• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What scope for my 338 Lapua

Los338

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Hey guys i am new to this forum I am a retired Sheriffs Officer I recently got hurt arresting some sh*tBird and had to retire.. Anyway started getting into Longrange shooting and I just bought a Savage Arms 110 FCP HS in 338 Lapua I am wondering what would be the best scope for shooting long range 1000 yards +.. I really like Leupold Optics or NightForce just not sure which magnification to go with. The one scope i wass thinking of getting is the Mark 4 LRT 8.5-25x50 M1 with iluminated reticle. Do you guys think thats is the way to go? Just looking for suggestions my budget is 1200-1800. Thanks guys

Re: What scope for my 338 Lapua

nightforce, depending on what your shooting, 8-32 or the 5.5-22 with the npr1 or npr2. that would be my choice. give me a call

Jay is GTG. I would recommend NightForce as well. IMHO, it appears a bit clearer to my eyes compared with the Leupy. I have both. Lately, I have gone S&B route. It is by far the best IMO.

I'm throwin in another vote for Nightforce. I love mine. As far as magnification, either will do the trick at 1000yds. Difference in real long range will be internal adjustment. The 5.5-22 has 100 MOA elevation adjustment while the 8-32 magnification has only 65 MOA. 5.5-22 will allow you to adjust to further ranges, but around the 1000 yard mark they will both do the trick.

5.5-22x50 NPR1 with Zero-Stop on my 338 EDGE.
Guns1039.jpg

Guns1042.jpg

You need to look at the available elevation adjustment more than the magnification. You can shoot out to 1800 yards with an 18X scope if need be but getting the scope dialed that far out is the real challenge with many models. I would start with a minimum requirement of 75 moa adjustment for whatever scope you are considering. Some of the Leupolds won't get there....
I own a .338LM and can tell you that while my scope has held up fine, they are very hard on optics. I am not a big fan of NF (glass is mediocre at best), they are very durable and would be a good option. I would give up a little magnification to get elevation if I had to make a choice....

Another vote for nightforce. I'm looking at a 5.5-22 for the edge I'm about to build

Another vote for the NF 5.5-22. They actually have a little more than 100MOA on the high speed editions. I called up the nightforce cause I thought it was broke cause the turret keep turning and the engineer told me more than 100MOA is normal, have 112.5 MOA. And for the bang for your buck can't go wrong and warrenty is great too if you ever have to use. S&B 5-25 is great too but too rich for me, a buddy of mine has one.

I just shot a DTA 338 Lapua with a SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50 . The combination worked worked well together.

for the price and quality id go with the HORUS HDMR, although their is nothing wrong with nightforce or leupold, if youre looking for a mil/mil FFP with 20 magnification (more than adequate for 1K) the hdmr is good shit.

Another vote for the NF 5.5-22. Pick one up off the boards and never look back. It's in your price range and has no real competition in that range. 5.5-22x is more than sufficient for 2000 yrds.

Wade.

My problem with my 2 Leupy 8.5-25's was that it looked like you were looking down a dark tunnel with limited FOV. I sold them off and got some 6.5-20's which I felt was a better scope. They are correct about elevation. The Leupys only have 75moa which will hinder you when you decide to push that 338 farther. The HDMR or S.S. will fit the bill for your application quite nicely. Never been a big fan of the NF myself.

In you price range a used Vortex Razor, US optics or Nightforce would serve you well. Personally I like the EBR2 reticle of the Razor, it's FFP, has zero stops, illuminated, and more elevation than you will most likely ever need. You won't be disappointed with any of those three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote S&B PMII 5x-25x with P4F mil/mil. Jay is GTG. </div></div>

Excellent Choice! This is what I am using on my .338, a little over your budget but well worth it in the long run.

Here's my two cents FWIW......

I have owned two .338LM's, on both, I have run the MK4 LRT 8.5-25's.

My current set up is an MLR 700 with a 20 MOA Badger base and the MK4. I have no complaints with the older MK4's (both of mine were 2004-2005 models). My current set up nets 49 MOA and will get me on at 1500 or so.

