• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What lube is everyone using

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
What lube is everyone using on their gas guns?
Do you use a different oil with your DI vs Piston guns?
Do you use any lube at all on a coated bolt like a POF?

I've been using CLP for years and I've found I'm using way too much and making my cleaning job much harder. Just wanted to get an idea on what everyone else is using and what technique they use.
What are the key parts that you oil?

Re: What lube is everyone using

Depends on what movie im watching.. Oh I mean..

laugh.gif

I use a light layer of Rem Oil or other similar products on most of the moving parts in the upper on my POF. I would say a very light amount on the piston that touches the carrier and a thin layer on the carrier and all the functional parts that it is comprised of.

SS

FP-10 now made by Shooter's Choice. Been using since Desert Storm. I use it on all my AR rifles 5.56-.308, Shotguns, bolt rails on bolt rifles and my duty handguns everyday.

Good lube

Now my M1, M14(M1A) rifles as someone once said they where built as farm machinery for farm boys going to war. Farm machinery runs on GREASE. I use either good old US Mil rifle grease, Lubiplate or Shooters Choice Gun grease

+1 on the Mobil-1 Synthetic, but if the label saying gun oil makes you feel better SLIP2000 EWL is good stuff. Remember to run em wet.

Whatever synthetic motor oil laying around, Mobil 1 at the moment. In the spring when wind blowing fine sand like a banshee Rem Dri Lube.

Has anyone used Mil-Tec? Sig suggests you use it on their handguns.
It says you have to shoot it to heat it up and it bonds to the metal.
SIg says it's the best lube out for what it's worth.

My vote goes to Slip 2000 EWL. I've been using Slip products for 3 years and have tossed everything else I used in the past.

Tetra grease? I have been using it on my 308 and 223 AR's with no ill effects. It doesn't burn off easily either. I have some castrol syntec 5-30 sitting around too, I will give that a try next. Seems like an economical solution when you consider that a 4oz thing of whatever tacticool lube people like is 5-10 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used Mil-Tec? Sig suggests you use it on their handguns.
It says you have to shoot it to heat it up and it bonds to the metal.
SIg says it's the best lube out for what it's worth. </div></div>

Its all I use on my guns, my Ar's, my work guns, my home guns.

I use fcp-10 and i have some tetra-grease. Tetra grease, just a light light coat on the back of the BCG for my POF 308. As far as Mobile-1 goes, i was suggested a while ago, from POF, that 5w-30 works well.

MIL LSA and Wilson Combat optima lube (grease)on bottom of bolt carrier where it contacts hammer.

What the heck is Kentucky jelly?

+1 on the Miltec. I used it in Iraq on my M-4 first and then on auto AK-47's. I was an instructor for the Iraq Police force (Active Marine not contractor)and we shot almost every day. I currently use it on all of my guns at home and for work (LEO). Currently I use it on my full auto MP5/.40 and my auto M-16 at work. It has done a great job and I always wondered about the cold weather but someone already said it worked great in cold weather so I know what to carry to Alaska on my bear hunt in the next few years.

And YES you need to cover the metal parts of the gun and heat it to firing temp to get the best results. The bottle says upto three times. I done it once on my M-16 when I was issued it and just to see if there was a difference I did it twice on my MP5. I couldn't tell any difference between the two. I also run it on my duty Glock, Off duty glock, duty AR-15 (Rock River), AR-10, personal AR-15. Pretty much everything except for my shotguns and revolvers.

Good luck and watch your 6

what he said...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300LW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote goes to Slip 2000 EWL. I've been using Slip products for 3 years and have tossed everything else I used in the past.
</div></div>

Militec-1 and mil-comm grease.

