• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Does anyone have experience with SMK 69g and H335?
I've not loaded any yet. But I have been sitting on a few pounds of powder and those very projectiles.

From what I have read is it can be very temp sensitive. Loads developed on a cold day near max charge can definitely give you issues on a hot day. I've not found a chart for H335 specifically. On accurate shooter I've read a few threads where people that have used it say back off .5 and it's normally not an issue.

So take that with a grain of salt and do your own testing. Sorry I don't have any more knowledge on the topic.

Reactions: Snuby642
burnrate2019op.png

First of it I have got.

Reportably not as good as varget but very close in burn chart.

Supposedly a reasonable varget replacement for some calibers.
(223, 6.5g, 308)
Just be careful it's 21 powders up on the burn chart from varget. Closer to IMR 8208 XBR burn rate.

Well yesterday, I primed charged and loaded 40 Lapua 6.5 CM cases. I was using the charge that provided good velocity and great accuracy for the Norma 130 grain Golden bullets. So, we will see how they work out. These were once fired cases and no issues was noted Except for one case. It had a fairly serious burr on the outside of the neck. I grabbed a file a file and smoothed it out. Where it would get a burr, I have no ideal. The rest of the loading pricess went very smoothly.

Today Brenda Lea reminded me she wanted some more .38 special rounds loaded. So, I was piddling around in the loading room, getting cases in the cleaner. Since I was cleaning some, I though I would check around to see if other cases needed to be cleaned and prepped. I checkouted out several boxes of fired rounds and came across an unmarked box of of 6.5 Creedmoor Cases. They were Hornady cases, all marked 6.5 Creedmoor. So, I pulled one to see if they already had a pass through the cleaner. Looking at it, it just did not look right. I pulled another case and the case neck just seemed wider on the second case. I looked in the mouth and sure enough, the first case I pulled was necked to 6MM.

Now I ask, what are the odds, that the very first case I pulled was not a 6.5 case? 50 -1? More than 50-1? As I said, it was labeled 6.5.

Caveat, since these were range pickup cases, all had been fired, This is not a factory error.

Wow my bad, mind was thinking varget for some reason.

Absolutely closer to xbr 8208. That my 6.5g likes.

Can't even remember what I was thinking for the varget now?

Communists at the post office have me pissed off.

Just false shouldered 300 pieces of BR for the new dasher barrel.

FA915062-EE9D-43EB-9FF6-1B69B3B15EBF.jpeg

I fixed my very expensive fuck up.
I over sized 22 pieces of 338 lapua brass.
My lock ring worked loose and I measured shoulders with a Hornady headspace gauge forgetting I have a Whidden shoulder bump gauge. I bumped them back per my notes. Ended up being about 8-10 thousandths bump once I checked with my whidden.

Last edited:
View attachment 7840029
I fixed my very expensive fuck up.
I over sized 22 pieces of 338 lapua brass.
My lock ring worked loose and I measured shoulders with a Hornady headspace gauge forgetting I have a Whidden shoulder bump gauge. I bumped them back per my notes. Ended up being about 8 thousandths bump once I checked with my whidden.
I don't totally follow, can you explain?

I don't totally follow, can you explain?
My die lock ring loosened up. I noticed it when my rounds were hard to chamber, so I checked my notes and set it back up with the measurements I had written down.
I used a Hornady headspace gauge to measure the shoulder bump, but my original measurements were used with a whidden shoulder bump gauge that I totally forgot about using, mainly because I haven’t used it in 5 years. The Hornady gauge measures on a different spot on the shoulder than the whidden. So I ended up bumping the shoulders a lot farther than I wanted. As you can see, I found the problem at the range yesterday. I stopped after those three and now going to pull the rest of the ammo and scrap the brass.
D9959532-498A-4A38-A2AD-9B32ECEF55AD.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
My die lock ring loosened up. I noticed it when my rounds were hard to chamber, so I checked my notes and set it back up with the measurements I had written down.
I used a Hornady headspace gauge to measure the shoulder bump, but my original measurements were used with a whidden shoulder bump gauge that I totally forgot about using, mainly because I haven’t used it in 5 years. The Hornady gauge measures on a different spot on the shoulder than the whidden. So I ended up bumping the shoulders a lot farther than I wanted. As you can see, I found the problem at the range yesterday. I stopped after those three and now going to pull the rest of the ammo and scrap the brass. View attachment 7840048

I think you are using the wrong gauge for a 338 LM, Hornady doesn't list a gauge for 338 LM and that gauge is sitting too high on the shoulder.