My advice, in your budget, go with the Nightforce. That's coming from a Leupold owner. I myself, am planning on selling my MK4 and upgrading to an NXS. The MK4 has served me well, but is limited on elevation. Having owned Nightforce in the past, I can say you won't be disappointmented. Check the px section, you can run across a good used one well within your budget.

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it. I have been looking at the Leupold cause i have there Mark AR on my Stag 223 and its a nice scope but I know for this 338 savage I need something that will have what I need. The S&B is really nice but its out of my price range, the NF is basically just in my budget I really wanted to keep it towards the $1500 then more but if a few extra $$ is gonna make the difference then its worth it you know.

Mine wears a NF NXS 3-15 f1 and this scope works really well, giving me around 110 MOA/30 mils of usable adjustment. With a little holdover this will reach to 2500 yards and is a simple scope to operate due to FFP and mil on mil.

TheNF NXS 5-22 is my second choice. It just comes up a little( not much!) short in usable elevation and is not available in FFP yet.

I recommend you also get a 40-45 MOA base so as to get all the elevation you can out of whatever scope you choose.

I would up my budget just a few hundred and go with a used USO before the
new Nightforce. A 3.8x22 on a 35 or 34 tube would be ideal. Older eyes appreciate
the better glass at those higher powers.

Reactions: Ropewalker

night force 5.5-22 w/ the mlr reticle, fast knobs and zero stop.

Question ? some suggested a ffp. I was always told the mil dot ranging started to fall apart after 1000yds or so. Is this not true?

Whatever you chose to buy, make sure you torque the rings and mount property and CHECK it regularly. Big magnums like the .338LM like to vibrate screws loose over time, resulting in a bad day at the range wondering why your group just went from inches to feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you chose to buy, make sure you torque the rings and mount property and CHECK it regularly. Big magnums like the .338LM like to vibrate screws loose over time, resulting in a bad day at the range wondering why your group just went from inches to feet. </div></div>

I agreee, blue locktight is a friend on the 338....

In the sub-$2k range, I like the three scopes I recently tested for my "High End Tactical: Part III" article:

SWFA SS 5-20x50
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
Bushnell/Horus HDMR 3.5-21x50

All three would work well. For the money, I have a slight preference toward the SWFA SS 5-20x50, so it found a home on my DTA SRS 338LM.

ILya

Lazuris, I recommend FFP for calling misses,making corrections and hold overs. FFP can be used to hold over at any power and calling hits when on lower power settings can be done without concern for what power your scope is on.If you ever shoot past what your elevation can adjust for the reticle can be used for hold overs. I have used the MLR 2 reticle out to 2500 yards. We had 26 mils dialed and had to hold over an additional 10 mils. ( I have since upgraded from a 25 MOA base to a 45 MOA base so next time I will be able to dial 30 mils and hold over 6 mils ).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex Razor 5-20 has 100 MOA's of adjustment. I have one, so I'm admittedly biased. </div></div>

Vortex website says 125.

Hey guys again thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.. I ended up call Sport Optics and what a great decision Chris was way more then helpful he took the time to go over evey option and explain every little thing to me. It was refreshing to actually speak to someone who knew there stuff they were a world of information for me and the best customer service I have dealt with to this point I got alot of wrong information till I spoke to these guys, if your looking for a scope call Chris.. Anyway I ended up ordering the NightForce NXS 8-32x56 NPR-1 and i am glad I did.. Once I get it i will do a full review its going on my Savage 110FCP HS. Cant wait

^ +1

I'm expecting an NF NXS shipment tomorrow from Chris as well. Very easy to deal with on the phone. There are quite a few great venders that hang out here and I talked to a few of them. When I talked to Chris at Sport Optics I could tell right away that was where I was going to buy my scope. Our conversation just clicked.

I have to add, Mike at CST was quite helpful as well, but there was this in state tax thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ +1

I'm expecting an NF NXS shipment tomorrow from Chris as well. Very easy to deal with on the phone. There are quite a few great venders that hang out here and I talked to a few of them. When I talked to Chris at Sport Optics I could tell right away that was where I was going to buy my scope. Our conversation just clicked.

