• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you consider accurate?

Ohioan

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
Franklin County, Ohio
I was reading the April 2012 Guns&Ammo. I was suprised by a photo on page 90 about a review of the Sako TRG M10. It shows an typical group by the author of 4 shots being .515 with a 5th pushing the group out to .866 @100yrds. In my mind, 1/2 MOA is acceptable and just shy of 1 MOA is a good starting point. This is in .338LM.

With all of that being said, I do not shoot distance yet. I am researching and saving for athe rifle that can. My .22 trainer will do 1/2 MOA @50 all day. It will do 1 MOA @100. Are my expectations overly precise for most tactical uses?

Re: What do you consider accurate?

I may have just answered my own question. The first thread I read after posting stated the .338 doesn't stabilize until 200-300 yrds. Still are my expectations high?

Your 22 trainer will do 1/2 MOA or 1/2 inch at 50 yard all day long?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohioan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My .22 trainer will do 1/2 MOA @50 all day. It will do 1 MOA @100. </div></div>

The ability to produce groups is called "precision". Accuracy is the ability to produce hits.

So you are asking what we consider acceptable precision. I would say a well made bolt gun with good ammunition should be able to generate 0.5moa or better groups at 100yds from a shooter that is doing their part. If any one of those parts is crappy - shooter, ammo, rifle - then you have problems.

I don't buy your .338 doesn't stabilize until 200-300yds claim. A well made .338 w/ good ammo and shooter should be able to drill bugholes at 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 22 trainer will do 1/2 MOA or 1/2 inch at 50 yard all day long?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohioan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My .22 trainer will do 1/2 MOA @50 all day. It will do 1 MOA @100. </div></div> </div></div>

Sorry. I have been working a lot. No. 1/2"@50=1 MOA. That is what it will do.

That theory about the .338 not stabilizing till 200-300 yards doesn't make much logical sense:

It would mean that the accuracy within 200-300 is not good, so the bullet is "missing" at that point, then somehow beyond 300 it gets "back" on track and realigns itself to the original (barrel) line to hit the target with precision and with repeatability? I don't think so. Unless that bullet has fins on to suddenly "fix" its path after being unstabilized/inaccurate for the first 300 yards...

Now if they were just saying it wasn't stabilized but it is still traveling on accurately/on path, that may be a different story, but in that case it wouldn't explain bad groups at 200/300 since the unstabilized round would still have to be "on path" at that distance to remain on path and on target for beyond 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't buy your .338 doesn't stabilize until 200-300yds claim. A well made .338 w/ good ammo and shooter should be able to drill bugholes at 100.

</div></div>

I was looking at this thread 3rd post.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2841939#Post2841939
It seemed odd to me as well. However, I have had no experience with it.

A lot of the folks working at Guns & Ammo are horrible shots. They don't get good groups and they cherry pick the good ones and crop the photo pretty close to get rid of fliers. It is worse than the Internet!

It depends on the rifle and it's purpose, and that flyer may well have been the shooter, just because he writes about shooting doesn't mean he can produce consistent groups.

As I've learned recently it's one thing to expect and get sub MOA accuracy from a modern rifle cambering in a bolt gun, it's another story all together to try to get that from a falling block 45-70. (I've got a few hundred rounds down the tube in my 45-70 and I've yet to get consistent 2MOA groups.)

I think a factory bolt gun should be expected to shoot 1MOA or better. The factory barreled 308 that I hunt with will produce .75moa at 200 yards with hand loaded 150SGK hunting bullets, that is more than enough to make dead deer as far as I am willing to shoot it (with a 308 that's under 500 yards)

My F-TR rig with match reloads shoots in the .3s or better, and I expect it to be sub .5, but then I paid good money for a Krieger barrel and a gunsmith to screw it together straight. How many rifles do you think a factory makes in the time it takes him to ream and mount a barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleViktor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That theory about the .338 not stabilizing till 200-300 yards doesn't make much logical sense:
</div></div>

VLD (and boat tail) bullets pitch and yaw before stabilizing after a couple of hundred yards. AFAIK it's problem that all VLD (and boat tail) bullets have not just .338 bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF8W5liSRc

That's the reason why benchrest shooters use flat base bullets for short distance shooting instead of VLD or BT bullets.

