• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What precision rifle would you pick for 308 win?

308 precision rifles!

• Cadex

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • PGW coyote

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Barret Mrad

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Accuracy international

Votes: 88 52.1%
  • Tikka T3X a1 Tac

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Custom!

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • TRG-22

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

Proxemus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2018
Looking into a new rifle, I currently have a Savage 10BA (I have a Schmidt and bender pmii 5x25x56 on it so I think I got the good optic figured out before someone suggests that lol ). Kind of looking for something that's better. Smoother bolt for follow up shots and accuracy is the biggest thing im looking for. I usually shoot around 400ish yard and going to start shooting further. The rifles I have in mind. Reminder im shooting 308 and kinda want to stick with it. And I love the look of the tactical style rifles. And really don't want a modified rem700.
1 PGW coyote
2 Cadex
3 Barrett mRad
4 Accuracy international
5 Tikka T3x a1 tac
6 Custom (state what it is)

if you like the look and feel of tactical stuff (nothing wrong with that at all), then your probably better served with a chassis of some sort.
1. they do have the look
2. you can mix and match parts (shorter or longer forearms, rails etc) easier.

also a must have today is caliber interchangeability, youd be a "fool" not to buy one if your spending a a good chunk of change.

with all that being said if your looking at those price ranges and manufacturers go with AI, there is no debate.

i have a Tac-ops and another custom 308 that shoot as good (i only shoot factory with my 308's now, the ammo is so good ) or slightly better than my AI @100 for groups. at distance or banging steel there is no accuracy difference.

and by better my AI is around the .4" and my tac ops and custom are .3's upper .2's if im shooting really well that day, also 5 shot groups not 3.
if i havnt shot in a while or am not feeling it that day there is no difference.

At 600 1MPH is pushing the 308 +/- 3" left or right. 1 MPH difference in wind call from shot to shot is the a bigger difference than any of those choices accuracy wise.

did i say buy the AI....not sure.

TRG-22's are really accurate.
had a TRG-42 for a while just never got comfortable behind it. i like the pistol/thumbhole grip more than "classic" or thumb to the side grip.

what rednecbmxer said

if you are pressed on .308 AT THE MOMENT, get a set up with the ability to easily swap barrels. Take it from me, it won't be long before you get the urge to switch calibers.

I just went through this with my savage 10 .308. learned on it, had a lot of fun, but recently switched to 6.5c and I'm very happy I did.

If you're stuck on the 30wait, I'd probably go AI for a factory rifle.

Bighorn or ARC and a barloc for a custom route. I'm also with the above poster insomuch as you may want to try faster or flatter calibers in the future so it's nice to be able to change barrels yourself.

Get behind an AT before you jump. Remember, you’re married to the chassis. I tried a member’s here and fell in love.

So I’ll hopefully be getting an AIAT (.308, 20” threaded, non-folder) one this December.

Custom? I’d go Mausingfield/CG Extreme trigger/Barloc and whatever stock you like.

AI hands down. And next year you'll be trying to offload your factory 308 barrel for $300 like everyone else, and buying a 6 or 6.5 barrel for the REAL fun haha

If you looking for just a .308 the Steyr SSG-04 at $2k good option. Half what you would pay or most of the other rifles you listed. I put over 7000 rounds down the tube before I had it re-barreled and it still shot .60 groups . I also have AI's and love them. The only down side to AI is they are heavy. The easy AT barrel change for me is a must. Good shopping.

Reactions: coltm4
AIAT. I said the same thing about sticking with 308. Now I have a 6.5CM RPR. If I would have just spent the $ in the first place I could have one rifle with any cal I wanted -With the ability to still easily shoot the other calibers.

Triggers atrocious? Mine is as nice as the AI's I've shot - and I've shot them plenty. Can't say I've had any feeding issues at all either. I don't run rear bags as the rear monopod works well in my usage. Mag changes I'll partially agree with, as they are so damn low to the shooting platform/bench! Each to their own :)

I would also Possibly suggo the DTA. I have one as well as an AXMC and yes for certain situations the AI might be better, but not for all. If you ever plan to hunt then the DTA would serve you well as you can run a magnum caliber or so many other calibers so easy depending on your hunt.
Also, I do prefer 2 stage triggers so yes I like the AI trigger better, however I wouldn't call the DTA trigger atrocious by any means. It's a pretty good single stage trigger in general. I've also never had any feeding issues short or long action. I've got 223, 308, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 saum, and 300wm so I feel like I've tested it enough.
That being said, the ergos are definitely hit or miss for some people and based on the poll options I voted AI.
Maybe consider the Curtis Vector, I've got one on order.
I think between the AI, DTA, or Vector, you can't go wrong because they can all switch barrels/calibers easily. No matter what you get you'll eventually want more haha welcome to the sickness.

Reactions: Balataspin
IF you're going to stay with the 308 I'd say get a TRG22. It's as nice as an AI AT but $1k cheaper. But if you're going to be like most and go to 6.5/6mm get the AT/AX. It's so nice to be able to go from 308 to 6.5 in a minute.

