• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does 6.5 do over 7.62?

Actual photo of Cobra Cutters mom working OT so he can play internet.
Screenshot_20240104_071107_Gallery.jpg

Who a custom builder who sells severely overpriced custom remington 700's to like it's still 2001 is pretty irrelevant.

308 still has a huge presence in LE for many reasons. 1. Funding and they already have the shit. 2. Ammo/barrier penetration. 3. They're always atleast a decade behind the times. There are LE agencies that are running 6.5's though and another 10 years down the road you'll see many more. 50 years down the road though I bet there will still be 308's being used too.

As to mil use, they just adopted another 6.5 platform for DMR use and have had others in use going back to the 260 I believe even before the Creedmoor was a thing. They have had other 6.5 platforms in use before the latest contract. I think you'll see the 308 stuff slowly fazed out though even in the SASS platforms as they're retired. The military is clearly looking for ballistically superior rounds compared to what they have been using which is clearly evident by the .277 Fury, 300NM, 6.5 CM, 260, and 6 ARC. My understanding is that in the MK22's most are just running 308 as a training barrel since it reduces ammo/barrel costs and running NM for other stuff. It would be interesting to see the data from ISC as to who was running what.

For the recreational shooter choosing a 308 over a 6.5 creedmoor is dumb AF unless you just have a shitload of 308 match ammo laying around that you'd rather burn up than sell/trade for 6.5.
Please stop making so much sense.

Who a custom builder who sells severely overpriced custom remington 700's to like it's still 2001 is pretty irrelevant.

308 still has a huge presence in LE for many reasons. 1. Funding and they already have the shit. 2. Ammo/barrier penetration. 3. They're always atleast a decade behind the times. There are LE agencies that are running 6.5's though and another 10 years down the road you'll see many more. 50 years down the road though I bet there will still be 308's being used too.

As to mil use, they just adopted another 6.5 platform for DMR use and have had others in use going back to the 260 I believe even before the Creedmoor was a thing. They have had other 6.5 platforms in use before the latest contract. I think you'll see the 308 stuff slowly fazed out though even in the SASS platforms as they're retired. The military is clearly looking for ballistically superior rounds compared to what they have been using which is clearly evident by the .277 Fury, 300NM, 6.5 CM, 260, and 6 ARC. My understanding is that in the MK22's most are just running 308 as a training barrel since it reduces ammo/barrel costs and running NM for other stuff. It would be interesting to see the data from ISC as to who was running what.

For the recreational shooter choosing a 308 over a 6.5 creedmoor is dumb AF unless you just have a shitload of 308 match ammo laying around that you'd rather burn up than sell/trade for 6.5.
Hey man don’t badmouth Mike R. He is a great guy who makes works of art. Lots of guys plop actions and barrels in stocks. Mike goes way farther. Mike takes so much time and care building his weapons they are worth every dime

You could have made your point about 6.5 without losing folks due badmouthing Mike. He also builds outstanding 6.5’s. He just reported he builds far more .308’s. That is because his primary sales go to LE which I why I know him well I was LE for 25 years and behind one of his 308s many many times

Reactions: Bender and Stevo86
I'm not arguing which is better...I'm specifically addressing DbDs comment "everyone who shoots people for a living is already shooting 6.5"

So yes, a custom builder who builds rifles for LEO would be a pretty good metric.

We could count military.....but DbD claimed if you mentioned what the mil is shooting you "dont know what the fuck you are talking about"....

So mil has been cut from the discussion

Well that's retarded all around. The number of mil sniper rounds fired at flesh targets in engagements vs LE is probably 100x or greater, and the threat is greater too.

Posting memes is all that will work for morons like you since reason, logic and trying to be civil dont work.

You take a bunch of shit out of context and then scream out loud over and over and somehow thinks it makes you right. It doesn't it just make you look even dumber and ignorant.

