• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What is our favorate digital camo (pics inside)

camomallninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
I have been testing ACU and MARPAT woodland
They both work good in different situations
ACU works good in shadows or gray areas but looks like a rock in the light in Urban it very hard to see at 150 meters and in desert works good enough.
Marpat woodland works good when laying down in woodland but blacks out when there is any shadows. What is your guy take on these 2 camo.

100_1131.jpg

100_1141.jpg

100_1099.jpg

100_1138.jpg

ACU at 50 meters (Urban)

Picture030-1.jpg

2001531679111002788_rs.jpg

and here is rocky

Picture044.jpg

Picture044-1.jpg

ACU_works.jpg

Re: Digital camo question

As your excellent pics illustrate, acu looks like sagebrush or rocks, which is great for where I live!

Unless I actually climb into a spruce tree, woodland and green marpat are not all that great. DCU or bird poop pattern seems to be better than them, but again limited to this geographic location. Keep in mind that our foothills are green April 1 through July 1 only.

im not sure what the corps obsession with black is but they screwed up our woodlands by keeping it in the pattern. if you look at the new mirage camo you see, no black, multicam- no black, hell canada even got it right. this is something ive studied greatly and in my opinion the marpat woodlands would be could be excellent with the absence of black. BLACK DOES NOT EXIST IN NATURE. on the topic of ACU... ive found them to work well only at NIGHT in and URBAN setting. the woodlands also work extremely well at night. my first choice on camo is multicam even if people call it goociflauge. i havent been able to get my hands on the new mirage but am waiting for the chance. i like canadas digi deserts for mountainous arid environments ( A-stan) but my corps wont let me out of the wire in them. i took some olive satin spray paint and some coyote to my marpat deserts though and they blend in unbelievably well in an array of environments.

Tests I have done with Multicam it did good on open field with light not good when it hit shadows it was effective in desert and did not do anything in Urban.Over all great camo
ACU was made for Urban did you see the picture above? I am only 50 yards away at 200 you cant see the person. .

Black is the shadows that most woodland and brush creates in my opinion if your out in open field that is matching Marpat brown green and you lay down your blend in very very well, the problem is when there is shadows the Marpat turns black. Problem is that when your in woodland there are trees and shadows and gray/rocks desert patches and so forth.Also ACU works best when you are behind the brush look at one of the pics above where I have the camo behind the tree the Marpat is a black shadow on the left but the ACU is blending really well if you zoom in you can see the sleeve hanging out then you will start to make out the whole uniform.

agreed on multicam and roger on acu in urban. doing what it was made to do. i do believe if you took black out of the marpat woodland and replaced it with coyote tan it would lighten the uniform enough to do well in shadow. even shadows arent black a dark brown can replicate them and still not give you away in sunlight.

kudos on the pics.

I was thinking the same thing but adding a lighter tan like the ACU mixed with coyote brown and a little green.
Hell even desert marpat works better in shadows then Marpat woodland

okay, ive been studying this topic extensively for some time now... and although i agree marpat is unsat, basically what i call blob-flage, black DOES occur naturally and is the basis for many patterns including many from the designers of acu. although multi fractural pattern, marpat is cursed from using 3 dark colors and lacks a contrasting light color thusly turning to one indistinguishable easily silhuetted design. problem really with black comes into play with nvg's. really the idea of a universal pattern limits the effectiveness to any one terrain but acu does pretty well for government work. if ya need better make yer own suited to the background in your locale and i find digital photos a great aid in identifying primary tones. the limitation/trick in designing good patterns is balancing act between two conflicting principles.what blends close up needs to break up at a distance. acu is a compromise and is reletively useless visually out beyond 100 yards due to pixels too small and not "broken up" enuf. just my humble but researched opinion.

i find that marpat really starts to do its thing after it is well worn with some washes under its belt. it becomes faded and less contrasting much like the faded woodlands we used to use.

multicam is the answer out of all of them. digital desert works nice also with some gillie strips thrown in for measure adapting to local colors. i generally think the acu is too light, and the marpat too dark. if the camomallninja is just crawling around the decidous woods, just get realtree. in that setting the acu is too grey and the marpat too revealing and green out of that setting.

my 2 cents

Yeah black occurs in caves. Black is too contrasting for an effective color in a camo pattern. That's why we paint all out shit that's black to green or tan. And +1 on the woodland marpat with a heavy bleach wash and lots of sun. Mine work very well now after three+ years.

Black does occur in nature but not very frequently in plant material. Skunks, bears, some cats both small and large are black, zebras, and tigers as well all have black in their patterns. You would think that a tiger which is orange, black and white wouldn't blend in. It exists but nature shows us that it shouldn't be used with darker colors all that often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">multicam is the answer out of all of them. digital desert works nice also with some gillie strips thrown in for measure adapting to local colors. i generally think the acu is too light, and the marpat too dark. if the camomallninja is just crawling around the decidous woods, just get realtree. in that setting the acu is too grey and the marpat too revealing and green out of that setting.

my 2 cents </div></div>

Multicam is a bunch of hype in my opinion

Desert works ok looses to Marpat
Woodland works good almost as good as Marpat
Urban looses to ACU
I have tested real tree and it has not performed well at all where I live.

100_0776-1.jpg

If you click on this you will see Marpat-Multicam-Acu go head to head.

Note that ACU has not been rolled into dirt.
http://media.putfile.com/MARPAT-MULTICAM-ACU-TEST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenshin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black does occur in nature but not very frequently in plant material. Skunks, bears, some cats both small and large are black, zebras, and tigers as well all have black in their patterns. You would think that a tiger which is orange, black and white wouldn't blend in. It exists but nature shows us that it shouldn't be used with darker colors all that often. </div></div>

Black breaks up and simulates the shadows under leaves.

Out of the 3 in that video ACU preformed the worst and i would say that Multicam would be a close first followed by MARPAT. Multicam really works the best when it receives a lot of light and gets the reflection of the greens and browns from the plants and soil.

ACU works best in deep forest with shadows or gray woodland rocks and so forth. In woodland not everything looks like what they were testing in.
That is why I took so many different pics. In most woodland you have gray or shadows. In woodland with brown in it Marpat takes hands down. Multicam is ok and ACU in open brown field you look like a rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vikingwitharifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I've found the best camoflauge to be :

banana-republic-charcoal-suit_1.jpg

Also you can still shoot a rifle, even if the bolt is doing something funky.

MM08%20good%20bad%20weird%20suit.jpg
</div></div>

I am not sure how well you would blend in places like Compton East LA and so forth, you stick out like sore thumb until you got jacked.

Not at all, with the right look on your face you're actually untouchable.

White guy in the ghetto wearing a suit that's not pissing his pants = either fed or your drug dealers drug dealers drug dealers drug dealer.

Either way noone wants any nonsense with that guy.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vikingwitharifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not at all, with the right look on your face you're actually untouchable.

White guy in the ghetto wearing a suit that's not pissing his pants = either fed or your drug dealers drug dealers drug dealers drug dealer.

Either way noone wants any nonsense with that guy.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Maybe put in an earpiece and talk to your self from time to time in your watch.