I'm sure "Accurate" has different meanings for different types of shooters. I think it depends on the game you're playing and how accurate you to have to be to finish in the top 10 or so. That sets the goal for how "accurate" you have to be. The gun may be able to shoot 1/4moa groups but if the shooter can only shoot 1moa groups then that is how "accurate" you are on that day.

We need to strive for the most accurate load we can find for our gun so we can then strive to increase how accurate the nut behind the trigger can become. We've all seen the fella that places consistently at the top of the pack at a match but when you check out his equipment a lot of times it's pretty common stuff. I think being consistent also is a big factor, if you shoot 1/4moa one day and 1moa the next your scores will be all over the place and most times something other than the shooter will be first in line to be blamed.

Most of our targets are 15" out thru 1000 yards with some stations having higher value smaller sized targets, if I'm shooting MOP "minute of plate" that day I stick to the bigger ones. If the moons are aligned, I'm holding my tongue just right and I'm doing the whoop ass dance on the little ones then I'm well into the sub MOP that day and will gamble.

Benchrest shooters would laugh at the accuracy we really need to hit most plates at a match but getting the groups they need is what we can strive for but don't think it has to always be a one hole gun to be happy with. The distances we shoot and how quickly the conditions change will drive you nuts when you think you should be center punching a 12" circle at 900 yards. A hit is a hit and a miss may not be a bad shot, just one that Mother Nature had more control over than you.

Figure out how "accurate" you need to be for the game you're playing. So many other factors affect us in the strive for that magic 1/4moa or better but there are many other factors that work together to keep that from being a consistent standard.

Topstrap

I think the standard for factory bolt guns is one minute as mentioned above. No reason a "decent" production rifle shouldn't be able to deliver that with match ammo.

Getting beyond that, if I paid two grand (base rifle) for a stick and it wasn't capable of half of that, I'd feel ripped off.

Why pay four times as much if you're not getting better consistency?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the standard for factory bolt guns is one minute as mentioned above. No reason a "decent" production rifle shouldn't be able to deliver that with match ammo.

Getting beyond that, if I paid two grand (base rifle) for a stick and it wasn't capable of half of that, I'd feel ripped off.

Why pay four times as much if you're not getting better consistency? </div></div>

That is a good standard.

Personally I want a gun that out shoots me. When I miss a shot I want to be able to eliminate the possible causes so that in the future I can correct my mistakes. If my rifle isn't accurate that just isn't possible. For the same reason I won't be shooting crappy ammo or an POS scope, I like eliminating variables in my shooting.

To rephrase the original question, are most military and law enforcement LR rifles just under 1 MOA or is this not a valid representation of what is expected? I seem to recall a TRG 42 test in G&A a year or so go where the shooter made ridiculous group like 2.25" at 500yrds. That's what I thought would be expected. I realize there is more than likely some cherry picking going on, but what is considered a functioning LR rig to someone who uses it in the field? I would imagine there is some sacrifice in the tightness of tolerances to allow for dirt (a few. 001 here and there as compared to a benchgun), which I would figure would have some kind of effect on the repeatability. ....or am I over -thinking/analyzing?

Basically, if you lock a M40a5 into a vice on a 100 yard indoor range, fire 25 rounds, allowing for cooling as needed,what do you get?

I would love to figure this out on my own with a couple of different grades of rifles and a few thousand rounds but curiosity is beating budget and time to the punch. Thanks for all the help. Getting more addicted every day.

my .02. i am happy with 5 shot 1 moa @ 100; very happy with 5 shot .5 moa @ 100; very very happy with 10 shot moa @ 100 & 5 shot .5 moa @ 200. 10shot .5 moa @ 200? i'm working on it. i think that maybe group appearance means something,also. to me,10 shot moa @ 100 with diagonal,vertical or horizontal dispersion is not as good an "accuracy" sign as a circular group of same measurement. does this make sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my .02. i am happy with 5 shot 1 moa @ 100; very happy with 5 shot .5 moa @ 100; very very happy with 10 shot moa @ 100 & 5 shot .5 moa @ 200. 10shot .5 moa @ 200? i'm working on it. i think that maybe group appearance means something,also. to me,10 shot moa @ 100 with diagonal,vertical or horizontal dispersion is not as good an "accuracy" sign as a circular group of same measurement. does this make sense? </div></div>

