• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

Re: What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

I wear Cabelas Outfitter series with the lighter weight insulation. Use them for backpacking, took them to philmont, and use them for upland hunting. Also use them for deer stalking since they are way more flexible than my rubbers.

I like Danners but i feel like theyre too soft for my ankles. I got pretty crappy ankles (I have flat feet) and need something with more support. If they have a boot out thats stiffer than Pronghorns, then i'd definately give it a look.

Steel blue work boots and gp boots but looking at getting some new boots just trying to find a pair in tan that are 100% waterproof and if possible zip side aswell as laces

for boots danners are nice - depending on your environment i would suggest muck boots for cold / wet areas i use my muck boots in the winter unless its a decently warm day (for winter that is) otherwise they are too warm and waterproof all the way to the top

http://muckboots.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=OS

for hiking shoes ive had great experience with tevas they have there own version of waterproofing i think its called event - definitely worth a look http://www.teva.com/productdetails.aspx?g=m&productID=4103&model=Riva%20eVent
thats the same pair ive owned for 2 or 3 years now still no leaks and ive used them for 2 mile runs alot last year when i was laid off / they are great hiking shoes

I got a pair of Rockies Warm Gear. Super comfortable, very well insulated, and the battery heaters when necessary. They have been holding up really well, look really good, and very nice and warm!!

Weren't cheap, but they have been well worth the money...

DK

I don't reall want really warm it doesant get that cold over here -2 c is about the worst I just hate having wet feet all day so I want somthing to keep them dry

I loved my Danners......until my wife bought me a pair of Kenetreks. Very expensive, but well worth it. Very high quality, comfortable, supportive, and waterproof. Kenetrek is where it is at for me.

Another +1 for Danner RATs. Surprisingly light and very comfortable for as tough as they are.

I bought a pair of Lowa Zephyrs 3 years ago. Wear them a good bit every week from Spring through Fall. I got the non-gortex type for comfort during the hot Summer months. They were very comfortable from the first time I put them on through today (wore them all day yesterday). Can't recommend them highly enough.

[img:left]
LowaZephyr.jpg
[/img]

About 5 years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Hanwag Mountain Lite GTX's. I've hiked many hundreds of miles in these over the years. Very comfortable, durable and waterproof. Most excellent for the Winter months and any time I'm hiking distances. Expensive, but I've found them to be worth the money.

[img:left]
HanwagMountainliteGTX.jpg
[/img]

Bottom line, there are lots of places to save money. Boots are NOT the place. Spend what you need to get the best, most comfortable boots for your needs.

dont know if anyone else has mentioned them since i only got through page 5 but Russell Moccassin makes really nice boots. they arent cheap but they are custom made to your foot.

recently ive been trying to stay farther away from boots with really pronounced heels (like most modern boots) since, honestly.. the large heel was originally to keep your foot in a stirrup, and I dont ride horses. if you try something with a more 0 rise you may not go back. i've noticed knee pain going away etc.

anyhow, that being said, its really hard to find anything that is both sturdy and low heeled.

Lowa Tibet GTX and a pair of Chaco sandals.

Danner... hmmmm...

I've worn Danner boots since 1977 and used to like them.
THEN:
1. A pair of full grain GTX Danners W/ Vibram soles from Cabela's broke the right arch "stay" and clicked with every step.

2.A pair of Danner lightweight GTX Danner backpacking boots BROKE all the way across the left sole at the ball of my foot.

Cabela's refunded my money on both pair of Danners.

Now I dunno about Danner quality. My last two pair of backpacking boots were Merrill and <span style="font-style: italic">they</span> hold up very well.

Whatever boots you get for duty sniping absolutly <span style="font-weight: bold">MUST</span> have no yellow Vibram sole labels and teh soles must at the least be all black but preferrably brown, tan or green - except in snow environmets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LWRC556 said:
Sneakers will fall apart anywhere other than urban pavement.
</div></div>

Now that's just not true. Perhaps your average pair of of New Balance or Nike's, but a good pair of hiking sneakers (Merrell comes to mind) will last for hundreds of miles, even when bushwacking.

For hiking I use Merrell Stretch Chameleons (shoes) which used to be available in Goretex, but no longer. For hunting I use Under Armour Speed Freek.

I've had pretty good luck out of a pair of Asolo FSN 95's. The Asolo Fugitive's are great boots too. My favorite used to be the Danner Strykers but they don't make them the same anymore. Oakley Assaults used to be great but I don't care for them as much anymore. If you like a stiffer boot Kayland makes some great boots. In my experience you really just need to see what boot fits your foot the best.