You cannot reason with morons. Its honestly my fault for trying to when I already know half the shitbird trolls in this thread A. aren't smart enough to understand whats being talked about and B. Have no desire to do anything but troll and being dickheads. My 3 year old kid has better reasoning skills than some of you.

Well that's retarded all around. The number of mil sniper rounds fired at flesh targets in engagements vs LE is probably 100x or greater, and the threat is greater too.
GO back and read the thread, don't fall for his bullshit.

Keeps moving goal post because he is only here to troll.

People would be surprised how little gun work non SOF snipers get on the battlefield. The Marines have already phased them out because they do not see the value in them. The Army is not far behind. Yet both branches will continue to have SOF sniper schools and billets.

308 is being phased out wherever it can for the guys who have a high probability of getting into gunfights. M24 were shitcanned for 300wm and now 300NM. NSW has been using 300wm and 50 cals going back to VN days. FN is making the MK48 in 6.5cm for SOCOM. The MK20 is being made in 6.5cm. Units have been buying 6.5CM SR-25 uppers for over a decade and using them.

The reason 308 is popular and dominant in LE (which all the units shitbird above mentioned, GIGN, HRT, ect.. ARE LE) has been beaten to death on this site by guys like terry cross and anyone can feel free to go read up why.

But what really got their pussies in a bunch was saying that small arms outside of SOF are irrelevant, which they are. If you look at the research done since WW2, the vast majority of battlefield casualties are produced by HE. Mortars, Rockets, Bombs, Arty, Missles and now Drone attacks is what puts people in the ground. Small arms are pretty much used for personal defense and as a means to manuever on the enemy (Keep their heads down) while you can bear heavy assets down on them.

SOF is different as their mission sets and use in low intensity conflicts increases their use of small arms. While they are usualy well supported, sometimes they can't be and are many times vastly outnumbered in cowboy country. This is where the advantage of ballistically superiour rounds that dramatically increase first round hit probability at intermediate to extended ranges matter. For a small unit against numerically superior enemy, stand off distance is the difference between life and death. You can also only carry so much ammo. So making your shots count instead of just making noise starts to matter.

But none of this matters. We have inbred mouth breathers coming in here screaming dumb shit like You SaID durp t "everyone who shoots people for a living is already shooting 6.5". without taking into consideration the context of whats being discussed and how it applies. They have no desire to have a reasonable conversation or even try to debate it (which i welcome by the way). They just want to fling shit becuase they don't like me and the same band of 8-10 retards who contribute nothing to this site, follow me around in every thread to try and get me banned by responding to their troll attacks. Its pretty obvious for anyone reading the threads but oh well. Mods won't stop them and then I am the villian for defending myself and my position against attacks.

So when I say people who come in here and say "but the military uses 308....." as a justification why any of us should use it over something so ballistically superior like a 6.5cm; don't know what the fuck they are talking about, It kind of makes sense right? Well it should if someone is capable of critical thinking. But alas here we are.

Last edited:
Hey man don’t badmouth Mike R. He is a great guy who makes works of art. Lots of guys plop actions and barrels in stocks. Mike goes way farther. Mike takes so much time and care building his weapons they are worth every dime

You could have made your point about 6.5 without losing folks due badmouthing Mike. He also builds outstanding 6.5’s. He just reported he builds far more .308’s. That is because his primary sales go to LE which I why I know him well I was LE for 25 years and behind one of his 308s many many times

I don't disagree that he builds a nice rifle, but we'll have to disagree on whether they're worth what they cost. I've owned a couple as well as dozens of customs from other builders and they're nothing special over what anyone else with good attention to detail can build you. They also don't shoot any better than what you can bolt together in your garage with $3K worth of parts.

I’m gunna piss off a few, but that’s kinda my thing so…..

.308 and 6.5 to 800 are equal.

Anything past 800 the 6.5 kicks it ass.

LE uses .308 because 100% of thier engagements are under 500yds.

Mil uses 6.5 because +800

Any random dude (us) can use either. Because WHO THE FUCK CARES.

