So I got my gear and started to clean a gun.

Magazine out, empty chamber, remove bcg.

Patch and brush rinse swish repeat, repeat, repeat.

Have a brew and repeat.
Still not satisfied, repeat.

How many times do I have to do this with a 223 brush in a 6.5g till I get it clean?

Lol

Reactions: camocorvette
Loaded a ladder test and three rounds corresponding to each charge.
IMG_3541.jpg

How many times do I have to do this with a 223 brush in a 6.5g till I get it clean?

Until the beer or carbon is gone, whichever happens first.

I made 6BR into 6BRA today. Then I popped them in the tumbler, and properly used the media separator when it finished. Way easier than tapping pairs of cases together...

I had had it and was putting the cleaning supplies up.

Cleaning rod was the last item and thats when I noticed the wrong brush size.

Mif. Tomorrow is another day.

Figured out that all my federal 223 range brass has stingy primer pockets.

So to get cci primers to seat the way they should they were reamed, swaged and uniformed.

Primers were coming out .0005 to .001 above flush.

Interesting that removed shavings from uniformed brass amounted to next to nothing but now they seat well in the dillon on a few test pieces.

Well my official 2 week quarantine started today.
GF tested positive for covid Friday. Fortunately her symptoms were mild and she is already feeling better. I am symptomless and in another stroke of fortune I get paid pandemic time to quarantine.

Scored 480 pics of once fired 300WM FGMM in the PX and it arrived today. Sorted through 3 head stamps (60, 254, and 166 pcs) decapped 200 and have them drying after SS tumbling.

Tomorrow I move the drill press into the basement to set up for uniforming primer pockets. Primers, RL22, and SMKs at the ready.

Maybe this covid thing ain't so bad after all. At least so far.🤞

Dug rice out of the flash holes out of 250 pieces of 223 brass

played with my new Forster bench rest Powder measure. Not sure I love it. If you are doing the same charge And never changing it I’m sure it’s fine, but getting it to the exact powder charge you want down to .1gr is a major pita. This thing has 0 fine adjustment making it a PITA dial the charge in perfectly

70EE3212-CA52-4819-A3FA-717407A21FD5.jpeg

threw charges and loaded those 250 rounds with a 77smk

23C80AAA-AF6F-42A4-8B4B-B462166EF1D2.jpeg

spent 30 min the garage and made this buttstock weight for my mdt chassis. Used 3/4” plate steel. Came out to 14oz. Did paint it black after I took the pic

B515D4F1-5EBA-4648-83DF-69F477BFE01D.jpeg
1DA922D0-055E-411F-AD73-063E2DFC7197.jpeg

I've been loading .45 auto the last few days. Win. range brass, 230 gn hp from Everglades ammo. 5.5 gn of Bullseye. CCI primers.

Wet tumbled my 30-06 brass I shot last weekend as well as a huge pile a range pickups in various calibers. I think I wore off my fingerprints match prepping all the brass.

Loaded up 10 rounds of a known good load. 135 Berger Classics over 43gr of H4350 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also let my son and wife help out at the bench some. She's excited because she gets to shoot her batch tomorrow, and it'll be her first batch ever. My son is nearly 4 so he's just excited to help in general.

Threw together 300 rounds of 9mm for the stockpile.

Pulled 124gr Hydra-Shok
Winchester Ranger brass w/ WSP
4.6gr Bullseye

Ever facepalm so hard you spill a little coffee? I've been doing this wrong for years - I have the hornady case tumbler and I knew the little filter thing fit over a 5gal bucket and was roughly the size of the tumbler bowl but never put two and two together... I've been shaking it by hand and tapping brass together to get the bits of media...

Bit the bullet and ordered a henderson trimmer yesterday, today I'll finish the .223 I prepped and load up some 52gr berger targets over AA2230, with some for the chrono and some to test seating depth. I was running 8208 but my load produced quite a bit of crunch on seating and I think I had some 'grow' into the lands after sitting for six months...