I have to add, Mike at CST was quite helpful as well, but there was this in state tax thing. </div></div>

Hey i see from your sig we both have the same 338, how do you like it I just ordered it so I havent shot it yet, This is my first 338 lapua so i am excited to say the least. Yeah man Chris took he time and really explained every single option of the scope up and down I am new to long range shooting so he was very patient with me it was a great experience. I was gonna just get a Mark 4 8.5-25X50 but he told me the NightForce was the way to go he said it was between the 5.5-22x56 or the 8-32x56 and for what I was looking to do we agreed on the 8-32x56 and its .125 MOA.. It doesnt come with zero stop but I really wasnt looking for that anyway.. What rings did you get did you go for the Ultralight Nighforce Rings? Post some pics when you get everything together...

8-32 doesn't have as much adjustment as the 5.5-22 (100MOA vs 65MOA), but unless you're planning on shooting beyond 1000 yards often it won't be an issue. However, if you want to stretch that 338 out you will want all the adjustment you can get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8-32 doesn't have as much adjustment as the 5.5-22 (100MOA vs 65MOA), but unless you're planning on shooting beyond 1000 yards often it won't be an issue. However, if you want to stretch that 338 out you will want all the adjustment you can get. </div></div>

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong I am new to this, is that with the 8-32 with .1 adjustents I would have more range when stretching her out I figure I want to really get into the 1000+ and thats why I went with the 8-32?

The Premier 5-25x has 30MRAD / 103MOA on internal travel. Double-turn knob dials up to 27 mils for the automatic zero-stop.

Say 300gr Scenar @ 2700fps is ~23-mils / ~79 MOA to 2000yds from a 100yd zero.

How do I calculate the MOA base to get? 20 MOA? 30? 40 MOA?
--

I could be very wrong but I just take the MOA needed say 79 moa and take the base I want off of that. Unless you meant waht base to get to retain 100 yard zero. In that case I would like to see if anyone has a calculation as well.

Also, sorry to hijack but what is a good base with more than 20 moa for the savage long action on my .338 edge build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Premier 5-25x has 30MRAD / 103MOA on internal travel. Double-turn knob dials up to 27 mils for the automatic zero-stop.

Say 300gr Scenar @ 2700fps is ~23-mils / ~79 MOA to 2000yds from a 100yd zero.

How do I calculate the MOA base to get? 20 MOA? 30? 40 MOA?
-- </div></div>

Google online ballistics software. If you have an iPhone, iPad or Android based Phone or Tablet there is some really great software you can download, one is called "Shooter".

To get a good idea if point of aim can be adjusted for a range, say 1760y, the ballistics software will tell you the bullet drop. In the case of Factory Lapua 338LM 300gr Scenar at 2750fps and a 300y zero (leaving out Atmospherics for simplicity) the bullet drop at 910y would be about 20MOA. So a 20MOA incline base would keep the scopes elevation adjustment near center. At 1500y the drop would be about 49MOA and at 1760y 67MOA. The 5.5-22x50/56 scope has 100MOA of internal elevation adjustment (top to bottom, so only 50MOA center to top). I need 67MOA to reach out to 1760y, but the scope only had 50MOA. With a 20MOA incline base I now have about 70MOA of elevation rise but that takes the same amount away from the bottom end.

So with a 20MOA base and a scope with a total elevation of 100MOA a 1mile shot should be with in range of point of aim, but just.

If you want to go out to 2000y with the same ballistics as above I show you would need 88MOA of elevation, so a 40MOA base would likely be needed.