You guys are like “Validate my bias, or I feel funny” type retards. I want shot with neither .308 or 6.5.

I don't disagree that he builds a nice rifle, but we'll have to disagree on whether they're worth what they cost. I've owned a couple as well as dozens of customs from other builders and they're nothing special over what anyone else with good attention to detail can build you. They also don't shoot any better than what you can bolt together in your garage with $3K worth of parts.
Well we disagree on how they shoot
Mine shot sub .25 five shot groups with factory Fed 168 and 175’s at 100 yards. Posted the groups years ago

I have seen a dozen plus of his rifles on the line teaching police snipers over the years. In almost every case the shooter behind the rifle was producing the best groups of anyone in the class of 20-30 shooters

Now I assume you bought your used? Which in that case who knows what was done to the rifle after it left? This happens all the time. I bought a rifle by another famous smith used. It would not shoot worth a shit. I sent it back and guy had killed the throat. New barrel and back to shooting great

Mikes rifles are designed to shoot Federal Match to best level it can because that’s still the gold standard in LE. He spend so much time doing so he should name the rifles. Other smiths tend to build all around sniper rifles and many times to get the most out of them you need to handload. I am not going into what approach is best for everyone but Mikes approach is perfect for LE his target audience. His customer service to LE is also second to none.

You can’t repeatedly build a rifle in your garage to compete with any top smith. That’s fact

I’m gunna piss off a few, but that’s kinda my thing so…..

.308 and 6.5 to 800 are equal.

Anything past 800 the 6.5 kicks it ass.

LE uses .308 because 100% of thier engagements are under 500yds.

Mil uses 6.5 because +800

Any random dude (us) can use either. Because WHO THE FUCK CARES.

You guys are like “Validate my bias, or I feel funny” type retards. I want shot with neither .308 or 6.5.
The only people you'll piss off are the retards with too much time on their hands who get waaay to emotionally invested in something where such investment is retarded...And my thoughts mirror your when it comes to 308 vs 6.5: 308 vs 6.5 to 800 is six in one hand, 1/2 dozen in another.

It would be one thing if this thread was about some new commie-leftist infringement on our rights like clot shot mandates or similar stupid shit but nope...It's grown men are actually losing their shit over something that's been beaten to death a billion trillion times now....Lol.

But it has been entertaining, ill give it that.

No wonder the democrats have the advantage over us. Our culture couldn't get along if we were all put in a strip club full of the last year's Playboy playmates with free jerkoffs given and an open bar.

No I didn't do a ton of research before asking, excuse me. No I don't shoot precision shooting and I'm just now starting into it, excuse me. Yes I did just think I could ask a question and get suggestions, excuse me. Yes I do mistakenly care about what the military uses, excuse me.

He didn’t bad mouth him I would kill for a TacOps!! Are you kidding me? For what Mike caters to, the .308 is absolutely perfect. With legal repercussions as well.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Some do ... others don't. You obviously can not. 308 win 3" and 4" 3 shot groups at 1400 yds. And 1.5" at 1000yds. Over 20 yrs ago...shot squirrels and varmints past 1000yds. Belonged to the Varmint Hunters club for over 10 yrs...the longest distance for a 308 Win Prarie dog kill was 2200 yds, made by a better shot than me, I was about average at the time, and the guy was going for 3200 yds, but his shooting friend beat him to the punch with a then new 338 Lapua, after giving up on the 264 Win mag, he needed heavier bullets to spot the misses. It was a big thing back then, nobody shot steel, we killed live varmints. Tons of big bore wildcats were created and employed off the 416 Rigby case...then the 50BMG, a forward observor and very long second flight times. I bought a 50BMG for...varmints.
I just didn’t know there was two of us who could shoot like that here. Awesome to know I’m not the only one holding 1/2 moa at 3/4 of a mile with the 308

WE are truly elite

No wonder the democrats have the advantage over us. Our culture couldn't get along if we were all put in a strip club full of the last year's Playboy playmates with free jerkoffs given and an open bar.