1648767433770.png

Last edited:
I think you are using the wrong gauge for a 338 LM, Hornady doesn't list a gauge for 338 LM

View attachment 7840082
Yes, I know. My assumption and my bad memory screwed me big time.
I picked the biggest gauge I had and assumed that’s what I used to measure them. It was all screwed up. I figured it out when I was looking for a bigger gauge and I stumbled across my whidden gauge, then a lightbulb went off and I instantly said, what a dumbass no wonder I fucked it all up. I’m glad I found the whidden because afterwards I knew the problem and it wasn’t something I was going to have to chase my tail over.
Assuming and bad memory cost me about 70$ in brass. Lol

I used a Hornady headspace gauge to measure the shoulder bump, but my original measurements were used with a whidden shoulder bump gauge that I totally forgot about using, mainly because I haven’t used it in 5 years. The Hornady gauge measures on a different spot on the shoulder than the whidden. So I ended up bumping the shoulders a lot farther than I wanted. As you can see, I found the problem at the range yesterday. I stopped after those three and now going to pull the rest of the ammo and scrap the brass. View attachment 7840048

Pull the bullets and seat them to a light jam.
Fire them and the shoulder will move forward safely.

You can also neck them up and then back down, creating a false shoulder. It will accomplish the same thing.

Reactions: Gohring65
Pull the bullets and seat them to a light jam.
Fire them and the shoulder will move forward safely.

You can also neck them up and then back down, creating a false shoulder. It will accomplish the same thing.
I actually thought about this. I jammed to form lapua 6.5 creed brass out of 22-250 brass back when lapua wasn’t making brass for the creed. These are on their 5th firing so I’m not sure what to do yet. I’ll probably check primer pockets and maybe cut one open to see how much stretch is happening in that area from the past loadings.

Last edited:
Scrubbed the absolute dog shit out of my dasher barrel, soaking it now, took 200 ish pieces of brass out of the tumbler and got them ready to anneal, broke down and boxed up the AI to send to FL for a make over, and organized some powder I just received yesterday and today.

Reactions: secondofangle2
About the shoulder bump and the case head separations above - this is what I though you meant, but I'm surprised that setting them back too far led to case head separation on the next firing. WOW! I'm storing that away in memory.

About the shoulder bump and the case head separations above - this is what I though you meant, but I'm surprised that setting them back too far led to case head separation on the next firing. WOW! I'm storing that away in memory.
You got to put it all in perspective. Depending on your chamber, you got the initial stretch from your first firing from new, then three other firings after that, I set up initially with .002” set back and they grow slightly each time. Then I set them back 8-10 thousandths and shot a full house load of h1000 and that stretched them back to my chamber spec. So a combination of mutable firings with two big stretch firings one when new and one after a few case trimmings.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Gohring65, what Gauges do you prefer, Whidden or Hornady?

I am looking to buy a set of gauges and I am looking at Hornady & Whidden. I haven't decided on whose to buy.

Brenda Lea has fussed at me for spending buco dollars for bullets and powder but not reloading. So this week, I have been camped out in the shop, loading just about everything I can find that is not loaded. (Well not exactly but close to it). First, I had 250 LP 6.5 Creedmoor cases, annealed and ready to load. However, my RPR’s barrel is getting well north of 2000 rounds and lately has been a bit erratic. So, rather than load all the cases on hand with load combinations that the barrel shoots well, I limited it to just under 100 rounds. Next, prepared 220 SRP Creedmoor cases for the MPA. Alas, some of the boxes are partial and in this wonderful panic, could not find enough matching bullets. The 130 Sierra’s are down to about 25 bullets and the 130 Berger VLD‘s were down to one box plus a partial. So, this morning, I loaded 180 9mm (Brenda shoots a lot of those) and this afternoon, I loaded the last of the Berger 130’s.

Now I have decent supply of Norma GT’s and Sierra 144’s, both of which the MPA shows a great affinity for and that should finish off the barrel.

Now to start shopping for primers.

Yesterday I loaded 50 rounds of 45 Colt, (6 grs of Red Dot) and setup my Redding 3BR Powder Drop.

My Thanks Go Out to Jay Davis of Redding. Jay sent me a 3BR Handle with Screw when I inquired about buying one. I explained to Jay I bought my 3BR a year ago but I am just now setting it up and I discovered there was no handle with my powder drop kit. Jay sent one to me at No Cost. Thank You Jay for the Great Customer Service.

