• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What does a hard run optic look like?

Victory

Pagan Raider
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2005
Making bad guys nervous
I've read a lot of post in the optic section, and in them, people talk about how rugged their optic is, but they look like they have never left the safe. Taking an optic to the range, hunting twice a year, or having it gently rained on doesn't make an optic rugged. If you want to show how rugged an optic is, you better have some wear and tear on it before you want people to listen to your opinion, otherwise it you are just guessing.

So, I want to see some hard run optics, thought it might be fun. Some of these built like a tank optics that I always hear about. So post your work horse with some battle scars, they are always better looking to me than all the safe queens that get posted on here.

I found these while looking for a reticle pic for another member.

Here is right after her paint job.

a8tPbNc.jpg

Starting to get abused, paint is getting worn.

IagHcpU.jpg

This is her after getting abused and ran daily. Notice the Krylon and factory black coat is gone on the turret edges.

B54rae8.jpg

XFFDfvr.jpg

TuWyCKt.jpg

M0ntJfz.jpg

h9eT9C5.jpg

So lets see yours! The more "top tier" and scratched up, the better.

Just curious are these pics of issued gear you didn't pay for or stuff that you paid with your own money. I know my issued rifle and scope looks much rougher because of the repeated painting and use. Donald Trump I am not and my personal stuff doesn't look near as used, likely because it doesn't get put through the paces like my work stuff does. No matter how good someone's gear is, if they are paying for it themselves they tend to look after it a bit better, unless money is of no concern.

That is my CQBSS and Noveske upper, purchased by my poor ass.

Guys that run comps have gear that gets beat up, or guys who actually run their gear more than from their safe to the range and back.

We had a guy on here a while ago, freaking out that his NF had a tiny little scratch on it. Optics get scratched in general use and after years of being shot. I want to see the truck guns and stuff that gets used.

Last edited:
Am I really seeing a LaRue Mount in the midst of all that badassery.... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?!?

No, I don't beat the shit out of my gear. Most of my stuff still looks new actually, just how I like it. If I was made of money, or a Democrat living off of others hard work, I probably would care less. Until then, I will continue to take care of my stuff.

Sorry, I have no pictures of abused rifles. Nor do I have any pictures of beat up wheels on my Corvette that I ran against curbs just to see if it could take it.

[MENTION=6431]Victory[/MENTION], I think most on here are going to miss the point. This is the era of safe queens, bench shooting and resale values for fickle shooters who have scope ADD. They would probably choke if someone got Krylon within 5yds of their scopes. I think when I get home I'll Krylon my GAP/Eric Reid M40A1 out of principle, then take it into the salt marshes next fall on a hunt.

I remember when you posted a couple years back about getting ready to take that rig downrange, and some pics of how it was doing along the way. Loved it and was particularly interested as I had just received a CQBSS at the same time, although due to ITAR I get to have conjugal visits a couple times a year and carry an issued AimPoint instead.

Rifles are tools, scopes are tools. I've never seen a pretty Makita saw at a job site, but I've seen some still in the cases in suburbia. Guess who knew how to build a house.

I don't have a pic and it but my vx3 has some decent gouges out of it. Just what happens when you actually use the stuff

Sorry, I have no pictures of abused rifles. Nor do I have any pictures of beat up wheels on my Corvette that I ran against curbs just to see if it could take it.

LOL yeah... I don't need to post pictures of my gear to prove I use it. This really feels like a look how cool I am thread. Complete with captions incase you couldn't see the carnage with your bare eyes!

7450d1349658552-man-arrested-open-carry-arbys-louisville-ky-internetcommando.jpg

LOL yeah... I don't need to post pictures of my gear to prove I use it. This really feels like a look how cool I am thread. Complete with captions incase you couldn't see the carnage with your bare eyes!

7450d1349658552-man-arrested-open-carry-arbys-louisville-ky-internetcommando.jpg

I was gonna post a moderately sarcastic post but that pick basically cut me off at the knees and illustrates everything I was going to post.

Oh well, less worthless BS word I have to type.:D

I see the point of this post, but know Victory this thread will get you no love. I see it quite often men with Safe Queens speaking authoritatively about how their gear is STOUT, RUGGED, RELIABLE, REPEATABLE or any other combination of adjective and pronoun you can throw at something. I find it odd, but I understand like with most things there's a bit of Fanboyism and outright denial amongst some of us. ( I find it in cigar circles as well) Nobody wants to spend all their hard earned cash and it not be the best thing since sliced bread and God forbid anyone be brave enough to use something enough to actually make some of these makers of fine "equipment" stand behind their product.