No I didn't do a ton of research before asking, excuse me. No I don't shoot precision shooting and I'm just now starting into it, excuse me. Yes I did just think I could ask a question and get suggestions, excuse me. Yes I do mistakenly care about what the military uses, excuse me.
To be clear, my above post wasn't directed at you...the first page in this thread was informative and think you got the questions you had answered...But if you were to start scanning threads in the tech forums on this site, in whatever sub-forum (other than maybe the 'Vintage Sniper Rifles' forum), you'll see they all follow this same general pattern....one or maybe two pages of good info followed by a total shit show...

Reactions: Im2bent and Ronws
Well we disagree on how they shoot
Mine shot sub .25 five shot groups with factory Fed 168 and 175’s at 100 yards. Posted the groups years ago

I have seen a dozen plus of his rifles on the line teaching police snipers over the years. In almost every case the shooter behind the rifle was producing the best groups of anyone in the class of 20-30 shooters

Now I assume you bought your used? Which in that case who knows what was done to the rifle after it left? This happens all the time. I bought a rifle by another famous smith used. It would not shoot worth a shit. I sent it back and guy had killed the throat. New barrel and back to shooting great

Mikes rifles are designed to shoot Federal Match to best level it can because that’s still the gold standard in LE. He spend so much time doing so he should name the rifles. Other smiths tend to build all around sniper rifles and many times to get the most out of them you need to handload. I am not going into what approach is best for everyone but Mikes approach is perfect for LE his target audience. His customer service to LE is also second to none.

You can’t repeatedly build a rifle in your garage to compete with any top smith. That’s fact

Yes I bought both rifles second hand, one was unfired and the other had very few rounds on it, like less than 100. People don't shoot the things, they're treated like some heirloom and don't get used outside of LE agencies. Both of mine were 1/4moa rifles too and yes with FGMM, the same as basically every other custom I've owned. My most accurate rifle ever to date was an AI with a wintac 6.5x47L barrel that I spun on and tightened with an allen wrench FWIW.

The most accurate guy on the line in your class probably still would have been the most accurate guy with any other custom rifle. I also have to wonder how many of those rifles on the line were bone stock 700P's since that's what's widely used. So if you've got one guy shooting a tacops and the rest are shooting factory Remingtons of course the custom rifle is going to be the most accurate of the group unless the guy can't shoot.

I've put together plenty of rifles with prefits that shot as good as customs. I've bought many AI barrels and dropped them on AI's that shot the same as customs. I've even put $400 Proof prefits on Ruger RPR's that I bought for $800 or less that shot to the same level.

You don't see tacops rifles on the line at BR matches where absolute accuracy is paramount, if they were truly more accurate than what comes out of other smiths you'd see them. You also don't see them on the line at PRS matches. Where you do see them a lot though is picture threads.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
View attachment 8313849
[/QUOTE
Ignorance is bliss... here is just one 308 Win "handload" that totally smokes a "factory" 6.5 Creedmoor in a 22" barrel.
In a 22" 9 twist Bartlein 7.5 lb without scope, and detachable mag. 200 gr SMK .715 BC 2874 fps ave. It also shoots .8 BC 230 gr SMK, and 230 Atips.
Then there is my 30" 308 8 twist target rifle. I have 2, 6.5 Creedmoors, so I know what they can do. And that is why I have 8 308s. The 6.5 CM is a good target rd, but I've lost interest in it, and only two things give it a boost, RL 26 and hybrid cases, to bring it up to speed, and I purchased a new Bartlein barrel just for that. But many just like the 6.5 CM as is, that's fine with me...but for light recoil and excellent accuracy I prefer the 6 mm Dasher, and run the 110 SMK at 3085 fps. Or 108 Bergers at 3020 fps. The 6mms have the light recoil and better accuracy than my 6.5s.