I've had the original Cabelas version of this for over 20 years.

Screenshot_20201110-204515_Chrome.jpg

Makes seperating the media a 30 second deal.

I've always looked at those, but also my biggest issue is getting the media out of the flash holes.
I've got an ultrasonic cleaner I use for parts, and some more boretech product on the way; so that's something I'm going to try instead.

Reorganized my small amount of shelving to accommodate my new caliber.. Still collecting bullets and everything else, too.

('M. F. S.' = Midway factory-seconds'.
They all look better than that in Midway's pic.)

Inventoried and sorted my dozens of powders to sell some...
...(had 29 bottle/jugs) and concentrate on what I might use.
2020Nov13_1040941_ARC reloading section_1500w.jpg
2020Nov13_1040942_Powder, upper_1500w.jpg

2020Nov13_1040944_powder, lower_1500w.jpg

My reloading room is my office.

Last edited:
Finishing a couple hundred rounds of 223 brass I had prepped.

Half allready walked out the door with my sons to the range.
Jesus it was still warm from the dillon.

Anyway a recently found free storage unit that holds 2 mags worth, 60 rounds.

20201113_132641.jpg

Wallmart dog food container.

How about freedom peanuts.
Will fit side pockets of ruck.

20201113_144112.jpg

Last edited:
I painstakingly loaded some .22 caliber ammo to go shoot at ~1k yards 'cause some DB called me out on my obsolete cartridge sucking for long range:
tumbled brass
body sized
neck-sized/decapped
annealed
weighed primers
re-primed/mandrel-expanded
trickled powder charge
seated bullets.

Total PITA, but nets .59MOA at 525 yards and .75MOA at 965 yards which does not suck for a .22.

Last edited:
jeffreybehr Dies are but a part and once in a while I will take the de-capping pin out and give it a massage with worn out steel wool Needs a shot of carb cleaner, little carbon here, get those threads, and where the whole thing screws in. It may be standard maintaince for you?
Never lose your settings!!, tighten them down now that the things are clean and tools fit, and use good lube and cleaners. Check the vent hole and blow everything clean to include the top of the press the dies screw into.
I go down to the Veteranarian's place and get good Q-type tips cheap. You don't need too many. Nice long sticks. Cleans out up in the chamber area, throat---

Depending on how many sizings you go through it may last you 60 years with rounds you shoot where I load a few a week and need to do this once in a while. Things just run smoother for me.
It seems like everything man has come up with, it seems to work best when clean and properly lubricated. Everything along the way gets dirty with carbon and brass so after a while, clean them out and see if things don't go smoother for you.
It is amazing what you find in the throats and threads of dies with those neat Q-tips. Best to just keep them clean IMHO

jeffreybehr Dies are but a part and once in a while I will take the de-capping pin out and give it a massage with worn out steel wool Needs a shot of carb cleaner, little carbon here, get those threads, and where the whole thing screws in. It may be standard maintaince for you?
Never lose your settings!!, tighten them down now that the things are clean and tools fit, and use good lube and cleaners. Check the vent hole and blow everything clean to include the top of the press the dies screw into.
I go down to the Veteranarian's place and get good Q-type tips cheap. You don't need too many. Nice long sticks. Cleans out up in the chamber area, throat---

Depending on how many sizings you go through it may last you 60 years with rounds you shoot where I load a few a week and need to do this once in a while. Things just run smoother for me.
It seems like everything man has come up with, it seems to work best when clean and properly lubricated. Everything along the way gets dirty with carbon and brass so after a while, clean them out and see if things don't go smoother for you.
It is amazing what you find in the throats and threads of dies with those neat Q-tips. Best to just keep them clean IMHO

Thank you; I might try that. :)

jeffreybehr. Your press looks good and clean now.
As I mentioned above, the dies are but a link in the chain, the link where the work is taking place, where things get dirty, not on our shiney outsides.
You clean your brass and then run it through the die and as the exp. ball is coming out it brings a little carbon and maybe a very small chip of brass from the case mouth with it. Most of it drops out of the bottom but with a little lube still in the die some shit can collect there too then you start getting scratched brass etc. I just try to stay ahead of that so I very seldom have to polish a die because of scratchs from debris on re-sized brass, but I have polished a die or 20.
I too have been reloading for about 60 years and have made more than my share of fuck-ups and mistakes.