Mind you, I won't be going out into my garage and slamming my $1800 Leupy on the floor anytime soon as it's obscene but if I manage to take something I spent my cash on back overseas somewhere or just so happen to drop my rifle out the bed of a truck "again" and it survives then I would feel adequately qualified to make a written sworn statement about how badass and indestructible my gear is.

TL;DR you've pissed off the Hornets nest, may the man in the sky have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:
If kid in pic tripped and fell on his scope, would that be considered "hard use?" What if his vest pockets were full of cake and donuts to break the fall - still qualify?

Oh my god, I just burst out laughing.

I like this thread topic. Also love to what people freak the fuck out about their gear and it getting some character marks. I've definitely experienced some gear that was/is supposed to be top shelf start to fail after some use....not abuse.

Maybe you should throw it down in the drive way a few times to give it that "combat look".

Most guys don't treat their gear like shit, always think about resale value and when the time comes to make an upgrade that means less out of pocket.

To the OP's credit the wear looks real and he's out doing stuff I the real world.
I congratulate him.

I don't hunt anymore and am just a casual shooting enthusiast that doesn't do any crawling around in the dirt( my job is dirt and I get enough of it at work) or climb mountains with a rifle strapped on my back anymore(knees are shot) so my stuff looks pristine except minor stupid Boo boos.

What I love is the "how to make the battle worn look on my rifle" threads I see on many forums.

Last edited:

I didn't abuse the optic on purpose; a year getting drug around the mountains in Afghanistan did that.

If I wanted to know about the durability of a wheel for my corvette, the last person I would listen to would be the guy with the shiny one in his garage. I would talk to the guys who road raced his and who's wheels looked like they have seen more than the Sunday cruise for dinner then back to the house for a wash and wax.

Last edited:
I didn't abuse the optic on purpose, a year getting drug around the mountains in Afghanistan did that.

I apologize. I misread your post and thought that happened in shooting competitions. Warfare is an entirely different matter.

This thread isn't a look how cool I am thread, it is a thread about used optics, and how if you haven't done anything with your rifle, besides plink a couple times, you really have no data, or any substance to back up opinions on how rugged an optic is. You are a PRS member, so I am assuming you shoot comps. In these comps your gear gets used harder than sitting on a sled on a static range. This use creates wear, like scratches and dings. It gives you a basis to say, yeah, my optic holds up under hard use. I don't see the issue with this.

Cute picture, but if you want to compare me to it, you should have picked someone a lot slender. Also I haven't been issued BDU's in about 10 years.

Last edited:
I see the point of this post, but know Victory this thread will get you no love. I see it quite often men with Safe Queens speaking authoritatively about how their gear is STOUT, RUGGED, RELIABLE, REPEATABLE or any other combination of adjective and pronoun you can throw at something. I find it odd, but I understand like with most things there's a bit of Fanboyism and outright denial amongst some of us. ( I find it in cigar circles as well) Nobody wants to spend all their hard earned cash and it not be the best thing since sliced bread and God forbid anyone be brave enough to use something enough to actually make some of these makers of fine "equipment" stand behind their product.

Mind you, I won't be going out into my garage and slamming my $1800 Leupy on the floor anytime soon as it's obscene but if I manage to take something I spent my cash on back overseas somewhere or just so happen to drop my rifle out the bed of a truck "again" and it survives then I would feel adequately qualified to make a written sworn statement about how badass and indestructible my gear is.

TL;DR you've pissed off the Hornets nest, may the man in the sky have mercy on your soul.

Yeah I really don't care about getting any love, this is the internet, and a sight about shooting.

I don't expect anyone but maybe Lowlight to go bang their gear around just to bang it around. I do expect people to use the equipment they hold so dearly and brag on all day. Normal use creates wear, sitting in a safe does not.

Cheers, and I totally hear what you are saying.

I had to add something, yes, taking your rifle in and out of the safe to show your buddies your "sniper rifle" will create wear. Figured I better put that disclaimer in before someone calls me a liar.

Last edited:
Maybe you should throw it down in the drive way a few times to give it that "combat look".

Or maybe use it in combat you computer commando.

Another shit talker with nothing to add.

I think some of you are confused. This optic wasn’t made to look like this on purpose, mistreated, or abused on purpose. It was used for what it was meant to be used for, hurting bad guys feelings. I tried to take the best care of it I could; after all, it was mine. The optic still got beat up after all the use. It got dropped, smacked against shit, rained on hailed on, and put through just about anything you can think a tour in the mountains of Afghanistan could dish out.

MYJ65, no need to apologize, this is the internet, I don't take things personally and neither should anyone else.

gugubica- she is pretty. What are you replacing it with?