Attachments

• 20230519_125022.jpg
    20230519_125022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I just didn’t know there was two of us who could shoot like that here. Awesome to know I’m not the only one holding 1/2 moa at 3/4 of a mile with the 308

WE are truly elite
Hey now my AI identifies as a 308 as well and that little 20” barrel has made it to 1000 on steel with 168s no less

#12poundboltliftgang

You mad? He's mad. Take some midol, eat some chocolate and your pussy will stop hurting.
No not mad, don’t have a pussy, don’t need midol but I do like chocolate.

Anytime a new guy ask a question about something match related you turn on your full dick mode at least 90% of the time. Maybe try helping people out instead of the shit you do. You’re nothing but an Internet dick, don’t believe me start your own poll here and find out for yourself.

And still not mad, just stating the facts

The 308phites throw up numbers and data but never in comparison to something. In a vacuum something may look good but when there is a fair comparison , there is no comparison.

Go plug in the numbers of the best .308 class bullets like a 185 Juggernaut and then compare a 6.5CM with 144hybrid, 153 hybrid or even the Norma 143 golden target.

Look at the WEZ out to say 1200 yards at sea level. https://thescienceofaccuracy.com/product/ab-analytics/

The numbers don't lie. The real world results from places like PRS where .308s are shooting same course of fire as 6 and 6.5mm cartridges don't lie.

Then you read shit like this from perm trolls like Burt G: "In a 22" 9 twist Bartlein 7.5 lb without scope, and detachable mag. 200 gr SMK .715 BC 2874 fps ave. It also shoots .8 BC 230 gr SMK, and 230 Atips."

Almost 2900 FPS with a 200 grain bullet out of a 22" .308. Somehow this man has defied the laws of physics. He is able to push a bullet 20grains heavier, 300 FPS faster than anyone else out of a 22" 308 ( https://www.warner-tool.com/wp-cont...Win_180g_22datasheet.pdf?15087925373847827946) . Pushing shit to the ragged edge of pressure and saftey and most likely beyond. My only hope is idiots like this kill themselves before someone else reads their bullshit and hurts themselves. I could run a 6.5CM to 80K PSI and get over 3k FPS too.

The reality is you are pushing a bullet with a G7 that is 40 to 60 points less at about 250-300 less FPS. And you somehow think that is anywhere in the same ballpark . HAHAHAHA

And yet they are allowed to post their bullshit.

It must suck to be so miserable in life that in less than 3 years you have almost 4,000 posts but still bitch and moan. Clearly this is your place of refuge but you're still fucking miserable here. I'm surprised you haven't sucked off your rifle's barrel yet.

It must suck to be so miserable in life that in less than 3 years you have over 1,000 posts a year but still bitch and moan.
It must suck to be soo dumb/lazy and ungrateful to have to start a thread when you could spend 5 seconds doing a google search and instantly get thousands of posts/articles saying the same thing, many from this very website.

Then when given the information again due to your laziness, have the balls to talk shit.

It must suck to be so miserable in life that in less than 3 years you have almost 4,000 posts but still bitch and moan. Clearly this is your place of refuge but you're still fucking miserable here. I'm surprised you haven't sucked off your rifle's barrel yet.
He has had at least three other usernames over the years so it is even worse. Some of the posts might be a little inflated because of picture threads.

View attachment 8313984

Prime 6cm 107 @ 3149 stomps a mud hole in that 308
Junk

6 Creed is one of the moodiest chamberings I've ever shot/loaded for and Prime ammo can be pretty hit or miss. The barrel life is also complete ass. It's not bad when you can make it work and can accept it's shortcomings, but I don't think I'd use it as a standard or call it an all time great or anything.

Reactions: Huskydriver
He has had at least three other usernames over the years so it is even worse. Some of the posts might be a little inflated because of picture threads.