I don't clean the dies a lot, just when I think they need it or something is hanging up a bit or I have everything loaded, sitting at the bench and wondering WTF else can I do? I am bored.

Clean one of the sizing dies you use the most often and see what comes out of it. You may be suprised. I would bet it works better for you and don't forget to clean out the vent hole. If you use spray cleaner, or an air hose, catch it in your hand as best you can and let me know what you found. FM

Finished setting up my new XL750 and started initial run of 9mm.
Natually, needed to go back and tweak the flare of the case mouth from the powder funnel depth; as well as the height of the camming pin.
Now I understand the need for multiple tool heads!

Reactions: Anb618
Received another Midway factory-second 6mm bullet...
...the Hornady GMX, the all-copper, plastic-tipped hunting bullet.. This is the 90g. version; it's BC is much higher at .422 v. the 80's .300.
2020Nov20_1040955_Two GMXs_1500w.jpg

Now have 20 trios of all of my bullets to shoot in the incoming 6mm ARC-chambered 16" AR15 that I hope will arrive by the end of November.. Waiting is not nearly as enjoyable as shooting.

Also found a small batch of CCI primers just arrived at Bruno's and bought two Ks of BR4s which I don't normally use (I use CCI 400s), but they're generally interchangeable, and I buy what I can get in this crazy world of ours.

I covered everything and turned out the lights. Between dialysis, doctor's appointments and life in general, my shooting days are far and few between. I have enough stockpiled to last me 2 lifetimes. I will probably never sit at my 550 again. However, I will keep everything at the ready, just in case...

I got some 6.5 PRC brass sized, trimmed, chamfered and deburred. Now it’s time to seat some primers, throw some powder and stuff some bullets. Lol 😂

Cleaned up. My Gawd what a mess. I am going to set a friend's scope today, and I didn't want her to see such disorder. Found a couple of things I have been looking for! Yesterday, I made a small coup. Went to an Estate sale, had to fight my way into the guy's reloading room, and I was like 3d in line! Found a small brass bore mirror, old as heck, put it in the chamber, direct it toward the light source, and viola! Some victories are small, but satisfying. Cleaned it up, and put it in a place of honor on my newly straightened up loading bench. I have bore lights, but this is nice.

Received another Midway factory-second 6mm bullet...
...the Hornady GMX, the all-copper, plastic-tipped hunting bullet.. This is the 90g. version; it's BC is much higher at .422 v. the 80's .300.
View attachment 7478185
Now have 20 trios of all of my bullets to shoot in the incoming 6mm ARC-chambered 16" AR15 that I hope will arrive by the end of November.. Waiting is not nearly as enjoyable as shooting.

Also found a small batch of CCI primers just arrived at Bruno's and bought two Ks of BR4s which I don't normally use (I use CCI 400s), but they're generally interchangeable, and I buy what I can get in this crazy world of ours.
Well, you just cost me some money. Was already thinking about grabbing some mid-weight 6mm hunting bullets for WI deer season next year. Bought the last 300 MidwayUSA had. 😂

Well, you just cost me some money. Was already thinking about grabbing some mid-weight 6mm hunting bullets for WI deer season next year. Bought the last 300 MidwayUSA had. 😂

If you decide you want some 80s, let me know; I bought 2250 earlier.. Probably I won't live long enough to shoot all 23 pounds of them.... :)
2020Nov22_1040960_23 pounds of GMX80s_1500w.jpg

My wonderful wife occasionally calls me Mr. Excess for good reason. :rolleyes:

Last edited: