What did you do in the reloading room today?

Mudflap621

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
Thanks to all you guys here I had to spend a bunch of money and try loading some precision ammo on the 550. Last few weeks I’ve been gathering things I needed. I got a cpl armonov toolheads also polished up my shellplate and waiting for a new inline stand to get it all set back up. Will be starting some load development on a 223 when it’s back together. I have a healthy stock of 77smk varget and 8208 to start playing with. I think I settled on my first run I’ll size on the MEC than prep brass. It’ll go to the Dillon for mandrel powder and seat. Wish me luck.

Reactions: camocorvette

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I got to shoot my 6.5/06 with the LC 06 brass with the LabRadar chingadero this morning.
We had a bit of trouble getting the speedometer to work right but using my usual dope I knew they were pretty fast and going high.
I lowered the elev. and got hits and dialed more windage in. Going too fast. I will lower charge.5 gr. accurate but I want some barrel life too.
Carlos,I like your bench. Busy with various.

mcfred

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
SW USA
Yesterday, I spent time on detail-cleaning a factory rifle. It was full of desert dust and grit clinging to various oily surfaces after the last year's worth of plinking, match-shooting and varmint hunting. While it was apart, I took the oportunity to stone the sear. Annoyingly, it still feels gritty before the break. At least it's all clean now.

StopMakingSense

Sheep & Elk
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2021
SLC, UT
I finally got all of my precision and finalizing work inside, pretty happy with it. Not being in the garage the temperature is now controlled inside and the A&D FX120i responds much better now. Not to mention the dust has cut down drastically. It's also nice being warm in the winter, that little buddy heater could only do so much.

IMG_4826.jpg

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    I finally got all of my precision and finalizing work inside, pretty happy with it. Not being in the garage the temperature is now controlled inside and the A&D FX120i responds much better now. Not to mention the dust has cut down drastically. It's also nice being warm in the winter, that little buddy heater could only do so much.

View attachment 7531527
    OK nice flex with your 8lbs of N570 😂

Reactions: StopMakingSense

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    What did I do? I downloaded data from my ladder test yesterday with 300-WM cases, Accurate MagPro powder, and Berger 200.20x bullets. It showed two really nice flat-spots (73.8-74.2 and 74.6-74.8) that I built deep-dive 5-round groups to accuracy-test on the next nice range day. I also built one more grain of ladder testing above 75.0 to start looking for pressure signs. Used my new QuickLoad software to formulate the tests ... that's pretty cool too. Test rifle is a MPA 300WMBA.

Really getting into this handloading stuff ... it is VERY addictive. My wife hasn't seen me since I got my reloading press ... she think "Calipers" are a vegetable.

1611064986219.png

StopMakingSense

Sheep & Elk
    Minuteman
    Jan 15, 2021
    SLC, UT
    Inspired by rustyinbend I decided to analyze my ladder as well early this morning before work. The shot count was at 60 when I started this and ended at 110.

I'm under the theory from Adam MacDonald at AutoTrickler...
    - Group size is primarily dependent on seating depth (jump)
    - Velocity SD is primarily dependent on the powder charge
    - Group shape is a statistical illusion. Size is all that matters.

Velocity Test.png
    I'm very tempted to do the test again to get more data points on once fired brass. But for now, it looks like a nice node at 82.0 grains. Onto seating depth...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Inspired by rustyinbend I decided to analyze my ladder as well early this morning before work. The shot count was at 60 when I started this and ended at 110.

I'm under the theory from Adam MacDonald at AutoTrickler...
    - Group size is primarily dependent on seating depth (jump)
    - Velocity SD is primarily dependent on the powder charge
    - Group shape is a statistical illusion. Size is all that matters.

I'm very tempted to do the test again to get more data points on once fired brass. But for now, it looks like a nice node at 82.0 grains. Onto seating depth...
    Good stuff. only comment is don't ignore the 2-shot flat spot around 83gr. Maybe build for that too.

And you're absolutely right ... group size matters.

StopMakingSense

Sheep & Elk
    Minuteman
    Jan 15, 2021
    SLC, UT
    Thanks, I did see some pressure around 83.1 but I'm not sure if it's too much to worry about it. The ejector swipes happen on my dummy rounds but ejector marks, half moons, (please correct me if my language is wrong) started to show. Not sure if it's because virgin brass needed to be fire formed to better fit the chamber or not.

This is 83.1 then 83.4 respectively, definitely going to start a separate thread.

83.1 and 83.4.jpg

TxWelder35

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Thanks, I did see some pressure around 83.1 but I'm not sure if it's too much to worry about it. The ejector swipes happen on my dummy rounds but ejector marks, half moons, (please correct me if my language is wrong) started to show. Not sure if it's because virgin brass needed to be fire formed to better fit the chamber or not.

This is 83.1 then 83.4 respectively, definitely going to start a separate thread.

View attachment 7531915
    Primers are flat and an ejector mark. Brass won’t last very long running it that hot.