Here is a good article explaining some basic optics and ballistics theory that covers this some,
http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Los338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8-32 doesn't have as much adjustment as the 5.5-22 (100MOA vs 65MOA), but unless you're planning on shooting beyond 1000 yards often it won't be an issue. However, if you want to stretch that 338 out you will want all the adjustment you can get. </div></div>

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong I am new to this, is that with the 8-32 with .1 adjustents I would have more range when stretching her out I figure I want to really get into the 1000+ and thats why I went with the 8-32? </div></div>

The .125moa increments just give you a finer adjustment but do not extend the point of aim adjustability for extended ranges. The 8-32x56 has a total elevation adjustment of 65MOA top to bottom. Center to top would be about 32MOA. With a 0MOA base and a 300y Zero, you will be topped out with the scopes elevation around 1150y. Not a big deal, you WILL want at least a 20MOA base, maybe more, to extend the point of aim range. See my post above.

By the way, many of the Savage 110FCP's and where shipped with 0MOA EGW bases, mine did. If you want to change out the base you must find a base that uses #8-40 screws (most are special order). See this post for what I used,
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2935167#Post2935167

This weekend will be my first outing with the 110FCP. No point taking it out until I had everything I wanted for it. My Birthday is Saturday, so I bought my self the NF scope (Happy Birthday to ME!), it should arrive today.

I Gave Chris a call from Sport optics. And I have to say even if his price was more than else where I would buy from him.

I have to save a bit more money but once I do I will be buying the night force 5.5-22 with NPR1 and zero stop.

Chris I want to thank you again for taking the time out of your day to explain everything to me. Amount of MOA, zero stop use, why the 5.5-22 over the 8-32 power etc. In a simple way that really made sense as to why this scope is going to be the best match for both hunting and target use on my new 338LM savage.

Cannot wait to get this rig completed.

BTW my gun has A 20 moa rail... ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdmega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you meant waht base to get to retain 100 yard zero. In that case I would like to see if anyone has a calculation as well.</div></div>

Yeah, as I posted in my original question, I know how much elevation I need from the 100yd zero (~23 mils / ~79 MOA).

What I don't know, is there my 100yd zero resides inside that ~100MOA of scope adjustment (i.e. - is my 100yd zero near the center of the adjustment range of the scope?).
--

Shooter shows for a 300gr 338LM @ 2750fps

100y Zero,
1000y=26.6MOA
1500y=51.3MOA
1760y=68.2MOA
2000y=87MOA

300y Zero,
1000y=22.6MOA
1500y=47.3MOA
1760y=64.2MOA
2000y=83.0MOA

If you figure you will need 65MOA to make your shot with POA then I would plan to build in at least 70MOA in to the system.

These values are approximate and are calculated for my external inputs and setup. That said, I think a 100y Zero on a 338LM is kind of like a 25y zero on a .308, why?

Thank you for validating the ballistics yet again that I've already posted twice as well... I think we've got them established.

That's not exactly the question at hand.

Lets say the scope has ~100MOA of internal adjustment for elevation. That's about 50 MOA up and 50 MOA down from the center.

The piece I'm trying to understand, is where my 100yd zero falls in that ~100MOA of travel? Is it "down 20" with a 0 MOA base right off the bat? Meaning I have ~70 MOA (50+20) available? Or is "up 10", meaning I only have 40 MOA (50-10) left before I hit the top?

If the scope is about 1.5" above the center of the bore, does that mean I'll likely have to dial about 1.5 MOA down from the optical center of the scope? So I'd have ~51.5 MOA of elevation available with a 0 MOA base?

It seems a little silly with 100 MOA of internal adjustment that "only" 50 MOA would be available for dialing elevation -- not sure what the use-case would be for dialing 50 MOA down...

Michael, read this,
Its a 7 page article, make sure you read "Elevation Travel" on page 4.

In short, if you have a total elevation adjustment of 100MOA and you add a 20MOA incline base, you will end up having close to 70MOA of UP elevation and 30MOA of DOWN elevation. Like it or not, thats how it is. You will always have 100MOA of elevation adjustment, its just where center becomes your line of aim.

As far as scope height, again, read the article in the link above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you have a total elevation adjustment of 100MOA and you add a 20MOA incline base, you will end up having close to 70MOA of UP elevation and 30MOA of DOWN elevation</div></div>

Thank you. That's kind of what I ASSumed too, but I wanted to validate that piece.
--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael, read this,

In short, if you have a total elevation adjustment of 100MOA and you add a 20MOA incline base, you will end up having close to 70MOA of UP elevation and 30MOA of DOWN elevation. Like it or not, thats how it is. You will always have 100MOA of elevation adjustment, its just where center becomes your line of aim.