The militec does make the metal "feel" slicker after repeated use. At least to me it did. Been using it for almost 8 years. It's almost the same as what mobil-1 synthetic is with some other stuff thrown in there to make it stink. haha

Militec-1

The mil-comm grease is TW25b and stays where u put it. I use it on my bolt gun and AR rails and bolt parts. Mil-Comm

I've never had any issues using BreakFree CLP. I'll run 2k rounds in an AR-15 carbine with no cleaning and just an occasional squirt of CLP in scallop of the carrier through the ejection port.

After about 2k rounds all carbon has kinda turned into this thin slurry that has the consistency of black grease paint.

Wipe everything down after 2k. Spray with Carb cleaner. Wipe down again. Run Schuster MFG Carbon Scraper. (Occasional thwack with hammer for ever 5 or so revolutions.) Scrape tail of bolt and flange of firing pin. Scrub down parts with toothbrush loaded up with CLP. Re-assemble. Scrub chamber with AR chamber brush.

I really believe that CLP works. And the main reason it works is because it doesn't allow carbon to stick to itself or other things. Only carbon build up I see is where CLP doesn't have a chance to stick. (Back of bolt, inside rear of carrier, flange on firing pin, neck area of chamber. High pressure and temperature areas.)

If they get that bad.
put in parts washer.
Blow clean and add kroil or WD-40.
It's fucking cold out here right now.
Spots of Kluber lube would work right, if you wanted a grease.

Miltec-1 is where its at. I used it in Iraq and it totally beats out CLP. I wouldn't use CLP on anything, I had a gallon in my arms room that seperated. As a cleaner I use Strike Hold on my AR. Its not as harsh as Gun Scrubber or Carb Cleaner but it does very well on carbon. Miltec-1 just needs a super thin layer. If the weather is cold then LAW works super. RBC does a pretty good job too if you can get some.

I think this thread shows there is a lot of stuff that works and works well if you USE it and keep up with maintenance. I've been intrigued by the Mobil 1 references as I have that stuff in all our vehicles.

I've been soaking bolt parts in CLP and then wiping off, and apply a light film of Montana Xtreme gun grease on my semi autos. But I'll check out some of the products I've seen you guys post about about.

Scott

AFTEC grease for 99% of everything but have been testing a new lube dubbed "Santiago Sauce". Nothing like lubricants designed by DOD/NASA engineers that are gun guys.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What weight for the Mobil-1? </div></div>

I use 20-50w V-twin Mobil 1 from spring through fall on everything from pistols to rifles (except bolt action triggers which I run some lighter fluid through and a single drop of eezox).
When winter and sub freezing temps come around I switch to 5-30w Mobil 1.

The cold makes the heavy stuff too thick, but the 5-30w stuff is fine down to -10F on my AR's.

Brian Enos' Slide Glide and MilTec. If I know it's going to be cold, usually RemOil as it doesn't seem to solidify in cold temps.

I wish they made an afforable Ultrasonic cleaner that you could fit slides, HG barrels, BCG's AND a 16 inch or less ar barrel.

I've only used rem oil but after reading other posts I am going to try Mobil 1!

There is a new player on the market for high quality lube.

Its made here in Kentucky and its Called Advanced Weapons Lubricant.
Ill get the specs off my info that I have in my office but its awesome stuff.

They make a hunting, heavy weapons lube (MG's, Mini Guns, all auto's), and a bolt gun, AR10, AR15 lube that I have been using on all my firearms and it is outstanding performance! It is not overpriced for the amount you get.

The hunting lube is all natural and can be ingested without harm.

I really like the MilTec. I have found that using a heat gun to get the parts really warm and coating it with the MilTec works better than doing the firing cycle.

Valvoline Hi-Temp lithium wheel bearing grease. I've used it on everything for years and never found anything better. The only exception is using TW25 on a titanium-receiver gun. Seems to work better on the Ti.

It's $4 for a one pound can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What weight for the Mobil-1? </div></div>

0 weight is what we are told to run.

It's good stuff, they sent me a bunch to try so I use it on all of the builds before I send them out.
I have been using Mobil 1 for years.