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon

I've been taught that once you see the ejector circle ... it's time to stop.

b2lee

Stealthy
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    If you keep running that much powder...you are going to blow those primer pockets out...I can show you a partial 5 gallon bucket of ADG 300PRC brass if you don't believe me....I'd rather not...that is WAY down stairs and it is my lazy day.

b2lee

Stealthy
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    Do you use the electric trimmer to vibrate the brass to get more powder in? ;)

I'm about to load up some 245gr Berger EOL's....and slap in some converted 375 Ruger to 300PRC....probably shoot Saturday....Going to spin my old barrel on to give this 300-375 brass its first firing.

Reactions: psychogecko

acudaowner

Old Salt
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    de primed 400 rounds by hand lol and cleaned the primer pockets again by hand but only 3100 left to go god help me lol
    can see i am going to have to automate at least this part as soon as I can .

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    Two Places at Once
    New Tumbler (2).jpg

Continuing to get the new reloading space set up. My wife bought a tumbler for me that showed up yesterday so I'll be setting that up this weekend and get started on some brass prep. Spent a lot of time reading the debate over wet vs. dry tumbling and decided to start with a wet tumbler. I've been slowly accumulating tools and equipment to upgrade (several items from the PX here) and scored the bench from a friend show was making some changes at his business. Its a U-Line packaging table so has a lot of bolt-ons available.

I added a second shelf on the back last weekend - still need to adjust things and I'll likely lower the top shelf a bit. Also considering the light kit that has arm and an LED fixture that mounts to the top of the uprights on the back of the bench. Not sure what I'll do with the pegboard as I prefer tools put away in a tool chest. I'm waiting on a quick change mount from Inline for the new Dillon 750 and my old single stage. Looking forward to getting the presses mounted so I can get going. Its in the garage so I'll still store powder and a lot of other things inside where the temp is more stable.
    Bench Outlet 1 (2).jpg

I also added an optional extension outlet. The legs are pre-punched for outlets. I was pleasantly surprised that it had outlet on both side of the box and a switch on the back to shut off the outlet. I might get another one.

Mudflap621

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2020
    View attachment 7533742

Continuing to get the new reloading space set up. My wife bought a tumbler for me that showed up yesterday so I'll be setting that up this weekend and get started on some brass prep. Spent a lot of time reading the debate over wet vs. dry tumbling and decided to start with a wet tumbler. I've been slowly accumulating tools and equipment to upgrade (several items from the PX here) and scored the bench from a friend show was making some changes at his business. Its a U-Line packaging table so has a lot of bolt-ons available.

I added a second shelf on the back last weekend - still need to adjust things and I'll likely lower the top shelf a bit. Also considering the light kit that has arm and an LED fixture that mounts to the top of the uprights on the back of the bench. Not sure what I'll do with the pegboard as I prefer tools put away in a tool chest. I'm waiting on a quick change mount from Inline for the new Dillon 750 and my old single stage. Looking forward to getting the presses mounted so I can get going. Its in the garage so I'll still store powder and a lot of other things inside where the temp is more stable.
    View attachment 7533743

I also added an optional extension outlet. The legs are pre-punched for outlets. I was pleasantly surprised that it had outlet on both side of the box and a switch on the back to shut off the outlet. I might get another one.
    That’s an awesome bench!

Reactions: Herb Stoner

TxWelder35

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    The 223 77gn seconds I got from midway have a giant BTO variance so sorting 1k of them out. Getting extreme spreads of .040

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    I have recently recived 1k seconds in 55g 223 that was very much the same.

Concesus from my mentors on the hide was to just shoot them first.

A. You paid for seconds.
    B. The accuracy loss in a semi automatic may be within acceptable limits.

It was explained to me that you seat by the ogive and it's a constant.

You are fretting over a 5% deviance.

I will add.
    C. Consider it lucky to have them at all these days.

Reactions: drew_235

TxWelder35

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    I have recently recived 1k seconds in 55g 223 that was very much the same.

Concesus from my mentors on the hide was to just shoot them first.

A. You paid for seconds.
    B. The accuracy loss in a semi automatic may be within acceptable limits.

It was explained to me that you seat by the ogive and it's a constant.

You are fretting over a 5% deviance.

I will add.
    C. Consider it lucky to have them at all these days.
    It’s more about them not fitting inside of the mag if I seated them all to the same length. Found 150 that were .020-.030 longer than normal. with those 77s you need to seat them as long as you can.

and I do use that AR and those loads in a more precision type roll. I got em to shoot pretty well. And the gun does get shot out to 500-600 yards a lot.

23.6gn imr 8208 xbr with those 77gn factory seconds463F3F40-CB2A-4A3E-8CAB-0EDEFA20293D.jpeg

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Mine were base to ogive variables.
    You said yours were bto variables.

My ogive to metplat remained fairly constant.

So my jump didn't move and my coal didn't change.

It made a lot more difference when my headstamps were changed. With range brass and on a dillon.