You mention that you would like to stick with the "tactical" looking chassis type rifles. Those are very popular today & lots of options.

One note you may not have thought of if you don't have to have a chassis rifle:
You can pick up some really good deals on TacOps rifles in .308 since that caliber is not very popular. If you plan to stick to only shooting the ammunition they are built for (usually FGMM 168gr), they will shoot amazingly well.

Barring that I would go with an Accuracy International.
There are lots of choices.
You can of course go top of the line AX (post 2014) probably in the $5k to $7k range
Then there is the AT ones which would be in the $4k range
Then there is the older AX ones (pre 2014) which would be in the $4k range
You could go old school with the AW ones (if you can find anyone willing to sell), probably in the $4k to $5k range
There are also really good deals to be had on the AE MK II and MK III models, probably in the $2500 to $3k range

The AI rifles are very solid, hold their value exceptionally well & are very easy to reconfigure.
If you have a AX or AT made 2014 or after, you can change the barrel in about 5 minutes with a torque wrench
If you have an AW, AE or an AX made before 2014, you just need to have / borrow the barrel change kit & it's 30 minutes or less.

All the other choices you mentioned are excellent options & it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

The main advantage to the Accuracy International is you can get new barrels from all over the place and they go on easy with no special gunsmithing needed, so you can swap between different barrels, such as a 1:12 if you want to shoot fast / light close range, then 1:10 for mid range stuff, then 1:9 for the monolithic solids, or 1:8 for really heavy or subsonic stuff. Also if you ever succumb to the 6.5CM itch, it's just a 30 min barrel change away.

Damn, I wish I could shoot a accuracy international or a TRG-22 or even a tikka t3x a1 before I decide to drop this kinda coin on a gun.

Sako 85 varmint stainless laminated.
With this rifle you add mobility and the option of shooting the very challanging event hipower metallic silhouette.
AIAW 10 round double stack mags can be modified to fit the factory bottom metal.

Last edited:
Another vote for DTA.

I own 9 precision rifles including a TRG-22 and an SRS A1, but I shoot my DTA more than the other 8 combined. Haven't tried out an AI yet, but probably will eventually.

Damn, I wish I could shoot a accuracy international or a TRG-22 or even a tikka t3x a1 before I decide to drop this kinda coin on a gun.

Post up your approximate area and I’d bet there is someone close that might be willing to meet you at a range and let you try one out. It’s worth a shot anyway...

I would not spend this much money without atleast feeling the chassis. I absolutely hate AI ergos and love TRG ergos. All of the rifles listed are phenomenal but each person will have their own likes. I was dead set on an AI until I found one and tried it, ended up coming home with a TRG instead.

As far as the DTA, I'm not crazy about the trigger hand ergos, don't like pistol grips, but the rifle balances so well and is so short it's a pleasure to shoot. The biggest thing for me is the ability to play with different rounds in a somewhat cost effective manner and the accuracy is great.

Definately try before you buy, or buy used at good deals so you can flip them if you don't like them.

De facto answer is AI and for good reason.

To defend desert tech a bit. My trigger is excellent and breaks crisp at 1.25 lbs. look up the trigger mod and you’re good to go. Quick barrel changes, and barrels being done by a number of people now. More barrel support than any other platform equals biggest nodes I’ve ever seen and crazy accurate. True 1/4 moa rifles. Yes mag changes and positioning can be a bit funky. My bolt runs just fine. Can’t be beat for compact suppressor shooting. Truly unique.

All that said, I’ll throw in the new Tubb ATR which I’m about to really start wringing out. New 20” 6.5 proof barrel just arrived and another 6XC barrel. This system also has a lot of barrel tennon support. The custom mags allow more versatility on cartridges. Not a true long action but short mags seated long are going to shine here, then single load ELR stuff. Excellent trigger and lighter than AIs.

I just bought an MRAD in 338LM and it would be a ridiculously heavy option for 308 unless you were pretty sure a 338 barrel was in your future plans. I agree with many that you should buy something that will be easily convertible to 6.5c.

voted custom

then AIC, or Cadex, or Tikka whichever your preference. my rifles have been built by GAP. very happy with BOTH

I prefer the sako trg out of those choices. The AI is a close second and desert tech is 3rd in my opinion. Customs are nice but why wait when you have such great factory options.

The sako trg is one of the most overlooked rifles out there. Absolutely awesome stock. Bulletproof action and the best freaking trigger you will use.

I've had the Sako and they are very nice.
The easy change of barrels without any difficulty is the killer feature for the AI series.

It's a nice feature but I don't know what all the fuss is about using a barrel vise. It doesn't take that long and most people aren't changing the barrel out at the range. I don't even take my trg out of the stock to change the barrel.

If you do get the AX or AT I recommend that you get a pre set T-handle torque wrench. I use a 6nm so its 53 inch pounds. I use it on both the AT and PSR.

Has the RPR fallen out of favor? Didn't see anyone mention it.