• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What does this marking mean?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
This is my M1938 8mm Turkish mauser. It's kind of hard to see, but there is a black line on the stock with a little curve on the very end. When I was looking at this rifle, I saw other ones that had 1, 2, or even 3 of them all in the same place. Anyone know what these mean??

Mauser10.jpg

002-1-1.jpg

MauserSymbol.jpg

Re: What does this marking mean?

all joking aside but it just looks like a scratch to me, can you describe it or take a better picture?

It's some sort of symbol. Black and indented into the wood. The ones on the other mausers looked exactly the same. I'll try to get a better shot of it.

OK here's a better shot of it. It could just be coincidence, but the other mausers had the exact same marking in the exact same place.

MauserSymbol.jpg

They all fell out of the rack the same way?

Maybe a squad symbol? Like a snake maybe(?) Nothing official related to the manufacturing of the rifle that I know of.

That defintely could be. I was just wondering if it actually was in fact something official.

sorta resembles an algonquin peace pipe, maybe the unit liked them some peyote?

Can you post pictures of the other rifle that you saw. Look like a ding to me.

I think its german for "oops, dropped my Mauser."

looks like a......crowbar?

maybe the guys in the field used a certain way to disassemble the bolt the same way for cleaning, which left an indentation in the wood?

maybe some way the marked it to send to a certain front, unit, battalion, etc.

smallbore where have you been?

Looks like an official issue rifle rack ding...probably the same make rifle rack is responsible for all of them. JMHO