Last edited:
gotta watch this thread, basically I am OCD with guns nd motorcycles, but once the first dent or scratch happens I become less ocd with that item. krylon is your friend

You are going to ass-hurt alot of the Internet shooters with this thread. I've noticed a very large majority of people here now (not everyone) are more about the buying and collecting of guns and gear than they are about actually using it for what it was made for. I'm not made of money by any means, but I'm going to use my gear for its intended purpose without being distracted by worrying if I get a scratch on it. The last new S&B 5-25 that I bought wasn't on my rifle more than a week before I had it on my barricade at home practicing with it. It got scratched up.....so what. If you buy the shit that you know you want and are going to use, you don't have to be so worried about resale value. My scopes have scratches on the turrets and objectives. My chassis has the finish rubbed off of the forend on the sides and bottom. No, I don't purposefully just abuse my gear just to see if it can take the beating, but I'm not going to baby it and then make excuses for why I'm so "careful" with it.

Pull that damn inspection sticker off the top of your new Nightforce for god's sake and go shoot!!

You are going to ass-hurt alot of the Internet shooters with this thread. I've noticed a very large majority of people here now (not everyone) are more about the buying and collecting of guns and gear than they are about actually using it for what it was made for. I'm not made of money by any means, but I'm going to use my gear for its intended purpose without being distracted by worrying if I get a scratch on it. The last new S&B 5-25 that I bought wasn't on my rifle more than a week before I had it on my barricade at home practicing with it. It got scratched up.....so what. If you buy the shit that you know you want and are going to use, you don't have to be so worried about resale value. My scopes have scratches on the turrets and objectives. My chassis has the finish rubbed off of the forend on the sides and bottom. No, I don't purposefully just abuse my gear just to see if it can take the beating, but I'm not going to baby it and then make excuses for why I'm so "careful" with it.

Pull that damn inspection sticker off the top of your new Nightforce for god's sake and go shoot!!
The night force sticker pisses me off

I have an itch for one of the new Razors. I absolutely love this one and would recommend one without hesitation. I just can't afford both right now.

BTW, thanks for beating the shit out of your gear. I appreciate why and where it happens.

This thread isn't a look how cool I am thread, it is a thread about used optics, and how if you haven't done anything with your rifle, besides plink a couple times, you really have no data, or any substance to back up opinions on how rugged an optic is. You are a PRS member, so I am assuming you shoot comps. In these comps your gear gets used harder than sitting on a sled on a static range. This use creates wear, like scratches and dings. It gives you a basis to say, yeah, my optic holds up under hard use. I don't see the issue with this.

Cute picture, but if you want to compare me to it, you should have picked someone a lot slender. Also I haven't been issued BDU's in about 10 years.

I'm just fuckin with ya man. I appreciate people who use their stuff. Yes as a PRS member I shoot a lot of matches and the LAST thing I think about on a stage is putting a scratch on my scope or stock. I won't miss a single point because I was cautious about a nick or ding. These are tools not jewelry pieces.

Honestly, I am glad there are guys who don't use their shit at all and then think they need some other new/better shit to put in their safe. They post thier "used" shit for sale in the PX at a discount and I'm able to buy it and save money.

Honestly, I am glad there are guys who don't use their shit at all and then think they need some other new/better shit to put in their safe. They post thier "used" shit for sale in the PX at a discount and I'm able to buy it and save money.
^^^This I usually try to buy new to support a vendor or shooting sports supporter, but man do I love getting a prestigious never used piece of gear for 10-25% discount because someone NEEDS to upgrade.

Last edited:
^^^This I usually try to buy new to support a vendor or shooting sports supporter, but man do I love getting a prestigious never used piece of gear for 10-25% discount because someone NEEDS to upgrade.
Way I see it, we're still supporting the vendors because they turn around and give our money plus some to the vendors for the brand new model.

Well not sure if these count but both of these have been to hell and back. Old SS is of the 2003 vintage or so. Been dropped more times then I can count. Fell from a barn haymow about 7ft onto the ocular of the scope and bent it almost down against the bolt on the rifle. I put it into a press and straightened it out. Still tracks perfectly. It's been retired to my .22 now tho. The mars is on one of my main meat sticks for night use. It gets the shit kicked out of it all the time. Haven't adjusted zero in 3yrs. My precision gun optics are recent replaced so not a lot of wear there yet.

The famous bullet scope.

174d946ebb5dad0420781372.jpg

8545848362_8bf15f3818.jpg

8545838486_64a3c644e5.jpg

Shot with an AK round it froze the magnification at 15x. The soldier wasn't injured, but able to tape the hole to keep sand and debris out and carry on his mission for the next 3 days.

