• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What lube is everyone using

Re: What lube is everyone using

usually just use rem oil on most parts then a thin application of shooters choice on lugs of my bolt action.

now. . .if you going to use your gun in the shower, use a silicone based lubricant so the water wont dillute it so quickly.

I usually use what is available..plenty of it. Motor oil, lithium grease, auto grease, sewing machine oil, etc all have been used. So far it has worked out well. I'm sure that there is better, or more expensive stuff. But, I figure having lube available and in use is far better than holding out for super-duper brand X lube. In a perfect world, I would have Tetra grease, CLP, Montana Extreme grease and oil. Failing that, almost anything will keep me happy. I'm fairly pragmatic.

Never tried carbon powder. I haven't tried any powders since the bad news about graphite and aluminum came out. Fortunately, I had some graphite, but hadn't used it yet...still have the bottle of it around somewhere.

Carbon powder does work. I used it in Iraq as well as mil tec. However, I started using Hoppe's Elite after i ran jout of mil tec on my suppressed AR and I have to say it keeps the rifle cleaner. After 40 rounds with mil tec the carbon was so built up if you kept a round in the chamber for 5 mins or so when you ejected the brass it was covered in carbon. Since I started using the Hoppe's elite I havent had that problem regardless of the temp out side. also noticed on stainless uppers/barrels would not start to rust or show anything from being outside temps to inside temps. Had a problem with my XDM 9 with the stainless upper but the elite took care of it.

Boron Nitride (.5micronHBN) mixed with Slide-glide or Mobile synthetic grease. Slicker than owl shit on a kitchen floor!

Mobil 1 0w30 and run it WET. There is no advantage to skimping on oil, besides maybe pasing a white glove test, but guns that get used should never pass that anyway.

-matt

I use miltec and have never had a problem in any type of weather and on any gun both DI and piston

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the heck is Kentucky jelly? </div></div>

LOL

miltec is messy narsty stuff that ill never use again. it lubes the print right off the labels of any container its in and try washing the crap off yer hands.

Mobile 1 in 10W30 and Synthetic ATF in a 50/50 blend. I mix it in a 1 Gal Gas Can I keep in the shop to refill my Lucas Gun Oil Bottles. This should be very close to what Lucas has in the factory gun oil bottle to start with, per an Instructor buddy of mine.
I use it on everything on the place that needs oil on it.

For things that need Grease I use RIG +P Stainless Steel Lube. It is formulated for SS Semiauto handguns to prevent slide to frame gaulding, it also works great for me on everything else needing grease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K-Y warming gel.</div></div>

lol. Crap, that stuff's expensive.
I'm sure it makes her purr.

Slip 2000 EWL, seems to be great stuff

I use LSA and NO you can not have any of my stash. I remember when we transitioned from LSA to CLP. Big mistake. CLP is a compromise and does not lubricate as well as LSA did and does not clean the bore as well as bore cleaner does.

Locate some LSA and you will be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Astro Glide. </div></div>
Hmmm....I dunno about that one. Kinda curious what you lube your AR for!

Lucas gun oil and Break Free wipes with CLP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slip 2000 ewl is the shiz. </div></div>
Amazing stuff. Don't need a lot either. This stuff is far superior to anything I've ever used.

I picked up some Gunzilla. I'm pretty impressed with it. Before that Hoppes #9 and some Breakfree CLP.

I use Ultima-Lube (By Bill Wilson) on my Wilson combat elite, a combination of Weapon shield oil and grease on my REPR, and Eezox on my shotgun.

get_loose_big.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">Then of course for my pleasure, roll that ribbed Trojan inside out</span>

Astroglide or Pur. Pur is great stuff, pure German engineering, specifically made for anal sex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ram4X4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Astroglide or Pur. Pur is great stuff, pure German engineering, specifically made for anal sex. </div></div>

"Pjur"

Slip 2K EWL, just started using it for a couple weekends now and my AR's are running nice at -30.