IMHO
Short answer I have 2 pairs of Danner's and one pair of Merrell's

For LONG hikes.... Merrell's hands down way better

Danner's are good just not really long stuff ie week in the Windrivers with 55lb pack not as good

I've had good luck with my Danners but am trying out a pair of Scarpa Bhutan GTX boots. So far so good with no complaints. Time will tell but it's all looking positive. If not for buying these I'd have gone with the Asolo Fugitive, another great boot option.

vibram five fingers...once you try them, your feet will never want to be trapt again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dchavez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vibram five fingers...once you try them, your feet will never want to be trapt again. </div></div>

Yeah five fingers in the feild... you do that. Anything rocky, your feet will pay. Anything with a lot of weight bearing for long distances, your feet will pay. If you have to walk threw any med high grasses and your toes will be clogged full of folliage.

Yes I know people have used them for log distance ruck events, but Its a liablility in the feild, one missplaced step under weight and your begging for a mid foot fracture. Theres a reason boots are used, and that most have a reinforced shank built in.

Meindl Canada or Canada pro.

Serious water proof comfort with rigid (enough) support hiking boot. it is one of the very few high top boots that provides excellent ankle support for heavy packs, rock shuts, and nasty side hills.
If you dink around in real rough terrain I do not believe there is a finer boot.
I think they call them the Taiga and Dovre now. The Dovre having a better rock rand and more stiffness.

I own 2 pairs of Danner Ft Lewis and they offer none of the support the Meindls do.
Good all round hunting/shooting boot though.

peace

Russell Mocosins PH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oboz Wind River

0382e70f-19c9-4d75-87c1-9402b1bb7af5.jpg
</div></div>

+1 for Oboz Sawtooths. I bought a pair on a whim and I am really pleased with them.

I had a pair of Keen Targhee II, they are very comfortable and I put many miles on em. Then one day after about 8 or 9 months of wear they sole seperated from the upper. So I returned them for another pair. This pair lasted 30 days or so, they were returned for the same issue. I tried two more pairs with sole seperation issues before I switched to the Oboz. FWIW Keen had no issues accepting the issues and said they had a bad lot of glue or something to that effect.

For my next trail/hiking boot I want to try a pair of the salomon or salamon boots.

I have worn striker II's by Danner for a couple of years now and they have held up great. there light weight and tough as nails.

I'm in love with my UnderArmor Speed Freaks. I've been wearing them DAILY and just commented this afternoon that I might start working out them.
If their work out, track, fitness shoes are anything like this....I'm already sold.

I have a pair of cocorans i've had since i joined the military almost 5 years ago. I've never changed boots through air assalt, airborne or regular duty. Love them and all my higher ups keep telling me that my clothing allowance needs to buy new boots.
It's not all about the boots either in my opinion either. Socks and inserts help out a lot!

My feet are very strong to begin with since i run barefoot sometimes I will wear my Vibram five fingers to run in but mostly barefoot.

Danner RAT boots. Hands down no questions asked. I've put in over 30 miles of trail runs, humps, mud, rain, sleet while wearing these in the past month and I love them to death. I'll be buying another pair shortly. The leather is the softest and most comfortable of any boot I have ever worn and the sole provides unmatched traction in adverse conditions. Not to mention they are warm and very waterproof.

My top picks for boots that I have worn. The three main boots I hunt, hike or work in.

Hanwag GTX Alaska. I have these on my feet right now. I use them for Hiking hunting and sometimes work.

Danner Desert Acadia. I use them in the summer for patrol and lite hiking

Nicks Hotshot for fighting fire, woods work.

Each one of these boots I use at one time or another during the year just depends on what I'm doing.

I have (3) pairs of the Elk-Hunter Danners with air-bob soles. All of the boots have had an air-bob tear off during my hunts, leaving a gaping hole in the sole of the boot that lets moister in and warmth out. When I contacted Danner about the marketing mistake they made with the air-bob soles, Justin Warren at [email protected] responded "The Danner Bob is not meant for rocky terrain, compared to something like the Kletterlift sole."
I don't know where Justin hunts elk, but I hunt elk in Colorado in rocky terrain, and I EXPECT MY DANNER ELK_HUNTER boot to go where I hunt elk. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DANNERS!
Dave Schroder.

+1 for the USMC combat and jungle boots. Mine are still good after 6 years of abuse, wore out 3 soles in them.