Edit: obviously not mine.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforce-stories/

Last edited:
Great thread! I don't hunt but do shoot out in the desert. Try to keep my gear nice, but rarely clean it. I also use a soft case that gets thrown around a lot. Don't really worry about my scopes and all have held up well! My three rifles my son and I have are used 3X per week, but certainly nowhere near what the OP has dished out :)

Or maybe use it in combat you computer commando.

Another shit talker with nothing to add.

I think some of you are confused. This optic wasn’t made to look like this on purpose, mistreated, or abused on purpose. It was used for what it was meant to be used for, hurting bad guys feelings. I tried to take the best care of it I could; after all, it was mine. The optic still got beat up after all the use. It got dropped, smacked against shit, rained on hailed on, and put through just about anything you can think a tour in the mountains of Afghanistan could dish out.

MYJ65, no need to apologize, this is the internet, I don't take things personally and neither should anyone else.

Haha! Like you're the only one that put a day in combat. Learn to take a joke.

I kind of look at it like I look at my motorcycles. I would never take a motorcycle to the track if it would kill me (maybe not the best use of words) to lay it down or have it get wadded up. That being said I don't try to wreck a bike when I'm on the track. Even if I don't lay it dow, they still get shit all over them and get pretty nasty which is why I clean it up, check fluids and make sure everything is functioning properly a couple times a day at the track. I also have bikes that I don't take to the track because I don't want them to get messed up. My duty rifle and sidearm I don't expect to get messed up but if they do, so be it. And when I'm out with them they get crap all over them and I take care to make sure they are operational. They are tools that I need to have. I do have a few things in the safe that are safe queens that I am quite anal about but there are different purposes for different guns...and bikes.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your back peddling. I never once said I was the only one who has ever seen combat. You also weren't joking, you were running your mouth because you thought I just painted the rifle to make it look cool and beat it up just to do it.

I kind of look at it like I look at my motorcycles. I would never take a motorcycle to the track if it would kill me (maybe not the best use of words) to lay it down or have it get wadded up. That being said I don't try to wreck a bike when I'm on the track. Even if I don't lay it dow, they still get shit all over them and get pretty nasty which is why I clean it up, check fluids and make sure everything is functioning properly a couple times a day at the track. I also have bikes that I don't take to the track because I don't want them to get messed up. My duty rifle and sidearm I don't expect to get messed up but if they do, so be it. And when I'm out with them they get crap all over them and I take care to make sure they are operational. They are tools that I need to have. I do have a few things in the safe that are safe queens that I am quite anal about but there are different purposes for different guns...and bikes.

If we were having a conversation about the duability of bikes for track days, would you want to hear the option of the squid who has never done a track day with his bike? I wouldn't take advice on track day bikes from a dude with 3 inch chicken strips. Optics is kind of the same thing.

The throw your rifle in the driveway bit was a very well known (and funny) thread, ranked up there with tactical wheelbarrow & gecko45 mall cop threads. My humor didn't come through in type apparently.

I agree with this!!! Damn sticker.

However

Does a gun need to be thrown around outside a combat environment?

By all this logic in this thread frank should tie his ax to the back of a SUV on the way to a shoot so he isn't seen as a internet shooter.

I might take to my rifle with a screwdriver so I'm not seen as a internet commando also.

[MENTION=6431]Victory[/MENTION]... Totally get the premise for the thread, and I like it. I need to post up some pics muhself. Reminds me when some fellow local shooters froth at the mouth and smirk about me kryloning some rifles. I tell them, um yeah, metal rusts in front of your eyes, we live in tropical like Louisiana, duh. Then they have that look of confusion as they hold their pretty little rifle, with silicon rag in hand the entire time we hunt and shoot.

Btw, the Cqbss kept tracking throughout?

gotta watch this thread, basically I am OCD with guns nd motorcycles, but once the first dent or scratch happens I become less ocd with that item. krylon is your friend

I decided to shoot an F-Class match awhile back, the shooter next to me had one of those super hot rod pinstriped shitton of hand rubbed clear coat paint jobs. He was profusely appoligizin' for bouncin' brass off my rifle durring one of the strings. I told him it's all good, I got can a Krylon in the truck, I'll touch it up between pit changes.

The look on his face was worth the price of admission.

OP, great to see another gritty Leupold, their durability is definitely the standard for other manufacturers to follow. Glad to see she served you will in A'stan. I was always a little iffy on those new turrets Leupold is running but after seeing yours held up well I'll have no reservations on going with a Mk 6 with those turrets.

Funny how this thread changed when people realised your rifle got banged up in Afganistan.

But I have a question for Victory, and probably other members can answer this also. And remember I'm from Iceland - no military - no war.

Why are you using your own rifle when serving your country? Seen this a lot of times and often wondered.

Are you not issued the best, or even adequate gear?

The easiest way to make something look used is to spaypaint it. Paint wears just by looking at it.