By the way, these 50 rounds of Colt are the first cartridges that I have loaded on my New Redding T7 Press. What a Great Press!

I will be loading another 50 rounds of 45 Colt this weekend with 6.5 grs of Red Dot. My bullet weight is 250 grs.

My next project on the T7 will be 45-70 for my 1884 US Trapdoor Springfield. I am also setting up my New XL750 this weekend. I think I will start out with S&W 38 special on my Dillon.

Continuing my run of 30.06 for the GIs. Have used up the reclaimed components and moved into the stockpile. Measured all 1000pcs of 1x brass and been loading as I went. Have loaded 3-400 and shot close to 100.
View attachment 7844785

Range only goes to 200 but it's the only show in town.
View attachment 7844786
The M1 Garand is Still one of my most favorite Rifles to shoot.

In the early 70s my dad and I had a boat docked at the NJ Shore and I kept an M1 on the boat. I had it Armoloyed to stop rust.

Last edited:
Lol. It's not even on the shoulder.

Can't stand Apple, but the imaging capabilities are unreal. Still won't buy one for myself.. :)

Got my Inline Fabrication flush mount bolted down. Unpacked the CPS and mounted it to the base plate.

4E0E219D-A202-45F1-B07E-7FAD430DDD0B.jpeg

Shellholders should be here any day and we’ll how this thing works…
FD794E2A-EA72-4A1D-82D4-880850636159.jpeg

Also have a plate for the SAC Multi-Base on which I have my Barrel Vise. Don’t use it much so no need to have it taking up bench space.

Last edited:
Labeled and put away my Powder Valley shipment of 8208XBR. I now have 10lbs+ of almost every rifle powder I use. I only need a few more pounds of Unicorn Piss (Varget) and I’ll be comfortable for a while.
For pistol powder, maybe one more 8lb jug of Bullseye, just because it sure isn’t gonna get any cheaper…

2CC5F88D-0DAE-4BE1-B37F-C6EBF9CD7700.jpeg
Had to kill some time so I swung by the lgs and found a box of Lapua 300 PRC brass for $199. Haven’t been in a buying phase lately but price wasn’t horrible for a buy it now. Expanded the necks and chamfered/deburred. No telling when I’ll get these loaded up, still testing a couple 7 SAUMs.

This may be stupid and futile but I’m gonna to try it anyway……

C78285B6-5AE3-4A64-A20F-D6A92E049C7F.jpeg

Pulling 90SMKs from loaded Federal 224 Valkyrie rounds and seating 85.5 Berger Hybrid Target bullets. I got this idea from one of our Maximum Leader’s podcasts. Modern Mexican Match, I’d guess.

These will be for my ridiculous LRI 224 Valkyrie bolt gun build with a ton of freebore.

I’ve had decent luck with 90VLDs over RL17 and very little luck at all with 90SMKs. I had this loaded stuff left over from my former 224V gas gun so……

859EA36F-ADCB-4E3B-AB67-293F357DB227.jpeg

Left: 224V 85.5 Berger Mexican match
Right: 224V Federal 90SMK

I’m gonna chrono it this Sunday and give it a try at 1K.

This may be stupid and futile but I’m gonna to try it anyway……

View attachment 7858973

Pulling 90SMKs from loaded Federal 224 Valkyrie rounds and seating 85.5 Berger Hybrid Target bullets. I got this idea from one of our Maximum Leader’s podcasts. Modern Mexican Match, I’d guess.

These will be for my ridiculous LRI 224 Valkyrie bolt gun build with a ton of freebore.

I’ve had decent luck with 90VLDs over RL17 and very little luck at all with 90SMKs. I had this loaded stuff left over from my former 224V gas gun so……

View attachment 7858976

Left: 224V 85.5 Berger Mexican match
Right: 224V Federal 90SMK

I’m gonna chrono it this Sunday and give it a try at 1K.
Those necks need to be chamfered something serious on the outside.

For the last week or so I have been processing once fired .223 brass and loading up some Hornady 53gr V-Max bullets for my trip out west P-Dog hunting. Right now I'm sitting on 1,500 rounds for my trip.

Loaded 97 rounds for my 6.6 x 47 lapua Match loads for bench-rest silhouette.

Tested load earlier vey accurate to 500 meters.