I have (4) pairs of these now, (2) 6" and (2) 8".
Running and gunning, office, yard work whatever.
I love them.
no break in period, easy to put on, LOVE zippers.
Laces dont break because you only have to tie them once:)
water resistant, composite toe, and the wife says they look good.
These guys ship fast and have great customer service.
http://www.desert-gear.com/converseboots.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOWA ZEPHYR
Lowa

They make them in a Low, Mid, and High, so you can pick the level of support/protection that you need, but also keep the size/weight down to a minimum. They also offer some models with or wihtout Gortex depending on what you prefer.

Plenty of folks in the Special Ops Community putting a lot of miles on them with good results. Lowa is constantly updating these and adding new features based on feedback from the field, as such check into which model you are buying because they are changing quickly and a retailer may still have an old model/version in stock. Fair warning, they are not cheap, but as they say you get what you pay for!

MERRELL SAWTOOTH
Merrell
Also per above, it is another good option, but they only offer it in a Mid size.

ASOLO FLAME
Asolo
Another Mid Size option.

Each of the above have their own strenghts & weaknesses, comes down to which features are most important for how you will use them the most.

I always loved how the Military wore "Combat Boots", that in most cases turned most troops feet into "hamburger", and it took how many years before they finally started adopting boots that were actually designed and made for long duration walking/hiking? If you take a look at the civilians who are into "serious" hiking/climbing they are wearing Asolo, La Sportiva, Lowa, Merrell, and Vasque, they are not wearing "Military Combat Boots", and there is a very good reason for that!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

+ 1 for the Lowa's! Just got a pair of the Lowa Mid GTX's. Best boots I've EVER owned.They go for around $200.00 but well worth it. I'll never own any other kind now.

Garmont T8. I will swear by them until I'm out. I'm on my third pair right now and they've usually lasted me about a year and a half. Doesn't sound like a long time but that includes a years work up with a Recon plt and a tour in Iraq. 2nd pair was another year work up in SE Asia and many many miles in the jungle. I've used them in the water, desert, jungle, and mountains. They're light, dry quick, and I've taken them for hikes out of hte box without blisters.

I use Lowa Tibets. They're spendy but very comfortable and supportive. I only wear them during hunting season, otherwise I use Danner for both work and everyday life. I may also pick up a pair of Kenetreks at some point.

BTW, the only danners I've had good luck with are the ones made in POrtland. I wear them everyday for work (manufacturing), and have destroyed the chinese ones. I'm on year 3 of my Acadia steel toe, and I wear them every day.

I get Danners at half price. I also use some new 5.11's that I like for light weight, tennis shoe like boot. Tan sole blends in to the desert scape I'm in. Black soles stand out when prone in light environment.

Danner Pronghorn

Another vote for the Garmonts. I wore a pair every day for a Summer in Africa, and they are great. Still have them and wear them regularly three years later with lots of life left. They are the only boots I've ever had that did not give me blisters. I did not get them until the day before I left for Ethiopia, so I did not get a chance to break them in properly, but that did not seem to matter.

I wear Danner Ft. Lewis boots in the cooler months and Danner Acadia boots in the warmer months. Both pairs of boots feel like high-top running shoes to me. I've had the Ft. Lewis boots resoled by Danner twice and will but another pair when these are worn to the point of not being repairable.

Picked up some Bates RAT boots at a good price. Made in the USA, fit like a glove without blistering and have held up pretty good for the last six months. I wear snake boots in the summer. I may use a snake gater with the bates this summer.

LWRC,
After 17 yrs in the Army I have amassed a boot collection that would stagger the mind. Today (and in iraq) I wear Blackhawk warrior wear while in uniform. Great to run/jog on hard pack or concrete. I am looking for Nike Air tech in a gortex running shoe and currently use Nike Air tennis shoes for running. For a BUG boot I would choose the Blkhwks. I like merrils qtr gortex boots but they do not hold up very well.

I wear Danner like everyone else, althoughgh recently I picked up to pairs of Oakley boots from usstandardissue. THey are kinda hard to describe but they are great for light terrain and. They come in two models a 'wet' boot and a dry. They look basically identical they are all multicam, the wet book is an honest to gd boot that is made for use u/w for your infil to the beach, then use on land and then back into the water for exfil. They actually fucntion in echange for booties with your fins. They have a bunch of small dainage holes that keep they dry.

I use them diving all the time but also for use in wet environments I think there great. Most every time in conventional boots I end up soaking my feet no matter what happens, at least this way they are designed to drain out and use no absorbant cushioing.