• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What do you guys think? need some been there info

will36

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2008
South Arkansas
I have a PTR91 and would like to scope it. Im have the wide furniture on it. It has a simple rail clamped to the rec. (the one RTG sells) I am trying to talk a friend out of a German claw with the 30mm rings made on it.

I will be hunting deer and hogs with this weapon. Most of it in heavy wooded river bottoms with some 200 to 300 yard tree less cut overs. What do you guys think of this scope?

Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

I have used a swfa super sniper s/f 10x and liked it . Between the two I just cant make up my mind.

The Falcon is an ok choice in that price range, but being as the PTR recoils a bit, I opt for a sturdier setup, the SS would fit the bill better. From the hunting conditions you will be in, you need to have a reticle that won't go invisible on dark backgrounds. The SS 6x would be a better fit IMO, than the 10x... MUCH better field of view, in fact better than some 4x scopes. The Mil-quad reticle is a bit thin, but has dark heavy lines around it. I'm not sure the 14x of the Falcon would be necessary, I don't think you'd like the reticle when zoomed to 14x either.

This scope, to me, would be the ultimate PIG and DEER SLAYER:

Burris 1.5-6x40 MTAC 30mm Rifle Scope

I really think you'd be happier with a quality illuminated reticle like this with the ability to dial down to 1.5x on the low. It is almost a pound lighter!!!!Excellent warranty as well.

Last edited:
I dont like lighted optics. I have a vortex red dot on a suppressed 9mm AR. Its ok for that, but for hunting I dont know. I found a German kaps fixed 6x42 w/t a 30mm tube tonight that looked interesting. Not to sure how thick there plex ret. is.

I think you have a good point on the G3 it kicks pretty good.

Last edited:
I dont like lighted optics. I have a vortex red dot on a suppressed 9mm AR. Its ok for that, but for hunting I dont know. I found a German kaps fixed 6x42 w/t a 30mm tube tonight that looked interesting. Not to sure how thick there plex ret. is.

I think you have a good point on the G3 it kicks pretty good.

Was just going to mention the Burris has an etched reticle and doesn't need to be illuminated to be visible, and is actually calibrated for the 308. My only point was lowlight performance will probably be a consideration and the reticle combined with a huge exit pupil for its mag range should yield excellent lowlight visibility. The German fixed 6x42 could be a winner for sure, a German #4 reticle would play really well. Keep in mind coatings and glass have come a long way in the last 10 years and have closed the gap pretty well between the older high end euro optics and some of the new cheaper american offerings. Burris, Leupold, and Vortex all have excellent warranties too.

Im good friends with Will from Redjacket. He sells vortex and loves them. Ill have to look into that Burris. I have to call swfa tomorrow they have the Kaps Ill ask about the Burris.

thanks for the info.