Poor guy doesn't even realize he isn't wanted

giphy.gif

6 Creed is one of the moodiest chamberings I've ever shot/loaded for and Prime ammo can be pretty hit or miss. The barrel life is also complete ass. It's not bad when you can make it work and can accept it's shortcomings, but I don't think I'd use it as a standard or call it an all time great or anything.
Yeah like a damn shotgun. And modBB what’s that

01C34E13-6351-4877-8A48-E2B709221D16.jpeg
B728C6CC-3FB1-434B-83F4-9890306E5214.jpeg
The

Some do ... others don't. You obviously can not. 308 win 3" and 4" 3 shot groups at 1400 yds. And 1.5" at 1000yds. Over 20 yrs ago...shot squirrels and varmints past 1000yds. Belonged to the Varmint Hunters club for over 10 yrs...the longest distance for a 308 Win Prarie dog kill was 2200 yds, made by a better shot than me, I was about average at the time, and the guy was going for 3200 yds, but his shooting friend beat him to the punch with a then new 338 Lapua, after giving up on the 264 Win mag, he needed heavier bullets to spot the misses. It was a big thing back then, nobody shot steel, we killed live varmints. Tons of big bore wildcats were created and employed off the 416 Rigby case...then the 50BMG, a forward observor and very long second flight times. I bought a 50BMG for...varmints.
That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing that story.

Reactions: 45-90
So I'm not a caliber guy. 5.56/.223 and 308 is all the rifle cartridges I've ever owned.

Is the different calibers to guys the same thing as say Ford guys vs Chevy guys? I don't understand why if you shoot (using this as an example I've heard) 6.5 Creedmoor it means you have a man bun and play sword fights with other guy's cocks. I was thinking of getting a 6.5 CM for my son but I don't want to have to label him as a faggot if possible to avoid.

Can someone clear this up?

Now he’s just trolling. 😂

I swear to God I'm not. :ROFLMAO: I'm literally just 100% ignorant to all of this. While I'm posting I have videos up on youtube binge watching caliber comparisons but it's all Greek currently.

I do find the hostility here amusing though. :coffee:

So I'm not a caliber guy. 5.56/.223 and 308 is all the rifle cartridges I've ever owned.

Is the different calibers to guys the same thing as say Ford guys vs Chevy guys? I don't understand why if you shoot (using this as an example I've heard) 6.5 Creedmoor it means you have a man bun and play sword fights with other guy's cocks. I was thinking of getting a 6.5 CM for my son but I don't want to have to label him as a faggot if possible to avoid.

Can someone clear this up?
Honestly, it’s all banter, semantics, arguing, trolling, and nonsense for views and clicks.

The biggest advantage that most hunters and many shooters will realize that they get is from 6.5 is less recoil. This is great for beginners and youth especially. If it means he shoots it or not then get him 6.5. Really is a great cartridge!

But that doesn’t mean we won’t tease still, and say it would have been easier to name your son Sue or something.

You keep talking like a bitch someone is going to put you in your place like a bitch.

You gona be holding my pockets inside out soon fairy boy.
I thought trans people in the military were a more recent thing. I was under the impression that the Biden administration was really the ones responsible for starting the acceptance of that.

But then I saw you posted you were in the military for 10 years.
1704389976353.gif

Honestly, it’s all banter, semantics, arguing, trolling, and nonsense for views and clicks.

The only advantage that most hunters and many shooters will get from 6.5 is less recoil. This is great for beginners and youth especially. If it means he shoots it or not then get him 6.5. Really is a great cartridge!

But that doesn’t mean we won’t tease still, and say it would have been easier to name your son Sue or something.

He's a young teen, been playing baseball since he could walk basically. Just now wants to get into long range shooting and says he wants a 308. He's a beginner shooter and I actually found a local place we can shoot out to a mile if we want. So I'm in the process of us starting that together.

Reactions: stanley_white
He's a young teen, been playing baseball since he could walk basically. Just now wants to get into long range shooting and says he wants a 308. He's a beginner shooter and I actually found a local place we can shoot out to a mile if we want. So I'm in the process of us starting that together.
I would get the 6.5 in your case