• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What is the go to "Out West Caliber"?

Contender-1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2020
West Palm Beach, FL
Starting to dream a little about what retirement is going to look like. Got a big bucket list of animals that are out west. I live in S.E. FL so technically everything is west of me. The retirement dream has sheep, goats, antelope, elk, mulies on the list. Dad bought me a 300 Weatherby Mag when I was in college, and part of the dream is to use it since he has long past. Is this a good choice, or is there substantially better?

All input is appreciated,
Bob

300 Weatherby will be a great gun for all of your listed critters.

Overkill on deer & antelope but with mindful shot placement (avoiding shoulders) meat damage should be not a deal breaker.

I’ve been thinking on a new All Around Hunting rifle.

Calibers in the stable already:
1. my ole trusty 270win, A perfect deer sized game caliber. I’ve killed a lot of animals with it. And on elk, a perfectly acceptable round w/ good shot placement.
2. A 300win, the gun I carry on a dedicated elk hunt. The heavier bullet/ added energy give me more confidence to take those quartering shots or bust a shoulder to avoid a elk from running down into a hellhole.

I’ve landed on the 280ai.
Loaded with heavier bullets, she will be capable of any ethical shot on big bodied animals.
Loaded in lighter class, she will really shine as a race car while not kicking the fire out of a dude.
Good luck in your hunting adventures!

300Wby will just about take you around the world and will take any N.A. game animal. I would not have reservations with my 300Wby anywhere in the US for Big Game.

Enjoy the adventure.

Thank you both for your insight. There is nothing alive in Fl other than the occasional skunk ape, or big foot that warrants such a caliber. Truth be told, we have experimented with anything and everything from a 22 hornet to 308 for our pigs and deer. Most landing solidly in 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 6.5, or 308 bracket.

The 300Roy is well suited out here in the West.

Limited by only slippery bullet options.

The 300Winnie with 215 Hybrids are a potent and well respected combo as long as you do your part.

You can't kill anything too dead!

You can never go wrong with a "fast" 30 cal. If it doesn't already, I would install a brake or muzzle device on it to help with staying on target to spot hits or misses and roll with it. While the 30s seem to be more forgiving than the smaller calibers, nothing beats solid shot placement. I have seen plenty of elk still go a very long ways when hit badly, even with the larger 30 calibers. Bullet selection is also important, and should be chosen wisely. The above mentioned 215 Berger is fantastic on elk, I have killed probably 6 or 7 of them with that bullet out of my .300 win mag. I would be wary of that combo on thinner skinned game however. I will never forget a situation where I was hunting elk and I had a wolf run by on a ridge 300 yards away. I couldn't get it to stop and I shot at it while it was loping along the trail. I hit that thing about 6 inches back of where I wanted to and it took off running so fast it was rather unbelievable. My bullet must have just zipped right through it with zero expansion. Thinner skinned game may require a little different bullet. Good luck on your retirement, I hear Colorado is nice...

Live in Georgia been hunting Antelope and Mule Deer last 7 years or so. We walk a lot so weight is an issue. I used a Kimber Montana in 280AI for several seasons and love it. Cabela's had a close out deal on a Lightweight Browning X Bolt 26 inch with brake in 26 Nosler so I bought it and used it this season. Loaded with Barnes 127LRX did great on a nice mule deer. I am nearing full retirement too!

The down side to a 30 something year old rifle is the barrel is not threaded and I have heard very mixed reviews regarding clamp on muzzle breaks. The barrel OD will not allow for it to be threaded. I could magnaport the barrel, but I think that's just adding old technology to an older rifle. Is there proven viable option for a rifle like this?

The down side to a 30 something year old rifle is the barrel is not threaded and I have heard very mixed reviews regarding clamp on muzzle breaks. The barrel OD will not allow for it to be threaded. I could magnaport the barrel, but I think that's just adding old technology to an older rifle. Is there proven viable option for a rifle like this?

Hmmm. I am not sure. I couldn't imagine shooting an unbraked or unsuppressed 30 cal magnum, I can't stand not being able to spot my hits or misses. You could maybe spin another barrel on...or just buy or build a new gun! I have built or bought new guns for far fewer reasons than that. I have a number of rifles that are heirlooms too, but most of them I just look at and conjure up good memories from them.

Hmmm. I am not sure. I couldn't imagine shooting an unbraked or unsuppressed 30 cal magnum, I can't stand not being able to spot my hits or misses. You could maybe spin another barrel on...or just buy or build a new gun! I have built or bought new guns for far fewer reasons than that. I have a number of rifles that are heirlooms too, but most of them I just look at and conjure up good memories from them.
That’s the case with this one. It has exactly 20 rounds through it. I know because I finished the original box 10 years ago. The recoil is a train wreck, but going to have to man up for at least one hunt. It has zero kills on it, and that just won’t do.

Nobody else asked, so I guess I will.
Are you loading your own or looking to use factory ammo?
This can influence your decision dramatically.

Nothing wrong with the 300roy. I'm sure there are options to throw a break on it. You don't need 5/8x24 if you aren't running a can. Look to the ViAS, APA's Answer and such.

The 300Roy is well suited out here in the West.

Limited by only slippery bullet options.

The 300Winnie with 215 Hybrids are a potent and well respected combo as long as you do your part.

You can't kill anything too dead!
When you say 215 hybrid, do you mean the open tip match bullet from Berger?

That’s the case with this one. It has exactly 20 rounds through it. I know because I finished the original box 10 years ago. The recoil is a train wreck, but going to have to man up for at least one hunt. It has zero kills on it, and that just won’t do.

300 Weatherby does certainly let you know when she goes off. I have a Mark V in 300 Weatherby and it is not my "fun" gun to take to the range. I think I put 56 rounds down range the first time I took it out. Never did that again. This was before I had the Pachmyer Decelerator pad was installed. Shoulder was sore for days. Just short checks at the range on my zero from then on. Like yours my barrel profile is definitely too small for a threaded break.

However I took my last bull elk with it and funny, I don't remember feeling a thing when I pulled the trigger and watch him crumple DRT. :) A Barnes 180gr TTXT bullet does wonders when driven to 3200+ fps.

Enjoy your rifle.

The 300 weatherby is more than capable for the critters you mentioned.

Now let’s see some pics of this gun!

In AK there are probably more 30-06s than anything else in the field. Much of this is due to the fact that you can find 30-06 ammo about anywhere and it works well enough at everything.

280ai is a nice round without getting into magnums.

For everything you listed, a 7mm-08 would work if a short action was desired.

The most versatile, do it all, work horse rounds tend to be 7mm or 30 cal. There is nothing substantially better than the 300 Weatherby, just different and those really depend on a hunter's needs to know if they are better or not. Chasing sheep and goats you might find yourself wanting a lighter rifle. I once mocked weight weenies, the more time I spend in steep mountains the more I try to find that balance between lightweight and reliable function.