• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What do you see?

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Cat.jpg

Ok, this is in Mid eastern Ohio on a private farm, It is the only pic in a string of about 100 mostly does and Coyotes.
I don't have to speculate about internet Mumbo Jumbo, I know for an absolute fact when and where this one came from!
The area is no where close to being some remote wildlife area, but slap in the middle of Farm Country.

Last edited:
Looking at the tree stump and other trees around it I'd suggest that this is a small Mountain Lion/Cougar. Probably in the 4-5' region.

I know for a fact that there is one of those kitty's in Pungo, VA. That's just a couple miles south of Virginia Beach.

Cheers,

Doc

It's hard to gauge the size of that stump with out actually being there. the eyes look a lot like a mountain lion's, but it also could be a full grown bobcat. some get to be rather large. could go either way. Definitely not a canine.

Wrong face for Bobcat and too heavy in the front legs. Cought a Crapload of them and they are spindly in the front end. But Blair witch..........now we may be on to something here.

It's hard to gauge the size of that stump with out actually being there.

I'm basing my estimation on two things. Firstly, the level of root development. For the roots to be so well developed implies a relatively old tree. Secondly, look at the bark on the similarly sized tree on the extreme left of the picture. It is well developed rather than the smoother bark of younger trees. Thus I'm estimating the two trees to be in the 18-24" in diameter range.

i see a mountain lion of sorts. sure is not a bob cat as i see no spots or the elvis side lambchops bobcats always have. the front legs are much thicker then a bob cat along with its head has the "lion" shape to it as opposed to the bob cat overgronw house kitty head. what county in ohio?

Another weird looking Ohio cat. This is a bobcat. I've seen several here and none have spots except on their belly.
bobcat_zps39543170.jpg

Now if you see this fucker in the woods, you better run!
cat2copy_zps205125a4.gif

Another eastern ohio cat. This one was supposedly caught in a trap and weighed 50#. Don't know how he got away with killing it, or maybe he didn't after he posted it on facebook.
bigcat_zpse8e0c57b.jpg

It's a cat of some kind. Could even be a Canadian lynx. It's not like there is any real way to stop them from crossing the border, Ohio is close enough for it to probable, and I've heard of stranger animals being sighted in America. Hell, I remember about a real South American jaguar ending up in Mexico. Could have some in Texas, too. Cats in general are weird, and go all over the place.

Realistically, it's a Cougar/Mountain Lion/Puma/Panther, or a very large bobcat.

Last edited:
Seen and trapped my share of bobcats, so I can tell you what it is NOT at least as far as I can tell. The head and eyes don't look right for Robert, though I cannot deny on tight inspection what appears to be a pattern on the front legs. Definately don't look like a Lynx though, sorry. "It weren't nary bigfoot nor sasquatch nor chupacabra....I done seen all them things."

Last edited:
Looks like a cougar. Saw one in bland county,va just after Hugo. Saw another a few years ago in Franklin county, VA. The second one was hot on a does hoofs. I bet she didn't make it.

Having seen mountain lions out west, I'm going to say bobcat. The first thing most people notice when seeing a cougar in the wild is the length of they tail. I'm not really seeing any tail.

My first thought on seeing it was Cougar. We have lots of cougars and bobcats in my area, and I'm used to seeing/identifying both. But that said, I could be wrong.

Looks like a Bobcat or a Linx to me based on the pattern on the fur and the way it is holding itself.

It doesn't look like a bobcat to me but if it is a mountain lion its a smaller one. I can say with complete certainty that there are still mountain lions here on the east coast though, I've seen one with my own two eyes within 200 yards of me, I watched it for about 5 minutes through binos.

Looks like a Bobcat to me but could be a young lion if he had only been standing sideways.