As far as scope height, again, read the article in the link above. </div></div>

Thats a good article for guys confused on how to think about what a MOA base does. It is all based on linear measurement, therefore all it will do is add adjustment to the scope. If you currently have a 100yd zero with a 0MOA base, you SHOULD now have that zero at the difference of the amount of MOA your new base will have. You will simply adjust that amount of MOA into your elevation and you ashould be pretty much dead on. It's much simpler than it initially sounds. Read up on this topic some and you should catch onto it pretty quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael, read this,
Its a 7 page article, make sure you read "Elevation Travel" on page 4</div></div>

Thanks. I recognized the link the first time. Since I've read that article several times, I didn't click on it.

I should have clicked it / read it again.

I'd always simply purchased a 20 MOA base in the past and just glossed-over that section of the article without giving it much thought.
--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter shows for a 300gr 338LM @ 2750fps

100y Zero,
1000y=26.6MOA
1500y=51.3MOA
1760y=68.2MOA
2000y=87MOA

300y Zero,
1000y=22.6MOA
1500y=47.3MOA
1760y=64.2MOA
2000y=83.0MOA
</div></div>

The bulk of my shooting to date has been in the density-altitude range of 6k' - 9k', so it doesn't take quite as much to get to those distances.

I think I'm going to go with the 40 MOA base. That gives me roughly 90 MOA of of elevation. The scope is capable of of dialing 27-mils up from zero, which is about 92 MOA.
--

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2935167#Post2935167[/url]

This weekend will be my first outing with the 110FCP. No point taking it out until I had everything I wanted for it. My Birthday is Saturday, so I bought my self the NF scope (Happy Birthday to ME!), it should arrive today.

I checked my Savage it has a 20 MOA EGW Rail. Thanks for the heads up tho I guess maybe they were shipping some out before with 0 MOA and now they ship out with 20 MOA. I am still wondering if thats enough or do I need a 40 MOA.. I am starting to wonder if maybe I made the wrong decision ordering the 8-32 maybe I shouldve just went with the 5.5-22... Well enjoy your birthday and give us a full review...

Since you already have the 20 MOA base might as well shoot it and then you will know for sure which base to use. For example, if you zero at 100 yards and only have 40 MOA of usable elevation you now know that you could easily run an additional 15 moa, which would equate to a 35 MOA base. This would allow you to have 10 MOA below your zero and around 55 MOA of usable elevation.

If you run a 40 MOA base there is a chance you may not get a 100 yard zero. My guess would be a 30 MOA base, but every rifle, base rings and scope are a little different so it is hard to make a good guess without shooting first. The 8-32 is a little elevation challenged but with the right base selection you should be able to make it work for you. The 1/8 clicks are kind of a pita, but they are very precise and might be your preference since it is your rifle! The critical thing is that the turrets match the reticle and you did that already ( the npr1is a great reticle, you will like it!).
If you like to play with numbers Brownells has an online sight adjustment calculator that will you how much adjustment is gained by changing the cant of your base, but you need a baseline to start with, so go shoot with that 20 MOA base.

There is nothing wrong with the scope you choose, even with the scopes with more elevation range you would likely need a incline base to help extend the range.

Funny that many guy will get up here to shoot and they issues with what the zero was at lower elevations. Up here 5300 is our base and we go up from there. We can pick up a big chunk of FPS.

We where shooting up near 7100 feet and I was coming in almost six inches high from my base line here.

Been following this thread as I recently picked up a 110 FCP HS 338LM and decided to call Savage. Spoke to Shawndy there this morning and the bases are supposed to be 20MOA from what she said. I've ordered a Ken Farrell SAV-RTL-B-1-30 (30 MOA) steel base regardless. The scope I have to mount is an IOR Valdada 3.5x18 35mm FFP Zero Stop Mil/Mil {22 Mil (80 MOA)} with steel rings.