Yes it does. I would agree with the notion that round falling in a clear tangent to POA is something going arye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohioan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To rephrase the original question, are most military and law enforcement LR rifles just under 1 MOA or is this not a valid representation of what is expected? I seem to recall a TRG 42 test in G&A a year or so go where the shooter made ridiculous group like 2.25" at 500yrds. That's what I thought would be expected. I realize there is more than likely some cherry picking going on, but what is considered a functioning LR rig to someone who uses it in the field? I would imagine there is some sacrifice in the tightness of tolerances to allow for dirt (a few. 001 here and there as compared to a benchgun), which I would figure would have some kind of effect on the repeatability. ....or am I over -thinking/analyzing?

Basically, if you lock a M40a5 into a vice on a 100 yard indoor range, fire 25 rounds, allowing for cooling as needed,what do you get?

I would love to figure this out on my own with a couple of different grades of rifles and a few thousand rounds but curiosity is beating budget and time to the punch. Thanks for all the help. Getting more addicted every day. </div></div>

Too loosely answer your question.

Every rifle is different. Example...take a half dozen M40a5's, shoot them in a machine rest with factory match ammo. You would probably find that one might shoot extremely well at sub .5 MOA, 4 of them .75 MOA and one of them 1 MOA. Then take the same rifles and try another brand of factory match ammo. The results will probably be different. Could the 1 MOA rifle be tuned to shoot better? Maybe so? Possibly the sub .5 MOA rifle is now shooting .75 MOA.

Something that is hardly discussed is how temperature affects the entire rifle ammo system. I know for a fact that my rifles shoot better on some days than others. The exact combination of reasons will probably never be known.

Another discussion would be how strait does the rifle track back? What rest was used? What media was the rest sitting on? How was the rifle held?

Then there are ammo inconsistencies. I wish I had a dollar every time I had 4 shots touching at 100Y and 1 shot out, destroying a 1/4" group. I pride myself in attempting to produce the most consistent reloads possible. However if I were a benchrest shooter and had 25 cases set aside for a match that were all as near perfect in every aspect I could see diminishing group size but when a person has 500 brass that were carefully prepared there are going to be some cases that are different enough to give a flyer. Then there's massed produced factory ammo. Obviously it'll never be as consistent as carefully prepared handloads.

Another thing. Some barrels shoot better than others. The first barrel on my main tactical rifle was a hummer. It was so accurate that I easily won a 100Y tactical event with it. The smallest group I shot with it was a .179" 5 shot at 100Y. The other 2 barrels since were/are 1/2 MOA barrels.

Some cartridges are flat out more accurate than others. All one has to do is shoot a custom 6PPC at the bench to get this revelation.

Fortunately if a rifle will shoot half MOA it's plenty accurate enough to win a practical precision match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: entelodont</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleViktor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That theory about the .338 not stabilizing till 200-300 yards doesn't make much logical sense:
</div></div>

VLD (and boat tail) bullets pitch and yaw before stabilizing after a couple of hundred yards. AFAIK it's problem that all VLD (and boat tail) bullets have not just .338 bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF8W5liSRc

That's the reason why benchrest shooters use flat base bullets for short distance shooting instead of VLD or BT bullets.</div></div>
If this were true there'd be no point in zeroing until it was stabilized. Then there'd be no point in zeroing because it would stabilize different with every shot. If you shoot an unstabilized bullet on purpose you'd realize that yes it may stabilize over time but it you shoot it into gelitan you'd see that the "stabilized" bullet is backwards alot of the time when it's not key holeing. Accuracy is about as good as a shotgun at that point.

Accuracy is different for many shooters. To me accuracy means to be able to place a shot on target at whatever distance the target may be at.

In other words if you have a target, it could be paper, steel, animal, or human. If that target is at at unknown range and you are able to range the target adjust your scope and or sights and place a hit on that target then you made an accurate shot.

Shooting for groups is great and it helps you learn your dope for your rifle/load. Some shooters only shoot for groups on paper, some are hunters, and some are snipers. I think that accuracy has different meanings for different shooters.

Good analogy Topstrap.

Its all about you and your specific task at a given time with your rifle.
For instance I accept 2-3" groups from my M1A with irons at 100.
I only accept .75 or less from my scoped 700.
Carbines? minute of coconut works for me.