Ultimately I have those cheap seconds shooting 1.12 moa in a cheap AR Stoner 16 in barrel and if I get a new rear bag (too soft) it may get better.

If the ogive to tip is moving .040 that's a different story.

There have been articles basicly have you find max length you have available iether mag or chamber whichever you hit first, back up for safety, run loads then tweek by going shorter in 0.003 increments.

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 18, 2001
    Eastern Colorado
    Today I mixed up powder. Had 3lbs of H 4831sc in a 8 lb jug and 4 1 lb. bottles of the same, no common lot #.
    Added 1 lb at a time and rolled it around til I had 7 lbs in one jug. Rolled it and rolled it and turned too.
    I will load down a bit but would predict this jug shoots the same as the last one.
    Does anyone else shoot 6.5/06? on here. I love it.

Last edited:

isofahunter

Get Tough or Die!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 11, 2010
    Hill Country of Texas
    Today I mixed up powder. Had 3lbs of H 4831sc in a 8 lb jug and 4 1 lb. bottles of the same, no common lot #.
    Added 1 lb at a time and rolled it around til I had 7 lbs in one jug. Rolled it and rolled it and turned too.
    I will load down a bit but would predict this jug shoots the same as the last one.
    Does anyone else shoot 6.5/06? on here. I love it.
    15 years ago at a gunshow, a XTR Featherweight in 6.5-06, it called out to me, Buy Me! I did not and I have regretted it everyday since.
    I did inventory this past weekend and mixed H4895 together.

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Today was recycling day for me.
    Working on precious metals this evening till my hands gave out.

Cleaning and uniforming pockets on some precious brass getting them ready to recycle and emptying some precious aluminum getting it ready to recycle as well.

My little piece of civic duty for the day.

Maybe if I cast some bullets out of recycled precious lead the tree hugging bitches would kiss my ass?

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 18, 2001
    Eastern Colorado
    Today, this AM, I sized 20 rds. of old LC67 brass for my 6.5/06, 3 times fired brass. Just a little experiment I have going on.
    I inspect each round carefully and did cull 1 piece as it looked to me that a split neck was going to happen but I am really anal about inspecting brass at all stages of the game.

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Just realized the 200 rounds of cleaned deprimed range brass (exceptionally clean and picked over for culls) I sorted out for this batch is GFL (Ficochi).

Was going to save it for armageddon. Lol

Guess I will see how it shoots.

Reactions: Foul Mike

Mudflap621

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2020
    Ran a new circuit in the basement and added 6 outlets and two more led lights. Should be set to make the reloading bench a permanent fixture.

Reactions: Snuby642

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Today I had to deprime 50 6.5g rounds that were not sized properly? Something got loose.

Those new primers fell into a bin with about a thousand dirty spent primers.

Damn.

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Was too frustrated in how my headspace is changing by 2-0.003.

The lee quick change die "base" has play in it. I will use it on a universal die or something that will not matter.

Now I have 30 6.5g cases with slop but within tolerance.
    Will use them for rough test, foulers ect.
    Thier still closer than factory.

This may have been a factor in previous tests un noticed.
    I check several rounds then run a small batch, larger batches get intermittent checks.

I had been running 25 at a time so went un noticed.

What the hell next ?
    Murphy's Law strikes again !

Mudflap621

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2020
    Was too frustrated in how my headspace is changing by 2-0.003.

The lee quick change die "base" has play in it. I will use it on a universal die or something that will not matter.

Now I have 30 6.5g cases with slop but within tolerance.
    Will use them for rough test, foulers ect.
    Thier still closer than factory.

This may have been a factor in previous tests un noticed.
    I check several rounds then run a small batch, larger batches get intermittent checks.

I had been running 25 at a time so went un noticed.

What the hell next ?
    Murphy's Law strikes again !
    Could you just resize without decap pin therefore not having to lose good primers?

Reactions: spife7980

Snuby642

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Well yes, if while you were pissed off you remembered that your 6.5 sinclair turning mandrell pin had finally came in after waiting 5 months..

I purchased it to uniform neck tension between different brass and hadn't used it since it came in.

Have been on 223 & 308 for months on end.

Now to top off my day hornady and lee books vary 200 fps and by just over 1 full grain on published max.

I have another book and look online to sort that out better tomorrow.

The H335 is new to me.
    The lee book shows it hitting 2500 fps with the h335 and a 123 bullet.

TxWelder35

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Well yes, if while you were pissed off you remembered that your 6.5 sinclair turning mandrell pin had finally came in after waiting 5 months..

I purchased it to uniform neck tension between different brass and hadn't used it since it came in.

Have been on 223 & 308 for months on end.

Now to top off my day hornady and lee books vary 200 fps and by just over 1 full grain on published max.

I have another book and look online to sort that out better tomorrow.

The H335 is new to me.
    The lee book shows it hitting 2500 fps with the h335 and a 123 bullet.
    Hodgdon says 28.7gn of H335 @2508fps w/ a 24” barrel

Reactions: Snuby642