I used MIL LSA for years. Then CLP. JUST got back into AR checked in here to see what's new. Rem oil seems kinda slimy, collects dirst (dirt and dust) as do most petroleum products (they break down under heavy use at the worst possible time).. They would probably be as good as 30 weight we used to dump on the M2... Kept it firing for hours in some pretty nasty areas. But I don't recall ever having to take out a herd of varmint that we're danger close.

My point? Besides the one on my head, lubricarion is a choice. Maintenance is a requirement. as long as your rifle is clean and lubricated, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as its not WD40. Turns to concrete when it heats up. It's a water dispersant not a lubricant suitable for weapons that fire and get warm.

There are probably a lot of people in here that know way more than I do about ARs so take this and all the advice and make a choice. I do know that if you keep it clean it and lubricated to match the climate youre in your AR will cycle and function fine. if you want to use synthetic oil or CLP or Rem oil or other that is choice you make. They all work, some better some awesome some not so good, just stay away from WD40. A clean, lubricated AR has never failed me, and I've been around the block a time or two.

Best quote I've seen here...
cool.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders </span>

Over the past 25 years of shooting I've tried a lot of lubes.
CLP, Militec, Rem Oil, Bearing Grease, TW-25B, Slip2000, MP-7 etc. etc etc.

If your not using your gun hard, pretty much anything will work. However dirty hot guns like good lubes. For about 4 years I was using TW-25B grease exclusively on pistols and long guns. I started using it in Iraq, as I had learned Militec sucked ass in Afghan, and that the dry lubes downright sucked. CLP was okay if you used enough.

Probably 2 years ago I went back to Motor Oil, I used it a bit in Afghan as it was a lube I could get. Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W40
Unlike CLP it does not get carbon into the skin, and I'm a pretty big pussy these days... When you think about it a car engine and a semi-auto/auto firearm have a lot in common, and I know the racing companies spend a ton in R&D, more in a day than a Firearms lube company, and that those insights would likely pay off in a gun. It does, and for several hundred thousand rounds I've been using Mobil-1, on my personal and work demo guns.

However several months ago I switched a few guns over to Froglube, I have been very pleased with the results. Its 'green', and unlike Motor Oil does not move around, leak etc. I don't think its as good a lube on a heavily used suppressed gun, but I have about 2,500rds on my SR-25 without a cleaning (well I cleaned the barrel) and its holding up well - even suppressed.
However on a 11.5" select fire demo gun, it starts to do what TW-25B does and start to get gunky - all the carbon starts to turn it into near cement. However unlike TW-25B it seems to get wet again when shoot a bunch. TW-25B will dry out if left on for a while (of course we never let our guns sit do we?).

I do use MPro-7 for cleaning still (and KG or Slip's Carbon Cutters) NOTHING IS A TRUE CLP, the freelunch is not free.

slip2000 ewl for overall lube and ewg for high contact areas, for instance the slides on auto pistols.

Kevin,

I am with you on the mobil one and frog lube. I am slowly starting to migrate all the comp rifles over to the wintergreen wonder. The SR15 was the latest one to get stripped and treated. When the QD4 shows up we will see how it holds up to suppressor use. But as you said, it will get wet again when it gets hot. weird, but it works. Even the garand and some bolt guns get the "grease" version and it works very well. It impressis me more every time I clean the rifle, and when I shoot it. No malfunctions, and they do feel slick.

For bolt guns, an AMU friend of mine swears by the STP for slickness. I'll have to try that.

Been using full synthetic motor oil for last 10 years. I'm in a humid climate where dust isn't a major factor and run em real wet. Haven't found any gun it doesn't work well on yet.

I use dry lube (Liquid Wrench) since my rifle spends most of the time riding in the patrol car. It is sufficient for several mags worth, it does not run and does not attract sand.

When I head to the range to put a significant number of rounds downrange, I normally use motor oil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggenius29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TW-25</div></div>
Same here

im ricky bobby and if you dont use militec then fuck you!!!